Wednesday, July 21, 2021

Matthew 20

Good day yesterday- and at least the rain held off until the evening! I was getting worried- our lawn was getting dry! I tried to do some weeding in the big garden yesterday and was pulling up lots of soil with the weeds- so I guess I need to wait until it dries out some more. We certainly have had our share of rain this summer- and the storms have been quite intense!

Jesus begins this chapter with a parable- it seems to be an extension of the response to the question had ion the previous chapter, "We have followed you- what do we get?" Many of Jesus' parable are about employees and employers- this one is no different. The story is about finding workers to work in the vineyard. The employer finds some early in the morning, some later, and some even later. The vineyard owner seemed to have an inexhaustible amount of work to do as he kept going back to the town square for more people. He told the people hired first they would receive a denarius for their work- a fair rate.  The others workers were told they would get "whatever was right" for their salary. At the end of the day though, they all get the same pay- a denarius. The ones hired first were upset that they didn't get more than the people hired at the end. Jealousy rears its ugly head! Did they have the right to be angry? Do we have the right to feel angry when people get something we don't think they deserve? "Those who are in last place shall have the first place in the future and those that are first now shall be last." (v 16) God may not reward as people expect- and it is God's prerogative to "reward" as God sees fit. Some people come to God early in life, some later, and some later still. We are all rewarded the same kingdom though! Should we be upset at that? Does it seem fair? The essence of God's grace is that we are all equal! We may look at some people and think they are not worthy of God's grace- but are we either? The "fault" I see is that it seems like we are "paid" for the work we do- God's grace doesn't require actions! Faith before works is what Paul taught us! Agree or disagree?

Jesus then takes his disciples to Jerusalem (v 17)- not too surprising as it was approaching the time of Passover. Jesus then tells them (again) that the Son of Man will be betrayed and condemned and crucified and will then be resurrected (vv 17- 19). The blame falls on both the Jews (Pharisees and Sadducees) and the gentiles.  No response from the disciples- that Matthew tells us. How would we have responded? Is there and appropriate response to this story from Jesus?

The mother of James and John was a regular traveler with the group. Her request would make her a proud mama and the sons very prestigious! Can they drink of the same cup as Jesus- YEs! is the immediate response (too immediate, they obviously didn't understand what Jesus was talking about). What would we say if Jesus asked us if we could drink of the same cup? James was the first disciple to be martyred; John survived martyrdom- although not for lack of trying! Jesus submits to God's wisdom and doesn't offer them anything (v 23). The conversation must have been somewhat private since the other disciples are furious (v 24)! They must have assumed there was some position of fame offered to James and John. Jesus sets them straight and says that you are all equal and humble and servant to all (vv 25- 28). Do you believe that we are all equal?

As they leave Jericho (v 29- 30), two blind beggars call out "Lord, Son of David..." They knew about Jesus and were asking for help. They gave Jesus his full accolades- all he was worth. Jesus asks the most simple question that God continues to ask us, "What do you want?" How do you answer that? Even though God knows, God wants us to know what we want! The crowd tries to quiet the men. Who do we try to quiet when Jesus passes through? They are healed and the immediately follow. How many really do that- follow Jesus immediately after they are healed? Have you been healed?

This was a great chapter with lots of good words. I hope you liked it!

Shalom+
Pastor Paul


8 comments:

  1. Good Morning! Thunder was so loud last night it woke me from a sound sleep and I couldn't get back to sleep until it stopped!! Seemed to be right over us. Have been reading even though I did not comment on Monday and just commented on yesterday's! My oldest granddaughter is visiting this week!

    The parables that Jesus has been telling in the last few chapters are so familiar and I do understand his point about paying the laborers and I sincerely believe we are all equal when it come to God's reward of eternal life and heaven, but what does vs. 16 mean - "So the last shall be first and the first last for many will be called but few chosen." Again it seems like Jesus (and later Paul) are saying not all will be chosen? I also feel that God/Jesus requires faith, not action, to be saved. But as said in James - faith without works is dead. Being a "proud mama", I totally understand where John and James' mother is coming from. I wonder if she were alive when James was crucified and what her feelings were then. I know I cannot drink of the same cup or be baptized in the same way. I wish I could say yes, but I really don't think so!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The storms have been amazing! I love standing on the porch watching the lightening!
      "The last shall be first" refers to the Gentiles eventually being chosen while the Jews reject the message of Jesus "the first shall be last"
      "Many called...few chosen" can be interpreted as many will hear ("called") the message (Gentiles and Jews) yet only few will actually listen to obey ("be called").
      Another interpretation is that many will come to the kingdom (be laborers in the field) yet only a few will be chosen to be "upper level" with a specific skill set (administration, preaching, etc...)
      We have said many times- faith is what God looks for. The premise is that if you have the faith, the actions will follow. Actions doesn't make a Christian, faith does. We had quite a lively discussion about this at lectionary group last week!
      We all have those proud parent moments and want the best for our kids. I think she was alive and a witness to their executions. Can you imagine? I can't even begin! And what about Jesus' mother Mary?!
      Great thoughts Donna. Thanks!

      Delete
  2. There is so much in life that is unfair and yet maybe a lot of that is our perspective of what we consider fair. We may have to examine our thoughts. It does seem that some people have very unfortunate lives while others are children of rich and affluent parents and have opportunities that they wouldn't have had otherwise. And what about genetics? Many illnesses (Physical and mental) can come to us through our genes and there is nothing that we can do about it. I guess if you are a person who is afflicted with something you would be glad that God sees everyone as equal and doesn't just favor those who are well and healthy and can work harder and think about their faith.
    I saw a Facebook post that has disturbed me very much. I never knew about Kensington Avenue in Philadelphia. This an area of Philadelphia riddled with drug users. In the post it is called an "open air narcotics market". The pictures are so painful to look at. One person commented that there is an area like this in every major city and I'm sure that's true. These people, I'm sure, are living a hellish existence. How could they be focusing on their faith? Are they "equal" in God's eyes to people who do not live this way?
    I certainly have no answers and I'm glad that God is so mighty that He can sort out all this. I think that God knows how hard life is and that in our humanity we all have some degree of selfishness, entitlement, jealousy, fear, etc. Many cannot follow Jesus and be healed.
    Sorry about the downer post. I think all the rain is getting to me and yet even saying this I know I have so many blessings. God is good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use the word "fair" often- and then I think- what's fair for me might not be fair for you!
      We see those "unfairnesses" but how does God see them? Does God see them? We see people at face value, yet God sees the heart- God has a definite advantage over us finding good in people.
      We had a great discussion yesterday at Lectionary group. We were discussing John 6:24-35 where Jesus says "I am the bread of life" and we were talking about how can we get that "bread" to others. Needs/ wants. Are they seeking? We have to solve the hurts before we can work on the faith and bread of life. How can the church do that? How can we do that here in Apalachin/ Little Meadows?
      God is good- but there are things that prevent people from seeing God's goodness. What can we do to stop that vision of goodness from being impacted? People need the bread to survive. How do we get it to them?
      Cathy- I think we all have similar feelings! Rain is good...but!!
      Thanks for the thoughts!

      Delete
  3. I have never liked thunder storms, have always been afraid of lightening not so much the thunder as it's just a loud noise. after I was divorced it was the hardest thing for me not to show fear (when one happened) to my kids as i didn't want to make them afraid. Now with hearing loss i hardly know at night with no hearing aides in when one is happening. So I guess God gave me a blessing with that happening.

    It's hard to not be jealous of what others have if you think they have more than you do. I know that have been times when i was so jealous of my sister especially when I was young as it seemed to me that my Mom did more for her than she did for me and it took some years for me to get over that jealousy. Now I realize I am quite blessed with what I have and what God has provided for me.
    I don't quite understand the vs 16 about first and last either, Donna?? The meaning eludes me altogether.
    Jesus predicts is death but the disciples still do not understand and i am sure if i had been there with them at that time i would not have understood it either. James and John's mother askes jesus for a favor as parents want what's is best for their children we tend to want more for our kids that we had I know that is how I always felt about my kids. Not knowing what the bitter cup was they agreed to drink from that cup. I don't believe if they had known what the bitter cup was, they would not have agreed .
    The beggars Jesus healed had "blind faith" that Jesus would heal them and after being healed they followed him. Oh to have such faith as to believe and follow.
    We have faith but not enough to always follow . Faith is not always strong enough.
    Where is our mustard seed?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess the hearing loss is a good thing! Sherri would disagree that my slight loss is a good thing!!
      Jealousy is an ugly monster! How do we defeat that monster? Why is it there? Ugh! People!!
      [copied from my reply to Donna re: v 16] "The last shall be first" refers to the Gentiles eventually being chosen while the Jews reject the message of Jesus "the first shall be last"
      "Many called...few chosen" can be interpreted as many will hear ("called") the message (Gentiles and Jews) yet only few will actually listen to obey ("be called").
      Another interpretation is that many will come to the kingdom (be laborers in the field) yet only a few will be chosen to be "upper level" with a specific skill set (administration, preaching, etc...)
      We all want the best for our kids- don't we...and we ache when they ache, we are happy when they are happy. And I am now seeing the same feelings for grandkids!
      I don't know if I could drink from that cup!
      "Blind faith" great- I never looked at it that way!
      I like the question- where is our mustard seed!
      Great thoughts Clara!

      Delete
  4. I have to say that I would have been annoyed if the people who put in one or two hours got the same pay as I did, if I worked the entire day. However, when you state, pastor, that the people who come to God early in life received the same rewards as those who come to God later in life, that puts an entirely different spin on it. I have to say, however, that I think that the parable is a little unfair.

    Clara, you make a good point - one that I had not thought of. The blind men had to have faith that Jesus would heal them, or they would not have regained their sight. If the people whom Jesus cured had no faith of their own, Jesus's work would have gone for naught.

    We had some thunder today here in the Wild West. It didn't amount to a thing. It has been very dry here. In fact, most of Montana is in some kind of a drought, in some cases, extreme. I have seen photos of flooding that you are experiencing, and I pray that you don't have a hurricane or tropical moisture anywhere in the East, or I am afraid you will be in deep yogurt. In all the photos, everything is so green there. Everything is brown here, except our lawns where we use sprinklers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What's fair for one isn't always fair for another! But I hear you- I would definitely be upset of someone got more than I did for the same work! But in the context of God's kingdom- I am glad the late comers (me) get the same as the long haulers!
    Blind faith! We need that!
    So much rain! And we are not even really into hurricane season yet! It could be a bad fall!
    Thanks for the comments Jack!

    ReplyDelete

A Final Post

 Good morning. We did it! The entire New Testament in a year. that is quite a feat! Thank you all for your dedication and work. It wasn'...