Wednesday, February 24, 2021

Hebrews 6

 Remember- we left off (5:11) with the words "you have become dull to understanding" or "slow to understand" and that we have reverted to drinking milk rather than eating solid food!

The author then progresses with - but let's forget about that and get right on to the adult part of things (v 1)! However, the author does a quick review of what the people should remember about faith in God, about baptism, and a few other aspects of life in God. Do we need to be reminded, occasionally, of the basics-- or can the preacher assume you remember all that material? An interesting end to this brief section (v 3b), "if God permits." I think this means that we are to be dependent on God for our maturity and development, and if we are, then God will expose us to more and more learning.As we press on, it is with the pleasure and company of God.

The next set of verses (vv 4-6) can be quite troubling and needs to be carefully read and thought about. We need to look at this section as an adult- rather than as a child! This would be a great passage for Satan to preach on- the loss of salvation because of falling away from God; the overall comment here is- don't ever give up! People do fall away from Christ (v 5b), but I believe they can come back- if they want to. I think what the author is suggesting is that if one continually strays away and continually does wrong, it is like they are the ones nailing Jesus to the cross. I believe there is always an aspect of restoration to God's love- if a person desires it, if a person is willing to work at it. My God is a loving God and accepts all who are willing to change. I think the point may be- we know what a life in Christ is like, but sometimes a life outside of Christ may seem more fun? more "rewarding" in the short term? and so we may continue on that path. That's what Satan is hoping and preaching! There is always a route to restoration. We also need to remember that this letter is being written to Jewish people that were once followers of Christ but are now turning back to their roots. Th author is saying that if they return to Judaism, it is like they are the ones crucifying Christ. I hope this makes some sense? Do you think there is always a route to repentance and salvation- or are people gone forever?

The net set of verses (vv 7-8) sounds like a parable Jesus might use...or a message (about the fig tree) I might have taught recently! Bear fruits! If we are being cared for by God; if we are on the route to forgiveness; if we have received mercy and grace-- where are the fruits that "prove" that. God wants us to go out and make disciples, God wants us to help find the lost sheep, God wants us to go and teach. Are you producing fruits?

I love the next set of verses (vv 9- 12). They are highlighted in my Bible, so either I have preached on them before or I have read them before. I think the writer starts by apologizing for being so harsh to the reader; the reader seems confident that the reader will stay the course and follow Christ. Don't be discouraged, God is fair and remembers all the good you have done (v 10). I think we have those days....we work and work and do good and try hard, but get discouraged and maybe even turn away form God. Then we may start thinking- oh, now ts too late. But God remembers all the good and will forgive the bad and negativity if we continue and go back to the good. Continue to do the work that God desires of us. Part of it may be that we are accustomed to getting "applause" and thanks for the work we do, and we may not always see that from God, so we may feel discouraged and say forget it! But God remembers-- Do you believe that? Do you sometimes get discouraged in your walk and in your work for God?

The author uses the example of Abraham (someone near and dear to the Jewish faith). Abraham had great faith and continued to work for God. God promised Abraham would create a huge nation, but Abraham never had a son (until very late in life), and even with that- Abraham continued to have faith and believe. Then, when Isaac was born and God wanted Abraham to sacrifice Isaac, Abraham never questioned. Eventually, God fulfilled God's promise. Do you have the faith of Abraham?

The author ends this chapter with the definitive statement- God cannot lie (vv 16- 20)! A statement of comfort and relief. God said God would offer salvation to all-- that offer is there for all. The author uses the symbol of an anchor (v 19) to represent hope. Some of you know- I have a tattoo on my right calf. It is a cross, with an anchor as the base; there is a vine wrapped around it, with two butterflies and wedding rings at the center; three flowers are on the vine. The flowers represent my kids (two daughters and son-in-law); the butterflies represent my (deceased) parents; the rings (obviously) symbolize my wife and I. The point of the whole thing is that my faith and my family are my anchor in life.

The author is saying that hope and faith are to be anchors in your life and the knowledge of God not squelching on promises makes that a big anchor! The author then goes on to reference the curtain of the Temple. The Place of the Most Holy- is where God resided- in the Ark of the Covenant. The High Priest was allowed to go to that place, once a year-- and Christ is there now, for us, for all time...we don't need the High Priest to do that for us! Jesus is in the intimate presence of God and we can be there with them both (well, all three with the Holy Spirit!).

We will pick up with reference to Melchizedek tomorrow- chapter 7- a tough one!

Enjoy the beautiful day we are all given.

Shalom+
Pastor Paul




16 comments:

  1. My translation in the vs. 1-3 says "Therefore leaving the principles of the doctrine of Christ, let us go on unto perfection....."I honestly didn't think of the 6 items listed in vs. 1-3 as the doctrines of Christ - but I love that. As you said, the basics. So now we are on to perfecting. Even if all people in the congregation are aware of the "basis', I definitely think that from time to time, we should all be reminded. I once heard someone say that God cannot fulfil his promise of salvation to those that have heard the Word and either do not believe or started to follow and then stops (never to return) but is more "lenient" to those who have never heard the word at all. I never thought about it until I read vs. 4-6. If you were "enlightened.... tasted the heavenly gift... partakers of the Holy Ghost....tasted the good word....the powers of the world to come." and then fall away is to "crucify themselves the Son of God afresh and put Him to an open shame." Not saying that if they repent they will not be forgiven, but more like a warning??? As vs. 8 says - "that which beareth thorns and briers is rejected and is nigh unto cursing; whose end is to be burned." That to me sounds like a warning as to what might happen to the people who do what is stated in vs. 4-6. I do believe there is always a route to salvation and forgiveness. I agree - I love vs. 9-12 - it's almost like waking up from a nightmare. Vs. 4-8 gives us that nightmare but we wake up safe - vs. 9-12. And I am very grateful that God will remember the good that I have done or at least tried to do and not just the wrong things I have done! I think it's interesting that there are several references in vs. 13-20 to God not only saying the promise but also gives an oath that it is true. I didn't quite get the meaning of that. Abraham waited a long time for the fulfillment of God's promise. I know my patience is not as Abraham's was! And I am sure I would NOT be willing to sacrifice my child. I wish I did have faith that was that strong! The imagery of the anchor in vs. 20 is great! I can almost feel that "anchor" when I read it. Looking forward to chapter 7 because I am still struggling with the thought of Jesus being a High Priest - as defined by the Jewish faith. Enjoy the day!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are always striving to perfection (I think I am already perfect but people say that I am not there yet!). Lessons on striving for perfection- hmmm...maybe a good mini-series? Remind me!
      Like you- I do believe there is always a route to salvation and God's love- even for those who have heard and fallen away. So many times in life, as people mature, they fall away, yet often come back- God is there waiting. Leave the 99 behind to search for the one lost sheep!
      Think of oath as legally binding (as opposed to promise- which really isn't). So the author is saying that God has created a legal contract and signed God's name to that contract.
      Great comments Donna...thanks

      Delete
  2. BTW, Pastor Paul - love the tattoo and the meaning. Will you be adding for Joseph?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yah- gotta create something for Joseph and then maybe something or Bobby-Jo-- depending on where that goes!

      Delete
  3. I wish to thank all those who have prayed for Rhea and I here in Montana. We are both healthy and well. Rhea had her second COVID vaccine dose last week and had quite a reaction to it. She is now well again. I have had my first dose and am scheduled for my second on March 8. We were told by our PCP to expect a reaction to the second dose so I wasn't concerned when Rhea had hers. I wonder what I am going to face. I have faith that I will be healthy afterward and I am already looking forward to the day when we can toss the masks. I hate them! (How's that for a negative comment?)

    I initial thought on reading Chapter 6 was that it was upbeat compared to the previous chapters. However, the commentaries on verses 4 through 6 are anything but upbeat. However, I have just re-read verses 7-12, and the message is upbeat. Verse 10: "God is not unjust..." He will remember all that you do to help His people (paraphrased). To me, this is comforting. Then the author talks again about the helpfulness of the rain. (People in the Southern Tier take notice! The climate in Montana is arid. We have about half of the rainfall that you do.) I agree that this is like a parable, and I am glad that Pastor had explained it's meaning. I am not good with these things.

    Like Donna, I will NOT sacrifice any of my children. I do not believe that God wants us to do that regardless of what is written here. It says that Abraham conceived Isaac when he was greater than 100. I say "good luck". I wonder if in that era, years were measured by phases of the moon.

    Your tattoo does have a lot of meaning and I agree with what you are saying with it. I don't want to get a tattoo myself, however.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad all is well with you and Rhea. Usually the second dose of the vaccine is more aggressive for the body- but Morgan had a really bad response to the first shot and nothing for the second~ go figure!
      This chapter does have some positive vibes to it- doesn't it! And I am glad that God does remember my good points! Definitely a comfortable feeling!
      The point of the Abraham story was to illustrate the faith that Abraham had- and we should try to imitate that faith in our life!
      Thanks for your commentary Jack!

      Delete
  4. I also believe that God is infinitely willing to forgive and accept us. Sometimes I think of this as God the parent and us his children. When children are "awful" all day we still love them. When you're at the end of your rope and feel like you're really suffering you only need to look into their little faces to see that they are suffering too. I think God probably looks at us, shakes his head, and hopefully thinks that we are worth forgiving. When you think about it, everyone's life is a unique set of circumstances. Some of your own making and some that are out of your control. I don't think God gives up on anyone unless they want Him to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always think of God as parent and me as the rebellious child! Like my kids- I may always love them, but sometimes I didn't like them! I see a whole lot of parenting in God- forgiveness, unconditional love. I also feel God's sadness at things we do.
      God doesn't ever give up on people- people give up on God!
      Thanks for the commentary Cathy!

      Delete
  5. I certainly welcome hearing the basics. It is so very sad when someone losses their faith. I have a cousin I am very close to who lost her son to suicide and now says there cannot be a god if he would let this happen. It is really hard to know what to say not having experienced that kind of loss. I think there is always hope. I love the story of Abraham and his patience that he would someday get descendants. Patients is something I struggle with and definitely could not sacrifice my child.
    I will try to respond the next two days but we are heading to Philadelphia to see our daughters their husbands and our granddaughter. I am lucky to still have my elderly parents. We had our second immunization two weeks ago so we are taking them with us. They are so excited as they haven’t seen them in quite awhile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh, Cindy, have a wonderful time and drive carefully. My daughter and family live in Philly and I am there at least once a month! Enjoy the special time!!

      Delete
    2. Have a wonderful weekend, Cindy.

      Delete
    3. Have a great weekend in Philly! So nice that you are able to get to see family. We all have really cherished family this last year!
      I had a discussion with someone this summer. Her daughter was killed in a car accident two years ago and her husband died about a year after that. She has nobody left. Her comment- where is God? It is difficult to answer those questions! The pastor side of me says, It wasn't God that did this...God is still there looking after you. But people hurt and people question. Faith is difficult to gain and when that faith is broken, it is difficult to regain. Find peace and seek the presence of God- my answer- may not be the best.
      The Abraham story is great, but I would have given up long ago!
      Thanks for the notes Cindy!

      Delete
  6. I know the authors are speaking to the Jewish Christians who have backstepped and reminding them to remember the basics of their learnings which is something that happens often with us as that devil always sits on our shoulders and tempting us to do wrong. However when i got to verses 4-6 I became very confused They are talking about not returning to Judaism and it sounds as if they can't be forgiven and come back to Jesus?? What about the Jews today that still believe in Judaism? I'm sure a lot of them are aware of Jesus and know about the Good news? Then it goes into the parable like verses of good crop understanding that the farmer is God and the seed the gospel
    The rest is good to hear that even though we become dull and indifferent God is there Always as He has promised. Author continues to be plural. Now if only I can grow in faith as is wanted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The author is reminding the people of their beginnings in "Christianity" and what their life was like. He does go on to say that if they fall back to Judaism (or if people in general fall away from god) that they will not be saved. I don't agree with that. I think there is always redemption and forgiveness. Modern day Jews believe Jesus was a great prophet. Those that follow Christianity (Messianic Jews), know that Chris is the messiah and savior.
      Keep growing Clara! Good commentary! Thanks!

      Delete
  7. With these studies getting the basic down, nore confidence and faith. It's hard right now to have patience, I can't imagine back in Abraham time. I don't see how they had so much much faith, here I am with little problems. I do like the anchor symbol for faith and hope.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is hard right now to have patience isn't it! I think we are all at the end of limit for patience! I definitely couldn't have done what Abraham did!
    Thanks for the commentary RoseMarie!

    ReplyDelete

A Final Post

 Good morning. We did it! The entire New Testament in a year. that is quite a feat! Thank you all for your dedication and work. It wasn'...