Tuesday, December 22, 2020

Luke 22

 Bonus- two chapters today!!

Chapter 22 takes place on Thursday and the very early parts of Friday morning of Holy Week. Jesus is very close to death and we can sense it in his words and his feelings. It is the Passover festival, so Jerusalem is filled with thousands of people; there was energy and excitement in the crowd- first because of the festival and second because of the presence of Jesus. People knew about him and that lead to lots of excitement. It is interesting that Luke comments that the priests were afraid of the people (v 2) but they weren't afraid of God!? Are we more concerned about people or about God?

The next few verses, about Satan entering Judas (vv 3-6),  actually trouble me. I always have so many questions: Why Judas? Why did he agree? What was he thinking? Satan enters Judas- but don't we have free will to reject Satan? Did Judas "accept" this position to possibly test Jesus- if Jesus was who he said he was, would he prove it when they came to arrest him? Something I hadn't really read before- Judas went to the priests and soldiers- they didn't come to him! Was Judas' motivation greed?

The Passover festival represents Israel's freedom from oppression by Egypt. It is also the time that represents our freedom from oppression! Jesus makes sure to tell his disciples that he was excited to eat this meal and then be able to really explain what was going on. Jesus institutes the new covenant with people; did the disciples think about the fact that only God can make covenants? Jesus uses words like "this is my body" and "this is my blood"-- words not in the typical liturgy for Passover meals. What were the disciples thinking when they heard these words? What do we think when we hear these words? There is evidence that Judas was there at the meal (vv 21-23). How was Jesus feeling? How was Judas feeling?

The disciples still don't get it too much, as they begin wondering (arguing) who is the greatest among them (again!). They have been with Jesus for three years, and yet they still argue about greatness. How often do we hear that-- people mentioning how great they are! Putting it into the context of Jesus question in v 27, we get that it is the servant, the lower status, that are most great! Is that true in our world today?

All eyes now turn to Simon (Peter). Why Peter? Why was he the one "chosen" to deny Christ? There is compassion in Jesus as he prays for Peter's continuance of faith (v 32).Fast forward to vv 54- 62, and we see Peter's faith fail in his denial of Jesus. Do we sometimes deny knowing Jesus? Why? Why do you think Peter did? Peter later goes on the build many churches and be one of the foundations of the church.

With all the emotions Jesus must be feeling and the energy he is spending to maintain order, he still maintains his daily routine of prayer as he goes to Gethsemane (v 39). He still has concern for his followers as he tells them to pray for strength against temptation. We begin to get a real sense of agony that Jesus is experiencing as he prays so hard his sweat are droplets of blood (v 44). Asking God to remove this cup (v 42) is asking God to remove the Father's fury. In Hebrew scriptures, the cup was symbolic of God's judgement and wrath; the cup doesn't necessarily represent death, but the fury of God. God is present with Jesus at this time as we see that God sends an angel to comfort Jesus. Do we sense God's presence when we are at out limits?

The arrest of Jesus comes, with a multitude of people (v 47). The kiss- a symbol of respect and love between a rabbi and his disciple's is used to betray Jesus. A small skirmish occurs and Peter cuts off an ear of an officer, but Jesus, even at this time, showing compassion and love heals the man. How difficult must it have been for Jesus to maintain composure during this time?

The guards begin to mock and tease and spit and hit Jesus, representing the full sin of humanity! I wonder what the bystanders felt of this? 

Verse 66 begins Friday morning. According to Jewish law, all criminal trials had to begin and end in daylight, so the charges and trial that happened Thursday at Caiaphas' palace didn't have any legal bearing! Throughout the last several hours, many Jewish laws, designed for mercy for the criminal, were broken or ignored! Jesus himself semi-admits that he is the Son of God (v 70), with an immediate response "Well, we don't need anymore witnesses" (v 71)-- when in reality two witnesses were needed to corroborate any story! Imagine being there. Imagine the thoughts going through peoples' minds. These stories really show the animal side of humans.

Chapter 23 is difficult- the "trial" and death of Jesus. But on Christmas Eve we get to read Chapter 24- the resurrection. Find peace.

Shalom+
Pastor Paul


6 comments:

  1. Tears are flowing as i read this chapter It happened so long ago and there is nothing for me to be weeping for as Jesus died to save me and I should be rejoicing for this .
    Judas is a problem for me for without Judas would Jesus been killed? It was prophesied to happen just as Peter would deny Jesus three times before the rooster crowed
    I have a hard time to believe Judas who followed Jesus and was a disciple betrayed him, yes Satan entered him and he could have not betrayed Jesus but otherwise what would happen if this hadn't occurred that Judas betrayed? Would Jesus have been killed? The priests wanted him dead but they were afraid if him so------
    I have to believe that Judas will be in God's kingdom because of this????
    When I receive communion it reminds me of what Jesus did to save me how he shed his blood for me how his body was broken for me and of course all of us.
    Even the disciples Jesus took to guard while he prayed fell asleep. We are only human and need Gods strength to help us do right. Prayer is the answer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get it Clara. I have read these stories so many times, but now that I am more fully concentrating- they mean more to me! I know your thoughts about Judas-- we have talked a few times. I am hopeful that Judas somehow resolved what was inside him and was forgiven. Great comments Clara!

      Delete
  2. In reading Luke 22 I am also helping a 2 year old and a 5 year old paint pictures - and the 5 year old is mixing paints to see what colors they make. In the process I got paint on my fingers and when turning a page made a nice purple smudge at the top of Luke! And at first I am - ugh - but then I remembered - churches adorned with expensive trappings - Pharisees and the rich wearing expensive cloths - caring about how both the church and how they looked! So I remembered - I am reading the Bible in front of my grandchildren. And i now have a wonderful memory in my Bible- a purple smudge! (Not that my Bible isn’t falling a part anyway). I think sometimes we are concerned about people - at least sometimes I am. I always think that God knows my heart - knows what I mean - know that I care -but, ofcourse, I should be confessing my sins, changing, and showing other people how the love of God makes me feel! I once read that Judas went to the authorities because he was trying to push Jesus into showing that He was their redeemer here on earth - by lifting the oppression of the Romans. I think that is part of it. I also think that Satan knew that Judas would do his bidding because he knew Judas’ heart. I don’t think the disciples understood completely what Jesus was saying at the Last Supper. I don’t think we always do today! The Catholics believe in transformation - that the bread and wine are actually transformed into the blood and body of Christ - while we believe in representation - that the bread and juice actually represent the blood and body of Christ. I kindof think it’s cool if they really do believe in transformation. Again, it has become so “ritual” that I think sometimes we forget the true meaning. I try to concentrate on the meaning, but sometimes.........In Matthew it says that Jesus says “He who dippeth His hand with me in the dish, the same shall betray me.” I noticed that in Luke it says “But behold, the hand of him that betrayed me is with me on the table.” That makes a lot more sense because if the disciples heard Jesus say “dippeth with me”, they would have known it was Judas who was going to betray Jesus and perhaps try to stop him!! Also in Matthew it says Judas questions Jesus - Is it i? But in Luke all the disciples began to inquire among themselves who was going to do such a thing. In Luke no one (but ofcourse Judas) seems to know who will do the betrayal. Peter was chosen to be Jesus’ “rock”. Peter is the one who proudly says - I would never betray you. A story told in several gospels. Yet, Peter does. I think that’s what makes the story so astonishing - Peter - the rock - betrays. I am sure we all - definitely including me - say - I would never betray Jesus - but when push comes to shove, will we? Will I? Knowing it might involve torture, hatred, jail? I’m not sure. Cruelty and torture was so commonplace back then, but I can’t believe those people that followed Him, that followed Him into Jerusalem - who spread palms on His entrance, could not help but be very upset by all the actions toward Jesus. Poor Mary.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your comparison on Matthew and Luke and how the authors phrase the Jesus-Judas thing. With Luke's interpretation- all the guys had their hands on the table- including us! So might we be the betrayers? In the early church, no-Christians thought that Christians were cannibals because of consuming the "body and blood" of Christ! Betrayal is a strong word- but I am sure I am guilty of it! Great thoughts Donna!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think things happened as they were supposed to. It was a plan. We do have free will but we make decisions many ways, intellectually, emotionally, etc. Maybe Judas and Peter were doing what they thought they should do at the time.
    Look at the information that we have at our fingertips. All kinds of “facts”. And yet our country is so divided with people willing to defend their beliefs on both sides. As Donna says there was cruelty and torture back then but there is now too. Topics of our current election are racism, white supremacy, ousting immigrants and Dreamers, building a wall when Americans are going without food. We don’t seem to know what to do. I’m sure the people in Jesus’ didn’t know either.

    ReplyDelete

  5. Yes, today we seem to be more about man. John 13:27...Jesus knew what was about to happen to him, yet his disciples betrayed him in certain ways. When Judas ate the bread, Satan entered Judas and Jesus said to him…"what you are about to do, do it quickly". The new covenant that Jesus made with us is “Love one another as I have loved you”. By this all men will be my disciples if you love one another. I believe Judas’ motivation was greed and status. Yet he felt guilty for betraying Jesus and later hung himself. In our world today, it is the ones with money and power and greed who rule and we the workers are servants. Regarding Peter’s denial of Jesus…, Peter had lost confidence and was with the wrong people when he denied Jesus. Yes, we do sense God’s presence at our lowest times of our lives. Jesus felt his Father’s love for him and Jesus felt compassion and love for all sinners. I think the bystanders felt sorrow and hatred for what the guards were doing to Jesus. It’s difficult to imagine what was going through people’s minds as they witnessed this trial, was it crowd reactions? Today we have the bible as proof of Jesus and who he is and why God put him here. Hindsight is 20/20….but look at the turmoil our country and world is in today, is this not the same?

    ReplyDelete

A Final Post

 Good morning. We did it! The entire New Testament in a year. that is quite a feat! Thank you all for your dedication and work. It wasn'...