Thursday, May 6, 2021

Romans 12

 Hi again! I hope you all had a good day yesterday. It was kind of a grey and rainy day, so lots of inside work for me...waiting to get outside again! I hear the garden calling me!

Chapter 12 is a short one with a primary focus of living a Christian life (and we all know how to do that- so this should be easy for us!). 

Paul begins with the thought- since God is so gracious and merciful to us, we should present a sacrifice to God. God's goodness and mercies come from: being placed under grace rather than the law, justification by faith, identification and adoption with Christ, given the Holy Spirit to guide us, promise of coming glory, confidence in God's faithfulness. In light of all this (and more), Paul suggests that we present God our entire beings, our bodies: Our spirit, our soul, our flesh, our mind- all of it- should be given to God. God wants us, not our works! Ancient Greek theology thought that God wouldn't want our bodies because they were too "nonspiritual"; Paul says just the opposite here- God wants us! People knew all about sacrifices, but the sacrifice was usually killed at the altar; Paul says that this (we) are living, brought to the altar, and kept alive! A fear I have is- how holy and acceptable are we? I guess God doesn't care though!

Paul cautions us to not be transformed by the world (v 2), but to be transformed through Christ into new people. The popular culture, even 2000 years ago, was corrupt and against God. How much of that is true today? And how do we know. I often speak of injustices and oppressions- but is that me listening to the world or is it truly what God wants? Christians must think differently that the world. St. Augustine once wrote: "Right is right, even if nobody is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everybody is doing it." I think this is very true here. As we are transformed by the Holy Spirit, we will know right and wrong, we will understand the desires of God, we will be more attentive to God and the impact God has in our life.

But, Paul warns, don't get too pompous (V 3)! Practice humility. Tough to do when we are "us" and they are "them" though! I know many "Christians" that are so full of themselves! I think we all know that kind of Christian! The gift of mercy and grace should allow us to examine ourselves and really look at ourselves and see how we can improve- not worry about others. 

As a church- we should be unified as one whole, made up of many individual parts (vv 4-5). This theme comes up again in 1 Corinthians. Winston Churchill once wrote: "Diversity is the one true thing we all have in common. ..celebrate it every day." In the body of Christ, there is unity but not uniformity. As we work together, we have a common goal- to unify the body of Christ. If we are not unifying, but taking apart, that body- we are working against God. Hmmm...that will preach some day!

Paul then begins a discussion of some of the spiritual gifts that are given to individuals (vv 5-8). Not everyone has all- we need to remember that! Spiritual gifts are not given through merit- they are given through God's grace. In 1 Corinthians, Paul says that the spiritual gifts are "handed out" by the Holy Spirit! If you have a gift- use it! But, how do we know what gift(s) we have? That's where others in the church can come in. Another avenue is a "spiritual gifts inventory" to help us discern what gifts we have. I think I am a good teacher, but my bookkeeping skills are terrible; that's why I am a pastor not a finance person! Think about the gifts you have and the careers you have (had). I am sure they fit- if they didn't it was probably more like a job than a career. 

Paul opens the door to living as a Christian with others (vv 9-13). Genuine love. Hate evil. Love goodness. Practice humility and humbleness. Be a hard worker (for self and for church). Show joy! Have hope! Practice patience. Pray- all the time! Practice hospitality to all (even "them"). As we look at this list- how many of these are you faithful participants in and practice regularly? I see the list and notice my life is full of deficiencies! As I go through the list, I can see people (Christians) that I know who are living these to the fullest- and then I see people (Christians) that, like me, are deficient in some of these areas! Guess I am being "judgey" here-- where is that on the list?!

Paul continues the list (vv 14-21)- almost sounding like Jesus' Sermon on the Mount. Bless those who persecute. Have compassion. Be considerate.Be humble (again! must be important). Mimic Jesus (associate with the lowly and humble). Love your enemies. Overcome evil with goodness.

Some great instructions. Imagine what life would be like if we all practiced all of these?! The song that immediately comes to mind is Louis Armstrong "What a Wonderful World." Wouldn't it be!

The sun is beginning to shine (8:30AM here) finally. Looks like it might be an outside day eventually! Enjoy it and have a good one. 

Shalom+
Pastor Paul


10 comments:

  1. This is a good chapter. It gives a lot of goals to strive for. I always keep in mind that we are all different- we have different experiences and personalities. God made us all different. We have uniquecgifts. But we are all very complicated people and we are probably not going to meet all our goals. In our humanity we are going to succumb to negative emotions. We can’t be perfect and I don’t think god expects us to be. We can do our best!
    Today on the news I am hearing that there is a man in our area who has murdered someone in NYC. Police are calling him dangerous and they’re looking for him. The man says he won’t be taken alive. What happened to him to make him this way? It must be a very sad story. I know God is watching this situation. Think of all the people this affects! The victim of the murder, the murderer, police officers, all the family and friends. Thankfully God is there for all. Vs 21- “do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.” I think this means pray for everyone involved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John Wesley was always a proponent of striving for excellence, knowing we will never reach perfection in this world, but we are to continue to strive for being as perfect as we can. With Christ as our model, we are to continue to pursue living a good and wholesome life.
      We are all different and that is what makes the world a fun place to live!
      I was in education for 33 years; I was one of adults that kids trusted with everything. I was always amazed at the lives that some of these kids lived- and how they turned out. I would often have the "bad" kids talk with me- because nobody else could. They had rough lives and knowing that allowed me to understand why they did what they did.
      Be there for all people through prayer and intervention when we can.
      Thanks for the words Cathy

      Delete
  2. A great chapter
    Pauls tells us how to be a good Christian and follow Jesus. Be humble don't let pride rule us . Use the special talents God bestowed on us to lead others and follow God's way.
    At times this doesn't always work as we let other things get in our way. Pride in what we do is okay as long as it is for benefit of others and goodness of God.
    Have a great day. Loving the sunshine, everything looks so bright.
    The earth is reawakening from winter flowers and greenery leaves etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it is ok to be "proud" of what you do, as long as it doesn't interfere with what's going on. It is good to be able to showcase our talents and gifts as long as we are able to do it for the glory of God. The issue is when people take it too far and become pompous and have a "holier than thou" attitude.
      Thanks for the thoughts Clara.

      Delete
  3. God has given us each different gifts to use. This is so true and I believe no matter how small the gift you can make a difference. A kind word to someone who is down. I think we are all readers in this group. The Five People You Meet In Heaven is a great example of this. It was written in 2003. I can't believe it has been that long. I think I need to re-read it.
    Ask God to bless everyone who mistreats you...what great advice. I am going to challenge myself to do this.
    I actually took advantage of this nice day to do a little weeding in the garden. Wow do they grow fast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just added the book to my library list. Our older daughter read it a while ago and she loved it. Thanks for the reminder of it!
      Pre-COVID it was easy to smile at someone and I used to do it all the time. It it tougher with masks on, and I catch myself still doing it- but a smile goes a long way to cheering up people. Imagine if everyone would do that!
      I am sometimes shocked at the way strangers treat others. Just be nice! We can do what we can do...it is the small ripples that we create that can change the world!
      Thanks Cindy!

      Delete
  4. Well, once again we (Rhea and I) have fallen behind. This cannot continue and I pray that it doesn't keep happening.

    Now that that is out of the way, I wish that I had paid attention to the gifts (bestowed upon me by God) at a much younger age and I would have been much happier. But that is neither here nor there now. I must now pay attention to the gifts God has bestowed upon me. These gifts are plentiful and, when I consider them, they make me very happy, which is the most important thing for a man of my age.

    For instance, I am mechanically inclined. I can usually figure out how a machine works, and fix it if it is broken. I have a good sense of direction. I can always find my way on the open road. Finding my way with people is a skill that I lack, and I attempt to do the best I can. I do best when I am on my own and working by myself. I believe that this is what God had in mind when He made me, and I pray that I am now doing his work.

    Before I left New York, I was involved in a dog rescue outfit. We would, working in a relay, transport dogs from Darlington, SC to places in PA and New York where they could be adopted. These dogs were abandoned in SC, sometimes being left on the side of the road. The aim was to find homes for them and, thus, give them a better life. I always thought I was doing God's work when I was doing this and I would like to do something similar here in Montana. We are searching for a dog to adopt ourselves, but the pickings are slim as I think the demand for dogs was pretty heavy in the worst of the lockdowns. More dogs are becoming available now. I, for one, think that dogs are wonderful creatures. This may not be exactly what Paul was preaching in this chapter, but I don't think that I am too far off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jack- life is busy and we do what we can. Read when you can, I get it!
      If we all paid more attention to our gifts I think we would all be more happy! It is amazing how we feel when we are doing things that fit with our spiritual gifts! And how miserable we are when we are doing things outside our "gift realm"
      You have found some of your gifts- keep focusing on them. And I get the introvert thing- that defines me perfectly! I am quite the introvert!
      I think you have the idea of what Paul was saying- we are happiest when we are capitalizing ion our gifts- and we all have different gifts. Find yours and work with that!
      I hope you are able to find a dog- I know how much you loved the ones you had here in NY.
      Thanks for sharing Jack!

      Delete
  5. Good Morning! I did yesterday's readings but I was in Lancaster - went to see Esther at Sight and Sound - so spectacular!!!

    I enjoyed Chapter 12 and totally agree with what Paul says. However, as the saying goes - much easier to say then to do. But I try. I do understand that we are all given gifts by God so I have two questions:

    1) If we are all given gifts and one of them that is listed is teacher - which I am sure then Paul is thinking more of teacher of religion (rabbi) not teachers like - well, like you, Pastor. So if we are, are all of us given the gift to make disciples? Wouldn't that be part of teaching? I understand we are all to spread the God News - but isn't that different then actually making disciples? Which would take many conversations and more time?

    2) I was told, by several clergy people, that gifts and talents were two different things. Thoughts???

    I agree with you, Jack, I wish I had taken advantage of the gift(s) that God gave me years ago - however, I also believe that those gifts do not expire! smile What wonderful work you are doing, Jack! You are right - it was God's work because you are not only helping the animals but giving a special gift to people with the gift of a Dog!

    Brrrrrrr

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sherri and I had an opportunity to see Noah at Sight and Sound several years ago. It was great! I'd like to hear about Esther!
    Paul does give us a good list- but it is hard to be good all the time! Wesley would challenge his groups to strive for perfection- something we all should be doing. Knowing we will never get there in this earth, but we should keep going onward!
    Re: teaching- The gift of teaching means that you are able to help others grasp concepts- so rabbi, preacher, educator. Making disciples has something to do with that- people need to learn to become a follower, but also the other gifts can make disciples too. Think of gifts of hospitality and welcoming or gifts of outreach or gifts of mercy or gifts of pastoring/shepherding. All of these can work together to bring people closer to God.
    Hmmm...tough question- are gifts and talents different? I would say that they are the same things. I think the talents we have are the gifts that we have. If I am good at something, then it must be gifted from God. As you know, I was not gifted with a singing ability- and it is definitely not one of my talents! I do think I am gifted in teaching- and I think this is a talent I have, not everyone can do that. Does that make sense??
    I would also argue that gifts may change over time. We are always evolving and we may learn of a new spiritual gift later in life. It may have always been there, we just never found it or trusted that gift.
    Yah...brrr! And Gray!
    Thanks Donna

    ReplyDelete

A Final Post

 Good morning. We did it! The entire New Testament in a year. that is quite a feat! Thank you all for your dedication and work. It wasn'...