Wednesday, April 21, 2021

Romans 1

Good gray morning! Dark, cool, windy, and rainy up on our hilltop now- maybe snow later?! I planted onions and some brassicas (cabbage, broccoli, Brussels sprouts) yesterday, so I hope we don't get too much! Lettuce and spinach are up in our raised beds and covered with windows to protect them! Early farming has risks!

Acts was a great story and we can now all appreciate Paul's drive to get the gospel message out to all people. It was a long book and I think we are all ready for a change now though! Romans is probably one of the most influential (non-Gospel) books written. Here are some comments I "harvested" from the internet about Romans:

  • Martin Luther praised Romans: “It is the chief part of the New Testament and the perfect gospel... the absolute epitome of the gospel."
  • Luther’s successor Philip Melancthon called Romans, “The compendium of Christian doctrine.”
  • John Calvin said of the Book of Romans, “When anyone understands this Epistle, he has a passage opened to him to the understanding of the whole Scripture.”
  • Samuel Coleridge, English poet and literary critic said Paul’s letter to the Romans is “The most profound work in existence.”
  • Frederick Godet, 19th Century Swiss theologian called the Book of Romans “The cathedral of the Christian faith.”
  • G. Campbell Morgan said Romans was “the most pessimistic page of literature upon which your eyes ever rested” and at the same time, “the most optimistic poem to which your ears ever listened.”
  • Richard Lenski wrote that the Book of Romans is “beyond question the most dynamic of all New Testament letters even as it was written at the climax of Paul’s apostolic career.”
Let's see if we agree!

It is agreed on that Paul wrote Romans while he wintered over in Corinth during his third missionary journey (mid-50s AD)- eventually getting to Jerusalem (remember from Acts 21 the warning he received about trouble in Jerusalem). Paul had been actively preaching for about 20 years at this point! It is thought that this letter was written so comprehensively that, if he never made it to Rome, the Romans would understand the Gospel story. This letter is different in that it focuses on God's plan of redemption and salvation rather than addressing a specific church and its problems!

Paul begins (vv 1-6) with his typical greeting that we have sen ion a few other letters we have already read. Interesting note- the word God was written seven times in these seven introductory verses. In the book, the word God is used over 150 times- an average of once every 50 words or so! Clearly, the focus is on God! Paul goes back to the beginning and comments that God has always had a plan of salvation- it wasn't something made up from people (v 2) and that Jesus is both divine and human (vv 3-4). Paul emphasizes that Jesus' resurrection was through his own power (this addresses a comment from someone-Donna?- last week about Jesus being the first resurrection). 

Paul had never been to Rome and did not start the Roman church (v 7)- the church seems to have spontaneously formed when Christians began to settle there. There has been some discussion that the Apostle Peter started the Roman church, but that is up for debate- still! Paul is grateful for the church (v 8) because they are in a highly visible city and the entire world is focused on Rome and what happens there. Paul adds that he prays for the Roman church "every time he prays" (v 10). Imagine if we prayed for churches (other than our own- because I know we always pray for our own church right?!) every time we prayed! Paul emphasizes his desire to get to Rome, but the possibly unlikeliness of it happening. Paul emphasizes again his drive to preach to all people (v 14)- again remembering that not all Jews accepted his inclusivity. 

Paul then issues his "thesis statements" for the letter. "I am not ashamed of the Gospel" (v 16) and "Salvation comes to those who believe" (v 17) are the two points that Pail will drive home in the next several chapters! First addressed to the Jews, and then opened to all (non-Jews, some translations say Greeks- not as in people from Greece, but all others), a model used by Christ and the disciples. 

Get ready for some tough words from Paul- the human race deserves the wrath of God (v 18). Collectively, humans are ungodly and unrighteous! We know God, yet we ignore God (v 21) and we change the image of God to fit into what makes us comfortable. Do we still do that today? We reject the truths of God, we worship things that are not God, we do things against God. We are bad!

So, what does God do? God lets us continue on our path of destruction (vv 24+) and allows us to feel and experience the full result of our self-destructive sins! Does that sound like God? Part of these words are from Paul's environment. Remember- he is writing this from Corinth- a city well known for all imaginable (and probably some unimaginable) forms of sexual immorality and ritual prostitution!

Paul then says some hard words for me to hear and listen to. The next two verses (vv 26-27) are on homosexuality and Paul's commentary. My opinion and thoughts- and I know people do not agree with me- when I see homosexual couples- I see love and compassion and togetherness between the people. Are there promiscuous homosexuals- sure- but there are also promiscuous straight people too. I think one of the big issues if the promiscuity of either "lifestyle" that Paul is commenting on and that God has an issue with. In addition- homosexual unions do not result in children- and children were needed to carry on the population! I do not believe that my brother, Eric, or my daughter, Morgan, are condemned for their love for their partners. I have several friends that are in monogamous loving gay relationships. I also have several friends that are in "straight" relationships that are full of hate, promiscuity, and "outside" relationships. Which is the wrong one?

Paul continues with a list of wrongs people commit (vv 28- 32): envy, covetousness, gossip, jealousy, murder, fighting, lying, etc... ending with even harsher words..."these people should die." (v 32). So, based on this list- are we all condemned to death?

Then I guess we need God's forgiveness and salvation!

Tough words to end this morning!

Have a great day! Think about these words. I imagine lots of discussion!

Shalom+
Pastor Paul

13 comments:

  1. Okay I am crying after reading your loving opinion on homosexuality. I have several very important people in my life who are gay so this a very sensitive subject for me. How lucky for your family to have such a wonderful support system. I was getting a little worked up when I was reading Paul's opinions. What someone does in the bedroom is none of my concern rather you are straight or gay.
    A dear friend called me today and we had a discussion about faith. She said she is wagering in her faith with all the injustice that is happening in our world. I don't disagree that I am disappointed by the world's lack of compassion by I still want to keep the faith.
    I am anxious to see where Romans takes us...
    Donna you did not ruin anything for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was raised to be loving and caring to all people. Mom and dad were always willing to help and do things for others- financially, emotionally, physically...whatever. We weren't church going people at all.
      As I became an educator, I had many kids that would come to me and say, "PR, can we talk?" Then the floodgates would open and I would spend hours and hours talking and comforting about whatever- much around sexuality. We do need to remember Jesus' last commandment on Holy Thursday night- Love each other as I have loved you.
      We are lacking compassion in our world- for the most part. There is still good, there is still love, there is still compassion, but we can always use more of it!
      Thanks for the comments!

      Delete
  2. Oh my goodness - what weather. Pastor, if you cannot find the book unbroken I have it and am more then happy to loan it!!

    Paul has the best beginnings to letters - well, actually, the best letters! Is this the letter that Paul was referring to when speaking to the Jews about his letter in the last chapter of Acts? The one they did not receive? Just curious.

    Paul has stated that he learned everything direct from Jesus Christ - but in vs. 3 Paul says that Jesus was the seed of David - so apparently somewhere along the line he has received information from others - yes? My translation does not make it clear that Jesus rose of his own power - vs. 4 in mine says "And declared to be the Son of God with power, according to the Spirit of holiness, by the resurrection from the dead>" So was it through the Spirit? Could Jesus, being a human, be able to raise himself from the dead under his own power? And Jesus did raise others by his own power soooooo???? I am also thinking that because of what Paul says in vs. 13 he is writing to a church that is mostly Gentiles "among you also, even as among other Gentiles." Is that why the Jews Paul questioned when he was in Rome might not have seen Paul's letter? My translation also says I am not ashamed of the Gospel but vs. 17 says "...as it is written, The just shall live by faith." Is faith the same as belief? I can believe in someone but not have faith in them, right? It seems like vs. 18-20 is saying that even if you have never heard of God you have no excuse for not honoring God. ??? I think that Paul is also saying that - after letting things slide for awhile God will punish you and will punish you before judgement day. Kindof goes with my way of thinking (smile) We do get punished. As far as Paul's comments on homosexuality, Paul also states in 1 Corinthians 7 Paul says for unmarrieds and widows to stay unmarried unless they cannot control themselves. I don't quite agree with that either. I do feel that we have a tendency to bend God to fit our society rather then bend our society to God's will, but it's a fine line! Paul's list is certainly extreme - from what is listed in vs. 29 - murder, maliciousness, wickedness, etc. to the end of vs. 30 disobedient to parents. No one can escape this list. We are all sinners and need forgiveness and salvation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unbroken is on my library list! I just recently received my library card and have lots of books on my "To Read" list!
      I am sure Paul heard others talking of Jesus, so he probably is mixing things together to create his letters.
      If Jesus was resurrected through the Spirit- isn't that him too?! The idea with Jesus' resurrection is tat there was no human intervention. Jesus' resurrection was because of His (or God or the Spirit) involvement. Others (i.e. Lazarus, ET AL) were dependent upon "human/divine" intervention.
      Paul was all about spreading the Gospel- first to the Jews, then to the Gentiles- as the Jews didn't readily accept it. It was the transition to the Gentiles tat really upset the Jews- I think. That was the part that they were most angry with- the fact that one could be saved without all the Laws and the rituals, etc.
      Hmmm...faith= belief? Sounds like we might be splitting hairs?!
      The point of the list in Paul's comments is that we are all unworthy of God and all subject to punishment- but- as he brings out later- we are all saved through the grace of God and our faith in God. As we look over "the list" I am sure we are all in there someplace- so we are all condemned= but it is through our faith in God that saves us. That will be brought up in later scriptures!
      Good thoughts Donna!

      Delete
  3. In my prayers I try to always remember to pray for my church family and my pastor don't think I have ever prayed for another church. I also pray for the world and the world situations hoping God will answer prayers about this when he is ready and in his own way.
    I love how Paul starts his letters and almost as a prayer at the end of his greeting.
    He tells the Romans how he wishes to come to Rome and preach to them, that he feels obligated to spread the Word to the civilized world and the rest of the world (to me he means the whole world)
    I am a little confused when he says that by nature everyone should know of God as through God everything was made. If we are born into this world without knowledge of Jesus and no one to tell us about Jesus and God, how, by just seeing the world around us, are we to know all of God??
    Then Paul writes of God's anger about sin (Again if someone knows not of god how would they know they are sinning, just thinking) Paul lists many sins for idolatry, greed, hate, murder, etc focusing heavily on homosexuality. I too have a problem with this as my oldest granddaughter is gay. She is not in a relationship as she lives at home with her parents yet(age26) and they do not approve of her having a friend. She told me first of her sexuality when she was 14 or 15 yrs old and she had a girlfriend that she felt drawn to at that time. She was very upset about it and spoke in confidence to me, her grandmother, as she felt I was the one to tell. It was a very hard time for her and also for me as I felt I was keeping a secret about her from her parents. It eventually all came to light to all so the burden was lifted from my shoulders. Thank you God for that. I would rather a person be in a loving relationship with whom they love than in a relationship that is non loving and even dangerous to the person and even the children. I think that would be what God wants.
    It's a hard question and one that will be answered I guess upon the day of judgement.
    Not liking this cold snap Hope your garden etc are all okay Pastor Paul

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have many gay family members too, Clara. Isn't it too bad that people we love have to feel bad about themselves when they're
      God's children the same as we are.

      Delete
    2. I think, as far as knowledge of God, in early days- people were more cognizant of God or gods- their world was dependent upon their knowledge of God (gods) and how they controlled the world. I think people were instructed about God (gods) "back in the day" but not so much anymore!
      It is good that your granddaughter trusted you to be able to talk so many kids don't know where to turn! It is good that you accepted her and she was able to get feelings and thoughts out- what a testimony of love! It is a difficult time for kids when they are finding out who they are. Kids need trusted adults to hear them!
      Thanks for sharing Clara!

      Delete
  4. I forgot to say Donna thank you for the bit of trivia on how water depth was measured. Also good point about widows and unmarrieds. Clara you must be a wonderful grandmother if your granddaughter felt confident enough to confide in you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whenever I see love, compassion, and togetherness between people in a committed relationship I just can't see why it matters whether they are two men, two woman, or a man and a woman. I also think that Paul was commenting on the promiscuous nature of what was going on. Jesus came to teach us to love and be good people. I agree with Cindy's thought that it's no ones business what goes on in other people's bedrooms.
    I keep telling myself to remember that Paul was just a human like me. He was imperfect when he was condemning Christians in his early days. He was not Jesus and wasn't perfect. In some ways he gets more press time than Jesus in the new testament.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was a bog point in Paul's comments- the promiscuity. And that holds true for today's time too- the promiscuity. Commitment is something that needs to be addressed- straight or gay. Genuine love, genuine compassion, genuine care are all things that we need to focus on!
      Paul does get lots of press! And he isn't Jesus!
      Good points and comments!

      Delete
  6. Well, I learned something right off the bat. I thought Paul wrote this letter when he was in Rome, but, alas, I stand corrected.

    My take on the homosexuality issue is that, as Clara commented, we are all God's children. That said, I don't know of anybody in either of our families that are gay, but that doesn't mean they don't exist. I am sure that they are around. Personally, I don't agree with it, although I do realize that gay folks are gay from birth and that they don't have a choice. They didn't choose to be gay, it was from birth. I think that my negative feelings toward it stem from a lack of understanding of homosexuality. Also, I can be very narrow minded at times. There are a lot of good comments on this topic and I should probably take more time heeding them. This is all I am going to say on this topic. I am sorry that it showed up in this chapter, or anywhere in our reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paul did write several letters when he was in prison in Rome- but this wasn't one of them! That is a confusing point!
      Thanks for commenting Jack. It is difficult for some people to "wrap their heads around" the idea of homosexuality- especially if they don't really "understand" it. I look at the love people exhibit- and that should be our focus. You're not narrow minded- just brought up differently- and that is OK if we can learn to accept and appreciate our diversity. Someone just sent me a quote the other day, "The one thing we all have in common is our diversity" or something like that. We are a diverse mix of people riding on this planet and we need to try to get along- on all facets of life!
      Thanks fro sharing and opening up Jack! I really appreciate it!

      Delete
  7. Jack I am really glad it showed up so we can talk about it. I also understand that it is hard to stand up and disagree. I think the fact that you are thinking about it is a good start.

    ReplyDelete

A Final Post

 Good morning. We did it! The entire New Testament in a year. that is quite a feat! Thank you all for your dedication and work. It wasn'...