Thursday, June 17, 2021

Matthew 3

 Good morning! What a beautiful (but slightly chilly) morning we are blessed with! I  love days like this! Life is going to be different for us for a few days...Lauren and family left to Myrtle Beach to see Chris' parents for a week or so...which means no kid (insert sad face). Our dog, Finn, has been going to their room the last several hours and looking around. I think he misses his buddy Joseph! Joseph was introduced to ginger snaps yesterday!

Thanks for the cookie, Grandpa!
Sherri and I are planning a week camping trip to Chenango Valley State Park with some friends next week- so lots of excitement! We have fun lives, don't we!!

Today's story starts with Matthew's discussion of John the Baptist. John, the son of Zachariah and Elizabeth, is cousin to Jesus (Mary and Elizabeth were related). John announces that people are to repent (v 2)- change their hearts and lives. It is more than just saying, "I'm sorry." John's message continues with the idea that he Messiah is near by (kingdom of God/heaven is at hand). Matthew uses words from Isaiah 40:3 to identify John as the prophet coming prior to the Messiah (v 3). I like the picture of "preparing a way", getting rid of all the pot-holes in our life, flattening out the hard hills, smoothing out those roads so that we can more easily approach Jesus. Jesus was the coming Messiah and John was the one getting people ready for Jesus' appearance to them. 

John's clothing (v 4) was patterned after the clothing of Elijah (2 Kings 1:8). Elijah was the bold prophet that called Israel to repentance; John does that for the new generations. Good Jews knew and remembered Elijah. Who is calling us to prepare today? Who is calling us to repentance? John's message had an impact throughout the world as evidenced by the numbers of people that came to be baptized (v 6). Baptism is not a new Christian ritual; the Jews (and other religions of the time) ritually practiced baptism- washing away of sins and growth into newness. The Jewish baptism custom was likely a sprinkling of water or gentle washing of the face; John's was a total immersion baptism. I really enjoy the baptismal covenant and I really love officiating baptisms. I usually shed some tears when I perform the ritual in my church. 

Matthew introduces us to the two high religious authorities of the day- Pharisees and Sadducees. These two groups were often in conflict with each other and they will be in conflict with Jesus throughout most of his ministry. The Pharisees and Sadducees came for baptism to "show" they were ready for the Messiah, but in their hearts, John knew they weren't really as they hadn't repented at all- it was all for show (vv 7-8). John cautions that just because they are descendants of Abraham doesn't make them worthy of salvation (v 9).

John continues to talk about Jesus and what Jesus is representing (v 11). Jesus' goal and mission is to pour out a Holy Spirit onto us all (from Ezekiel 37:14) and there will be judgement like fire. Fire is a powerful image that rids all the waste (also prophetic words used by Zechariah 13:9, Malachi 3:2). The Jewish leaders though the Messiah would come with judgement just for Israel's enemies, but John says here it is aimed at all people- Jew and non-Jew!

Jesus now begins his public ministry, about 30 years after his birth, when he is baptized by John (v 13).  Jesus comes on his own desire; we don't see or hear any peer pressure involved. Some theologians say he did it under pressure from Mary- everyone else is doing it, you should too! Regardless, John sees the irony of the situation (v 14); it seems as John is saying "I need your fire and Holy Spirit baptism, you don't need my water baptism." Jesus understood John's hesitation (v 15); the comment Jesus is making here is that he is identifying wit sinful people across the world. 

I love the imagery if the baptism of Jesus (vv 16-17). Every time I baptize someone, I get this image in my head and smile thinking God is happy. Many years ago, I did a day long presentation for some science people in the Buffalo area. My dad wanted to go with me to see what I did. After a morning of teaching and demonstrations, it was time for a break before we went on to the lab section of the day. My dad was talking with someone he knew that was in the group. I overheard dad say, "That's my son. He does good work, doesn't he." My heart warmed and I about burst into tears. That's how I imagine Jesus feeling when God's voice booms down saying " This is my Son, whom I love..." (v 17). I hope we have all heard words like these in our life. Every time I baptize someone, I hear God say those words to  the person receiving baptism!

The next chapter begins with Jesus' temptation and then the beginning of his active ministry in Galilee. I hope you have a great day. Talk more tomorrow!

Shalom+
Pastor Paul

12 comments:

  1. Since I did not reply to yesterday's reading - in Philly visiting daughter and family for a few days.

    Again, Matthew 2 seems to be the reader's digest. I don't think Matthew put a lot of importance on the birth of Jesus and what happened. Lots of miracles to come! However, in asking google if there was secular evidence of Herod and the "massacre" - I found a couple of things. First, that Herod killed many many people - very young to very old - even sons of his wife and then his wife for fear of them killing him first. And I found this passage which I copied:

    "These quotes help us understand that King Herod the Great was wicked. So we should not be surprised that a non-Christian wrote the following about Herod’s massacre of children under the age of two that is mentioned in Matthew 2:16. The non-Christian writer is Macrobius (A.D. 395-423). On hearing that the son of Herod, king of the Jews, had been slain when Herod ordered that all boys in Syria under the age of two to be killed, Augustus said, “It’s better to be Herod’s pig, than his son” (dicta 56 Malc.)

    So that is a bit of proof - seeing it was written some 300 years later and by a non-Christian.

    Plus - I am thinking - it probably wasn't as long as 2 years as Herod issued the order some time after Jesus was born - but not too long - when he realized the Wise Men were not coming back AND since he said UP TO 2 years but had no idea how old Jesus would be, he would have extended the age to make sure the order would include Jesus - if that makes sense. And it doesn't make sense - well, to me, that the star would appear as late as 2 years after Jesus was born - could be 6 months as that is what young child is back then!

    I love John and his interaction with Jesus. I wonder why the Pharisees and Sadducees went to be baptized - did they believe in more then one baptisim? I know we don't - although it is too bad that we don't again to refresh our desire to repent and change. I hope that God does look at me and say that He is well pleased.

    Have fun "camping"??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YEs- Herod was a productive king- doing lots of building projects but he also was very "murderous". I agree- there are some brief mentions that were written at a very late date about the murder of the innocents. I'm not saying that it didn't happen- just that is no solid proof either way. I wouldn't put it past Herod to do something like that!
      What you propose does make sense. Good thoughts!
      The Pharisees and Sadducees went to be baptized for "show". They didn't think they needed it, they were not necessarily in agreement that the Messiah was born and coming, they were the rulers of the temple and Jewish authority. They were doing it so others would follow them- they can't be that bad right?!
      The Jewish ritual of baptism could occur multiple times- each time you needed to wash away sins, it could be done. Unlike the Christian tradition- one and done. We only need to be absolved once through Christ.
      We do have a baptismal remembrance ritual/liturgy. We usually do it after Easter- but didn't this year as we weren't gathered together.
      Good thoughts Donna!

      Delete
  2. I Love that John was baptizing people as the repented but when the Pharisees and Sadducees came john knew that they had not repented and did not baptize them.
    When Jesus came to be baptized john recognized Jesus as the Messiah and told Jesus that he should not be baptizing Jesus but it should be the other way around Jesus told John that was what God wanted so John agreed and baptized Jesus.. The message from God as from the water was so great "This is my dearly loved Son. who brings me great joy"
    I wonder did all who were there hear these words from God? Matthew does not say Were the Pharisees and Sadducees still there to hear these words? and if so why did they not believe?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John know all about he Pharisees and Sadducees! They were a tricky bunch always trying to get the best for themselves
      Good question- did others hear God's words or did just Jesus? We don't have any evidence in the text- other than what Matthew said. It seems like there would have been a reaction from the crowd! Maybe there was a rush of wind (Holy Spirit) and in that wind were the words.
      Good thoughts Clara!

      Delete
  3. Joseph looks a little tired Grandpa, are you tiring him out?? I thought it was joseph that was tiring Grandpa out! Nevertheless what a sweet little boy!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He just woke up from nap and wanted a cookie- of course Grandpa complied! We are both tiring each other out- he naps- I work while he naps!

      Delete
  4. I always love the description of John the Baptist in Matthew. It sounds like he looked like a wild man. Can you imagine seeking out someone who looked like that because you want to confess your sins to him? And then letting him dunk you under water in a river? Not me!
    I was wondering why Jesus began his ministry at age 30. Does it seem strange to anyone else that he only had a 3 1/2 yr ministry. I wonder what he did all through his twenties. I looked up why Jesus didn't start his ministry until he was 30. This is what it says: "They were after him to find fault with him; so it was a must for Jesus to obey all the instructions of Moses and remain blameless in the eyes of Jerusalem church authority. This was the reason that Jesus waited to reach 30 to start his ministry." (Not sure if this source is sound).
    I like vs. 16 :As soon as Jesus was baptized, he went out of the water. At that moment heaven was opened and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and lighting on him. And a voice from heaven said "This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased." So powerful and beautiful. I think that God does speak to all of us if we're listening. We may just get a thought that helps us solve a problem or maybe have the feeling that things are working out after all. Listening isn't a skill that most people are good at. Seems like most people would rather talk! Becoming a good listener can mean being still and thinking about what is being said- either by another person or by God.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point about John- I'm not too sure if I'd trust a crazy wild man to baptize me!
      We don't have any Gospel accounts of Jesus' early ministry. There are some non-cannonical accounts of things that Jesus did as a younger person. They are quite interesting! I will have to do some research about him starting at 30. Good question.
      Listening is a lost art! Listening to God is even a greater lost art!
      Good comments Cathy!

      Delete
  5. John the Baptist sounds like an interesting character - he lives by the Jordan River and eats bugs and wild honey. How does anybody survive with that kind of a diet? He knew that the Messiah was coning, however. How did he know? Did he have Isaiah's writing? If so, could he read? I am under the impression that not too many people could read in those days and all that was written was on parchment and hand written. The printing press was a few centuries away at that time. Did John know of Isaiah's teaching? Did he hear it through the "grapevine"?

    I am aware that very little is known about Jesus before age 30 when he was baptized by John the Baptist and began His ministry. The folklore all says that He was a carpenter. Is there any documentation to support this? I was not aware that He was shamed into getting baptized, maybe by his mother. This sounds a little far-fetched to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure John was well versed in te Hebrew scriptures, and he was cousin to Jesus, so he may have had some inside information! I am sure John's mother was good at teaching John. If we remember from Luke's story- when Mary went to visit Elizabeth when she (Elizabeth) was 6 months pregnant, the baby lept for joy in her womb. Elizabeth knew something was up!
      There is no real evidence of Jesus being carpenter other than we know Joseph was and sons tend to follow the occupation of their father. Mary was involved in his education- as were all the moms in the Jewish household.
      There is a thought that he was peer pressured by Mary to be baptized- but that is just a theory. I'm not too confident of that either- but in reality- did he need to be baptized?
      Good questions and thoughts!

      Delete
  6. I hope you enjoy your camping trip. Joseph will return soon and then life will be upside down again! Grandchildren are great! We can spoil them rotten and then give them back to mommy and daddy. But we always have a smile on our faces.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't smiled so much in my entire life as I have these last few weeks!

    ReplyDelete

A Final Post

 Good morning. We did it! The entire New Testament in a year. that is quite a feat! Thank you all for your dedication and work. It wasn'...