Thursday, April 29, 2021

Romans 7

 Hi All! Great day yesterday. Lots of yard work completed and some gardening done: second crop of lettuce, radishes, beans, peas, kohlrabi, and onions are all in and ready to go! I am ready!! 

Great thoughts and comments about yesterday's reading. Thanks so much for all the hard work and time you are taking with this! This is a big task!! Today's reading continues with Paul's thoughts from yesterday and the idea of being a slave to sin even though we are offered the freedom of grace from God. 

These first verses are directed to the Jews that are reading Paul's comments. Paul explains that upon death, all contracts are null and void (vv 1-3); this includes the laws that people were living under. Obviously, if you are dead, you can (or can't) follow the law. He brings up the contract of marriage; marriage was a highly regarded covenant in the Judaic tradition and was thought to last forever; however, if the husband dies, then the woman is free to marry again. Odd statement, but it is addressed in the next few verses. Paul is setting up an analogy here.

Paul circles back to the beginning of  chapter 6:3-8 (we are dead to sin) with the following verse (v 4). If we died with Christ and we rose with Christ, then we are also dead to the law and the laws have no hold over us. So, not only have we died to sin, we have also died to the laws. People of the time were thinking, "We may be saved by grace, but we have to please God by following the law." Paul is saying that we are also dead to the laws. In some translations, v 4 comments about "marriage to another" (my translation says "you might belong to another"). The idea is that we are free form the law (dead to the law) so we can re-marry to Christ. In the past (before our covenant with Christ) we didn't produce fruit, we weren't good people, we did as we pleased (vv 5-6). However, now that we are married with Christ, we are better able to produce the fruits that God desires. Paul writes more about this in chapter 7!

As a result of these last two paragraphs, people may comment, "The law is equal is in then!" Paul comes back with the comment- No, the law is good as it showed us what sin was (v 7). We need to know the limits. We have to set rules in place sop we can know boundaries. You can't get mad at a child for touching and breaking something if they didn't know they shouldn't grab it in the first place! The issue we now have is that once sin knows the limits- it likes to push those limits! I can remember one time when Morgan was young (maybe 3?). She was taking a bath and would stand on the edge of the tub and jump in. Sherri told her a few times to not do that because she could get hurt. Morgan did it once more, Sherri said, "If you do that again, I will spank you." Morgan looked right at Sherri, climbed on the edge of the tub, and jumped in. I heard a blood curdling scream as I ran upstairs and saw a little red hand print on Morgan's bare butt! That is the idea Paul is saying- once we know the limits, we like to push them! We are innocent (alive) before we know or understand what limits the law sets (v 9).

Paul now looks at himself (vv 15- 20). Essentially saying, "I know I want to do right, I just can't sometimes." Paul lacks the power to do right because the law doesn't give power. The laws says, "These are the rules; follow them!" Paul realizes that as he sins, he is working against himself in being a new creation in Christ (v 17). A Christian must own up to the sins that are in  and from them, yet know that those sins are not really us if we are in Christ (v 19). 

We have a battle of our two selves waging war in each of us (vv 20- 23). We don't know how bad we are until we try to stop! C.S.Lewis once wrote: "No man knows how bad he is until he tries to be good!" Paul realizes that inwardly he wants to do good, but that there is this thing inside (some translations say "another law in my members") that makes him want to do bad. His "real self"is the one that desires good though. Paul seems to really struggle here and there is some discussion that Paul may have not yet fully converted to Christianity at this point; others comment that it is the regular struggle that all Christians face on a daily basis. The point of the passage is that it defines a man who is trying to be good and holy but gets beaten down by the power of sin. For Paul, and many of us, the war inside is real and daily. We are always fighting that desire to do bad with the idea and knowledge that we should be good people. It is a real struggle and constant!

Paul really comes down hard on himself in v 24, "What a miserable man I am" (some translations use wretched). These words were used by many of the saints; they never say, "Oh, how good was I!" Paul is worn out and exhausted from trying to please God under the law as he turns to someone outside of himself (v 24), "Who will save (deliver) me?" The voice of someone looking for salvation or deliverance. 

He turns to see Jesus (v 25)! "I thank God for saving me through Christ Jesus...." Through- Jesus is between God and Paul, the intermediate that has so long been looked for so that we can have an intimate and personal  relationship with God. I am reminded of the hymn "Victory in Jesus" with this comment from Paul. "Victory in Jesus, my Savior forever. He sought me and bought me with his redeeming blood; he loved me ere I knew him, and all my love is due him; he plunged me to victory beneath the cleansing flood."

Let us remember these words as we go about our day!

Shalom+
Pastor Paul


12 comments:

  1. Thanks for clearing up the question of baptism of babies. I thought that was the answer, babies are born in sin from Adam's sin.
    SIN what a topic! However are we to overcome sinning even with God's grace and love we still sin. This is the first in the letters we have read so far by Paul that we see his struggles with sin. We have been thinking if only I could be as strong in my belief as Paul I would have it all under control but now we are seeing Paul not quite as strong as previously thought He faces the struggles as we all do of sin. The law is now dead to us after we are born again but sin is not. What helps us to not sin is the forgiveness that Jesus gives to us.
    I am wondering now if there was NO TEMPTATION from the devil
    if there would be any sin at all.. Would Adam and Eve have sinned if the devil had not been there to tempt them to do wrong or would they have done wrong regardless.
    I remember when my oldest granddaughter was about three she was staying with me . I went to classes and made porcelain dolls. I also painted small doll figurines. She saw a figurine I had painted and picked is up. Knowing little hands could drop etc break this easily not thinking I LOUDLY told her not to touch it, she immediately put it down but very hard and the head broke off. She did not know not to touch it but my voice scared her and the consequences were a broken figurine which was probably my fault as she didn't know not to touch This ended with a heartbroken sobbing granddaughter, a heartbroken grandmother due to granddaughter tears etc and a broken figurine only because I shouted at her. I didn't have the patience to be like Jesus and calmly handle the situation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sin is such a tough word! I like to think I don't sin, just maybe do bad stuff once in a while!
      Good point Clara...this does seem like the first time we see Paul discussing sin and talking about him and his prior life. We do see a truly human side of Paul and his struggles. It is good to see. As you say- we have talked lots about his faith, but this is the first time we see his struggle!
      SO, if the Serpent hadn't "tricked" Eve into eating the fruit of the tree of knowledge of good and evil, and then if she didn't give it to Adam- would the serpent have come to another person? Plus, what would the story of Cain and Abel look like?
      Great story about granddaughter and not knowing what is right or what is wrong. And patience is something we can all work on!
      Great thoughts Clara!

      Delete
  2. I'm thinking that the laws are what give us boundaries. If we didn't have laws, how would we know that we are breaking them :)? So even though we feel that there are maybe too many laws in the OT we can see that we do need some for guidance.
    I think, like Paul, we can get worn out trying to be good and do the right things all the time. It's easy to rationalize our less than godly behavior.
    One day I was reading a Facebook post about things that we all did when we were in high school. There was the usual stuff that you would expect to see. Then I read that one person said that they were a bully- especially to one girl in particular. This woman went on to say that as an adult she had reached out to this "girl" and apologized to her. I think about this once in a while. What guts it took to reach out to someone who probably dreaded hearing from you in years past. I aspire to have that kind of compassion and courage.
    Probably most of us owe apologies. I do.
    More to pray about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And that's what Paul was saying...the laws in themselves aren't bad- they provide guidance and boundaries. It is when we push those limits that we get into trouble!
      Being good is hard, being bad is fun!
      To continue our discussion yesterday about people giving grace- The woman reaching out is a form of grace too and looking for forgiveness realizing she had done wrong. What compassion and respect. We all have things in our life to repent for...do we do it? Not always. It is hard asking for forgiveness because we are then admitting we did wrong!
      Great thoughts Cathy!

      Delete
  3. So first the apostles and Paul agree that those converting to Christianity only need to follow the three laws (I think in Acts) - Peter himself says that Jews cannot ask new Christians to follow the laws that they (as Jews) cannot follow. Then Paul argues that without the law we cannot know what sin is - the same law that Peter says is dead because we are reborn through Jesus. And I believe that Peter is specifically talking about Mosaic law because Paul addresses Jews who knew the law right in the beginning. So we need the law in order to know what sin is - but the law cannot condemn us to death because God's grace saves us.

    So if we are to know the boundaries of the law - to know what is sin - then we must know the Mosaic law? Or this is only for Jews?

    I do agree with Clara, it does seem like Paul is getting a lot more personal about his life and the difficulties he has. Very different from Chapters 1, 2 and 3 of his letter. But his statements do encourage me - for all Paul knows about Jews, Jesus, Mosaic Law and the Commandments - both from God to Moses and from Jesus, he can tell us that he understands sin and our struggles with it, (because he does as well) and what we need to do - how we are to live - how Jesus/God's grace saves us - we just need to believe!!!! Paul's faith is strong.

    My son is home from the hospital. However, is scheduled for some tests with the cardiologist. Continued prayers please!

    Cathy, I enjoyed your story about the fines. It does show we have the ability and capability to offer grace.

    Welcome back Jack - have missed your comments very much

    Sometimes it's nice to have a rainy day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The laws Peter and Paul were discussing were the Mosaic and Levitical laws...things handed down from God. I would assume (probably somewhat incorrectly!) that the Gentiles may have an idea of some of the laws that the Jews followed. They had working relationships with them and they lived in the same areas- for the most part although there was some separation. Plus, the Gentiles had laws of their own...especially the Roman Gentiles.
      We do get to see a different side of Paul in these last chapters. We see the struggle that we are facing and the similar ideas about sin and forgiveness that we have. It is good to know that Paul was like us! We forget that these people were human- just like us!
      Great thoughts Donna!

      Delete
  4. Cindy is doing well but having trouble with the internet service at her house. She’s hoping to be ousting again soon

    ReplyDelete
  5. Internet is fixed!
    Donna I will continue to pray for your son!
    I want to say a little about Baptism. Clara I agree that babies are so very special and without sin but as I said before I am always moved by the baptismal ceremony no matter what the age of who is being baptized. So many traditions seem to have gone by the wayside. I believe that is one of the reasons I am disappointed that my granddaughter has not been baptized.
    Clara I feel your pain with the story about your granddaughter. I think we have all had an experience like that.
    Cathy I remember when you took away the library fees. I was so bad about keeping books passed there due date. You would often give me a brake. I had no excuse as I live minutes away from the library. I will say I try really hard not to take advantage of it.
    Pastor Paul how wonderful that you take such advantage of our beautiful area with your hiking and gardening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so much love baptisms. The first one I officiated, I cried when I was reading the words. A tradition I have is carry the newly baptized person (if they are small enough) around the sanctuary so everyone can see the life that they committed to work with. I love doing that- it gives me more time with the baby and gives me an opportunity to enforce the commitment we made to nurture that person. My grandson is not yet baptized, but that is because of COVID restrictions and travel. I am so looking forward to sharing thus time with Joseph and my daughter!
      Thanks for your thoughts and comments, Cindy!

      Delete
  6. I have to stop in the middle of reading your comments, Paul, and insert 2 of my own. In reading the paragraph starting: ”Paul circles back to the beginning of chapter…”

    First, I have been under the impression that the law no longer applied once Jesus was here. It was only his grace and faith in Him that mattered. As I type this, however, it occurs to me that the Jews do not believe that Christ is the Messiah as we Christians do, Therefore, the Law is still in force for them.

    My second comment applies to a book I just finished, entitled "Outlawed: a novel," by Anna North. This book was set in the late 1800-early 1900 era and the belief stated in this book is that if a couple does not produce a child in the first year of their marriage, the woman is considered to be a witch and must be put to death. Of course, our heroine is barren in that she cannot conceive, so she runs off and joins an outlaw gang. The name of the gang is the "Hole in the Wall Gang" for all you Butch Cassidy fans out there, but there is no Butch Cassidy in this novel. I found it to be a very compelling read and I highly recommend it.

    Donna, I don’t know what problems your son is having (and it is none of my business), but I will pray for him.

    Clara, I feel sad about the broken figurine. I know I would have done the same thing and felt just as bad later. This, I believe, is what Paul (not the pastor) is trying to tell us in this chapter.

    This chapter turned out to be quite a tongue twister, but I think it makes sense to me now. I know that I am a sinner and my eyes are the most sinful organ in my body. I find it extremely difficult, however, to try to put sin where I know it belongs.

    There are loads of places to hike here in Montana. Unfortunately, the grizzlies like the trails, too. A man was just mauled to death the other day near Yellowstone Park. Take a companion with you when you hike - you only have to be able to run faster than he can (..that was a (bad) joke).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, Jack, the Jews that Paul is talking to do not believe that Jesus is the Messiah- as we do. Therefore, they are still under the law. Paul is trying to convert them, but they are somewhat resistant because they think the laws is more important than grace.
    The book sounds great- and in Biblical times, women who couldn't conceive were of lower status than "fertile" women. Like Sarah, they would even allow their maidservants conceive a child with their husband so the husband's lineage would continue! I just added the book to my library wish list...its up to 36 books now!
    One of the points Paul tries to bring out near the end is that if we let one member of our body sin, the our whole body sins. He brings this up again in 1 Corinthians about how the body needs to work together. We all struggle with sin and we all have that tough fight with right and wrong!
    Maybe I will get to Montana for some hiking some day...Jack, want to go with me?!
    Thanks for your thoughts Jack!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm afraid that you can run faster than me!

    ReplyDelete

A Final Post

 Good morning. We did it! The entire New Testament in a year. that is quite a feat! Thank you all for your dedication and work. It wasn'...