Thursday, May 13, 2021

1 Thessalonians 1

 Good morning! Great day yesterday- beautiful sun shine, but cool. Got some gardening done and a special package came in the mail!

"Winner, Winner, Chicken Dinner!"

My barn is getting full! And I am happy!

This morning we begin 1 Thessalonians. Like I said in the introduction, this text is probably one of the first (Galatians  and James may predate this by a few years) pieces of Christian theological literature we have (preserved anyway). It is believed to be have written maybe 20 years post- resurrection. So, the church was established- and flourishing- and then Paul wrote this letter within 20 years of Christ's death and resurrection. I am sure there will still many questions and comments about "those followers of the Way"!

Paul did a great amount of work, and he tried to have travel companions (v 1) often as he could (somewhat for protection from threats and somewhat to back up his claims). Timothy was a frequent companion and we hear about him quite a bit. Silas (AKA Silvanus) traveled with Paul during his second missionary trip. The Roman translation ("Silvanus") means "the forest" [silvaculture is the field of biology concerned with the culture, growth and management of forests]; Silas is likely the Greek variation of the name. Timothy is from the city of Lystra in the province of Galatia. His father was Greek and his mother was Jewish. Paul likely founded the church in Thessalonica during his second missionary trip, but left quickly due to threats by opponents of the Gospel (Acts 17:2). Paul is currently on Corinth, think about his church plants.

Paul reminds the church that he is praying for them (v 2) and thanks them for their commitment and faith in God (v 3). He brings out the three Christian virtues: faith, hope, and love. Paul brings up the concept of "election" as God chose them (v 4).  When we are loved- we are chosen. The phrase "beloved by God" was usually reserved by the Jews for the great Jewish patriarchs: Moses, Solomon, David; Paul now extends this to the Gentiles of Thessalonica. 

Paul and his company lived and modeled a Christian life (v 5) and the Thessalonians accepted that lifestyle (v 6)- evidence that the Gospel has the power to change lives. Paul seems to take some pride in this church, showing them how to live and witnessing the changes in their lifestyles. They then were the models of faith for the surrounding areas: Macedonia and Achaia (v 7). True discipleship- modeling a good and righteous life so that others want to be like you! Something that we should be doing- not sure how successful that is in current times!

This church became quite a great model as the news about them spread "everywhere" (v 8). Some translations say, "The word of the Lord sounded forth from you..." Imagine- the word of God coming from you so as to positively impact your neighbors! The church in Thessalonica became known across the "world". How far away is your church "known"? Thessalonica was a major commercial hub- several "highways" passed through the city and there was a great natural harbor on the sea, so many people traveled through the city and could be impacted by the Gospel. Preaching is good to help convert people, but modeling the life and showing by example are more powerful. I have mentioned several times in messages, "Live your life so that people stop and ask you why you do what you do." This is what the Thessalonians have done (v 9).  People ask, "Why have they broken their idols? Who is this God they worship- and it is only one God?!" The people turned from having their gods serve them to serving the one true God (v 9). Quite a turning of the tables!

Paul ends with the whole point of belief in Jesus, salvation (v 10). When we believe in Jesus- we are saved from something- the righteous wrath and anger of God.

We can sense the joy and "pride" that Paul has for the church and people of Thessalonica. I look forward to hearing more from Paul!

Have a great day- looks like it is going to be beautiful!

Shalom+
Pastor Paul


10 comments:

  1. My comment today is really a question Pastor Paul. How did the word church come to be. I looked up church definition...A building where Christians go to worship. I am curious as to how it was decided to worship as a group. I have always found it fascinating how a church becomes a community. I know over the years I have found comfort in that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great question! There are a few different "explanations" of the word church. The Greek word "ecclesia" means called out or group and can refer to anything from an angry mob to a group of people gathered together. The Greek phrase "kuriakon doma" means "Lord's house" and is translated to "kirche" in German, "kerk" in Dutch, and "cyrce" in Old English. All of these pointing to a building where people gather to worship. People have always worshiped God in a community- Jewish temples, pagan temples, house churches for the early Christians. Jesus said in Matthew 18:20 "Where two or three are gathered, I will be there with you..." so this may have lead people to gather together for Jesus worship. There does seem to be a sense of community at a church, but the church is more than the building- it is going out and taking our love of Christ to the world.
      Great question! Thanks for making me think!

      Delete
  2. Paul greets the Thessalonians. He says he is praying for them and is thinking of them and and their loving deeds. He tells of how the Word has spread . Paul knows know the people are waiting for the return of Christ.
    Cindy-- my understanding of Church is not the building but the people and believers of Christ as the church. I think that as the Gentiles and Christian Jews were told of the Good news that they got together and worshiped as a group maybe to begin with to learn more and the Word could be passed along from person to person They could discuss things together that way also??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TO add to what I said to Cindy- it is easier for a group to gather around one teacher than for the teacher to go to individual people/ small groups. Rabbis, teachers, pastors are few in comparison to the number of people they teach.
      Good points Clara

      Delete
  3. Paul praises the Thessalonians for their good works and says that Gospel came to them not only in word but through the Holy Spirit. How does a whole community do it? So many people living and modeling Christian life. It seems like older generations often pass the knowledge to younger generations. What if we keep going with the "me first" attitudes that we see so much of today?
    There are so many examples of division in our world. It seems like any way people can be divided, we are. Social media makes it so easy to say hurtful and unkind things without either taking responsibility for what you say or seeing the hurt you cause in others. I don't think the world is a better place because of social media. I don't think Paul would be proud of us as our country is today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is so much transfer of knowledge from our older generation to our younger generations. My first impression f a church was when my aunt took me to her Catholic church back in the 70s. It was all in Latin, but the people all knew the responses. I was stunned by the power of the voices!
      You bring up a good point- how is the "me first" attitude going to affect the next generations? I do have concern- but if we continue to our part, that's all we can ask for I guess.
      The world has become divisive- not just the US. But there is good, there are positives that we need to focus on. The bad is what sells the news, but there is good. Keep working for that and like the ripples in a lake from a stone being thrown in, we can do changes in the world!
      Good thoughts Cathy

      Delete
  4. Another joyous letter from Paul!! He seems very happy to be writing to the Thessalonians! My introductory says that since Paul had to leave Thessalonica so abruptly and since the new converts (Pagans and Jews) had very little external support from persecution from the outside, Paul was anxious to write them quickly after he left to give them encouragement.

    If Paul wrote this letter only 20 odd years post resurrection, Paul most have moved very quickly to spread the word - especially when you consider that Paul not only had to educate and encourage the people to accept Jesus Christ, but help them establish a church as well!

    I know that Paul congratulates the Thessalonians as being good examples for the believers in Macedonia and Achaia, however, I don't think that people should model their lives after other people that they feel are living correctly. Nor would I ever want people to look at me and say - that's how we should live. No one is perfect. So my feeling is that we all learn about God and then model our lives as best we can like Christ - be Christ like - Christians. I may look at a person and see them doing something that I think is great and may emulate that action, but to model my life completely after someone? Hmmmmm. Like Cathy said once - her friend would always write notes to people - something Cathy said she would like to do - we take parts of people that we think we would like to emulate - but not everything. Many people live wonderful lives - are kind, loving, generous, help others, but are atheists. No one has ever asked me why I do what I do unless it is very obvious - like saying grace in public, reading my Bible in public, but doing something nice? No - nor have I asked others why they do nice things. I think living as good a life as we can AND telling people we are a Christian is important - both! So that they can hear and see what it means to be a Christian.

    I think I am going to have to go back and reread some of the books I have on Paul to figure out his timeline. I am getting a bit confused!

    And Pastor, really? Winner, winner, chicken dinner? tsk tsk

    LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paul was always getting in trouble from "them" and the new converts were frequently persecuted by the Jews and the pagans. When I think about all the troubles they had, it is a wonder that the church even started!
      The church did spread quickly- probably quicker that we imagine. I guess when God wants something done- God gets it done!
      I think we need to have some kind of model to begin with- we need to understand and know what is good and what is bad though. So, I somewhat see your point. But there has to be something to start with! I definitely don't want to be the model of Christianity- because my life is full of errors, but I do look at some people and say I should be doing that. People may not physically ask what you are doing- but do you think it may cause them to slow down and question in their mind? Telling with words is definitely important, but our actions say much more than words at times!
      I will try and look for a timeline of Paul's life and journeys and church starts. It does get confusing. Had I thought about these readings more- I probably would have changed them and done them in chronological order! Next time!
      Home grown chicken! The bomb!
      Thanks Donna!

      Delete
  5. As I read this chapter with Paul heaping praise and niceties on the Thessalonians, I couldn't help but think back to Paul's letters to the Galatians in which he expressed so much anger. I am guessing that that was a much later letter than this one. I don't remember why he was so angry, but I am guessing that they deserved it.

    The more I think of it, the more confused I get, like Donna, about Paul's timeline. It doesn't appear that Thessalonica was one of Paul's early stops, but it must have been if the letter is on of his first. What am I missing?

    Those cute little chicks! How, on earth, could you even think about eating them????

    ReplyDelete
  6. Galatians was written around the same time as Thessalonians; there is some discussion as to it possibly predating Thessalonians- therefore making it the earliest writing. The biggest controversy with the Galatians was- following Mosaic law or not (surprise!)- and we know how Paul feels about that!
    I will find a good timeline of Paul's journeys and writings. The church in Thessalonica was visited during Paul's second missionary journey- so he did lots of travel before writing any letters!
    Next time you're in Apalachin- stop by for dinner!
    Thanks Jack!

    ReplyDelete

A Final Post

 Good morning. We did it! The entire New Testament in a year. that is quite a feat! Thank you all for your dedication and work. It wasn'...