Tuesday, February 2, 2021

Galatians 6

 Today is our last day reading Paul's letter to the Galatians. He ends with some very comforting words- words that we should really take to heart!

Paul starts with the comment that is we someone in error, we should say something to them (v 1) but be careful that we don't get drawn into the "bad" and when we do the correct- we should do it with grace. If we are living by the fruits of the Spirit (last chapter) and something doesn't measure up to our expectations, it is OK to say something- without being too judgmental (if that is possible). Helping a brother or sister out of trouble is a loving way to show Christ to them. Can you do this? Has this happened to you? How do you feel when someone calls you out on something? If this is done in Christian love- then we (or they) shouldn't be offended. Paul goes on to remind us to also be looking out for ourselves (v 4). How many times do we look at others and not see what we are doing?! Have you ever had someone say something to you- and then you begin thinking- look at yourself? We should always be teaching- and we should always be learning!

Paul sends a harsh statement to the people in v 7- God cannot be fooled!  I look at this next set if verses (vv 7-10) similar to a parable that Jesus wold have taught. You reap what you sow- and you sow what you reap! If you continue to sow the desires of the flesh- that is what will be returned to you...and the corollary is true...if you sow the fruits of the Spirit...that is what you will receive. People will give you what you give them. How true is that? Paul reminds us to never get tired of doing good. Are there times when you feel exhausted and tired of doing good?  A few times, I have said, being good is just so exhausting! Why is that?

Paul ends the letter with "See what large letters I am using" (v 11). Typically, Paul's letters were written by a scribe. A few, like this one, is written by Paul. When he writes, he usually signals that with something like this ending. Historians have hypothesized that Paul had poor eyesight- thus the large letters! His ending is essentially saying- you can choose to follow the Law (and then become circumcised) or you can choose to follow Christ (and then not need circumcision). You are free to make that decision- but nobody should force you (v 12). Paul is suggesting that they follow Christ, but that he wouldn't brag if they did (v 14) He wold give the glory of their conversion to Christ- because it is Christ that is the one that did the transformation, not Paul! Paul doesn't want to take credit for something that Christ did. Do we see/know people that take credit for things that God has done?

As angry and upset as Paul is, he still offers grace and mercy (v 16). What a great model for us! Pal ends with the words "scars on my body" but historians do not know if Paul was beat for his belief in Christ. There is no particular reason for the scars that Paul talks of. He may be referring to maybe psychological ones? And grace be with you (v 18)

May God's grace be with you as you finish this letter! We begin Ephesians tomorrow. I will post either later today or early tomorrow, a brief introduction to the letter. Be well and be safe.

Shalom+
Pastor Paul



14 comments:

  1. Sorry - now I see that Ephesians starts tomorrow along with Exodus.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved both chapters 5 and 6 - although 5 really made me stop and think. I, too, can cross off the list many more then I should! But I can say this - when I followed the desires of the flesh, my life was not as happy, not as peaceful, as it is now when I try much harder to follow the desires of the spirit. I still struggle, of course, but I win more often! We do definitely reap what we sow! Honestly, I could never go to someone I thought had fallen off the “path” and talk to them - I could only do it if they came to me first to talk. Then I could (and do) bring in God and how following Him makes my life so much better. I offer to listen or help, but cannot jump into a conversation about God and how someone might be living their life. I think sometimes we get tired of trying to “do good” because we don’t get the results we think we will and get discouraged. I think that’s where the statement “We tried that before.” Comes from when “new” people in a church try to do something. But I like that Paul says - never get tired - keep going!! I am puzzled by Paul’s comment in vs. 10 - “let us do good unto all men, especially unto them who are of the household of faith.” - that doesn’t seem right - all most the opposite - shouldn’t we be doing more for those who are NOT of the household of faith? I like vs. 15 - circumcision availeth any thing - nor uncircumcision - only a new creation. I am sure Paul did bear the “marks of the Lord Jesus”. In my Bible it says that “marks” is how Greeks marked their slaves and animals (much as we brand today for animals) but Paul means his “scars” marks him as a servant of Christ. Something like the mark in Revelations??? I enjoyed Galatians - enjoy immensely your message on Sunday! Everyone stay safe and warm today!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get your happy/peaceful feelings when you talk about the fruits of the Spirit v desires of the flesh!
      I definitely get tired of "doing good" at times. I look back at what I've done, and how I've tried and sometimes it seems like an exercise in futility!
      Re: v 10- it is like Jesus telling the disciples to shake the dust off when they leave an area that doesn't want to hear about God. We should try to show everyone, but some people won't listen...Paul (and Jesus) would say- let them make their own decisions.
      Thanks for the comments Donna!

      Delete
  3. This was a really great chapter that hit home for me for several reasons...if you think you are better than others when you really aren’t you are wrong. We tried to instill in our children that you are not better than anyone else nor are they better than you. The reference that has been made about being told you have to be circumcised I look at as a metaphor that is telling others what to do. This is something I have to check on myself. My sister called me out on it recently. We still have our elderly parents who need some help. During a discussion on what to do she told me I was very opinionated. It really hurt my feelings but as I thought about it I know that it is true sometimes. Try to do the right thing can be exhausting. We have all been in that position when I should do this but I want to do this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like you, I reminded my kids often that they were not better or worse than other kids and that everyone should be treated with respect. I can remember my kids talking about how they would bake cookies for the cleaning staff at their colleges and leave them small notes and gifts. Respect all.
      It is exhausting to be good all he time, isn't it!
      Thanks for the thoughts Cindy!

      Delete
  4. I feel like Donna, I don't think I could go to someone and tell them that I thought that they needed to change their ways. This is tough. When I had teenagers I certainly tried to straighten out their road but a stranger, I don't know. I do feel like I have been on someone's path for a reason, though, and that I have been able to help them, not on spiritual issues but other issues. I feel like other's have been on my path for a reason too. Several times in my 17 years as director of the library I have had people come in, call me aside, and ask me to pray with them or for them. I'm happy to do it. I don't know why this has happened.
    I feel that I have so much to straighten out about myself that I'd have trouble talking to others unless I thought they were really in harm's way.
    You reap what you sow has a lot of meaning to me. I'm not always sure we know what we're sowing as we sow it, and maybe our intention was good even thought not perceived that way to others. People have a lot of reasons for what they sow. Have you ever sown seeds of kindness and just felt used? The world tells you to get rid of people who are "toxic" in your life. To an extent I believe that. But Paul says to not grow weary of sowing what is right because we will reap at harvest time if we do not give up. May God help me find balance in my thinking. Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would often have kids (and sometimes staff) come to me during the day and ask for prayer time or ask for "Pastor PR" time. (Kids would call me PR- not sure how that started but it stayed for years!) We are all partners on someone else's journey.
      Hmmm...good comment- we may not always know what w are sowing! Its like having a mystery pack of seeds- let's see what happens!
      Don't get weary being good- but it is hard to all the time!
      Good comments Cathy!

      Delete
  5. It is so easy to criticize others for their wrongs and let your own go by. We need to be more thoughtful and help others and in doing so help ourselves. I think of myself painting a room and being so satisfied with the results and feeling good about the job well done (not however it isn't great when someone says Wow that room looks Great but it isn't needed for you to feel good about it) Perhaps this is an example of what Paul was saying. We do not need to be boastful in doing God's work just continue to have faith in Jesus and trust in God.
    I have enjoyed reading the book of Galatians and look forward to continuing on in ready Ephesians.
    Have a good day. Stay warm and safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great opening comment- it is easy for us to see how others are missing the mark- but what about us?!
      And correct- don't be boastful- I look at it as doing my job, but positive comments help some!
      Great thoughts Clara- thanks

      Delete
  6. Yes I have always believed that everyone is my sister or brother and love them as you would yourself. Also have always heard, what you sow is what you reap and I really believe that. I hope that the seeds God has planted in me, can bear lots of good fruits with all his help. Sometimes when you try to help others, they have to try and have faith in themselves. God helps those who helps themselves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm...great comment about God planting the seeds in you!
      Good commentary Rose Marie! Thanks!

      Delete
  7. I can remember a long time ago when, during my brief career as a boy scout, we went on a camping trip and my dad was along with us. On Sunday morning, our Scoutmaster, Hank Lee (he wanted us to call him Hank), conducted a church service and gave a message for us. He said "you can fool me; you can fool your parents; but you can't fool God." Very powerful words. This man was an exceptional scoutmaster and person. My father said he would remember those words until he died, and I imagine he did. I am sure that this is part of what Paul was getting at in this chapter.

    In the Jerusalem Bible, it says in verse 3 that "It is the people who are not important who often make the mistake of thinking that they are." How true. I don't know if the other translations use these words, but they are very true. I'm sure that I have been guilty of this more that once.

    I think that the most I will take away from Paul's letter to the Galatians is the lists of sins verses the good list. This, and your message about the Fig tree parable this past Sunday, are very powerful and I should (and pray that I will) go back and review Chapter 5 from time to time.

    Rhea is going to be joining our group and, I hope, will comment on the readings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great thoughts from Scout Master Hank! Those words will preach some day!
      Great commentary from your Bible!
      And Galatians did seem like a good v bad list didn't it!
      Great that Rhea will be joining us and thanks for your comments Jack!

      Delete

A Final Post

 Good morning. We did it! The entire New Testament in a year. that is quite a feat! Thank you all for your dedication and work. It wasn'...