Tuesday, January 5, 2021

Mark 2

 I love the first story of this chapter- the paralyzed man and his four friends. I have read this a few times, but V 5 really sticks out to me. It was the faith of the friends that Jesus noticed first. and the author uses the words "When Jesus saw their faith..." Do we live our faith bold enough that people can SEE it? Do you have friends like the man had...ones that would lift you through a roof for healing? Are you a good friend like the men mentioned? Willing to do something great for another? And the other words Jesus said were to the man, "Your sins are forgiven." Jesus knew that the sins of the man were in greater need of "repair" and forgiveness than his inability to walk. The man's real problem was the sin, not the inability to walk. The Pharisees have a fit (v 6-7) and ask, "Who is this guy- only God can forgive sin!" Umm...yah...that's the point here! Only the second chapter and the Pharisees are already starting to question Jesus!

Jesus selects Levi/Matthew as his next disciple (vv 13-14). Levi was a tax collector and for him to follow Jesus was a big deal. Tax collector positions were very difficult to obtain, they paid good money (although many people disliked you and didn't trust you), and you had the backing of the Roman government. Compare to Peter, James, and John-- they were "just" fishermen- a job they could easily regain if Jesus failed. How much are you willing to give up (or did you give up) to follow Jesus? Have you ever thought of following Jesus in these terms?

Jesus really upsets that apple cart by eating with the tax collectors and sinners (vv 15-16). I mean, really? How could Jesus do that?! I love Jesus' response (v 17)...the healthy people don't need the doctor! I have had several people in my time at Little Meadows respond to me (after I invite them to join us), "I could never go to church- I am too bad!" My response is usually something like, "The church is full of sinners!" What do you think about Jesus' response to the Pharisees? Jesus eating with the tax collectors and sinners is a signal for us to build friendships and relationships with "those people." Have you done that? Can you do that?

The story of the wedding guests and the feast (vv 18- 20) has so many levels to dig through. Traditional wedding feast were up to a week long (or more). Lots of food, dancing, wine, fun. For Jews, joy during this week was more important than following the law, so rabbis would exclude wedding guests from fasting and other dietary laws during their celebration. That is what Jesus is talking about in v 19. This is also a reference to the next story about new cloth and old cloth. Jesus will establish a new covenant with people (more on that in a bit). On a second level, Jesus is talking about himself and the church. Jesus is referred to as the bridegroom and the church is often referred to as the bride. So, in v 20, when Jesus talks about he bridegroom being gone- the reference is to himself at the crucifixion. I assume the people didn't understand the second deeper meaning of this story- but do you think they may have reflected on it after Jesus' death?

The nest brief story, about new cloth and old cloth (vv 21-22) is similar to the story in Luke we read. Again, this is a reference by Jesus to the new covenant that will be established. The old Levitical and Mosaic laws will no longer be important; the new covenant will take priority. People wouldn't understand that, so Jesus uses the clothing/ wineskin repair example. If anyone has patched clothing, you know you never use new material because it will shrink and change shape as it is washed- in comparison to the old material it is attached to. This will be my message on January 17- "Something New" Part of a series I am doing called "What I learned from Luke."

The last set of verses in the chapter are a common theme that we will see throughout the Gospels. The Sabbath was a holy and sacred day of rest and recovery. Jesus will be called out several times, by the Pharisees, for healing and helping people on the Sabbath. Jesus will always respond (my translation), "Help people when they need help- show mercy at all times."

Enjoy the day and the readings. Thanks for joining me on this journey!

Shalom+
Pastor Paul


10 comments:

  1. The story of the paralyzed man is so interesting. If I was in the crowd I’m sure I would have thought that the friends were being aggressive and pushy. It never would have occurred to me that they had great faith. If I was the paralyzed man I would have been upset to have my sins forgiven but still not be able to walk. Maybe I would have been happy that the scribes pushed the issue and Jesus actually said “stand up, take your mat and walk.”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good thoughts Cathy! How much is faith and how much is being too aggressive! There my be a fine line between that! Great ideas!

      Delete
  2. Yes I try to be a good and helping friend. We have so much happening in our world today, criticism, religious and political matters, it is hard to study the word of God. We get so wrapped up in life. But l love his word and pray that l may be a better person,by learning his lessons

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is so much going on in our world and we do get wrapped up in it. It is easy to get side tracked and develop a selfish attitude, but reading the Bible and prayer/ time with God, helps keeps us grounded. Good thoughts RoseMarie!

      Delete
  3. .



    Reading about the paralyzed man I didn't realize that it was the faith of the four men being the reason for the man to be brought to Jesus I thought the man himself wanted to be healed. It was great to realize the purpose of the man being healed was the faith of his friends.

    Again Jesus chooses a sinner as his disciple and a tax collector at that Mark only says that Jesus asked the disciples to follow him Mark again doesn't tell of what may have happened between Jesus and the chosen disciples for them to follow him Makes one wonder what did take place for that to happen.
    The story of the new patch on the old material to me is similar to the old wineskin and the new wineskin Tthe old material would tear away from the new patch like the old wineskin would burst with new wine being put in it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder how much faith the paralyzed man had- and did he fight the friends when they said, "Hey, we're going to take you to Jesus!"
      One negative of Mark's Gospel is that we don't get much background! It does leave us to hypothesize though!!
      Good points Clara!

      Delete
  4. Again - Mark is pretty fast paced. I think it interesting that Mark recalls a lot of miracles and faith but nothing Jesus actually preaches. It is noted in Mark how Jesus calls five of His apostles and explains why he eats with sinner and publicans, why they are not fasting and why they are eating/working on the Sabbath - recalling some history of David - but, so far, none of Jesus’ parables. Although from our discussions about Luke, I do understand vs. 21 and 22 a lot better - but not sure how it relates to the question about fasting. I am also reading that Jesus DOES want us to fast - as stated in vs. 20 . However, versus 27 and 28 really caused me to pause and think - We are not made for the Sabbath but the Sabbath was made for us. For us to put our lives on pause and just think - just worship - just praise. Something I am guilty of not doing! And as far as eating with the publicans and sinners - HA - so many times that’s me and others are eating with me!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right Donna- we see lots of miracles but we don't get to hear what Jesus was preaching! I would have loved to hear what Jesus had to say! I like the point that the Sabbath was made for us- rest and reflect and prayer. I need that time and I am guilty of not taking the time. Maybe that should be a new discipline for me this year! Good points Donna!

      Delete
  5. Do I have friends as faithful as those who lifted the paralyzed man through the roof? I can honestly say that I have had friends like them and some of them have been from Little Meadows UMC. Being new in the area here, I have not yet made friendships that I would believe to be that faithful, but I have no doubts that I will.

    The reference to Levi as a tax collector makes me think of all the checks that I have written to Mike Zimmer over the years. (Just a spot of humor. I didn't know Mike before he and Shirley came to LMUMC.)

    You are right. The men are starting to question Jesus, but he always has a good answer for their questions. The thought occurred to me while reading the wedding story about Jesus's crucifixion. He must have known at that time that he journey would lead to his crucifixion. The people following him at the time could have no idea of what was going to happen to Jesus. They didn't have the benefits of looking back like we do today. After the Crucifixion and the Resurrection, they may have had an "aha" moment.

    I do find it interesting and reassuring that Jesus will do prohibited things on the Sabbath to help people in need.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the first comment- I do have a great flock at LM! Hahaha! Mike really liked getting picked on when he came to church. Sometimes I do throw in one in case he is watching from home! Jesus is always full of answers- usually in the form of questions. He was a great teacher in that respect- responding to questions with questions and having the people figure out the answers! Good points Jack!

    ReplyDelete

A Final Post

 Good morning. We did it! The entire New Testament in a year. that is quite a feat! Thank you all for your dedication and work. It wasn'...