Tuesday, May 4, 2021

Romans 10

 Good morning all! It is good to be back with you again today!

Yesterday's reading and commentaries had quite a bit of discussion. "Predestination", God's love for people, faith v actions, and many others. As I said in one response...although there is one God in Christianity, that God is different for each person. The way I interpret God is different than the way anyone else interprets God. I was talking about perception to someone one day recently and made the comment: Perception becomes reality. I think that is true. My perception of God is my reality for God; you may have a different perception of God- and that becomes your reality of God. And, those perceptions may change aver time. The God we know today may be different from the God we knew before and the God we will know in the future. My perception of God is this: God loves all people in different ways and we return that love through faith which leads us to do good. On days when my faith is running deep, I have this desire to do and be good; other days- not so much. Does God love me the same every day- I think so; does God like me the same every day- I doubt it! My desire is for me to be a model so that people will come closer to God- I know I am not successful every day, but I hope I am getting better at that!

Anyway- enough preaching. I only do that one day a week!

We left yesterday with Paul discussing the faith of the Gentiles and that only some of the Jews were following Christ (for whatever reasons). We begin this morning with genuine words of care from Paul (v 1), "The thing I want most is for all Jews to be saved." That should be our want- for all to be saved. Do we? Want all to be saved? It is more than just a "care", Paul prays about it. We have talked before about the power of prayer and the feelings we get when others are praying for us. I think Paul shows some compassion here when he mentions that the people tried, but they were doing it wrong (vv 2-3). They, the Jews, were going about it the wrong way- focused on laws- but there was nobody there to teach them either! People cannot come to God/Jesus without the right information. However, there is also a personal responsibility to grow in faith! Our obedience to the law is no longer the basis for a relationship with God, it is faith and belief in God that holds the corner for that (v 4). The laws are still there as a standard and as a way to show us that we need a savior though. If you want to follow the laws- you must do them all- completely and fully (v 5)! We that don't follow the laws don't have to "work" to find Jesus (vv 6-7). We don't have to go to heaven or hell to find Jesus- all we need to do is believe. There is no work we can do that will guarantee us salvation- other than belief (v 8).

How do we gain God's salvation, God's righteousness? Confess and believe (v 9). Confess- agree with what God said about Jesus and agree with what Jesus said about Jesus! We are to recognize Jesus as God, Jesus as the Messiah, Jesus as the way to salvation, Jesus was resurrected. All of that! Paul goes on and says, "Believe with your heart..." (v 10). Belief in God is more than an intellectual, mind game...it tugs and pulls at your inner being. To the early Biblical world- the heart was the center of the being and the most important organ. To trust God  and believe God with our most vital organ really says something! Then Paul gets to he God that I imagine! "Anyone" (vv 11-13). Anyone can believe and have faith. Anyone can love God and trust God. Paul emphasizes the human actions that must happen though- we decide, we believe, we trust. All things that we do, not God. In Romans 9 it looked like it was all God actions- selecting the chosen; here in Romans 10, it seems like it up to us. Maybe two side of the same coin?! So is it up to us or up to God?

I really love this next set of verses (vv 14-15). It gives us a responsibility- looking at the Great Commandment "Go and make disciples..." It also points back to a story I really love about the Ethiopian eunuch in Acts when he is chatting with Philip. People can't ask for God's help unless they believe, and they can't believe unless they know about God, and they can't know about God unless someone teaches them. So, what is our job- teach them! God equips the chosen. We are each chosen to do something to spread the Gospel message. For some it is preaching, for some it is teaching, for some it is compassion, for some, acts of grace...you get the point. We have a solemn responsibility- to teach in whatever way we can so that people will know God.

Paul emphasizes this point in the next verses (vv 16-17). People can't automatically believe- they need to hear the message! Even if they hear- it doesn't mean they will believe. That's what Isaiah was saying (v 16): "God, not everyone is believing me!" My translation of Isaiah's words! As an example- do you believe everything you are told? Do you believe everything on a particular news cast? Or in a particular reading/ website? We choose what to believe- just like the Jews that had all the prophets telling them things! And even the Gentiles of today! God's message was spread throughout the world (well, at least most of the Mediterranean world at this point, v 18). God told Israel that there would be a non-believing nation that would come (the Gentiles) and they (the Jews) would be jealous (v 19). Paul then brings up a point from Isaiah that these people (the Gentiles) would seek out and start listening and believing (v 20), and all day, God was willing to accept the one's who didn't believe (the Jews), but they turned away (v 21). 

Yikes! Seems like a rough way to end a chapter- but there is lots to digest here! God didn't cast away or reject the Jews- there is restoration possible (coming up!).

Short chapter but lots to think about. I hope you can figure it out!

Shalom+
Pastor Paul



9 comments:

  1. Well, It appears that Paul may be thinking about what I'm thinking about. Vs. 14 says "How are they to believe in one of whom they have never heard? And how are they to hear without someone to proclaim him? And how are they to proclaim him unless they are sent?" Ah Ha! My point exactly. Here is the thing. If we don't meet people where they are, how are we to meet them? inviting people to church just doesn't work. Telling them that they are doomed unless they do ______ doesn't work. Shaming doesn't work.
    Maybe leading could do some good? Leading by example? Sometimes one kind act or one act of helping someone can make a huge difference. Maybe extending that grace- and not expecting anything in return? Raising people dignity, listening to them, forgiving a harsh word that was spoken in frustration. Praying for them.
    I sure don't know and I'm not an expert. I know that I need some of these graces myself!
    Vs 17 says "Faith comes from what is heard, and what is heard comes from the word of Christ."
    Sorry Paul, for writing harshly about for the last few days. lol. I want to help and do my part but I do not want to be part of an elite club. I really struggle with this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree exactly with what you say Cathy! We can't assume people know anything about God/Jesus/ Holy Spirit unless we teach them. And church is a threatening environment...people saying this at seemingly random times, the liturgies we all know, when to stand when to sit when to say things when to be quiet. And all people that go to church are good- so why would an outsider want to come?! Plus, if you sit in my seat, I will be angry!
      I think people that really think about being a disciple really look at the hard questions and comments you pose. When Jesus gave the great commandment, Jesus didn't say- bring them here- Jesus said Go! But that isn't "safe" for us, because when we Go we meet people where they are- and that isn't comfortable for us! More discussion is needed! This will preach- possibly this Sunday at LM!
      I hear exactly what you say and it is something I have been struggling with for a while! I didn't see it as harsh writing- I saw it as honesty! And we in the church need to be honest and see what we are doing isn't working!
      Thanks Cathy!

      Delete
  2. So true that we all perceive god in a different way! Cathy what you have said above makes so much sense to me. I have said to my children small acts make a big different. I know they give to organizations that they feel compassionate about but working with that organization can really have a lasting impact.
    Also what we believe and how we have come to believe in a particular way is such a mystery. You look at people who grew up in the same household yet see things so differently.
    I am reading The Three Mothers...How the mother's of Martin Luther King, Malcom X and James Baldwin shaped a nation.
    Louise Little Malcom Xs mother took her children to Catholic mass, congregated with Baptists and learned from Hindus. She said, you take what you see fit and establish your own relationship with God, not a religious one but a spiritual relationship with God. These women saw such injustice and hardship yet had such strong faith.
    After so many of these readings I am often confused or they even seem repetitive, but after I read Pastor Paul's comments and what everyone else has to say I am always enlighten.
    I had a wonderful birthday weekend with two of my children and granddaughter. Yesterday I spent the day with my sister and parents which I so enjoyed. Today I rode the stationery bike for 10 minutes which is a big deal with a new knee!
    Donna continued prayers for your son.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 10 minutes on the bike! That's great!! What a way to celebrate your birthday!! I hope you had cake after!
      I just added the book suggestion to my "Books to Get" library list! I love my library!!
      I like your synopsis that a relationship with God is spiritual rather than religious. One huge problem is that Christians tend to be too religious and not spiritual enough. The religiosity helps us condemn, humiliate, shut-out "them" while I think the spirituality helps us understand with compassion, love, grace.
      How do we create a spiritual relationship rather than a religious relationship?
      I am glad you had a great weekend with family- it is always a joy spending time with family!

      Delete
  3. Cindy Happy belated Birthday. Hope you had a great day . Hope you are improving and healing from your surgery.

    Paul continues to pray and hope the Jews will see the light and understand that the law does not bring them salvation.. The laws are so written that only a person would have to be perfect to follow them and no person is perfect .
    The Jews were waiting for the Messiah but when he came they didn't believe even though they knew of Him The Gentiles who did not know of the Messiah believed in Him even tho they didn't know about Him. The Jews were blind to Jesus and couldn't see Jesus as the Messiah .
    So often we can't see what is right in front of our faces.
    Paul really struggles for his people as the can't see the forest for the trees.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a powerful statement Clara- why don't we see what is clearly in front of us? I like your "blindness" comments. I think we too are blind to Jesus at times. We look beyond the person and the deity seeking something else. How can we change that?
      Great points Clara!

      Delete
  4. Cindy, I am so glad you had such a wonderful birthday with your children and family!! And thank you for the prayers.

    I agree with you both, Cathy and Cindy, good acts - random acts of kindness - are so very important. But I feel we need to verbalize our faith as well. I agree with what Paul says in vs. 14 - "....and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?" I feel good works should go along with spreading the Good Word. Something I definitely need to work on. However, Pastor, I read a comment you made about having a list of things we can do to get the message out without being too preachy. I cannot wait to hear them and, then, hopefully, try them!!

    If I am understanding your comments (both yesterday in reply to our comments and today's comment), the only thing - the only thing - that Jews not do that should be changed (according to readings in both Paul's letters and the gospels) is that they should believe Jesus is their savior, Son of God AND that their faith in this will bring them salvation NOT following the laws alone. But I am a little puzzled. The Jews had and have great faith in God. I find it difficult to understand why it is being portrayed that Jews didn't think they would get righteousness from a God they had GREAT faith in. Their laws - of which there were/are many - are not different then the commandments Moses was given by God and the two Jesus gave us - along with the Great Commission - laws that we follow today. We don't think we will get righteousness from obeying them. So it really boils down to their acceptance of Jesus? And is it because they do not accept Jesus as the Son of God or because they do not accept that Jesus rose from the dead and into heaven? Or both?

    And if Jews received these laws from God - or prophets sent by God - how can their believing in the laws be wrong? Does the fact that God sent Jesus change the playing field?

    And what about vs. 13? "For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved>" and Peter says it in Acts 2:21 and the prophet Joel says it in 2:32. Soooooo - just the Lord and ok if you don't believe in Jesus? I realize we as Christians do and I totally do - but then why is it said twice in the NT and once in the OT.

    But, as you pointed out, Pastor, in vs. 21 Paul says "....All day long have I stretched forth my hands unto a disobedient and gainsaying people." They followed all the laws and covenants given to them by God and because they do not believe in Jesus they are suddenly disobedient and gainsaying? I understand their being hesitant. Does one covenant make the previous one null and void? And since the Mosaic laws show us what is sin, why aren't we following it? I understand it will not bring us salvation - but.....

    Thank you for the background on the Trinity but does Jesus say that? Doesn't Jesus always refer to himself as God's Son? And even somewhere in the Bible say He will send the Holy Spirit? Sorry - this is just baffling to me!

    I agree with what you say about God (OT vs NT) and how we perceive Him - but are we making God into what we need at the moment? What we want Him to be so we can go on living as we do? As I did in my wilder days? Making God a little too soft? A little too accepting about the way we live our lives - or fail to live them?

    Enjoy the rest of the day!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sunday's message is about transformation and Peter says the words "Let's go out and fish" (or something like that). Those are key words for the message- let's go fishing. Get off the pews and go out. That's where the ideas will come in (I hope).
      Teaching is critical to understanding- but we can't overwhelm. I have done some tutoring during the last month; the student was very attentive, but when I left he looked "shell shocked" because I just talked and talked about things- I miss teaching and he got a full year's worth in a few minutes!
      Many of the Jews had great faith- but we also hear stories of many groups that lost faith- making the golden calf, building the tower of Babel are two huge examples.
      I think the point Paul is trying to say is that the Jews rejected Jesus- the Messiah. I think that's the whole sum of what these chapters have boiled down to. You are right- many Jews had great faith, many obeyed the laws- to the best of their ability, they knew God and had a relationship (as best as they could) with God...but they didn't believe enough in Jesus as the Messiah. The resurrection was another stumbling block for them too.
      What Paul is preaching (and what we contemporary preachers preach) is belief in God/Jesus/ Holy Spirit is what is needed for salvation. It isn't the laws- justified by faith is the mantra of the Methodists. So, I think the fact that God sent Jesus, and said that Jesus superseded the laws, is what the Jews didn't believe in. They weren't looking to change- the were looking to the laws. We know all about change. I imagine many of the Jews said, "well, we've always done it this way!"
      When we say "the Lord"- who are we referencing? For Joel- it might just be a reference to God- since that is all the Jews knew- but in the NT- don't we "now" have the Trinity? Jesus was called Lord many times by his followers- so Lord cold be referencing all three?
      My understanding is that once a new covenant was established- the old was void and to be forgotten. But like we say, change is hard. After following the laws for so long- it had to be tough for the Jews to suddenly change. We don't follow the Mosaic laws- or any other- since we are from the Gentile lineage. Only Jews had to follow the laws. I am sure the Gentiles had "laws" to make society flow correctly- but they weren't handed down from God, they were developed by people.
      The trinity is a confusing concept. Jesus does reference himself as God's son several times (and some of the disciples even call him the son of God) and Jesus does say (in John 14 and a few other places) I will send an advocate, the holy spirit...The trinity is a human concept to define three separate yet conjoined parts of God. That's the best I can give!
      I don't think the God of the NT Is "softer" but the NT God handles things differently. As parents, we find that punishment doesn't always work they way we want it to, so we try something different. That something different for God was Jesus. Can't God try different ways to get God's point across? It is confusing and does require more study and discussion!
      Great thoughts and questions. Thanks Donna!

      Delete
  5. I agree with you Donna! I think that piece between acting like Jesus wants us to and actually talking about Jesus is missing and not often well accepted by those we’re trying to reach.

    ReplyDelete

A Final Post

 Good morning. We did it! The entire New Testament in a year. that is quite a feat! Thank you all for your dedication and work. It wasn'...