Tuesday, May 11, 2021

Romans 15

 Good morning- lots of great discussion from yesterday! Thanks! Must have struck a chord with us! well, of course, we are good people- so judging others would be something we don't do- but we now people who do! (just kidding!). But, honestly, great thoughts and conversation! Thanks!

There is some irony in all of this though- Paul, in his former life, was harshly judging the Christians- to the point of death! We sometimes need to reflect on that and remember that change is possible with an intimate relationship with God/Jesus/ Holy Spirit. A comment that came up often from you all yesterday- "I need to try..." John Wesley was a huge proponent of "striving for perfection" with the caveat that we will never get there in our earthly life. Yes, continue to struggle and continue to strive for perfection. 

Paul begins this chapter with some great words (vv 1-2), "Help your neighbors". Hmmm...haven't we heard a similar statement before?! If we are string in faith, rather than call out and condemn and judge, help your neighbor gain strength. I know this goes against all of society where we are told "look out for #1- yourself" but Paul points out that helping others and lifting them up actually helps you and lifts you up too! A big role is edification of our neighbors- in a non-condescending way. This will help build their faith. It goes back to the story of the Ethiopian eunuch that I have mentioned a few times (and also from Paul's comments): "How can I know unless someone teaches me?"

Paul brings up Jesus as the prime example of this (vv 3-4), putting others first. Jesus' entire ministry was about lifting people up: the tax collectors, the prostitutes, the lepers, "them", "those people" were all central parts of Jesus' ministry. As Jesus did these things, he pointed directly at God and it was for the glory of God. What a model to strive for!

Paul's prayer (vv 5-6) is for the Romans to be patient (God doesn't always work on our terms) and encourage each other to become unified and work together. A simple yet profound prayer- that we may all work together- be unified- be one in Spirit. We are to look at each other, as different as we are, and find Christ in each person we see (v 7). Instead of seeing Gentile or Jew, servant or free, black or white, gay or straight, we should receive and accept others as Christ accepted us! Paul then quotes several scriptures from the Hebrew texts (vv 9-12) showing God's intentions of accepting the Gentiles. "Proof" for the Jews that the Gentiles were always part of the plan!

There is now a change in Paul's writing as he turns to himself and his reasons for writing the Romans. It is unusual for Paul to put these comments at the end of a letter; in many of his epistles, he usually starts with, "I am writing to you today to remind you of..." It seems like Paul is writing as agreement with much of what the Romans are doing (v 14), encouraging them to continue. He reminds the Romans that he (Paul) was called to be a preacher to the Gentiles (v 16) and that they were accepted by God. His calling was also not one of just preaching salvation, but also for instructing on how to be a good Christians and live a good life. 

My translation (New Century Version, NCV) uses the word "proud" in v 17, "So I am proud of what I have done..." Other translations use the word "glory", "I have reason to glory in Christ..." Being proud is one of those words that I sometimes struggle with. We are told to be humble, and I think Paul is saying he is humbled by the work he has done for the glory of God. His focus is on the Gentiles and he knows that he has probably done other good works, but isn't going to draw attention to them (v 18). We certainly now people that like to draw attention to the work they do...for their recognition. It is interesting that Paul added in "signs and miracles" (v 19); would the Gentiles have believed if Paul only preached? Did they need the signs and the miracles to help in their unbelief? His ministry reached from Jerusalem to Illyricum (modern day Yugoslavia area). Paul mentioned that he liked to go to new areas (v 20)- not that building on other's foundations was bad or wrong, but that there was so much work to do, why should he duplicate what's already been done.

Paul closes this chapter with a desire and plan to see Rome. His trip to Rome (v 22) was "hindered" or "stopped" because of his desire to preach to the new and open frontiers. The church was already established in Rome, and like he said in the last few verses, I don't want to duplicate others' work- there is so much to do. He does plan to visit Rome on his way to Spain though (v 24). Pal was likely planning to use Rome as a home base for his "westward expansion" as Antioch was his home base for the eastern portions of his missionary trips. Reminder- he did get to Rome, but not as a missionary, he was there as prisoner!

Paul is currently in Jerusalem dropping off a monetary donation from the churches in Macedonia and Greece (v 26). Paul comments that the Gentiles received so much spiritual guidance from the Jewish Christians in Jerusalem that they "owe" them, it was right for them to give the donation (v 27). Not sure if I agree that they "owed" them for helping, but I get what Paul is saying. 

Paul is sensing danger in Jerusalem (remember some of the warnings in Acts) and is asking for prayers (vv 30- 31). Paul is asking for a unified front of prayer. We have talked several times about how we feel when we know people are praying for us. We sometimes forget, but ministers need the prayers of their flocks! We need the spiritual help! Paul is determined to make it to Rome (v 32)!

I guess the prayers were answered. Paul does make it to Rome- although on defense of his life, not for preaching the Gospel (although that does happen!).

He ends the letter (v 33) with Amen! But then goes on with his greeting in the next chapter- again very odd for Paul!

Great chapter! I hope you like it. We will finish Romans tomorrow and then start Thessalonians on Thursday. I will post an introduction to Thessalonians tomorrow.

Enjoy the beautiful (but cool) sun-shine day!

Shalom+
Pastor Paul

 

10 comments:

  1. I get helping your neighbor through actions, maybe money, etc., but if we are to help our neighbors that we think are weak in their faith or we think are doing something wrong because they need to be edified, are we judging? So I looked up the definition of judge - "To form an opinion or conclusion". Now I am thinking that "judging" is not all bad. If you see a family in very poor clothing - maybe without a coat and it's winter - driving a very old car, I think it might be right to judge that family as being poor. You are forming a conclusion by the evidence you see. It might not be correct, but it isn't cruel either. So if we judge that someone might need some spiritual guidance and/or knowledge of the gospels, as Paul states, are we wrong? I am thinking no, we are not. Although, unless someone opens the conversation or I am in a group of people who are there specifically to discuss faith/religion, I am not the person to approach someone and begin. I wish I were.

    Yes, to receive each other as Christ received us - how great that would be! I think most faiths/denomination/Christians are unified in worship of God - likeminded - we just don't all do it the same - which I think is fine. I think we will always see race, color, sex - and I think it's ok - as long as we don't condemn or dislike someone because of their race, color, sex, etc. Someone will always look at me and see my distinguishing features. But I hope when they see my personality - the "inside" me - they will see Christian. As you say, Pastor, "look at each other, as different as we are, and find Christ in each person that we see."

    Since signs and miracles are part of ALL the disciples/apostles ministry, I am not sure anyone would have believed without them. Even what is written of Jesus' ministry includes lots of miracles.

    My translation in vs. 27 says "....if the Gentiles have been made partakers of their spiritual things, their duty is also to minister unto them in carnal things." - it makes a little more sense in what Paul was thinking - duty had a different/stronger meaning then.

    I like that Paul asks for prayers for his safety. It shows he doesn't think he is "above' that - everyone needs the prayers of others on their behalf. I know I definitely do!!!

    I am always sad to finish a book, but always excited to start another!

    Enjoy the day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm....interesting definition of "judge". To be honest- I never looked it up. We always put judging in a negative context- as in judge at a trial determining guilt. This does change it some- but if we do it in love as opposed to negatively criticize. I think helping someone "weak in faith" isn't judging- unless we are doing it to make us look better or make them feel lower.
      I wonder what our world would be of we could accept each other as Christ accepted us? I like your point- we should see color, race, ethnicity, gender, sexuality- all those things. But when we start to use those things we see as a way to trivialize or belittle someone- that's where the vision needs to stop. I think I used this before- "The one thing we all have in common is our diversity" (Winston Churchill). I wish we could add- the one thing we all have in common is a love of God.
      Good point- Paul had some visions of danger in Jerusalem (from Acts), and his asking for prayers did show he was a "regular guy" Some people may have assumed he had a higher or better connection to God and then didn't need the guidance/ prayers- but he did (and so do pastors. I think people think that we have a special connection are are not in need of prayers- we really do!).
      Good points Donna

      Delete
  2. Donna your comments about neighbors and making judgement is really an interesting take on the readings. I like that you took a positive approach. I think we can also look at it as being aware of someone needs. I also agree that we would be lying if we said we do not see each other's differences but we should be careful not to judge. Accept others as Christ excepted us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We should all try to put a positive spin on things!

      Delete
  3. Helping neighbors seems to be reversed for me now since my husband passed away my neighbors are very helpful to me . They are more like family and I think I may be more like an adopted Mom to them . Mostly i can help them with medical questions that they may have since i and a retired RN.
    Paul tells of how the Gentiles were part of God's by citing verses of scripture. Paul says God chose him to preach the Good news to the Gentiles but he also wants the j
    Jews to believe the Good news also.
    He tells of his plans to go to Spain and stop in Rome after he goes to Jerusalem to give a donation to the Christians there from believers from other churches.
    He ends this chapter with a prayer and wants prayers for himself also. Don't we all need prayers and to pray also?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What goes around comes around. I know we take care of people without the intention or expectation of "repayment" but that usually does happen. People really do appreciate people that are kind and caring and compassionate.
      We sure do all need prayers!
      Good thoughts CLara

      Delete
  4. I think that I have told you about my former neighbor and friend. She is 87 and we have been friends for many years. She now has heart failure and I am not taking it very well. When I last visited her she was looking very frail. I went home very sad, cried all the way home and for some time thereafter.
    In thinking about my friend, I realized that one thing she has done forever is send notes to people. She has done it for as long as I've known her and luckily I have saved many of mine. She sends notes to everyone she thinks needs one, thank yous for just about anything, get well notes, and so on. Her notes are not long and sometimes her handwriting is hard to read, but when I see a note from her in my mailbox it always make me feel happy. All the way home I kept thinking that I didn't want to lose her or forget her.
    The next day I got thinking about the notes. I decided that I would start writing note to people myself. So I have. Probably people will start getting notes from me and think I've gone over the edge. Not many people send handwritten notes these days.
    Yesterday when I got to the library the clerk told me that I had just missed someone I'll call Pat. She said that Pat had stopped to see me because it had been so long since she could come to the library. She came to tell me that it was her birthday!. So first thing this morning I sent Pat a note telling her that I was sorry that I missed her and wishing her a happy birthday. For me, this can be a way of loving your neighbor.
    I will stop here and say that there are people that I will not send nice notes to, at least right now. People that for one reason or another I struggle with. I need to ask God to help me to be kinder and to forgive but sometimes I feel justified and don't really want God to soften my heart. Every day I add more to my list of things I need to work on. Life is tough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathy- that is a great story and a great memory that you will always have. Sending a card with a handwritten note is so important for people. It means that you took time and effort to sit and craft something for someone else. I have a few people at LM that write short notes and cards to people and I know it brings cheer and joy to their day (on both parts).
      Very honest comment at the end about "hardened heart" I think we are all there now (or at some points). Life is tough- nobody ever said it was going to be easy! And, like you, my list continues to grow daily too!
      Find peace Cathy.

      Delete
  5. Cathy, I feel for you and the prospect of losing your friend. I think that your idea of writing notes as she did is wonderful and that is how you will keep your friend alive in the coming years. I, like you, have people that I would not sent notes to at the present time. In the spirit of Paul's writing in this chapter however, I think that we all, and that includes me, need to see people as Christ saw them, and not as I currently think about them.

    I went to a high school class reunion several years ago and when I arrived in my home town the night before, I learned that a classmate was going to be there who ridiculed me, made fun of me, etc. in school. I was a wreck and I wished I hadn't committed to go to the reunion. However, when I got there, this classmate was completely different. He was kind, friendly, and he didn't have a bad word to say about anybody. Needless to say, I enjoyed seeing him again and seeing all my classmates. It was a very pleasant experience and I was glad I went.

    I wasn't aware that Paul desired to visit Spain until I saw it in this chapter. I do know, however, that Paul was arrested when he returned to Jerusalem and he then went to Rome to be tried after requesting a Roman trial.

    The main idea that I got from this chapter was not to judge others, but to see them as Jesus saw them. As a human and a sinner, this will be impossible to do, but I feel that I must strive for this goal. One of the first things I was told when I started work at IBM is that the easy stuff we can do right away, but the impossible takes a little longer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sometimes, though, it is hard to see people as Christ sees them! Our vision of people is always tainted by things- and we can all work on clarifying that vision we have!
    Great story about your reunion. People can, and often times, do change for the better. They realize or somehow know how they have acted and do try to improve!
    Paul was all over the "entire world" back in the day!
    Great thoughts Jack- thanks!

    ReplyDelete

A Final Post

 Good morning. We did it! The entire New Testament in a year. that is quite a feat! Thank you all for your dedication and work. It wasn'...