Friday, March 5, 2021

Hebrews 13

 This is our final chapter in this book. It has been difficult and confusing at times, but I think we did a great job working together and hearing ideas that made some of this more clear for us. This last chapter is a great way to end a letter to a struggling church. I am sure you will love it!

The author assumes that there is love in the community as the author says keep that up (v 1)! The love referenced here was the Greek word  philadelphia, coming from the root philia. This ancient Greek word spoke of brotherly friendship and affection. It is the love of deep friendship and partnership. There should always be plenty of this kind of love among Christians. Do you see this type of love in your church setting?

Welcome strangers (v 2)! Hmmm... radical hospitality is key to the continuation of the brotherly love that the author mentions. Early Christian society was all about sharing and caring and showing love through hospitality.  There obviously were few hotels/inns, so people were dependent upon others for staying when they went places. The mention of angels refers back to Abraham (Genesis 18) and Lot (Genesis 19) and how they welcomed. How does your church do in welcoming strangers? Is hospitality something your church cherishes?

I don't know if marriage was in question with the audience, but the author may think so as this next few verses deals with the sanctity of marriage (v 4). 

Be happy with what you have (v 5-6) and do not desire all the extras. God should be enough. It is hard when we struggle or when we see families struggling, but usually life does work out. I can remember one time, Sherri and I were discussing bills and money. One of the kids (I think it was Morgan maybe like age 5 or so, those of you that know her could see her asking this) asked me later, 'Dad, are we poor?" We weren't poor, it is just that money was tight. So, I responded, "We are not poor, we have each other and our family and love." That seemed to work, because she left looking satisfied at the response.

Keep in mind the leaders we have that are leaders in faith; the ones who taught you about God; the ones who modeled faith; the ones who were strong in the face of adversity. Who are the faith leaders you look up to?

There are plenty of false gods out in our world (v 9). I will be using 2 Corinthians 4:4 as part of my text for this coming Sunday. " The god of this age has blinded the minds of unbelievers, so that they cannot see the light of the gospel that displays the glory of Christ, who is the image of God." Some of the false gods (according to the author) is the old laws too. These don't get you to God; the only way to God is through a belief in God and Jesus.

The  next series of words (vv 10- 13) are somewhat confusing. The author is saying that the high priests had to go into the holiest of holy place to complete the sacrifice, however, with Jesus the cross was the altar and it was in the open for all to see. "The camp" and "the city" refer to the Jewish religion; anything "outside the camp" was unclean and evil. So, when the author says "Let us go to Jesus outside the camp..." (v 12), he is in essence saying that even though Jesus is outside the realm of Judaism, Jesus should still be followed and trusted. Remembering that Jesus was abused and beaten (v 13), we can look back at that and know that we will be good, even when we are mistreated.

The world is ephemeral, a temporary place for us to be (v 14) until we finally get to the New Jerusalem. So, let us continue to worship the God of the New Covenant, let us continue to do the work, let us continue to have the faith that is needed to gain a place in that New City.

In closing, the author asks for prayers "for us." We have seen that before, so maybe multiple authors?  And we can see that the author wants to be reunited with the Hebrew people (v 19) and asks for prayers for a quick return to them. We have talked about prayers form others for us and how that makes us feel good knowing that there are people that care enough to talk to God for us, about us.

The blessing offered by the author (vv 20-21) is very similar to the style of a priestly blessing (Numbers 6:22-27) "The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make His face shine upon you, and be gracious to you; the Lord lift up His countenance upon you, and give you peace." These final words give us a few tantalizing hints of the writer’s identity. But these words only tell us that the writer knew Timothy and that he planned to visit his readers soon. It also tells us that his readers were based in Italy, probably Rome.

"Grace be with you all." (v 25)

Remember, we are "off" for the weekend and will begin Colossians on Monday. I will post a brief introduction to Colossians probably Sunday afternoon to get us ready for this short (4 chapters) book. Keep in mind the decision about Luke.

Shalom+
Pastor Paul



10 comments:

  1. Well, I never knew Philadelphia was a Greek word for brotherly love. Now I understand why Philadelphians refer to Philadelphia as the City of Brotherly Love. I always thought it was because of the history there. (smile). Most of the time when I have read my King James Version it is very similar to the comments you have about your version. This time it seems to be a little more different. I like vs 2 - about entertaining strangers. If only, in this world, we could do more of it! We have to get really creative to do it today! I think a lot of churches do try to be welcoming and do want to, but sometimes miss the mark. My Bible refers "outside the camp" back to Leviticus 4:12 "Even the whole bullock shall carry forth without the camp unto a clean place, where the ashes are poured out, and burn him on the wood with fire; where the ashes are poured out shall he be burnt." So even back then, the sins of the people are symbolically transferred to the sacrificial bull , the bull had to be entirely destroyed. But the place where it happened was considered "clean". Just as our sins were cleansed by the sacrifice of Jesus "outside the camp". And, in my translation, vs. 12 goes on to say "Wherefore Jesus also, that he might sanctify the people with his own blood, suffered without the gate." I think the author is trying to make a correlation - saying - you believed that the sacrificial bull took your sins and was burnt outside the camp, then believe that Jesus took your sins and was the final sacrifice outside the camp (or gate). Make sense? My closing prayer is very different from yours and very different from the one in the Good News Bible - but the essence is the same and I do like it. I was a bit surprised that Timothy is involved in this. Which to me tells me that the author must have known Paul and be near him because Paul says Timothy never leaves him until he goes back on his ministry route. So Timothy is very close to both Paul and the author and has visited all of the people that both Paul and the author have written to. Or maybe the times are very different? Yes? I think this chapter is very uplifting and encouraging - even to today's readers! I also think it is easy to say be content with what you have when you have "enough" - when my kids were little I worked two jobs and always struggled to make ends meet - but I could make ends meet. Very different from not being able to make them meet at all! I will take Jesus' words in Matthew 25: 31-40 to heart and try very hard to do it! Looking forward to Colossians. Stay warm!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha!
      So how does a church become welcoming? There have been so many workshops and programs at becoming more welcoming, and then it seems to have been dropped!
      Yes, Levitical laws emphasized how to rid your sins and told the people what sacrifices were needed for what sins were done. Also the sacrifices women needed to do after giving birth, after their menstrual time, etc...lots of laws and "fines" to be paid!
      I like the addition of Jesus outside the gate that your text has...it adds lots!
      The additional knowledge of Timothy at the end helps some...I would assume that the author also knew Paul
      Great comments DOnna! Thanks!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the lesson of Greek about Phila certainly does explain Philadelphia being city of brotherly love.
    The author is reminding us to love one another.
    Remember the ones that are mistreated and in prison as if you were the one being mistreated. we should remember our leaders and teachers and pray for them. we need that now more than ever with the country in chaos what with the pandemic and threats against the government. WE should pray for our spiritual leaders as well and then mostly to Jesus as our most highest leader remembering to thank him for our many blessings and not to put earthly riches above him. The ending of this chapter reminds me a lot of Paul's writings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love conquers all!
      And Prayer helps all people!
      Thanks Clara!

      Delete
  3. I like Clara's comments about (1) the Greek meaning of Philadelphia, and (2) her comments about the country in chaos due to the pandemic and threats against the government. As for the country being in chaos, it seems to me that ever since Nixon, our country has become more and more polarized. I keep hoping with every new administration that things will get better and the two political parties will get along, but with every administration, things keep getting worse. There is now so much hatred in the country, both in and out of government, that I am not at all confident that our nation will survive. These days, you can't say anything without being accused of racism. The "cancellation culture" is running rampant. Now there is this huge fence around the Capitol building topped with razor wire. Please, please, please, won't this all just go away. I pray for our country's salvation and I pray that God will answer my prayers.

    In this chapter, we are told to obey our leaders in verse 17. Obey and submit to their authority so that their work will be a joy and not a burden. I was going to make a comment about the current administration, but with my rant in the last paragraph, I will not. I intend to re-make contact with our religious leaders here in Great Falls. Hopefully, when we all get our vaccinations, churches will open up again. Rhea tells me that they are looking to open on Palm Sunday. This will be good. We have been watching Little Meadows UMC on Facebook every Sunday. Since the service is at 7 AM Mountain Time, we watch it later. I feel the need to go to a live service in person. The first Sunday that we went to First United Methodist Church of Great Falls, we were made to feel very welcome as, before the service, the pastor, lay leader and several of the congregation introduced themselves to us and made as feel at home. Once everything opens again, we will probably join this church. The pastor made some comments about the previous administration that I did not agree with, but I am going to put that aside. I believe that once this pandemic is history, we will all be better for it. I cannot say these words without thinking of those who have perished. If what I just said is insensitive, I hope you will forgive me. None of us know what is coming tomorrow. Now more than ever we have to love one another.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear your pain in the division in our country, Jack. And I also feel the same division. I talk often about just getting along!
      I appreciate you and Rhea watching us via FB, and I agree that live in-person is much better. I hope that you and Rhea can connect with your new home church!
      The year long "lock up" has been tough on so many people and we are all anxious and still unsure. I would hope that when life returns back to a new normal we can begin to work together and be more united.
      Find peace, Jack.

      Delete
  4. First I am going to comment on Something Cathy said in Hebrews 12. As an adult I have come to realize that everyone doesn’t grow up in a home with loving parents and if you did it was the luck of the draw.
    I have not had the opportunity to attend Pastor Paul’s church but hope to in the near future. I have attended several different religious denominations in my lifetime. Most churches will say they welcome all but this is not always true. I have the good fortune to have friends who are gay and of color that are not always welcome.
    A faith leader who I admire and enjoy listening to is The Episcopal Bishop Curry. I feel he speaks to the people on a common level.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be great to have you come and visit Cindy. And I hear what you say about places saying they are welcoming, but they really aren't! I try to be welcoming and affirming of all people. I am quite liberal in my liturgies and style (as you probably can tell from here!). Hope to see you soon!
      Thanks for the comments Cindy!

      Delete
  5. This a positive ending to a sometimes confusing book. Love one another, show hospitality, remember those in prison, keep marriage sacred, free yourself from the love of money and be content with what you have. Finally something comforting “I will never leave you or forsake you.” Paul wishes us grace, that gift that is free to us and we cannot earn.
    Cindy, I don’t want to attend Central church anymore but I do like that it is a reconciling church. Love one another as I have lived you means EVERYONE, doesn’t it?
    I have to say that I think Pope Francis is terrific. Imagine a Pope speaking out for climate change, allowing women to take part in mass, and welcoming gay and lesbian Catholics to mass.
    Little changes but there may be more to come.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, I agree Cathy...we needed this easy transition to the ending of this book...it was tough at times!
    Our church is not an official reconciling congregation...it is a lengthy process that must be laity driven. However, I Welcome all people...all means ALL.
    Hope to see you some day!
    Thanks for the comments Cathy!

    ReplyDelete

A Final Post

 Good morning. We did it! The entire New Testament in a year. that is quite a feat! Thank you all for your dedication and work. It wasn'...