Monday, March 8, 2021

Colossians 1

 The letter opens with a traditional Pauline greeting, Paul stating that he has authority from God to write this letter, and from his good friend and scribe Timothy. Paul is writing this letter to address something known as the "Colossian Heresy"; it is not an exact definition, but the Colossian Heresy is the false doctrine that was beginning to permeate the city. Christian doctrine was becoming corrupt with mysticism, Gnosticism, and Jewish legalism; in short, there was lots of mixing of Christian doctrine with other religions and Paul wasn't too keen on that idea! This letter is his attempt to straighten them out! Are there times when you'd like to "straighten them out" when it comes to God and Jesus and the Holy Spirit? Even knowing that, this letter – full of love and concern, written to a church Paul had neither planted nor visited – shows the power of Christian love. Paul didn’t need to see or meet or directly know these Christians in order to love them and be concerned for them.

Paul mentions that he prays for them; remember, Paul didn't start his church- it is likely a man known as Epaphras (v 7) started the church in Colosse. It was primarily Gentiles (some Jews) and Philemon was a member and good leader of this church. Paul continues to pour out thanksgivings and grace to the people at the church; thankful for the work they are doing; thankful for the love they exhibit to all people; thankful for their presence and ministry to the city. There is a slight change in Paul's words though in v 9; Paul begins to change and talk about hod he prays for wisdom so that they can get back on track. Do  you pray like that? Begin with positives and then change language slightly asking for petitions on behalf of someone? Throughout this epistle, you will see Paul asking for wisdom and knowledge to increase for the Colossians. Paul desires them to "produce fruit" (v 10b), a common theme in Paul's writings; we have heard that view several times previous to this. Paul ends this section with a brief commentary on darkness and the potential power it has over us, but that God, through Jesus has freed us from that. Darkness is still an intense image for the evil and wicked powers that are in our world.

Paul now turns to a brief commentary/ meditation on the importance of Jesus. Theologians have long thought that Paul "borrowed" these words (vv 15-20) from a poem or hymn from the early church that describe what the early church believed about Jesus. Can you see the somewhat poetic/ musical trend in these lines? The first words Paul uses in this section are that "Jesus is the exact copy of God..." (v 15). Paul then goes on to focus his whole mind and heart on the centrality of Jesus; you can tell that Paul's entire being is consumed by the presence and awesomeness of Jesus. I just loved this section and read it several times. It made my heart and soul feel good. What does this passage tell you about Paul? I love the closing verse (v 20b) in my translations, "God made peace..."  Where is that peace now? Paul certainly feels it!

There are some really hard words in v 21, "At one time, you were separated from God..." referring to the point that we are human and we are of Adam's lineage! As pre-Christ humans, we were born alienated to God and then we accept a relationship with that same God that we were alienated from. Now, through Jesus, God has accepted all people into God's family. God's answer/response to that alienation brought on by Adam was the life and death of Christ= reconciliation to God. Do you feel alienated from God? Paul then goes on (v 23) to tell the people to continue to have faith and hope in Jesus; as per usual- the Colossians were beginning to get pulled away from God/ Jesus by the other religions and gods that were in Colosse. Do you feel getting pulled away at times? What does that do to your hope and faith?

Paul takes another turn (vv 24- 29) and begins to talk about himself and the suffering that he is going through for the good of the church. Paul likely wrote this letter from prison, and he comments (as he has in a few other letters that we have read), "My suffering is for the good." Paul comments that as Christ suffered for the church, so we must also suffer at times for the good of the church. There are pains that we all feel-- however, there is no comparison to the sufferings and pains that Christ felt for the Church! Have you felt those pains for your church? Paul tells that he was selected by God to teach/preach about Christ; Paul didn't put himself into that position- God put Paul there. Pastors often talk about heir "calling" into ministry. I feel we are all called to some aspect of ministry in the church. Do you have a "calling" that you can remember? Are you active in that ministry now?

Paul discusses the "mystery" or "secret" of the church. The truth was "revealed" when Christ was here. So, in the Hebrew Bible, the Jews didn't know the full story; there are aspects of God's plan that were not revealed until Christ. Does this possibly shed some light on why the Jews may have broken covenants? Part of the "mystery" may be that the Gentiles were all part of God's plan (v 27..."all people", along with the Jews, as "the chosen ones" but this couldn't be revealed until Jesus walked on earth with the Gentiles. Could both Jews and Gentiles be the chosen ones? Therefore, Paul says (vv 28-29) preach Christ to ALL people (my emphasis); bring ALL people under God's guidance; develop ALL people as Brother or Sister. Is that a new challenge for you? It was a struggle for Paul (v 29), but with God's grace, Paul was able to do it! Can you?

Great beginning! I am going to like this letter!

Enjoy the next few Spring like days!

Shalom+
Pastor Paul


14 comments:

  1. I love Paul's opening in all his letters! It makes me wish he were writing them directly to me and that I was in his thoughts as he spoke about my faith and how he and his friends are praying specifically for me and thanking God for me and my faith! In reading this chapter I want to BE the person he refers to in vs. 3 - 14. There does seem to be a lot of things going wrong in Colosse - classified as the Colossian Heresy. Paul definitely shows the Christian Love!!! I love to have conversations with people about God and being a Christian, but to straighten someone else out? HA. I can't keep myself straight! My study Bible - KJV - says that vs. 15-20 is how Paul counteracts the false teachings at Colosse. There are two parts in these vs. 1)Christ's supremacy in creation and 2)Christ's supremacy in redemption. Which, after I read that and reread those vs. I totally understand. Especially since the Colossian Heresy involved Angel worship and deprecation of Christ. These vs. say NO ONE is above Christ.! Vs 20 in my translation says "And having made peace through the blood of his cross, by him to reconcile all things unto himself; by him, I say, whether they be things in earth, or things in heaven." I think Paul is again saying it is ALL Christ - no one else! Here, again, is where I wish Paul were writing directly to me - vs. 24 - "Who now rejoice in my suffering for you....." Rejoicing in his suffering just for me because it was so important to Paul to spread the Good News and "save" as many people (to me) as he could that he was willing to suffer. I believe it was the Jews who were the chosen people, however, ALL are given Grace and Jesus' love and redemption if they believe! I like vs. 28-29 - ALL PEOPLE! The Pain I feel for my church, and all churches in general, is that they are, at present, dying. I so enjoy Paul's letters!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. About your opening comment-- so make these letters be addressed to you! I think many of Paul's letters have something to address in each of us!
      Paul does model Christian love for us. He begins by saying good and positive things, then he slowly changes his tone to do some chastising, then always closes with a reminder of goodness and grace.
      The area of Colosse was surrounded by pagan and multi-theism. Paul's goal is to remind the people of Christ's supremacy.
      Great work and commentary Donna! Thanks!

      Delete
  2. paul opens this book with a greeting to the Colossians and a prayer for them. His usual opening. He says he has learned of them (indicating that he has not met them)and that he is praying for them to stay on the straight and narrow path and bear good fruit. He wants tjem to be joyful and always thank God.As they are no longer living in darkness but in the lightbecause of Jesus saving them from sin
    I love the words "Christ is the visible image of the invisible God"
    Jesus is the creator of all Head of the church etc and thru Jesus we are all reconciled by Jesus Blood. we who were once far away living in darkness and sin are brought into Light by Jesus sacrifice.
    I am a little confused by Paul's word that he is suffering in his body . Perhaps it means that Paul is disheartened to learn that some of the people have backsliden from the Good News ad that he is trying so hard to get the word out to ALL PEOPLE so all will know the glory of God

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also like the "Christ is the visible image of the invisible God." There is just something about those words that helps me know more about God and who God is.
      Paul is "suffering in his body" because he is in prison. He was out teaching and preaching and evangelizing and he was jailed because of that. The Romans were not a fan of Paul. So that is the reference to suffering. Plus, he knows that he has lots of work to do and it is tough for him to do his work from a jail cell...thus the letters. And he is upset by the loss of people to other religions or back to Judaism.
      Great thoughts Clara!

      Delete
  3. Perhaps when we are finished with the reading of the NT we could review Luke for those that would like and missed our earlier reading??

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am chuckling with the question on how do you pray...positives in front? As I thought about this question I am all over the board and will admit I am easily distracted. My text says, through Jesus god has excepted all people into gods family. I find that confusing because didn’t he except us all before Jesus? I would like to believe both Jews and gentiles could be the chosen one.
    All through the Bible there is the message of peace yet it is so hard to achieve.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha! My thoughts are definitely not organized either Cindy! But, I am sure God can keep up with me!
      I think what Paul means by that line is that Jesus was the model and the Gentiles (and others) could use that model to be accepted. Prior to Jesus, there was no model and it was more difficult to "earn" God's grace (I know we don't earn it, but the Jews kind of thought that way through sacrifices, etc). I do believe God accepts ALL people.
      We can continue to strive for peace and work for justice. It can happen!
      Great thoughts Cindy!

      Delete
  5. There are certainly very positive thoughts in this chapter. Paul says that even though we sin (VS 22) "he has now reconciled in his fleshly body through death, so as to present you holy and blameless and irreproachable before him- provided that you continue securely established and steadfast in the faith." Again Paul wants us to have a strong faith.
    He calls Jesus "the image of the invisible God". This makes me think of my Christian Ed Director days. I used to have several classes come together (think usually around Pentacost) and the kids, teachers and I would talk about how do we believe something that we cannot see. I'm sure you've all done these exercises. One year we made pinwheels. We took them outside and the wind blew them and moved the pinwheels. We could not see the air moving but we certainly could see the pinwheels spinning. This demonstrated the point.
    Cindy, I'm just like that too. I try to always start out with gratitude because I know I won't get to if I don't lol. I know someone who keeps a prayer list going, crossing things off and adding every day. I wish my prayers were that organized. Good thing we can pray on and off all day so we can stay connected and make sure we cover everything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Faith was huge in Paul's life and he really impressed on others the importance of that faith and having a string relationship with faith and God/Jesus/ Holy Spirit.
      I like the pinwheel analogy of knowing something is real. Jesus is the pinwheel that shows us the Holy Spirit of God is a real thing!
      A list for prayers! Great idea for us unorganized people! I try to have a continual conversation with God throughout the day. It is usually me thinking thoughts and less of the listening to God aspect though!
      Great thoughts Cathy!

      Delete
  6. I forgot something. I was happy to hear you speak of Ohana yesterday, Pastor. My husband and I have very little family and have believed in this for a long time. If your “blood” family isn’t so great this is a great way to choose “family”.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Paul's letters to the church's keep the good news of Jesus, in our hearts, that he loves us and wants us to do good works and believe in him. Jesus is different from other religions. God sent his son , to live in a human body, sacrificed his body blood, to save us from sin. The mystify among the Gentles is Christ in you hope and Glory. The secret Paul talks about refers to God's plan was hidden until Jesus came into this world and live in our hearts. He stands alone as LORD over our world. Most Jews, like Jesus,disciples and the apostle Paul, believed and spread his word all over.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Interesting thought- Jesus is different than other religions as God sent a real person here for us...I don't know if there are other religions where their gods came in human form?
    Good thoughts RoseMarie! Thanks

    ReplyDelete

A Final Post

 Good morning. We did it! The entire New Testament in a year. that is quite a feat! Thank you all for your dedication and work. It wasn'...