Friday, May 7, 2021

Romans 13

Good morning! Another late start for me. Sherri has off today and it was the community garage sale on Marshland Road. I went for damage control! Joseph will be spending the summer with us (and Lauren and Chris, too), so we had to get some things. Emphasis on the words "HAD TO"water table, sand box, slide, kid size tricycle, books, kid pool! It is going to be a fun summer!! Then breakfast at Sugar Maple Cafe! Our fist food at an establishment on well over a year! Strange! Great food- highly recommend if you haven't been there!

Great conversation from yesterday's reading. A big topic of discussion was spiritual gifts. I found a spiritual gifts inventory from the UMC. I am going to do this later today. It might be interesting if we all do it and see what our gifts are. It is a series of 80 questions, so will take some time. The website is Spiritual Gifts Inventory and will open in a new window.

Yesterday's reading ended with how we are to strive for a Christian life and our interactions with other people. Today Paul turns to the government for a few paragraphs and then turns to our "neighbors". It is some interesting reading! Paul touches on several very political topics that I am sure can be very controversial- so let's try to be considerate of others in our responses!

Paul begins with our obligation to the government (vv 1-2). Paul says we are to obey the government, because the rulers are put there by God. This goes against some of the very zealous Jews who did not recognize any king other than God. Paul says that God appoints a nation's leaders. Remember, Paul is writing this during the time of the Roman empire, one of the more hostile empires we know of, no special privileges for Christians, quite a bit of persecution. Also, remember that on all three synoptic Gospels, we hear Jesus say "Render unto Caesar what is Caesar's, render unto God what is God's." Without trying to sound too political-- I question how far we have come from the idea that God appoints the nation's leaders.

Paul's idea is that Christians should be model citizens (vv 3-4). A Christian's loyalty is to God and country; they are honest and fair, pay their taxes, do what is right, and pray for their leaders daily. That defines all of us- right? There is a continuation that the leaders should remember that they are God's servants (some translations say "ministers of God"), they are not gods themselves. In early Roman/Greek times, the rulers often looked at themselves as actual gods. Keep in mind, Paul says, that the nation has the right to punish if you are wrong! The government has the power to help God control sin in people. 

Emphasizing taxation (vv 6-7), Paul says we are to pay what we owe. If the nation is doing God's work, then we are supporting God while paying taxes. In the same context, the taxes gathered by the government are to restrain evil, promote a good society and not line the pockets of the leaders! While giving the state honor, money, and reverence, we should be reminded to give God what is rightfully God's too!

Turning to our neighbors, I love this next statement from Paul. The only thing we should owe another is love (vv 8-10). Imagine if that were true! The only "debt" we are to carry is the debt of love for others. Paul then seems to go through the Ten Commandments and we hear an echo of Jesus' words (Matthew 22:36-40) "love your neighbors". That's tough, right?! I mean, we can do church, we can do religion, we can do God- but now you want me to love people?!

"The time is right" ("We live in an important time..." in my translation) (v 11) points to the idea that Jesus would be returning soon and we should be ready for that through expressions of love and respect for all people. Be awake, don't be sleeping- because if you're sleeping- yo may miss it! When we are awake we hear better, we see better. Cast off the darkness (night= evil) (v 12). Paul talks about putting on or using the weapons used for fighting in the light- reminiscent of the armor of God (Ephesians 6:1-18)...the tools we use to fight and resist evil. We must cast off the rags of sin before we can put on the robe of Christ. We must get rid of the bad and wicked things in our life (vv 13- 14) (night) before we can really say that we are true Christians (light). 

Some really good words from Paul. I try to imagine what the world would be like of we were able to live the way Paul (and Christ) suggests that we live. Wouldn't the world be a different place? It is a challenge to do what Paul suggests, but try we must!

Great way to end the week!

I hope you all enjoy the weekend and enjoy today's reading! The next chapter talks about unity and respect and then Paul chats some about his life and works. Almost done with Romans and then it is on to 1 and 2 Thessalonians- two short epistles from Paul, probably written in Corinth to address some specific problems in the church. Theologians think these may have been Paul's first letters written (that we have evidence of) so dated around 45-50 AD.

See you all back Monday!

Shalom+
Pastor Paul


6 comments:

  1. Growing up I was taught to respect my elders or people in authority. So my parents, teachers, minister and police were on that list that i actually kind of feared. I remember the first time I was pulled over by a policeman, I had gotten permission to go to the movies with my sister and cousin and Dad let me take the truck. I was going down the vestal Parkway (this was in 1958) and the siren and flashing red light came on I was so scared and was shaking like a leaf. I had no idea what I had done wrong. He asked to see license and registration which I give to him He said " do you know why i stopped you" "No " I said
    Your tail light is not working just pull into a garage and they will fix it for you. I don't think I had quit shaking by the end of the movie.
    I think now even if i were stopped i would even shake the same way.
    However now times are different and with all the problems with the police with BLM people are not so respectful of the police as when I was young .
    Paul wants us to be good citizens and respect Authority and do our part to make a good world remembering that is what Jesus did. He was a servant and walked humbly and loved the people. Paul speaks of the night being almost gone and the day soon to come. He wants us to be ready for Jesus when he returns. Our lives and souls should be as clean as they can possibly be.

    Have a good weekend everyone. Happy Mother's Day to all Moms.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great story- what was the movie?
      Respect for others has certainly gone down much, even in my life time! I'm not sure why. I do believe all people should be treated fairly and honestly, there also needs to be a level of respect and honor that goes along with that. There seems to be too much of an "entitled" feeling the way some people react and respond to various situations.
      Re: BLM and other incidents that have happened recently- I believe there is fault to be pointed out by "both" sides. I on't know why we just can't get along!
      Everything seems so complicated at times!
      Thanks Clara

      Delete
  2. Yes, I am honest and fair toward our government. We have the greatest country in the world, but it is so easy to lose sight of that concept these days. I pay my taxes like a good Christian. This is all I am going to say on this topic.

    I want to comment on Clara's comment about the police. I am totally for the police. I think they do a thankless job under very trying circumstances. I know there are a few bad ones, as there are are few bad apples in every bunch. I think that more than 99% of the police are good people trying to do a good job.

    A neighbor of mine here in Great Falls is a detective for the Sheriff's Department. I don't remember how we met, but it turns out that he hails from Olean, NY, and he says us New Yorkers must stick together. He and his kids cleaned out my driveway during one of our big snowstorms this winter. He usually brings a sheriff car home with him at night and parks it in front of his house. A great crime deterrent. It is a pleasure to know him.

    I truly believe that this is what is meant by "love your neighbor as you love yourself." I try to be a good neighbor to everyone I meet, but I know I fall short at times.

    This is a very familiar chapter in that Paul begins by talking about the government and how we should always pay our taxes, and goes on to summarize the Ten Commandments. This is something we all need to hear every so often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with your comment re: the police. I know a few personally and they are all good people. Unfortunately- as with other occupations and people- we only hear about the bad ones that ruin it for others.
      Jack, we all fall short! As long as we continue to try to improve, we are doing well then!
      Going back to our basics, back to our beginnings would be humbling and a good change I think!
      Thanks Jack

      Delete
  3. Another chapter where Paul gives us guidance for living. Obeying laws, respecting authorities, paying our part. I think that a big part of being a good person is having respect; for authority, for your neighbors, co-workers . Also for your children and other family members and for yourself. I tried really hard to instill in my children that I respected them and would listen to them but I needed respect in return. I just don’t see this generally going on in the world today. I see a lot of people making excuses for themselves instead of respecting themselves enough to own up to their own behavior.
    Life is difficult, that’s for sure.
    I am not quite ready to eat in restaurants yet but if I were I would certainly go to Sugar Maple. We do order take out. I’ve been friends with Aaron and Jena for a long time. They’re great people.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am not sure what has happened with the concept of respect? There seems to be none for others (and for self at times!). To me, it seems our world has become a me first world- at the expense of others. Not sure how to change that other than keep modeling the "right" way to do things. Small changes will eventually make a big impact.
    Aaron and Jenna are good people. They used to attend LM before the diner opened. I officiated their vow renewal and baptized Amelia and Katherine.
    Thanks Cathy

    ReplyDelete

A Final Post

 Good morning. We did it! The entire New Testament in a year. that is quite a feat! Thank you all for your dedication and work. It wasn'...