Sunday, December 20, 2020

Luke 20

And its snowing again!Time to curl up and read a good book...or read The Good Book! Hahaha...you like the play on words?! I think the isolation is getting to me!

We re in Jerusalem. Palm Sunday was the reading from yesterday...so it is Monday/Tuesday of Passion week. The challenges to Jesus just keep coming! I never noticed, until I was reading more closely, that he leading priests and etc came to Jesus (v 1b), Jesus don't come to them or ask them to join the group! So it is a confrontation between the religious authority and Jesus. Has anyone ever challenged  your authority to teach the Gospel?  I have had several people question my authority (including some elders of the church since I am "only" a local licensed pastor!) But, I sometimes do question my own authority! Who has given me the authority to interpret and teach?! YOU have God's authority to teach God's word! How does that feel- YOU have God's authority to teach! I like Jesus' teaching technique. The religious "authority" ask Jesus a question, and Jesus responds with a question! That is one teaching technique I have always used. Often times I will say, "Well, what do you think?" I had a good mentor! The "religious authority" never really responded, so they never really wanted an answer from Jesus. They were not true seekers! You ever spend time with people that really don't want an answer?! Then I thought, do we really want to hear what Jesus has to say?

The parable of the vineyard...hmmm...I think the servants are the prophets from the Hebrew Bible; the vineyard owner is God; "my son" is Jesus; the vineyard is symbolic of Israel. Many people didn't hear what the Hebrew prophets had to say (vv 10- 12) God then send Jesus to hopefully get people to understand (v 13) but we know that Jesus was not believed and eventually killed (v 14- 15) so that the farmers (Pharisees? Rome?) could inherit the kingdom. Where are you in this story-- a farmer, one of the sons, one of the bystanders?

I like that flattery that is used in v 21...Do you (or others you know) use flattery to get what you want? I can almost hear Jesus' exasperation in v 24-- Why do you test me? Show me a coin.... Do you ever get so frustrated with people you respond in a semi-snarky voice? Jesus doesn't say don't pay taxes. Jesus says give to Caesar what is his, give to God what is God's. We are God's. So give yourself to God. It is interesting to remember- our coins and bills all say "In God we trust" Hmmm!

The Sadducees didn't believe in resurrection (that's why they are "sad, you see"). I think the whole idea behind this discourse is that resurrected life is different than real life. That maybe a surprise for some people, but things will be different when we are all resurrected in Christ's final victory! The idea about Moses is tat when God is speaking form the burning bush, God says, "I am the God of Abraham" Abraham was dead, but God didn't say "I was the God of Abraham." Make sense? Then we get v 28, Jesus says, "God is the God of the living, not the dead." God now is our God!

The teachers of the law (scribes) were men of leisure, tending to watch while others worked, demanded recognition and special benefits, and often used flattery to get big gifts.  They would pray long prayers, showing their importance and use of language, partially thinking long prayers meant more spiritual (when really the longer the prayer, the further you are from God). Do you know any scribes? Jesus cautions their hypocrisy...something we have heard many times! This goes back to an earlier comment I made about internal church v external church. How many people do you know like to put on a good show, but inside are not very God-oriented?

Have a good rest of the day. Enjoy the snow that is gently falling. Be safe!

Shalom+
Pastor Paul


8 comments:

  1. The leaders continue to test Jesus and try to trap him but he outsmarts tehm and they have to be quiet.In the parable of the evil farmers is Jesus again telling of his death? Im not sure I understand about the cornerstone. Jesus does not tell them not to pay their taxes but to give Caesar back his own money. give God the thanks and praise for what he has done for us I think Jesus ia also teaching that heaven or God's kingdom will be different than what we know here on earth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A cornerstone is a large stone used in building a foundation. It is the first stone laid down and everything else (building orientation, etc) are based on. It is like a keystone in an arch. Jesus is saying he is like a cornerstone or a keystone- fundamental to structure and support of God's kingdom. Great comments Clara!

      Delete
  2. Churches and other organizations run by boards are often difficult places to work. Those in “authority” in the church (and by this I mean church elders) are not chosen by virtue of their own Biblical knowledge or skill but often by their willingness to “serve”. When a person has been hired to do a job, it’s difficult to be overseen by people who do not fully understand the job. I have always been this employee in one job or another.
    Jesus seemed to meet this need to explain quite often. He has been given a task by God but he is judged by many people. His parables make people think and draw conclusions for themselves.
    I’ve often wondered about the “communications” between God and Jesus. Jesus knew what was going to happen to him. Was that only because of prophesy or answers to prayer? Plainly said- did God speak to Jesus?
    Once when I was in a very dire situation I feel like God actually spoke to me. I feel like I heard words that could have only been God.
    So much to think about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great commentary in your first statements! I agree with what you say! Did God speak to Jesus? Great question- what do you think? My guess is they had an intimate enough relationship that there was some style of communication going on. I don't know if I have ever hear God's voice, but I have felt God's presence a few times. One very distinctly when I was at the hospital with my dad one of his many times. I went to the chapel- something I had never done before, and after a while of quite but anxious feelings, I felt a warmth and felt like someone else was in the chapel with me. Looked around- nope! A few other times too. There is so much we don't know! Great comments and thoughts!

      Delete
  3. Honestly, I didn’t noice that the Jewish leaders and Pharisees come to Jesus either - He does not go to them. As far as that goes, those that are in need of miracles also go to Him. God has given us the authority to teach. Especially when he gave his disciples the Great Commission - which is our Commission as well. No one has ever questioned my authority to teach the Gospel, but then, I am not in a position where people might. People have, however, questioned what I say or how I interprets things - which, of course, everyone should. Open conversations are best when everyone expresses their thoughts and in turn everyone learns. I always doubt that I do not have all the answers OR all the right words. I know I should rely on God to give them to me BUT.......I have to say, as familiar as I am with the story of Passion week, I am NOT familiar with the story of the Vineyard. As I was reading it, I have to admit, I was more thinking that the vineyard is the world that God has given us - and the people in it. The “man” gave his vineyard to the “husbandmen”. The “husbandmen” began to think the vineyard was theirs and would not give back what was due to the man who gave the vineyard to them. Just as we think this world is ours and treat it and the people in it as we want, not as God has instructed us to. The man sends many servants - which I was thinking were messengers from God but in reading your commentary you say the prophets before Jesus and I agree and can see that the servants were to represent them. The “husbandmen” - or us - reject them. Then the man sends his son - God sends Jesus - but again - they destroy/reject Him. The punishment - we who reject and do not follow will be destroyed - just as the man destroyed the “husbandmen “. And that’s when the scribes and Pharisees began to fear Jesus and plot His death. But how difficult they found that to be since Jesus knew the correct answer to all their “tests”. Sometimes we don’t want to hear what Jesus says because we don’t want to have to change - it’s hard! And sometimes I do talk to people who do not want answers or a discussion- they just want to say what they think and have others agree that they are right. I have to admit, flattery, if it is honest and true, can be a tool. I really didn’t understand the widow who married seven times until I read your comments. I think I can wrap my head around it now. At first I thought Jesus was saying that only those not married or given in marriage would only be worthy for resurrection. And Paul says the same - I think in Acts?? - but thanks, I do get it now!! We all know scribes, Pharisees, hypocrites - but is their sin worse then any I have committed? I doubt it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm...I like your first comment= those that needed miracles sought out Jesus! Did the Pharisees need a miracle? Open dialogue is the best way to learn. I like when people ask me to clarify my points and discuss more. We may not always agree but we can still converse! Interesting thoughts about he vineyard! Great thoughts!

      Delete
  4. These are some hard questions. I Think I would be bystander, I couldn't take something that doesn't belong to me. God says I am the God of Abraham, God is the living not the dead. In heaven we will be as angels. This I do not know for I try not to judge, but I wander about the Armish or the Jahoeva witness. Would this be a question?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good thoughts RoseMarie. I often wonder about our brothers and sisters of other faiths...it would be interesting to have an honest conversation with them some time!

      Delete

A Final Post

 Good morning. We did it! The entire New Testament in a year. that is quite a feat! Thank you all for your dedication and work. It wasn'...