Tuesday, January 26, 2021

Galatians 1

 Paul begins with an immediate call of his authority- apostle, an appointed representative with official status- sent by God (v 1). In case you had any questions about this- he is saying you shouldn't! Paul says that there are others with him on this journey (v 2), but never mentions them by name, and the letter is written to all the churches in Galatia- not a single church. 

Paul addresses the churches with his customary greeting "Grace and Peace" (v 3); grace is Greek culture and peace is Jewish culture (Paul uses the word grace over 100 times in his letters; it is used less than 50 times in the other new testament books). Grace and peace are what constitute Christianity. Why do  you think Paul addresses the churches with these words? Paul continues with the "purpose" of Christ- to deliver us from the present day evil. Do we feel that Christ is doing the same for us- delivering us from present day evil?

Paul then gets to the real point of the letter. At this point, he usually adds a series of thanksgivings for the church he is writing to, but here he comments (v 6), "I can't believe you turned away from God so quickly!" Interesting that he added the words, so quickly...not that they turned away, but it was so fast. Paul started the Galatia churches just a few years prior to this. I have noticed some people in my time that are all excited and enthusiastic about church and God, and then suddenly seem to disappear and get tired. Why does this happen? Faith and belief is a long journey. 

Paul talks of "the other gospel" (v 7). Some translation say "pervert" the gospel. Is there another "gospel" out there? There are people "out there" that twist and turn God's story into something that it isn't. Have you witnessed any of the "perverted gospel"? Paul goes on to curse those that brought the wrong message (v 8)-- even himself or an angel if they are preaching the wrong words! And as if cursing them once wasn't enough, Paul goes on to a second time (v 9)! Strong words for a loving Christian! What does this say about Paul's love for God and the message of hope and peace and grace?

Paul goes on to talk about his authority (vv 11- 12), something that he does often in his letters. Most people hear of Christ through others, but not Paul. He heard it directly from Jesus on the road to Damascus (v 12). That confirms his authority- Paul received the message from a primary source! I have had to "defend" my authority to preach/teach a few times in my career. People have questioned me about my calling. Have you had to defend your calling?

I love Paul's story in the remaining verses of this chapter. I'm sure you heard about how I used to be (v 13- 14): I wanted to be Jewish so badly, I wanted to follow the laws, I wanted to be committed to my family. But God had other plans (v 15). Oh, God and God's plans for us! How has your life been changed by God's plans for you that were probably different than your plans? Paul (in v 15) uses words similar to what God said to Jeremiah (1:5), "Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, And before you were born I consecrated you." How does it feel that God has plans for you? Paul essentially says he was called to convert from Judaism to Christianity (v 16). How does that settle with you- God calling someone to convert? Paul continues his story of conversion and tells us it was three years before he went to meet with the original apostles (v 18)- he learned much of the good news on his own- not from the apostles. Do you think it matters who he learned it from? What about us? It was odd that a new convert (especially one that persecuted so much) didn't meet with the original apostles sooner than three years.

Regardless of his training and his former life, the churches believed him (vv 22-23). Have people questioned your transformation? And when you witness to hem, do they believe you?

That's all for today. Enjoy the rest of the day and be safe!

Shalom+
Pastor Paul




12 comments:

  1. I absolutely LOVE how Paul starts his letters! Even when he was upset - as he was in his letter - his greeting wishes the Galatians peace and love and praises God. I understand that he would want to clarify who he was. Paul was feared by Jews and his reputation was well known. Paul was VERY determined to punish - even to death - all Jews who followed “the way”. And I think it interesting that he makes it very clear that he is not an apostle by men (as we know the disciples voted on a replacement for Judas) nor by what men taught him - but direct from Jesus. I think if you are going to “scold” someone you would need to make them completely understand why you have not only the authority to do it but also the knowledge!!! I tend to think that “new” Christians are like people who used to smoke (or any habit) and quit - they are very eager (in a good way) to tell people how they did it and why others should. I know a person who found God later in life and I was actually jealous of their enthusiasm for telling people about their love for God. I think people get a little turned off because things in a church setting move so slowly and the people you tell don’t immediately see that they should turn to God and embrace Him. When you hit a stone wall several time, your enthusiasm does get dampened down a bit. Something like Paul’s astonishment and disappointment that the Galatians had turned so quickly away from God! Paul had expected more. Perhaps Paul did not “visit” with the original apostles was because they were not comfortable with him - he was not only a Jew but a Roman by birth - and probably questioned his claim as an apostle since Paul did not know Jesus when He was alive. Was Paul maybe a little afraid to meet them wondering what his reception might be? Or maybe they would try to “change” his thoughts? In my Bible it says that those who “perverted” the gospel were Judaziers - Jewish Christians who believed that some things from the OT should still be followed - like ceremonial practices - in the new churches. I think that anyone who uses parts of the Bible to “prove” a point of view and builds their faith around that perverts the gospel. I think that Paul repeating his warning is very correct. Paul is trying to safe them - to turn them to Jesus - and he felt it was very important that they knew how grave their actions were. (In my opinion, I have to say, I wish we did more of that). I believe that God has a plan for me - I am not sure I am performing according to His plan or that He has more. Kindof wish that He would send me a letter making it very clear. I am excited to do this Book. Paul and David are my very favorite people in the Bible! (Besides Jesus of course! 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like your analogy of new Christians and recent smoking quitters-- enthusiasm and excitement about how great life can be! There is a difference between "long term" Christians and "new" Christians in their enthusiasm-- what happens?
      You bring up some good points! I am excited to read this book too!
      Thanks Donna!

      Delete
  2. Paul starts by introducing himself and that he has authority from Jesus Christ then the starts with a prayer wishing grace and peace to the people then also giving all glory to God. h
    He then tells the people that they are not to believe anything other than the Good News that he taught
    Not to believe in false witnesses. We so often stray from God and need to be brought back in as Paul was doing in his letter to the Galatians. Why even were the Jews in Galatia which was a Gentile nation? Were they there only to disrupt Paul's teaching I wonder. we need to keep our faith and believe in Jesus to be saved from our sins and not by any other way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do stray from God don't we...why? Good question about Jews in Galatia...I think by this time, nations were becoming more blended. The towns of Galatia probably had separate "sections"" for Jews and Gentiles.
      Good points Clara! Thanks

      Delete
  3. I have to be honest in that I have not read the whole Bible so I am very excited to be reading this and also reading everyone’s thoughts. The I part that really made me stop and think is...I pray that god will punish anyone who preaches anything different from our message to you. I hope god will punish anyone who preaches anything different from what you have already believed. I do have to remind myself that I have grown up with my faith and this was all new to them. I have over the years went to several different Christian denominations. They have all been very similar. I have also had people knock on my door to spread their word. I just politely tell them I have my own church. I also have friends who are Jewish and Hindu and I am respectful of their faith. I think I may be reading to much into this. I feel I do stand up for my faith and as far as gods plan for me who knows but I pray that I am being the kind of person he would like me to be because how could we repay him for our gift of faith.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven'tread the whole Bible either! And I am looking forward to sharing thoughts and comments with others- that is how we refine and define our faith!
      I am taking a class on the Reformation in Europe. We are in a section now where there is a bloom of denominations- Lutheran (of course) Zwingli-ism, Anabaptists, Calvinism-- they each have a slightly different take on the words that are in the Bible and their interpretations are slightly different. They were all correct! The point is- we all have faith in a supreme being (mostly God) but how we get there may be slightly different.
      Good points and thought Cindy. Thanks!

      Delete
  4. I am amazed reading about how much communication was happening in those days. Paul seems to have covered a lot of ground trying to teach, convert people, and start churches. He must have been a very good teacher to convert so many people.
    I am wondering if in ancient days, just like in the early days of our country, church was a central to communities for many reasons. Church was a gathering place, a place to find out the news, a social experience as well as a place to find moral and spiritual guidance.
    Now a days life is so very different. Everyone is "busy" all the time. At the Apalachin Library, where I work, we have almost stopped offering in person programming (before the pandemic when we could have in person programming) because of such poor attendance. People have so many choices of what to do everyday that our programs weren't a priority. I was a Christian Education Director for many years and quickly found out that we couldn't compete with everything else going on around town.
    Anyway, I don't know how I feel about the part about how God has a plan for you. I think he knows every person but the plan- don't we have free will to make our own choices and decisions? I'm like Donna- I wish I had instructions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Unknown!! Paul was very instrumental in starting many of the early churches. His fervor for Christ is evident in his teachings and I think his compassion for others took him to the distant places.
      Church was a gathering place, a place to meet and greet and catch up on information, but like you say- today people are too busy! I agree that there are too many competitors in our world- how can we continue to strive for Christian education though?
      God does have plans for each of us, but we do have free will and can make turns different than God intended...instructions would be nice!
      Thanks Cathy!

      Delete
  5. Paul's life from being a persecutor of the church to its chief proclaimed of the gospel. To the church's in Galatians grace and peace from God the father and the Lord Jesus Christ who gave himself from sins from the present age according to the will of God. Jeremiah name means the Lord's exalts. Befor I formed you in the womb I knew you, and set you apart and appointed you as a prophet of many nations. Paul's visit to Peter was to become acquainted with him, not to confer with him. Paul also saw James, the Lord's half brother, but did not visit the Judean church but sent a letter. I assure you before God, that what I am writing you is no lie.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You bring up some good thoughts Rose Marie...Paul did go through a great transformation! He had lots to say to many people and his passion for teaching was evident.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is late, but better later than never! In the times that I was liturgist at Little Meadows, I read quite a few of Paul's letters to the congregation. I don't remember seeing where Paul persecuted Christians before his change of heart and he became a follower of Christ, himself. I am so glad that we are doing this, even though I am often tardy, as I am so ignorant of the Bible and I wish to change that.

    It does seem like there is another "version" of the Good News from Paul's writing. If this didn't exist, why would Paul make such a big thing about it? He doesn't actually preach from it, but he denounces it in no uncertain terms.

    In verses 11-24, Paul is quite apologetic of his history. In reading some of the comments above, I come to realize that my own story is similar to Donna's smoking analogy. When I consumed the beer and felt so rotten later, I honestly believe that this was the Lord God talking to me and telling me to quit. I have only had a few sips of wine on special occasions since then. If this is God's plan for me, then I should be proud of myself. But wait, isn't pride a sin? What I am trying to say is that I haven't followed God's plan for me, even though I don't know exactly what it is. I know I haven't always been faithful to Him and I am still not at times, and I know that this is not what God means for me to do. Roadmap or not, I still am not faithful to God as much as He would like.

    ReplyDelete

A Final Post

 Good morning. We did it! The entire New Testament in a year. that is quite a feat! Thank you all for your dedication and work. It wasn'...