Thursday, September 23, 2021

James 2

 Good morning. Another rainy and dark day is ahead for us...time to get lots of book work and house work done. Hoping for a day in the woods tomorrow! We will see if I get enough work done today!

Good discussion about trials and temptations. I like the commentary from Jack's Bible: "A temptation is something that entices a person to do wrong. A trial is a situation in which God provides a person an opportunity to do right..." That definitely puts things into perspective.

In this chapter, James brings up two points that are very important to him: showing partiality to the rich and faith without works is dead. 

He begins with a hard comment, "Do you favor the rich over the poor?" (vv 2-4). James is writing at a time (mid to late 40s AD?, possibly early 50s AD?) when there is partiality all over the place: economic, religious, ethnic, nationality, class (lots like today!). A significant aspect of Jesus' ministry was to break down these walls (and we are still trying today!) and "level the playing field." Many churches use a similar example as James used. If a person in nice clothes, well kept hair, nice cologne/perfume, standing upright came in to church- how would we treat them. Then in opposition- if a person in ratty clothing, dirty looking, torn shoes, unkempt hair, maybe even smelly came in to our church- how would we deal? We want "them" to come, but not "them"- right? James comes back with (v 5), "The poor will be heirs to the kingdom." Calvin suggested that God chose the poor to beat down the pride of the rich! James reminds the people that it is often the rich that cause them issues (vv 6-7) by taking them to court and by oppressing the society- it isn't the poor that do that! Which side do we fall on?

James continues with the argument that the scriptures teach against partiality. Some people might argue that they are showing the rich goodness and love as the law says "love your neighbor." The problem is not showing love to the rich- it is showing partiality to them (v 9). Do we sometimes use this argument- that we are showing love to our neighbors? James guards against "selective obedience" (vv 11-12) by saying we are to follow all the rules- not just some! We like to be selectively obedient- don't we! We are to keep all the laws, not just the ones we like!

James then moves to living our faith through our loving actions. James asks the question, "Is faith alone good enough for salvation?" (v 14) Can faith alone save us? Using a very simple situation- you see someone naked or looking for food- how do you respond? How do you respond? The argument James uses is that if you fail in even these most basic life essential needs, are you living by your faith (v 16)? Faith alone save us, but it must be a living faith (v 17). James comments that we can see "proof" of your faith by your actions toward others. Our works are evidence of our faith (v 18). We can' t see someone's faith, but we can see their actions. James now goes through a series of Hebrew examples of faith through action. Certainly Abraham ("father of the Jews")  offering Isaac (vv 22-24) is an example of extreme faith through action.  Rahab (a Gentile) demonstrated her faith in God by hiding the spies (see Joshua 2:8-13). Her faith was "living" because she did something with and because of her faith.

Calvin once wrote, "Man is not justified by faith alone, that is, by a bare and empty knowledge of God; he is justified by works, that is, his righteousness is known and proved by its fruits."

What do you think about "faith without works is dead"?

Some great thoughts by James. I like his style and ideas!

Have a great day. Stay dry!

Shalom+
Pastor Paul


8 comments:

  1. James seems to write a little more plainly than Paul. He spells out just what he means. My commentary says that James wrote to the Jewish Christians who had been scattered throughout the Mediterranean world because of persecution. Makes me wonder how they got to read this letter.
    James cautions us not to favor the rich over the poor. I have thought about this idea a lot. Having "levels" of people always makes me think of the Hindu tradition of castes. It's easy to look at Hindus and condemn them for the way they treat people, but castes are actually very common. What about in our "Christian" country. Do we consider any people lesser? How our history of slavery and the racism that has always existed. And even in our supposedly enlightened times, Asian Americans, LGBTQ people, poor people, and many more are looked at as lesser. By the way, a really good book about is The Space Between Us by Thrity Umrigar. It's a good story about two Hindu women, one is the servant for the other.
    Faith without works is dead. Hmmm. Maybe that is true. I do believe that if you have faith, it would follow that you would live in a different way than if you are a non-believer. What are "works" might be a good question. If you are follower, wouldn't you regularly pray? If you pray for others wouldn't that be a wonderful thing to do for them? If you live in such a way that you could be an example to others, would that qualify? I know that I can't heal the sick or cast out demons but I see a lot of people doing good and helpful things everyday.
    Even though I try really hard to live my faith, I fall short every day. I know that God thinks that I should pay more attention to my mother- even though I have a difficult time with her. I find excuses for not putting in the time- I have to work, I have to babysit, on and on. I pray to be more patient and think of things I could do with her but I don't do very well. I'll keep trying, I guess.
    What a rainy day! It reminds of that September day in 2011 when it rained so hard that we actually had a flood. Let's hope that doesn't happen again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree- James is much more clear than Paul! These letters were carried by people that were travelling between places. So, one city would read it at their worship/gathering time and then someone would carry it to the next town. Much slower than email!
      I like your analogy of favoring the rich and favoring different "classes" of people. I agree- we do set differences between people. I just added your book suggestion to my library list!
      Good question- what constitutes "works" when it comes to faith? We all have different gifts and graces, so that must be in there someplace!
      Good points Cathy! Thanks

      Delete
  2. Well I did do the reading yesterday but was doing other thinks and it slipped my mind about the comments.
    I also wonder if these Jewish Christians were scattered all over, how did James letter reach them. James says we need to do more thatn just live by our faith we must so our faith by our good deeds.
    we are not to show favoritism. What a hard thing to do many parents seem to show this between their children even. teachers seem to have favorite pupils etc etc. Starting in school kids from poor families may be treated differently by their classmates etc and it continues on thru life as we age.
    James wants people to do good deeds but we cannot reach salvation by following the "Golden Rule" only We must believe and have faith then "do unto others as wee would have them do unto us."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is hard not to show favoritism isn't it! Try as hard as we may- I think we still all do! I can remember on of the kids (I think Morgan) asked, "Dad, do you love me or Lauren more?" Talk about favoritism! In school, I always had kids I liked more than others- even though I tried to like them all equally!
      Good points CLara! Thanks

      Delete
  3. I agree Cathy James seems to write in a way that is easy to read and understand. I would like to believe that I do not favor those who are rich over those who are poor but I certainly favor some people over others if I am to be honest. Like I said before I want to spend time with the person who brings me joy. I hope I don't sound like I just need to be at a party everyday but life is to short to be with those who bring you down.
    Clara my children when they were younger would accuse me of favoring one over the other. I would tell them I truly love you all the same but at times one of you needs me more than the others.
    Faith without works is dead...
    I think if you have true faith you want to serve and give back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We all show favoritism! It is hard not to! Being with happy and joyful people definitely is a positive!
      Good response to your kids! I need to remember that one!
      True faith does make you want to give back and help others- and I think that's the point James was trying to make!
      Thanks Cindy!

      Delete
  4. I have to agree with the others that James is clearer and easier to understand than Paul. There are times that I have read Paul's writing and then have said "Now what was all that about?" That is not true with James. After I have read a passage from James, I can remember and understand what he was telling me.

    In the first several verses, he states that we must not play favorites. He uses the example of a man coming to a meeting in old, filthy clothes verses a man coming to the same meeting will dressed. Who are we going to listen to? I am sure we have all experienced this at one time or another. I know who I would listen to regardless of what this chapter says. Once I was trying to sell a car. I had some people coming to look at it and I was working in the mud before they came. I was filthy when they arrived, and they didn't buy the car. They had a few gripes about it, but I am sure their biggest gripe was my appearance. "If he doesn't take better care of how he looks, what kind of care does he take of the car? There is a lot of truth to this and it has nothing to do with playing favorites. After writing this, I am not sure that I agree with James.

    Faith versus deeds may be a different story. In verse 16, James writes "If one of you says to them 'Go in peace, keep warm and well fed,' but does nothing about their physical needs, what good is it?" I am not sure that this is the same thing. Here the writer says for a person to tell another to "keep warm and well fed," and then he says for that person to act to keep the third person warm and well fed. If the third person does nothing, it is not the same as it is if the second person does nothing. (I hope this is making some sense.) If the third person does nothing, then he is not looking out for his own welfare, and the case of faith without action applies. If the second person does nothing about the third person's welfare, then I do not believe that in this case it can be considered faith without action. Here, I agree with James 50% of the time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good example about how people judge us by our appearances! When I leave the house- I always try to look good, but sometimes I am just a mess. And people notice it!
    James is saying that our faith should be acted out in our actions. We can only be responsible for our own actions and what we want/desire to do. Live faithfully!
    Good comments Jack Thanks

    ReplyDelete

A Final Post

 Good morning. We did it! The entire New Testament in a year. that is quite a feat! Thank you all for your dedication and work. It wasn'...