Thursday, April 8, 2021

Acts 20

 Good morning! I hope you enjoyed you day yesterday! Today looks like another beauty! The spring pollen is starting so allergy season is well underway here at the house!

We have been doing lots of talking about the amount of walking Paul and others did. Cathy sent an email last night about the longest continuous road in the world. The road, close to 14,000 miles, goes from Cape Town, South Africa to Magadan, Russia and travels through 16 countries! Walking 8 hours a day would take you 562 days of travel! Keep that in mind when we talk about Paul's travels!



The riots in Ephesus convinced Paul to travel west (v 1), across the Aegean Sea, to Macedonia (Modern day Greece). Paul had planned to take the long journey by sea directly back to Syria (where his sending church at Antioch was), but the plotting of anti-Christian Jews made him take a more overland route back through Macedonia, accompanied by many companions.These traveling companions of Paul (v 5) were probably representatives from other churches who had sent money with Paul to Jerusalem. They were also present as ambassadors from the churches Paul has founded among the Gentiles, and were there to vouch for Paul's good stewardship in regard to the collection destined for Jerusalem. 

Notice the word change in vv 5 and 6 again...from us to we.Is Luke back in the mix again?!

Notice also the word usage in v 7 "on the first day of the week..." This is the first time we have of Christians making a practice to gather together on the first day of the week for fellowship and the word - though here, it seems they gathered in the evening, because Sunday was a normal working day for them. Assuming he may not see them again for a long time, Paul preaches until midnight! Some commentaries say his message was over 6 hours long! Could you sit for a six hour sermon?! I should try that sometime!  A miracle occurs as the young man, Eutychus, falls from the window to the floor and dies. Paul brings him back to life and continues as if nothing happened! Paul really has their attention now, and continues until morning!

Paul probably stayed a while longer in Macedonia (v 13) to make sure Eutychus was good. Paul by-passes Ephesus (v 16)- possibly knowing he would need more time with them then he had. He planned on getting to Jerusalem for the Passover festival.He did call a meeting with some of the elders of the church though, so they wouldn't feel upset that he passed them by. Does it bother you when someone by-passes your home to go someplace else?

This meeting with the elders shows us a different side of Paul. Most of the time in Acts, we see Paul the evangelist; but here we get a unique picture of Paul the pastor - what was important to him as a leader and shepherd of God's people. Paul first calls attention to himself as an example. Not an example instead of Jesus, but an example as he follows Jesus. Are you an example of Christian life?

Paul comments that his message is open to all (v 21) by mentioning both Greeks and Jews. Paul didn't know what was ahead of him (v 22); he even had reason to believe it was bad. But that didn't trouble him. He could give it all over to God even when he didn't know what would happen.  Paul recognized the dangerous road ahead of him (V 23); apparently he had received many words of prophecy telling him of this danger already. Yet he is not dissuaded by danger, but willing to lay down his life. Could you do that- go into something that you know would be possibly life- threatening?

Paul counsels the elders (v 28) to take care of themselves and watch what they are doing-- effective leadership flows from a good life, not just knowledge.We get the familiar shepherd-sheep analogy common through Jesus' ministry (v 28). Then a stern word of caution to the "shepherds": It is often easier for pastors to deal with the wolves that come from the outside - obviously false teachings and unstable doctrine. But it is very difficult to deal with those who rise up from your own group (v 30)  because you don't want to believe that they are in fact out to draw disciples away. Do you know of any wolves from within the flock? Paul concludes (vv 34- 35) by trying to communicate his heart, his motive in ministry. He wasn't in it for himself, but for God's glory and for the building up of God's people.I have said several times in my ministry at Little Meadows- I am not in it for the money- I am in it for the people! Do we know of pastors that are in it for the money and fame though?

Paul makes a statement (v 35) that Jesus said, "It is more blessed to give than to receive." However, I don't think Jesus ever said these words in our four canonized Gospels! That's ok though, because I am sure there were many things said by Jesus that didn't get recorded!

A tearful, emotional parting as Paul and the elders with prayer, tears, and a sending-off party, believing they would only meet again in eternity. This shows us that Paul was not a cold dispenser of doctrine, but a warm, pastoral man who loved his people greatly and won great love from them. Does your pastor have those feelings?

Short chapter and not much drama! Next stop- Jerusalem!

Enjoy the day ahead of us!

Shalom+
Pastor Paul


8 comments:

  1. Cindy, I hope every day you are feeling stronger and in less pain! I totally understand how hard it is to be patient - not my strong point either!!

    Cathy, what a great story about sharing God with your neighbor's daughter. I do not do that well and that is so wonderful that you took advantage of that opportunity. I agree with Pastor, I think stuffed animals get to go with you!

    I loved the road that Cathy shared. I think it would be great to be able to walk the entire length - but it would take me much longer then a year because I would always be stopping to take in the sites!

    It seems odd to me that the NT has the four gospels, which are the stories of Jesus, and then mostly Paul and his writings or travels. The NT does not give us very much on what happened to the other apostles after the resurrection of Jesus. And I find that odd since there were 11 of the original apostles - where are their stories of what they did after? It seems that some are only mentioned in connection to Paul. I would have a hard time sitting for six hours - I would have a hard time sitting for three hours - but, in the 1800s, in America, people traveled a very long time to hear speakers in other cities and listened to them for hours. But then, we have become spoiled with TV - commercials where we can go do something else and recordings that we can pause and come back to later. Paul is walking, traveling, preaching. I wonder - in vs. 26 in my Bible Paul says " Wherefore I take you to record this day, that I am pure from the blood of all men." Do you think some of Paul's drive comes from his regret of his past life? When he was acting more Roman then Jew and striving to bring to "justice" people following The Way? And here Paul proclaims his feeling that he had become justified? Even though Paul does go into situations where there might be danger for him, he also takes precautions. All through Acts he does not go into places where he is warned there is danger, and even avoids the Jews who lay in wait for him when he is about to sail for Syria. I think Paul will go wherever the Holy Spirit leads him, no matter what the danger, but I think he also "listens" when the Holy Spirit is giving him forewarning. I definitely could NOT go where I think there might be danger. However, if I had an intimate relationship with God/Jesus - spoke to Him - had been given a sign direct - MAYBE!! Better to give then to receive - something my Mother told me many times as a youth. But not recorded as having been said by Jesus. I agree - I am sure that Jesus must have said many things that were not recorded - plus some things are recorded in one gospel and not the others. Paul has said many times that he did not get the gospel he preached from man but through the revelation of Jesus Christ. It is possible that Paul got that through a revelation. And I don't think that Paul read the gospels since they were probably written at the same time as Paul's travels or maybe even after? In vs. 6 Luke mentions "after the days of unleavened bread." which means they were observing Passover. Easter and it's observance is not mentioned in the Bible. I did a little research - just a bit - that does say that converted Jews did continue to celebrate Passover but with new meaning - including the last supper. ???? My Pastor is both - compassionate and a teacher. I hope I am a good example of a Christian in both my actions and words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do wonder what the others did after Jesus's resurrection! They had to have done something, right?
      I think some of Paul's passion comes from his former life of persecution. I think that happens to us...if we have done things wrong, we try to make amends, and sometimes go overboard.
      The Holy Spirit has guided me to a few places that I didn't think I needed to be...but I guess I was wrong. I do question what the Spirit is thinking at times though!!
      The original Jewish Christians probably held on to some of their more sacred festivals (Passover being one of them). According to "Britannica" the first recorded "Easter" celebration was in the 2nd C. It is believed that the word originated from "Eostre" or "Eostrae"-- the name of the Anglo-Saxon goddess of springtime and fertility!
      The death and resurrection of Jesus was probably tied closely to Passover for many years.
      Great commentary Donna, Thanks!

      Delete
  2. Cindy, good to hear that you got thru the surgery and are now on the mend . Continue to heal and get well .
    I think Paul was on that long road with all the walking he did. His feet must have been very sore and swollen by days end.
    This chapter does a lot of going from we the they so I believe Luke did join again with Paul at this time.
    Paul hear of a plot to kill him by non Christian Jews and goes another way than originally planned to Syria. In Troas Paul shared the Lord's supper with some believers and started preaching for a long time in and upper room. A young lad was sitting on window ledge and got sleepy and fell out he window and dies. Paul rushes out and brings him back to life (actually the Lord brings him back with Paul as the vessel) Paul continues to preach as if nothing has happened.
    in the morning they all go home including the boy alive and well.
    Paul continues to preach repentance and faith for salvation. He feels that his life may be in danger but says he will continue to spread the Word no matter what the trials may be.
    Paul meets with the elders of Ephesus and tells them that he may not see them again and they believe him He tell them to beware of false teachers and to watch over their flocks that even ones in their own mist could rise up and cause problems. It is and emotional good bye as Paul sails for Syria.
    It is a beautiful day today. I hope you all get to enjoy it.
    My Pastor is caring and kind, a great teacher, an excellent example to his flock just as Paul was (He even hikes a lot)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. About Paul's swollen and tired feet...I know how I am after just a 10 mile day! I can't imagine that day after day after day!
      You have some good thoughts Clara! Thanks!

      Delete
  3. I'm sorry I missed yesterday - it was a strange day. my neurologist told me that he thinks I should have the deep brain stimulation (DBS) done on my other side. I have been waffling back and forth as to whether to do it, but he put me over the edge. So, off to Billings I shall go, probably in the summer.

    Cindy, I am very happy that you are on the mend from your surgery. I pray that your good recovery continues.

    Paul does seem to attract his share of trouble, but someone who is doing the work of the Lord as he is, is bound to find lots of riots, fights and whatever. Look at his history when he called himself Saul. He was not of an upright character who was steadfast in the way of the Lord. What a difference between who he was then and who he is now. He teachings now may provoke riots since they are controversial. Before, he just caused trouble by who he was.

    Paul wants to return to Jerusalem, but he is fearful of what will happen when he gets there. He is afraid he will be imprisoned. But he then says something that I could never do. He states that his life is worth nothing too him (verse 24). He just want to complete the task given to him by Jesus of "testifying to the gospel of God's grace." He apparently doesn't get to complete that task as he is preaching from a jail cell in the letters to the churches in Philippians and Colossians which we have already studied. If I knew that I was going to jail when I returned to a place, I would steer far clear of it. Paul was an amazing man.

    I want to close not by plagiarizing the last sentence of Clara's comment, but by saying that I agree with it 100%. There are few Pastors around like you have in Little Meadows and you should all consider yourselves very blessed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yikes! Jack! Praying for the best!!
      I agree with your comment/thought of Saul v Paul. Christianity is a controversial topic! Especially 2000 years ago! I am guessing it was seen as just a new religion that people were trying to start!
      Paul was big at commenting about the "unimportance" of his life in comparison to Jesus'. In many of his epistles he says something similar!
      ;) Thanks for the comments and thoughts Jack!

      Delete
  4. Donna, I have been thinking exactly the same thing. After the story of Jesus' life, death and resurrection, most of the NT seems to be about Paul. Of course Paul's mission in life is help people know about Jesus. A lot of the books so far are quite similar in the way that Paul and others travel a large area spreading the Word, teaching about Jesus. Without Paul, the NT would be pretty short. His constant confirmation of how we should have faith and believe helps to cement our thoughts, I guess.
    Can you imagine being able to "perform" a miracle? I can't imagine bringing a boy that fell three floors back to life. A couple of years ago I took a CPR course. The instructor told us that successful CPR is actually bringing someone back to life. Restarting a heart and reestablishing breathing is probably done by medical personnel all the time. I guess that's a miracle. I have to wonder if we ever help miracles happen and we don't even know it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will have to do some investigating about he other disciples! That may make an interesting teaching moment in church!
    I have never done CPR Or saved someone's life...but that has to be a miracle! I am sure there are "miracles' that happen that we aren't even cognizant of!
    Thanks for the comments Cathy!

    ReplyDelete

A Final Post

 Good morning. We did it! The entire New Testament in a year. that is quite a feat! Thank you all for your dedication and work. It wasn'...