Tuesday, March 16, 2021

Acts 3

 Good morning!
        There were several comments regarding the baptism of the 3000- and about baptism in general. I just completed a class on the Protestant Reformation. The sacrament of baptism was a big discussion point. Here is a short part of the final paper I wrote for the class; this part is about the baptismal sacrament:
        The sacrament of baptism was another point of controversy in many denominations after the Protestant split from the Roman Catholic Church. Luther agreed with the Church that baptism is more than a sign that we are members of the body of Christ, an indication of our faith in God. Martin Luther goes on to say that we don’t need to express our faith in order to be baptized (i.e. infant baptism), since faith is a gift from God—faith is not a human work, it is a free gift from God. This was a critical point of contention with Zwingli and the Anabaptists as they rejected infant baptism. Their ideology was that a conscious decision had to be made by the person; to become Christian and to accept the baptismal vows, a person had to announce to the congregation that they had the faith and were ready to commit their lives to God (González, p 53). The Methodist tradition, very similar to the Anglican view (Heitzenrater, p 225), is found in Article XVII in the Articles of Religion (Book of Discipline): “Baptism is not only a sign of profession and mark of difference whereby Christians are distinguished from others that are not baptized; but it is also a sign of regeneration or the new birth. The Baptism of young children is to be retained in the Church.” We routinely welcome and baptize infants into God’s family and our congregation.
        And as long as we are on the topic of baptism and salvation...here is a brief paragraph on the idea of  justification- another big discussion item!!
        Aside from the selling of indulgences (which all Protestant denominations are against), one of the major collisions that Luther had with the Roman Catholic Church was the idea of justification by faith. Luther believed that both faith and justification are works initiated and propagated by God, and they are free gifts to all sinners (González, p 25). All people are worthy (yet, unworthy) of God’s grace, but this gift is freely given and we “just” have to accept that gift. Christ’s death, resurrection, and ascension to heaven was all that we needed for forgiveness and salvation; we humans can contribute nothing to enhance this conversion and to indicate so, would border on blasphemy (Sunshine, p 39)! In contrast, the Roman Catholic Church proposed that the way to God was through the visitation of relics, making pilgrimages, and paying for Masses (all these were expensive and lined the coffers of the Church and the clergy). The Calvinist view is that God will select certain people to attain God’s salvation (the “elect”) and grace and there is nothing humans can do to change that (González, p 77). Article IX in the Articles of Religion in the Book of Discipline states: “We are accounted righteous before God only for the merit of our Lord and Saviour [sic] Jesus Christ, by faith, and not for our own works or deservings. Wherefore, that we are justified by faith, only, is a most wholesome doctrine, and very full of comfort.” Methodism has a similar idea of justification as did Luther, and is somewhat in opposition to the Calvinist viewpoint of only some people being in the elect (i.e. those that will be offered grace). The slight difference with Wesley is that he believed that people could attain Christian perfection while still living on earth, yet Luther believed that Christian perfection was only possible after death, even with the influence of the Holy Spirit in our lives (Hahn, 2015).
        Probably more than you wanted, but oh well!!
        On to chapter 3!!
        This is a great beginning story! Even though Peter and John were "Christians" they still followed some of their Jewish heritage- praying in the Temple. The hour pf prayer was after the time for the sacrifice- so they didn't attend that part of the liturgy-- they knew there was no need for sacrifice- but there was need for prayer! One question I have- did they also have, in the back of their minds, the idea that this would be a great time to spread the Gospel story- with all the people gathered in the Temple? Thoughts??
        Peter and John see the beggar (vv 2-6+) and face him intently. The man must have been happy and encouraged when Peter and John looked at him intently. Most people who want to ignore beggars are careful to not make eye contact with them. When they looked at the lame man so intently, he probably thought he had a big gift coming. Do we see people or do we look past them? When Peter and John gave him no money, we might have heard the lame man complain: “You don’t care about me. You won’t support me. Look at the mess I’m in.” But Peter and John wanted something greater than supporting the man in his condition. They wanted to transform his life by the power of the risen Jesus Christ. As soon as he was healed, the formerly lame man did three good things. First, he attached himself to the apostles as he entered the Temple with them;  secondly, he immediately started to use what God had given him by walking and leaping with joy and finally, he began to praise and worship God, How do we respond when God gifts us what we need?
        This transformation allowed Peter to preach again (vv 11+)! Peter took the chance to tell people about the saving grace of God that is available to all people! I like Peter's comment in v 12- "Why are you surprised...?" Peter’s point was simple: Jesus healed all sorts of people when He walked this earth, so why should it seem strange that He continues to heal from heaven? And even though the sermon is about Jesus, Peter opens with the Hebrew ancestors (v 13); the connection is that Jesus is the same as the God of Israel- but is also God's servant. How would you have responded to this servant term?
Then, Peter opens the can of worms! Peter boldly set the guilt of Jesus’ death squarely where it belonged- the Jews. Pilate was ready to let Jesus go, but the Jewish mob insisted on the crucifixion of Jesus. This does not mean that all the Jewish people of that day alone were responsible for the death of Jesus. The Romans – Gentiles – were also responsible. The Romans would not have crucified Jesus without pressure from the Jewish leaders, and the Jews could not have crucified Jesus without Roman acceptance of it. God made certain that both Jew and Gentile shared in the guilt of Jesus’ death. If you were a Jew listening to this- how might you respond? Peter then turns this into a teaching moment saying that it was Jesus, the crucified and risen, is the one who healed the crippled man (v 16); and the faith that the man had was strong. And you can have this same thing too if you follow Christ! Peter doesn't hate the Jews- he still calls them brother and sister (v 17). Would you accept Peter's words- brother or sister, after hearing him? Peter continues using Hebrew examples (Moses, Samuel, Abraham) to point to Jesus as the Messiah that they have been looking for. There is no mention of how many people converted to "Christianity" as a result of this discussion of Peter...do you think he gained people?
Trouble comes to Peter ad John in the next chapter and the persecution of the nw Christians begins.
Have a great day!
Shalom+
Pastor Paul

12 comments:

  1. Peter and John paying attention to the beggar I’m sure immediately made him feel better. Helping those in need to get jobs and feel useful is a wonderful way to heal. Your comment that god wanted both Jews and gentiles to share in the guilt of Jesus death. There are so many examples of in the past and present when people have stayed silent when they should speak up. The behavior that has been occurring in politics that many support but would never condone in their home is so disappointing to me.
    We have opportunities almost every day to speak up and make a difference but do we.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your last comment really hits home...and its something I have been preaching on the last few weeks. Peter and John saw something that needed to be fixed...they fixed it with the help of Christ. Do we? Do we see? Do we do anything? Tough questions to answer!
      Great comment Cindy!

      Delete
  2. The story of the lame man walking was a miracle witnessed by those praying in the Temple. Peter tells them it was through Jesus that the lame man was healed as He did when He was here on earth. Peter and John's gift was so much more than monetary. The man had been lame since birth and now he could walk. If miracles such as these are happening today we do not see them, perhaps because we are not looking intently as peter and John looked at the lame man??We do see where people heal from diseases afflictions etc but they are not instantaneously as this healing was. They are miracles nevertheless but we don't always see them as a gift from God but from Doctors, nurses and therapists. God was working thru them just as he was working thru Peter and John, but do we fail to see it the same way? Peter uses this opportunity to continue to teach the gospel however before he does he calls out the terrible injustice done to Jesus by them. Having this thrown in their faces after all that had occurred must have been very hard on those that believed what Peter was saying. That they were responsible for the crucifixion of Jesus. What a terrible weight on one's shoulders. God works thru us all(even in the smallest ways) but do we fail to see that "Pay It Forward" could be and example of that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People don't always need money- they need other things to get them going. We often throw money at things hoping they will go away!
      And good point- if these miracles are happening today-- are we too busy to see them??
      I know how I feel when people call me out on things...I can't even imagine how the Jews felt when Peter calls them out for assisting in the crucifixion of Jesus!
      Pay it forward! Yes!!
      Great comments Clara! Thanks!

      Delete
  3. Pastor, the part of the affirmation that I can no longer say is "On the third day He arose from the dead...." because I don't believe He did rise in 3 days - and since it is my affirmation of faith, I am thinking that I should really believe in what I am saying (smile). Thank you for the lessons on Baptism and, you are right, I guess I am more anaBabptist as far as baptism goes! I also do not believe that faith is given to us by God - Grace, yes, Faith, no! Otherwise there would not be so many examples in the Bible - ot and nt - about how a person's faith saves them. It does not say - God's faith given to so and so. Jesus clearly says By HIS/HER faith he/she is healed. I also note that the Book of Discipline uses the words "young children" when referring to baptism - not baby or infant. Does this say something??? Chapter 3 was great - I have read about Pentecost before but I don't think I ever have this part. I like reading about what happened after Jesus was crucified and resurrected. From Peter's sermon I think the apostles finally got it. But since we all know the story of the crucifixion what I found most interesting was vs. 17 - after chastising those present for their actions, calling them out on allowing Jesus to be crucified, he then says in vs. 17 "And now, brethren, I wot that through ignorance ye did it, as did also your rulers." Peter was giving them an "out". I don't think Peter and John had in the back of their minds that entering the temple to pray at the ninth hour would be a good time to "preach". I think they were to ingrained in their ways to think about an ulterior motive (as good as it was) to entering the temple and praying. I agree with Clara, we do forget where our miracles come from and instead feel grateful to some earthly person. I think sometimes I do look past people - but it doesn't have to be a stranger or a person on the street - it could be a person I am speaking with and I am so wrapped up in something going on in my life I am not really hearing that the person speaking to me is trying to tell me something important or needs something I can give! I think if I were a Jew I might respond to Peter's words the same as people today respond - I am not prejudice, I did not lock people up at the border, I did not cause this person's hardship, - these Jews that Peter and John are talking may not even have been there during the crucifixion - since it was Passover and lots was going on. Well, seeing the miracle that Peter and John just performed, I have to admit, that would get my attention and give strength to their words. I agree with Cindy - paying attention to others - especially those "down and out" must make them feel so much better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm...we can talk more!!
      Good comments and discussion! We can talk more!!
      Our UMH does have a liturgy for "those unable to answer on their own" (covenant II and III). JOhn Wesley took that as infants.
      There is something to say about doing something out of ignorance v out of spite or knowledge!
      I do think there are miracles that happen now, we just don't/can't see them because we are too busy and involved in other things!
      Lots of good thoughts! Thanks Donna!

      Delete
  4. Peter and John saw a crippled man ,on their way to the temple. Sensing an opportunity to demonstrate Jesus power, Peter healed him. The man went walking and jumping praising God. Peter preached about Jesus, God the father how they disowned and killed the Holy and righteous one. God gives us lots of gifts, that we take for granted. The beauty of nature, healings, our prayers, some gifts we have to hide, because we would be criticized by unbelievers. I am thankful for every day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Opportunity! Great word- how often do we miss the opportunity?
      And why do we take those God given gifts for granted?
      Some good points RoseMarie! Thanks

      Delete
  5. I also do not think that "faith" is given to us by God. I think that God asks us to believe but it's up to do it; to put ourselves to the test and try to have faith when something happens to us. We need to want God to help us and really hang on to the idea that God will come through- even if it's not in the way we're expecting. And to realize that we can find our way to healing or resolving other issues through God leading us to other people who can help us.
    I can't imagine having the power to make a person who couldn't walk since birth be able to stand up and walk. Clara I really like your comments about how miracles are probably happening all around us everyday but we just don't see them and we don't realize that God is making this healing happen. It is kind of a miracle that we have vaccines in a year for this pandemic. It used to take about 10 years to make a successful vaccine but look how far we've come. I had my first shot on Monday. A friend said today "but you don't really have any immunity for about 10 days, then it's 3 weeks till the second shot and then 10 days for immunity after that". True but he wasn't thinking that at another time it would have been years before we would have had a vaccine at all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Faith is an interesting discussion. Depending on your denomination- there are "rules" to follow about faith! Not that I agree with all of them! Big differences between Methodists and Baptists, and others too regarding faith.
      We may not have the power to make people walk- but I do think we have other "powers" to help people- do we use them? Vaccine is a good example!
      Hope you are feeling well after the vaccine. First shots usually aren't too bad-- second one might be harsh! Or might be nothing!
      Thanks fro the great comments and thoughts Cathy!

      Delete
  6. Cathy, it is my opinion that anybody who complains about the length of time for the COVID vaccine to become effective has very little faith to begin with. To have an effective vaccine as soon as we have this one is a miracle in itself. Instead of taking earthly credit for it, we should thank God for this and all the other miracles He has given us. I think the concept of faith should be left to the individual. if you don't have faith at birth, you can acquire it along the way. I had faith as a child, then I lost it during my bouts with depression, and now I am faithful again. I have to admit, however, that I struggle with the concept of Jesus - his life, death and resurrection from time to time.

    Paul, your writing on baptism was very interesting. Thank you for taking the time to do it.

    Chapter 3 was very interesting to me. I totally missed the concept of Peter using the power of God to heal the beggar. I thought that Peter had Jesus's power and I was thinking "What is going on here?" It is all clear to me now. This is indeed the power of faith.

    I have flat feet. In fact, when I was young, a doctor told me I would be in a wheelchair be the time I was 40. I had faith that this wouldn't happen and now, I have reached old age and I am still walking. I have to be careful and wear good, supporting shoes, but I am getting along just fine. I have faith that I will still be walking when I take my last breath.

    I don't know if Peter and John converted anybody in the temple that day, but they must have had a lot to think about if they were paying attention at all. This reminds me of a comment made to me by a very pleasant Jewish fellow I once worked with. He called Jesus ministry a "magic show." If the Jews in the temple that day were thinking like this, I doubt if they converted anybody to Christianity.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Faith is like a crazy roller coaster as you point out Jack! Several times, like you, I had no faith in God at all- even to the point of mistrust and probably even hate (or at least severe anger!) But then it comes back.
    Peter was using the power of God/Jesus/ Holy Spirit! He certainly didn't do it on his own!
    Magic show- interesting comment. Many others thought that the miracles and things performed by Jesus was magic! That is what they were used to seeing- so why would Jesus be any different. Same with seeing Peter and John!
    As far as conversions for the day- in the next chapter it mentions something like the number of converts is now close to 5000!
    Thanks for sharing Jack!

    ReplyDelete

A Final Post

 Good morning. We did it! The entire New Testament in a year. that is quite a feat! Thank you all for your dedication and work. It wasn'...