Monday, January 4, 2021

Mark 1

 No birth narrative! No family history! No deep philosophy about the Word and the Light! Mark starts immediately with Jesus' baptism (history suggests Jesus was about 30 when he was baptized). Baptism was a ritual performed by Jews, typically when Gentiles converted to Judaism; when a Jew was baptized, in essence they were saying "I am as far away from God as a Gentile is and I need to get right with God." The Jewish faith has many ceremonial washings, so this baptism was not unique to this story. The uniqueness is when the dove descends form heaven and God's booming voice says "This is my Son, whom I love!" (1:11) Jesus was baptized not because he was a sinful many, but because he was identifying with the sins of man. Christians have adopted the act of baptism as we invite members to be part of the body of Christ and the redemption that Christ has to offer. I have had the opportunity to baptize many people in my tenure at Little Meadows; I cant begin to explain the feelings I have when I perform the baptism liturgy-- warmth, God, peace, calm, love-- it is such a great feeling. Do  you remember your baptism? How do you feel when you witness a baptism? When is the last time you looked at the baptismal covenant in the UMH (or whatever book of worship you use)?

After Jesus' baptism, the Spirit drives Jesus into the desert (v 12), but there is no story about what happened (typical of Mark- we are left to think about what may have happened). Jesus was in the desert 40 days (40 symbolic of testing or judgement- Noah's flood was 40 day and 40 nights, Moses kept sheep for 40 years, Israel wandered in the desert for 40 years...). If you didn't know of the temptation story in the three other Gospels, what would you assume happened to Jesus with just Mark's commentary?

John is imprisoned (v14), again no story why, and Jesus goes into Galilee to preach (also v 14)! We don't often hear Jesus as preacher- we hear him (in the other Gospels) as healer and as teacher, but not as preacher. Have you ever thought of Jesus as preacher? The people were looking for a kingdom (v 15) to replace the Roman empire, but that wasn't the kingdom Jesus was preaching about- Mark says that Jesus was preaching about "the Good News!" The people had to change their ways (repent) to be admitted to this kingdom. How might the people have responded to Jesus saying this? How do we respond when we hear this?!

Jesus selects Simon (Peter), Andrew, James, and John to be the first disciples (vv 16- 20). Common people, hard working, ordinary-- and then Jesus comments, "I will make you fish for people." Jesus equips those selected; Jesus didn't pick the best, those that already knew how to fish for people-- Jesus picked the people and then taught. We use the same statement often "God equips the chosen." You have been chosen- do you feel equipped? How has God equipped you to do ministry?

The men move to Capernaum and Jesus "amazes" the people by his teaching-- he taught like he had authority (v 22)! Jesus did have the authority to teach! He knew what he was talking about  and he believed in what he was talking about-- not like the teachers of the day! Examine your "teachers of the day"-- do they teach with authority or conviction? Do they seem to be dedicated and committed to their teachings?

Immediately (typical of Mark...and then this happened...), Jesus heals a demon possessed man, and the people were amazed (vv 23- 28). The demons knew Jesus, they even called him out by name (v 24) calling Jesus "God's Holy One" (New Century Version). Do we recognize Jesus as God's Holy One? All Jesus has to say is "Be quiet and get out of the man." No elaborate rituals, no hocus-pocus like the exorcists of the day, no long liturgy, no magic- just "Get out!" People were beginning to see something different about Jesus that they hadn't seen in other religious leaders of their time. 

"As soon as Jesus left the synagogue...(v 29)" (again, immediacy in Mark), Jesus heals Simon's mother-in-law. The words used in my Bible (New Century Version) describe basic, simple mechanics: 
walked to her, took her hand, helped her up-- and the fever left" (v 31). Jesus cares about the individual and doesn't need the crowds around to promote himself. She then begins serving him. Do we do that when we are healed by Jesus-- immediately begin serving Him-- or do we just go on with our life?

Early the next morning (v 35) Jesus goes to a solitary (or lonely) place to pray. Even Jesus needs time with God. What does this verse say to us? How often do we start our days with prayer? Real prayer? Do we do it in a solitary (lonely) place or is it in the middle of our chaotic world?

The disciples come looking for Jesus; the crowds want more. Jesus responds- "let us go to another town so I can preach there." (v 38) Two points here-- Jesus cares about getting the word out and cares about others, and Jesus didn't want to ride the tide of popularity. He could have well stayed there and did lots more work, but decided to go somewhere else and spread the news of God's kingdom. Why do people like to ride on the tide of popularity? 

Leprosy is an awful disease, basically starting out as small red spots that turn white as your skin starts to slough off, followed by hair loss, followed by rotting away of skin, muscle, teeth, etc.. The man begs Jesus for healing, with the honest statement- "If you will." (v 40). People avoided lepers as much as possible, ignoring them and shunning them to the outer gates of the towns. Jesus, with compassion, reaches out and touches the man and he is healed (vv 41- 42). What does this say about Jesus? He could have just used words, but he touched this hideous man. Touch is an important sensation, and with the advancement of the man's leprosy, he probably hadn't been touched in a long time. With all our COVID restrictions, can you begin to feel how the man must have felt, to have a simple touch from Jesus! Jesus has the man go to the priest a present himself. The priest would have had to look up the ritual from cleansing a leper, as they were never healed from leprosy. This would have been a great witness to the authority of Jesus. How do we witness to the authority of Jesus? Jesus requests that the man not tell anyone of this, but of course he goes out and starts telling. What might be called "Well-intentioned disobedience" really was a hindrance to Jesus as he was now becoming overwhelmed with people! Have you ever thought of Jesus becoming overwhelmed?

So, to recap chapter one of Mark. John, Jesus' baptism, temptation from Satan, picking disciples, preaching in the synagogue, an exorcism, healing Simon's mother-in-law, healing may others, time for prayer and then healing the leper! I am exhausted just from this-- but very typical of Mark's style!

Have a great day, enjoy the beauty of the snow we received last night and enjoy the beauty of God's words to us!

Shalom+
Pastor Paul


13 comments:

  1. I had forgotten - or maybe didn’t realize - how fast Mark’s Gospel went. Almost like a Reader’s Digest version. And I have read in the Gospel of John Andrew was a follower of John the Baptist until Jesus walked by and John said that He was the Lamb of God and Andrew immediately becomes a disciple of Jesus. So it was interesting how it was told in Mark. And I am fascinated by the miracles that Mark chooses to tell us about and not about the wedding and the wine or what happens to Jesus in the “wilderness”. For me, I can be like Simon’s mother-in-law - serving immediately after the miracle, but, then, life happens and the “newness” begins to wear off. The point you make about leprosy is interesting. We look back on it now and know the causes and that it is not contagious and wonder why people were treated so badly, but we forget to look around us now, see the injustices, and do not wonder how we can treat people so badly - and, in history, it repeats itself over and over. What can I do? (Preachable?). Prayer is my nemesis! Looking forward to tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Mark is very fast. This happened, then this, then this, then this. But when Mark gets to the Passion- he slows right down-- this is the big point of Mark- the Passion. It is interesting why Mark leaves out certain stories. Some of the best loved ones are not in mark- let's see if we can pick them out! I like your comment about the "newness" wearing out...it happens all the time! So when I hear a preacher say "Celebrate the newness!" I wonder how long they want me to celebrate that newness- because eventually real life takes over! Great commnentary! Thanks!

      Delete
  2. I like Mark but I am curious as to why we didn’t start with Matthew. Anyway, this is an easily readable book pretty much “saying it like it is”.
    I am trying to work out answers for myself about prayer. If I believe that Jesus and God are all powerful then why shouldn’t I ask for our world to be healed and for Covid to disappear? I know that asking for that isn’t what we should do. We need to ask to be able to deal with what comes our way.
    I also find the leprosy story interesting. I hadn’t thought about Jesus actually touching the leper before. I never would have done that! I like Donna’s point about how badly lepers we’re treated then which we wouldn’t do today but we have our own “lepers” who we consider beneath us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good question Cathy...Mark was likely the first Gospel, so that's why the reading plan started there- I assume. Plus, Mark is a quick and easy read when compared with the other three gospels. Great question also about prayer and COVID-- the way I look at it, God is providing the tools (masks, ability to isolate, vaccine, cleanliness, etc) but people choose not to do it. Free will brings out the real side of people here. What would we learn/ how would we respond if God removed all troubles we asked God to?
      And graet comment about the leper story...it does lead to some interesting offshoots we could discuss!!

      Delete
  3. Mark is so fast with the story telling this happenened but not a lot of facts . It's almost as is saying this story has been told so many times why dwell on it.
    Cathy's question about praying for healing the world and this Covid problem makes me pnder a bit as i don't think it's wrong to pray for healing the world God answers prayers in his own time and his own way It just may not be the way we think it will be answered i feel. The important thing is we are praying and that God hears us I think we need to pray for the strength to get through our trials etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good observation Clara- fast paced with little background info! Mark is like that! And I agree- God does respond and "answer" prayer- but we need to listen and hear what God has to say! Tough for us to do at times! Great points!

      Delete
  4. I see what you mean by Mark is very fast. He does not seem to go into detail about much, but just states what has happened. My first question, which Pastor speedily answered, was "How old was Jesus when he was baptized? He had most likely "completed" his journey as a carpenter. When and why was John arrested? As a non-biblical scholar, I wasn't aware that he was arrested. I do not remember my baptism and I have no idea how old I was. I don't remember my children's baptisms, although they were all baptized. Unfortunately, my youngest son considers himself an atheist and none of my three granddaughters have been baptized not have they seen the inside of a church. We feel that we have no right to interfere with their ideas of bringing up their children so we are keeping out mouths shut. I will now try to get back on the topic.

    The verses concerning the healing done by Jesus were quite interesting, but a Jewish friend of mine many years ago called this a "magic show."

    I don't feel that Jesus has ever "healed" me, but I do believe that he has talked to in abstract ways. The incident I remember that most was after had tried to stop drinking, we went on a boat ride in Watkins Glen and I had three beers. I felt so rotten the way home that I commented to Rhea that I didn't think I had felt so rotten after drinking beer. I haven't touched alcohol since, and, to this day, I believe that was God talking to me.

    I had the same thought as several others that, if Jesus could cure so many people, why can't He put the kibash on COVID-19?

    ReplyDelete
  5. John was in prison because Herod had an issue with John calling him (Herod) out for divorcing his wife and then marrying his half-brother's widow (see Matthew 14)...its a great story! Baptism is a tough subject to approach with people that are non-believers or on the fringes. We should be able to talk about it- but its hard! "Magic show" I like those words- but that was what many of the "healers" of the time were doing- magic. Maybe the people did look at it as magic, because that is what they were used to seeing? Great story about your interaction with God and God's healing-- God does talk- we need to listen! God is providing answers to COVID prayers- but we choose to ignore them (wear masks, care about others, etc) I think many people arr so focused on themselves that they don't care enough about others! Great comments and thoughts Jack!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes. Jesus was a good preacher, teaching the kingdom is near, but we still don't get it. I would think he would be tired and overwhelmed. He prayed a lot to his father for guidance, as we should today.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tired is probably an understatement! I am sure he was so overwhelmed with the crowds! I wonder what it was like, trying to do he work Jesus needed to do, being followed by so many people? Good thoughts RoseMarie!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi I am Cindy and I am new to the group. I couldn’t get my comments to publish yesterday so the hi was to see if it worked today. I am so excited to be part of this journey. I have really missed being part of a faith filled group.
    On yesterday’s reading I commented on baptism and how moved I am whenever I witness one.
    I also related covid 19 to leprosy and how we couldn’t have begun to imagine this a year ago.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Cindy! Glad you were able to join us! It is hard being separated from group discussions, but this is a decent alternative. I hope that you enjoy the commentary and find them helpful in your journey!

    ReplyDelete

A Final Post

 Good morning. We did it! The entire New Testament in a year. that is quite a feat! Thank you all for your dedication and work. It wasn'...