Friday, October 22, 2021

John 10

 Another good day yesterday, capped off by our first "Snack and Paint" that was very successful. People had fun and laughed and relaxed!

"Nailed it!"


 The first story we come to is Jesus comparing himself to the "false shepherds" of Israel. Part of this is directed at the Pharisees that just excommunicated the man who had his vision restored by Jesus. They weren't doing God's work, so were trying to get to the sheep by a different door. Shepherds are symbolic of rulers and leaders- both good or bad. It was a common motif of ancient Israel.  At night, all the sheep in the town were held together in a common area; the gatekeeper/doorkeeper (v 3) had the responsibility of watching over the sheep for the night and ensuring that only the shepherds were allowed entrance. In this passage, Jesus is referencing himself as the shepherd. Sheep know their shepherds voice. I know mine know when I am calling them compared to when others are calling them- they respond to me but not to others! Are we trained to hear and respond to the voice of God?

In the next passage, Jesus references himself as the gate/door. Sometimes, a shepherd would stay in the field with his flock over night. In that case, they would have some type of enclosure (cave or stone/brick pen). When the sheep were safely in it at night, the shepherd would lie down across the door to keep sheep in and keep bad out. The shepherd at the door or gate would defend and fight for the protection of the sheep if something came in the night- to the point of giving up their life for the sheep. Sidenote- the word "pastor" comes from the Latin verb pascere meaning to lead to pasture, to set to grazing and the Latin noun pastor meaning shepherd.

In v 16, Jesus references "other sheep"- a direct reference to the Gentiles. Jesus sees as his mission to bring in the "other sheep" to the fold. We are included in Jesus' ministry! The goal is for one large flock with one shepherd. Will that ever happen?

Jesus seems to be making some crazy and radical claims (one shepherd, one flock, lay down his life...) that people really thought he was possessed (v 20)! He was either crazy or the Son of God! We look back at these writings and see the Son of God, but try to imagine people 2000 years ago!

The Feast of the Dedication is Hanukkah; it celebrates the rededication and cleansing of the Temple after three years of desecration by Antiochus Epiphanes (king of Syria, 164BC, the era of the Maccabees). The story of Hanukkah can be found in the book 1 Maccabees, part of the Apocrypha. Even after all Jesus has done, people are still questioning him and want to know if he is the Messiah (v 24). Their lack of belief (vv 25- 26) shows that they really aren't part of the flock (yet?) and that they are still lost and wandering. The shepherd imagery is strong and Jesus is trying to get people to believe, but the are just unwilling. The words the people hear are blasphemy (to them), and the people begin to stone Jesus (v 31), an "appropriate" punishment for blasphemy! Jesus pleads with them about the good deeds that he does and how these are all signs he is the Messiah, but the people really didn't want to believe. 

There are some that believe and Jesus' work continues despite what humans try to do (vv 40- 42). Still true today?

Another good read from John! Mid-next week we come to Passion week...very different in John compared to the synoptics!

Have a good weekend and see you all Monday!

Shalom+
Pastor Paul



12 comments:

  1. I love this story of Jesus telling that he is the gatekeeper and good shepherd He yells how his sheep (followers, god's children) are going to be with him always the even mentions that the Jews and not only his sheep but he has others( Gentiles). Also there again is I AM the Gatekeeper, I AM the Good Shepherd, I Am the Son of God. I AM The Bread of Life I Am the Light of the World have been spoken of so far in John Jesus has told so many ways that he is the Messiah but many do not believe They want to stone him for blasphemy but he gets away. The one that followed him remarked that John the Baptist said on things that Jesus would do and that he couldn't so many believed
    How wonderful that Jesus says that he is the shepherd for all the world

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like the comfort of the shepherd passages and the ideas that it provides us.
      Good point- this section is called the "I AM" section of John- as we have seen the last few chapters, Jesu is confident in his I AM!
      Good thoughts!

      Delete
  2. Love The picture I'm sure it was a fun time.
    I enjoy the story of Jesus shepherding us and also as the gate keeper. I do marvel at those who continued to believe and have brought the rest of us on this faith journey. Of course there were those who wanted to stone him and did not believe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had so much fun!!
      I like all the shepherd references in Scripture. Such a comforting image for me!
      Good thoughts!

      Delete
  3. I LOVED reading the chapter! As with all of John's Gospel, I love how John give all the details of Jesus' conversations. I didn't realize that first of all that the Jews physically threatened Jesus so many times and secondly that Jesus went back to the Jordan where He was baptized and stayed there awhile. I wonder for how long.

    Since it seems that Jesus' return is based on everyone hearing the Good News and believing, I believe that Jesus' work - through us - will continue and should continue no matter how or who does not believe.

    One fold and one voice - that would be so great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was somewhat surprised at the number of physical altercations Jesus was involved in. The Jews were not super receptive in the other Gospels, but I don't remember so much anger so early on.
      There will always be a portion of our world that will not believe, but yes, we are called to continue!
      Good points

      Delete
  4. I love reading about Jesus as the shepherd of the sheep. This story makes what Jesus is saying so clear. I know this is metaphorical story but can you imagine really being a shepherd in those days. Apparently shepherds owned the sheep and has a vested interest in the sheep making it through the night. In my warm comfortable home I can't imagine being out in the pitch dark, at night, often without shelter, in the cold, watching for predators. Sounds scary to me.
    Vs 16 says "I have other sheep which are not of this sheep pen. I must bring them also. They too will listen to my voice, and there will be one flock and one shepherd." I agree with Donna. Wouldn't that be nice.
    Then the Jews picked up stones to stone him. Now, of course no one is going to think that is a good thing to do. But I always have to wonder what those doing these things are thinking. They were with angry with Jesus because they thought he was blaspheming
    - because they thought a man should not claim to be God. I think it would be so interesting to have our group meet with a Rabbi and find out what the Jewish way of thinking is. To give some balance to these ideas. Of course it's natural for us to be angry with the Jews because of what they did to our savior. But maybe there is more to understand. I don't have the answers. I'm just curious.
    All religions in the world claim to worship and understand God. Most "religious" people get set in their ways and are not willing to be converted. How do we work in harmony if we do not understand their ideas?
    Just a question about the sermon this morning. Did I understand correctly that the New Covenant is between God and every person who believes that Jesus will save them? And is communion a sacrament that symbolizes that relationship between each person and Jesus?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love all the shepherd passages in our Bible. I raise sheep, just a few. I get what the authors talk about- protecting them, caring for them, watching over them. Of course, I don't spend the night with hem, but if a ewe is in labor I will sty with her, no matter how late or how cold the barn is, until she delivers.
      Part of the stoning is mob mentality too- I think. We know how that goes!
      Good idea about meeting and discussing with a rabbi about some of these stories. I can see what I can do.
      Re: New Covenant. God has written God's law on each person 's heart- so yes- the covenant is between God and each person. And the sacrament of holy communion is the symbol of that covenant. Read Matthew 26:28, Mark 14:24, Luke 22:20. Covenants were usually accompanied by sacrifices. Christ is the sacrifice that cemented God's covenant with is and we are reminded of that sacrifice each time we take communion.
      Good question!

      Delete
  5. Just another question. If Jesus is in the lineage of David, and Jesus is a Jew until he dies, is there a covenant between a Jew (Jesus) who is the son of God and anyone who believes Jesus is the son of God, and will save us? If this is a question for another time, and doesn't fit the Bible study, please don't feel obligated to answer it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even though Jesus was a Jew, the covenant God proclaimed is for all people- Gentile or Jew, servant or free, woman or man...
      The original covenants were with the nation of Israel, but this one extended to all people. A covenant is a binding agreement. It can be between any types of people, not just of the same ethnicity.
      Does that help?

      Delete
  6. I have been writing up my responses in Word and copying them to here. However, I forgot to do this tonight and, guess what??? I hit a spurious key and I lost everything. I do not have the patience to rewrite what I have just lost, so this is it!

    ReplyDelete

A Final Post

 Good morning. We did it! The entire New Testament in a year. that is quite a feat! Thank you all for your dedication and work. It wasn'...