Monday, May 10, 2021

Romans 14

 Good morning and welcome back to our readings for the week! Good but busy weekend...clean-up day at LM and then we got a new barn occupant...Jerome the Jersey!

This is Jerome!

Three more chapters in Romans and then we move to Thessalonians- two short books. Keep up the good work and the questions., thoughts, and  comments have been great!

I really like Paul's comment in the first verse,  "Accept into your group those who are weak in faith..." and he continues that we should do it not for debating and arguing the case of faith with them , but to help instruct them. We were all once, "weak in faith" and it was the grace of others that taught us how to be Christians. How many times have we had an opportunity to teach someone about faith, and lost that opportunity? As an example of teaching about faith, Paul brings up a dietary situation. Paul suggests that some people refuse to eat meat for possible spiritual reasons (maybe the meat was used as a sacrifice to a pagan god? or maybe the meat wasn't kosher?). This may not be a big issue for us today, but this was a huge division among the early believers! Paul was saying. just because some Christians saw nothing wrong with the meat, and others did- don't argue about it! The concept Paul is talking about its seeing two different sides of a coin. One person believes one thing, another believes the opposite. Talk about it, try to discuss and know why the beliefs exist. Stop judging others (v 4) is the overall message here, something that Paul has talked much about! There were (and still continue to be) divisions between Christians because of small, trivial, senseless, possibly bigoted things. There are bigger issues we need to worry about! Paul talks about observing specific days (vv 5-6), extending his meat/vegetable discussion to a broader sense. It's not just dietary requirements alone, just stop judging! People should be held to their own conscious and keep focus on the Lord when we do something and believe strongly in something. Paul is working on unifying people rather than dividing people. Like I mentioned before, we have more to worry about than who eats the sacrifice or who comes to church on a  particular day!

We are all connected together- beginning at birth (vv 7-9). Paul reminds the  Roman Christians (and us) that no person is an island; we are so intimately interwoven that what one person does affects the entire community. I am currently reading The Hidden Life of Trees (Peter Wohlleben). In one section, he was talking about how trees are interconnected with each other through their roots and certain species (he used beech trees) will shuttle nutrients to weaker trees so they can survive better. That's like us; we are intimately connected such that we should be helping others survive! Additionally, Paul reminds us that we are also intimately connected to God, from our birth, and all that we do should be focused on God and for the glory and honor of God. I think that people sometimes do things because they want the attention and glory for themselves!

So, as we have said several times in our discussions and Paul suggests to us now, why do we judge (vv 10-12)? We will all be judged by God eventually too! Strict, rule following Christians found it easy to judge others; so do we. There isn't a day that goes by where someone doesn't say something about the actions of others! We mention "those people" (sometimes calling them out by name), thinking we are so much better (well, not us of course, we're good people!) Interesting side note: (some translations have) "the judgement seat of God" (v 11c; my translation says "we will all stand before God to be judged...). The judgement seat is a reference to the bema seat, the judges seat at the Olympic games. The first, second, and third place winners of each game would come before the judge on his bema seat, and receive their crowns for winning.  References to " a crown of victory" come up several times in the New Testament.

Paul (v 13) summarizes these last verses by saying (essentially), "STOP!" He goes on to say that in our judging, we may even cause someone to sin- by beating them down and chastising them so much, they may turn away and be lost.

Paul talks more about the ways we can cause others to stumble in their faith. He brings up the eating issue again (a big controversy in the early church), essentially saying- what does it matter (v 14)!? Paul knew there was nothing intrinsically wrong with non-kosher food, but why ruin someone's faith by arguing about it! There is nothing intrinsically wrong with wearing jeans to worship- so why ruin someone's faith about arguing over it? There is nothing intrinsically wrong with kids having goldfish (crackers) in the sanctuary, so why ruin someone's faith by arguing about it! You get the idea! Walk in love! We shouldn't be destroying people's faith- we should be building it up! Using our faith to destroy someone else's could be looked at as evil (v 16). We should be working at building up people's faith and belief (v 19). Paul concludes with the idea of keeping things in faith. If we are faithful and are committed to God, we should not condemn others or cause them to lose faith. We are not at liberty to cause others to stumble, to offend, or to weaken others. We need to unify. 

Short, but interesting chapter- again with a big ficus on dietary issues. Remember- the Jews had strict dietary laws, and the Gentiles essentially no dietary laws. As the Gentiles converted to Christianity- the Jews were quick to judge for their eating behaviors. Like I said earlier- it isn't so much about dietary laws for us in contemporary times, but we have our "things" that we are quick to judge about- that aren't really issues!

Paul spends some more time talking about being a good neighbor in the next chapter and then he turns to his work and his missionary travels. 

Enjoy the reading today and I hope you find it worthwhile.

Shalom+
Pastor Paul



13 comments:

  1. Well, I'm afraid I'm going to be a bit wordy today but I think this is a most interesting chapter. It seems to me that judging is mentioned so often because we all do it. I will admit right off the bat, that I am guilty!. My parents are/ were MOST judgmental. In giving judgement a lot of thought over the years, I think that there are different aspects to judgment and people judge for many reasons. One might be that they are worried that if they don't keep everyone in line with what "they know is right", that God will blame them for not trying. Another reason is that we struggle with the saying "I'm entitled to my own opinion". Some people like laws A LOT and it helps them to know what's right and what's wrong if they can point to another person as they decide.
    I think really, though, most people judge because of how they feel about themselves. I was thinking of what Pastor Paul said about the dietary laws of the Jews. What if you had to live without bacon but could smell your Gentile neighbor's breakfast? A funny thought but it points to a way you could feel superior to your neighbor. If you feel forced to live a certain way to receive salvation while you see other's doing things that you would like to be doing and these other folks think that they are saved as well, how would you feel? You would probably judge them harshly. About the goldfish crackers in church... I can imagine being that mother who says "I never let my children eat in church. My children were taught respect!! for church. And look at that!@! Crumbs on the floor and no one is cleaning them up."
    I just finished a book called The Sweet Taste of Muscadines (which are grapes, I found out). The book is fiction. It's about a dysfunctional family; a mom, dad and three grown children. The older two adult children live away from the younger sister and mother who live in the south. Dad was a Baptist preacher. The brother is gay and you can imagine what his growing up years were like in the South and in a southern Baptist family. At the end of the book the older sister wants to know how her brother is living such a happy life. I'd like to paraphrase what they say.
    "Henry always told me that I would never be happy till I managed to separate God from religion, and I always thought he was wrong. 'As I sat in my favorite pew I thought of a song that carried with it briefly bright flashes of clarity'. In those slices of light I knew that God was infinitely bigger that I had ever imagined, more mysterious and more kind. He was not to be held inside culture or traditions, nor could he ever be fully understood by a finite mind. This gifted me with a comfort that has never really left and from that moment. Now God is no longer relegated to the halls of a Baptist church. We need to listen to our own soul's voice." She says "Henry was right: living your own life with joy is a form of forgiveness."
    I agree. Maybe judging isn't as necessary if we are living our own relationship with God. I'm working on that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You make a great initial comment- we all do it!
      And second- in reference to your parents and others- are we condemned if we don't try to correct others? That's a great question. I try to model a good life (not always successful) and definitely judge others- but never to their face! It is usually a sly comment under my breath or to someone with me!
      Mmmmm....bacon! So glad I am a Gentile! But I see your point of the superiority feelings!
      You bring up a good point- salvation. Why do they get salvation and not have to follow the laws! That makes me mad!
      Re: goldfish- our grandson was here last two weekends ago. A few day after they left, I was doing some vacuuming, lifted a couch cushion, and found two half eaten goldfish! I snickered and thought about how "the church elders" would have thought of this (in light of our conversations)!
      I just added the book to my library list! I have so many to read!
      I agree with Henry- we have to separate God from church! I have some struggles with the church- too rule oriented, to hypocritical, to God-less at times. Relationship with God is so important and I think the church fails to foster that (at times). I am trying hard at LM to have my people develop relationships with God. It is hard! I agree with your last line...if we have a good relationship with God then we won't judge. Something we all can strive for!
      Great thoughts Cathy! Thanks!

      Delete
  2. Just my two cents on Friday's discussion. I think there is a huge difference between respect and accepting. I think that there is also a small minority of police officers, priests, teachers who abuse their power. However, I don't think we should accept it. If one child, adult, race is being abused by one or two members of persons in authority, then it needs to be made aware of and corrected - thinking that if it were my child, my race, me, I would want that very badly. And having these concerns made public is not, necessarily, disrespecting all of the persons in the group. Rather being made public is by peaceful demonstrations, actions made public in the media, or speeches. We fought a Revolutionary War just on that principal. We were founded on the principal. And because we do live in the greatest country o earth (I totally agree Jack) - we have made great changes in how people in authority treat others. Thank goodness teachers are not allowed to use capital punishment on our students today as they once were - not all - just the minority - but I am glad people took a stand and it was changed. As in all abuse don by those with more power.

    Sorry - back to today!

    In reading this chapter I can see why there are so many different denominations. We all show our belief a little differently and, I think, according to Paul, it's ok - as long as what we believe is in Jesus and God. But it is definitely NOT ok to judge others because they show their belief in a different way. In my Bible's commentary it says that "weak in faith" refers to Jewish Christians who were not yet clear on the status of OT regulations under the new covenant. Is that the same as to what you were referring to Pastor Paul?

    I agree, Cathy, I find myself judging. Sometimes I don't even realize I am until the thoughts form in my head that I have judged. I can only hope that my actions do not mirror my thoughts when that happens! I would hate to ruin someone's faith, turn someone away from God, or just disappoint God by doing so. Cathy, I liked your telling us about the verse in the book. My son and I were talking about beliefs yesterday at dinner. My son and his family are very strong in the Catholic faith. He told me that a Priest told him that the core of our faith is always the same - we believe in God, we believe that Jesus is the messiah/Son of God as foretold by the prophets, and that Jesus rose from the dead for ever lasting life, as we will. That makes us Christians, Everything outside of that circle does not make us change as Christians - if we believe in not eating meat on Friday during Lent, confessing our sins to a person or God, going to church on a different day then Sunday, the core is still the same.

    I have enjoyed these past few chapters!!! I hope everyone enjoyed the weekend and all you women had a great day yesterday!

    Poor Jerome - unless, of course, I am invited to the steak barbeque!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Donna, on your two cents; I think that most cops are good people, but that doesn't mean that the bad ones should be dismissed with an "aw, shucks." We should be working to rid the police force of the bad cops, as well as "purifying" (for lack of a better word) all professions. Also, are you sure that you meant "capital" punishment as opposed to "corporal" punishment. Capital punishment for your typical school day offenses seems a little harsh.

      Delete
    2. Hahahaha - Jack, you are so right - Capital punishment would be a bit harsh. Yes, corporal. Yes, your statement is exactly what I am saying - I respect all people in authority as a group, I will not accept all their actions.

      Delete
    3. Great opening comment about respect v acceptance- and I agree. It is the few that makes the whole look bad though. We do need to hold people accountable for their actions and responses.
      My most recent Course of Study class was on the Protestant Reformation. I really enjoyed the discussions we had about different denominations and their doctrine/ theology. But, like you say, Paul's comments are basically- do what you want (within reason) as long as Christ/ God/ HS are at the center focal point! We lose track of the trinity sometimes though- don't we? YEs, the "weak in faith" were those Jews that were wavering between Hebrew laws and the new covenant. They really weren't weak- they were questioning!
      Great discussion with your son- and he is saying what Paul is saying in this chapter. You want to work on the Sabbath- OK as long as God/Jesus/ HS are still central to your life. And nobody else should get upset at your decision as they don't know your beliefs. How many times have we (I) complained about having soccer practice- or whatever- on Sunday. "The kids can't make it to church!" Well, offer something else then! They may be going some other day!
      BBQ will be November 2022...mark the date!
      Thanks Donna!

      Delete
  3. About my Friday comment regarding police and BLM I didn't mean to imply that I agree that there is not police brutality, there certainly is. As Jack said there are rotten apple is the basket that certainly needs addressing by the powers that be.. However we do need our police and they should be respected as well as parent teachers, ministers and those in leadership. Enough said.

    today
    I think we all tend to judge others according to how we ae raised and the times we were raised in I was rised in the 40's and 50's so my thought on things are certainly very different than ny grandchildren who are being raised in the 50' OO's and 13's
    That's not to say that we are any of us right to be judgmental Jesus wants us to love one another and accept each other as we are.
    if my friend wants to eat sushi and because i don't like it or want to eat it I shouldn't say to him or her you can't eat sushi because i don't like it or eat it. I should say to him or her eat sushi if you want to and i will eat chicken Now we are getting along and enjoying each other.
    Which is what Jesus wants I believe
    Sometimes however it is hard not to be judgmental. I need to work on that I know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point Clara- we should be respecting people with authority. And I think we all agree that there is "corruption" in all parts of authority.
      I like your comment about being raised in different times! Our thoughts are different because our knowledge base is different. What we know now was different than what we knew then- and with that comes different outlooks and aspects of life. If we continue to look through our dated lenses, we may not be able to see what is around us.
      We all need to work on how we look at others and the comments we make!

      Delete
  4. We are talking a lot about judgemental...As we probably should. I think I said before I am really going to try hard going forward. One thing I know I have been trying to do is not speak so fast after someone has said something that I don't agree with. I am trying to process and think before I speak but I am Still struggling sometimes!
    I would like to comment on BLM. I feel so strongly about this movement and lbgtq rights. I will say I know several young men including a neighbor who are police officers and they are wonderful people. I also believe we have treated people of color with such disrespect for many years. When my son was young we were watching a program on civil rights that showed police officers spraying hoses into peaceful black protesters. My son said mom policemen wouldn't do that right? I was so sad.
    Pastor Paul I love the addition to your barn!
    Thanks Cathy for another book suggestion!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cindy, I agree with you that we have treated people of color very badly over the years. And I also believe that Dr. King did a tremendous amount of good to unite blacks and white and it was a genuine tragedy when he was assassinated. I stop short, however, when we broach the subject of reparations. How much money would it take to undo the damage done? Is money the proper reward? Suppose we paid reparations. How will that change attitudes toward people of color and, especially, their attitudes toward us. I can't help but think that this would make things worse. If doing nothing is not the correct answer, I am at a loss for a good solution. Attitudes must be changed.

      Delete
    2. Great "attitude" to wait and think before you say something. People are frightened by silence though- it is uncomfortable- we we tend to say things quickly! we all could use some "think time" in our responses!
      LGBTQ injustices are near and dear to me, and BLM and other ethnic injustices (Chinese and COVID, eg). It is hard to see any person being mistreated- and Jack- you're right- attitudes do need to change. One of my favorite pieces of scripture is Micah 6:8, "What does the Lord require of us but to seek justice, love mercy, and walk humbly with God." Basic, foundational.
      Thanks fro sharing Cindy

      Delete
  5. This chapter condemns being judgmental, as it should. I just cannot get over how wise a man Paul was. I wish I had a quarter of his wisdom. Who cares what the other guys eats? If I don't like it, I don't have to and I won't eat it. End of story.

    I thinks Clara said it best in that the times that we were raised had a lot to do with how we act as adults. I was raised in the 50 and early 60s. Are times different now! For the children of today who don't remember the riots are Kent State and the Democratic Convention, this may seem kike a traumatic time in our history. I hate to see it, but to me it is just a rerun of the late 60s and early 70s. What I see as a greater threat is the brainwashing of those young ones who do not remember the Soviet Union. But, now I am being judgmental. It is such an easy trap to fall into.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Paul is wise- but also remember he was the one killing Christians! Change is possible!
    History does repeat itself! The events may be slightly different, but it is the same thing over and over- so do humans learn? It doesn't look like it!
    Good thoughts Jack

    ReplyDelete

A Final Post

 Good morning. We did it! The entire New Testament in a year. that is quite a feat! Thank you all for your dedication and work. It wasn'...