Tuesday, August 17, 2021

1 Corinthians 9

 Good morning! It is such a nice sound to wake up to a gentle rain on the roof! Today is going to be a good day! Our first night of VBS was last night and we had a great time. I have a very dedicated and faithful flock that I work for and they all did a great job with the kids! 

This chapter is an interesting one. Paul seems to be defending himself in the words that he writes. People were doubting Paul and Paul's authority, and so he takes this time to outline exactly who he is. Strange place to put these words, but here they are!

Paul begins with three simple but powerful statements: I am an apostle! I am free! I saw Jesus! Paul tells of his "authority" through the fact that he is an apostle and follows nobody or nothing except Christ. He has no commitments to anyone of anything other than God. He also states that he saw Jesus; many people doubted and thought that it was only a vision, but here Paul says it was a real event- in the flesh. His work for God is evidenced in the way that he Corinthian church has started and developed. They are the people they are because of his (and God's) work in them. Surely, this is proof enough!

Paul now goes on the defensive. Paul begins with "we have the right to eat and drink" (v 4). Of course he and the other apostles do! However, Paul was saying that they have the right to do this at the expense of the churches they visit. These words seem different that what Christ taught us (and even what Paul has said a few times), that we should not burden people with our wants and needs when we are evangelizing. Pal continues with "bringing a Christian wife" (v 5). Again, the belief is that saying that the churches they  are visiting should support the entire family that is visiting- not just the apostle. Paul then says that many of the apostles are married and their wives should come along with them. Interesting note, Paul mentions Peter being married. The Roman Catholic tradition has him as the first pope- so what about the celibacy requirement? Then Paul says that, in fact, only he and Barnabas have jobs and support themselves (v 6). The strange thing is, the churches desired to fund the visitors, and this fact (that they had outside jobs) made the Corinthian people uneasy! It is like the Corinthians were saying, "If Paul and Barnabas were real apostles, they would allow us to support them!"

The church supporting the apostles takes a big chunk of text (v 7). Paul defends the concept of churches supporting the apostles. Churches do support their pastors now. Many, especially in the UMC tradition, do have second jobs to help in their own support (the UMC has many part-time clergy, especially in thus area). Paul pulls out all the stops when he brings in Mosaic law (v 9). The text from Deuteronomy 25:4 is about the humane treatment of animals, but also the broader application is for the way we treat people (slaves at that time). Those that are preparing the food should get some of the harvest bounty (v 10). I wonder if "profit sharing" Plans in large corporations began as a result of this?

If Paul (and Barnabas) planted the spiritual seeds in the city of Corinth and they started the church, shouldn't they also reap some of the benefits (v 11)? They have the right to be supported by the church, because without them (the apostles) there would be no church! Paul does add in a caveat, that if the church is struggling (spiritually, financially) then they shouldn't rely on them for support (v 12). Contrary to all that he says, Paul defends his right not to rely on the church. We see Paul's true heart here. Paid or unpaid, it didn't matter. Paul's mission and goal was the spread of the Gospel. Are pastors today like that- paid or unpaid, the goal is the Gospel?

All of these statements actually comes back to the meat in the temples. If Paul is willing to deny himself the right to salary from the church for the good of the Gospel, then people should deny themselves the "right" to the meat that was offered in the temple (v 13). Big stretch maybe? Paul's closing argument in this set of lines comes with a command from God, "If people are going to work for the Good News, then they should get their pay from it also" (v 14). They are not exact words from Jesus, but the nearest statements Jesus made are found in Matthew 10:10 and Luke 10:8.

Paul tries to sum everything up with, "I have the right to be paid by the church, but I am not taking that right" (v 15). Paul wasn't boasting about his preaching the Gospel, his boasting was that he did it without expense to the church (v 16). His work was something that he was called to do; it wasn't a "job", it was a "career". He felt compelled to teach and preach the Gospel. To be honest- in my career at Little Meadows, I get so much out of teaching and preaching, that in itself is fulfilling enough! Pastors (generally) are in it for the "ultimate" reward, not the immediate reward of money and benefits! Like teaching, we are not in it for the money!

Paul was free to do whatever he wanted, yet he took his freedom to bring people to Christ (v 19).  He could have made more money and fame by continuing to persecute the Christians for Rome. However, his conversion experience told him differently! Paul sought to win people for God by being sensitive to their needs and identifying with them (vv 20-23). He became like the Jews when he talked with the Jews; he became like the Gentiles when he talked with he Gentiles. Do we identify with the people that we are trying to win to Christ? Do we meet people where they are now? Paul didn't change the words or the doctrine, but he changed his mode or style of presentation. Does clergy do  that now?

To close out this chapter, Paul uses an analogy of an athlete (vv 24-27). Sporting events were huge in Paul's time (as they are now!) and especially in Corinth. The city was home to the Isthmian games- second only to the Olympics. When we prepare for God's work, it is like an athlete preparing and training for a competition. We want to win and winning takes preparation! Our entire focus should be God and God's work; the only way to win is to train hard and train often. I sometimes feel like that. Some of my weeks when I am prepping for Sunday worship are like intense training weeks! Do you train like an athlete for God? (This will preach some day!)

I hope you have a good day and I hope that Paul's words are relevant to our lives today!

Shalom+
Pastor Paul

 

10 comments:

  1. I didn't feel I had anything to add to Yesterdays reading. I try to always do the readings but sometimes I don't add a comment. I always enjoy reading others comments though. For those being paid to spread the gospel. As with any job I'm sure there are those out there that are being over paid and those who are very underpaid. My guess is those who are under paid are the ones making the bigger impact on our world. A neighbor just stopped over who is very nice but was talking doom and gloom. I know there are terrible things happening in this world but I believe we all who are fortunate have to do what we can to help. It doesn't have to be a big thing. We can all make a difference.
    Do I train like an athlete for god. No I'm sure I do not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoy all the comments people make! And I sometimes wonder what to say about some of the readings!
      I had a good discussion about salary and "impact" with someone recently- and I agree with your statement. The lower paid people are probably making more of an impact on others!
      I definitely do not trainlike an athlete!
      Thanks Cindy!

      Delete
  2. Paul tells why he is and apostle for God but also says that as an apostle they shouod be "paid by the church for his misistry. However he works and does not expect payment for his ministry as he is doingit for the glory of God and he actually likes what he does. Ministers are now paid for leading their church probably not enough but it is expected now. Unless the mnister has another job he would not be able to support himself and his family it is not wrong to do this

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Clergy salary is always a hot topic- you should see conference discussions about salary!
      Paul's statement, like you say, as long as I am doing work for God- that is enough pay!
      Thanks CLara!

      Delete
  3. I could believe that a lot of people are underpaid for the work that they do. How could we ever pay people enough who are caring for Sick Covid patients? I’ve heard it said that if you love what you do you’ll never work a day in your life. But, people have to pay bills too.
    I have had a crazy busy week already and it’s only Tuesday. I hope to learn how to slow down and enjoy life a bit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have said many times (for both my educator position and clergy position) I am not in it for the money!
      And health care workers are so underpaid! I agree!
      We are halfway through the week!
      Keep positive!
      Thanks Cathy!

      Delete
  4. I feel that Paul is defending himself and explaining to the Corinthians why he IS an apostle - that he has the power to eat and drink (although he will not eat meat used in a sacrifice as explained in the past chapter), that he has the power to marry (but isn't), and that he - having seen Jesus and is a REAL apostle, has the right to take money and other support from the church (although he goes to great lengths to defend those that do). I think Paul does a good job explaining himself and his actions and still is an apostle. After all, everyone who works some sort of benefit. I liked Paul's message in vs. 20-23. Something I think we all should do when speaking to other people - a little more empathy? And v. 26 and 27? I think Paul feels he must serve the Lord and battle against sin. If he fails in this , I think Paul feels he may be excluded from the reward.

    I wish we were privy to the letter the Corinthians wrote to Paul.

    Cathy, I hop the rest of your week goes better for you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You make some good comments Donna. Thanks! And I too wish we could see the letter/questions that Paul was responding to!
      I am sure Paul was questioned in all places he went. After all, there were many false prophets and what is to say he wasn't one of them!
      Empathy is something I need to work on!
      Thanks for the thoughts Donna!

      Delete
  5. First of all, thank you, pastor, for clearing up the issues I had with Chapter 8. It is much clearer to me now. This chapter seems to start out on the same tone as Chapter 8, but the explanation in the pastor's notes along with the comments above makes it all much clearer to me.

    I think that it is necessary that people (i.e., pastors) are paid for the work they do in spreading the Good News of the gospels. Pastors, like the rest of us, have bills to pay and, thus, need the money. I think that Paul feels he has to justify his existence to his "flocks." It is not like today, where people are ordained to be elders in the church, or are licensed to be local pastors to meet a specific need. Today's pastors have pieces of paper that identify them to their churches so that they do not have to justify who they are and why they should be paid. Paul should have been paid, too, since he had to live and eat like the rest of us. It is not clear to me if he was actually paid be by the Corinthian church or not.

    Do I train like an athlete for God. I don't think that I do. I base my faith on the belief that the earth, solar system and the heavens did not happen all by themselves. There is a Supreme Being that made all this happen and that Being is God. I believe in the story of Genesis and I believe in the Trinity. I believe that there are things that we are not entitled to know and that are beyond what the human brain can understand. I pray that someday, after my death, that I will learn the "answers" to the questions I have about this life and why certain things have happened to me on my journey through life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just doing my job, Jack!
    Good point- back in the day the people didn't carry credentials that said they had the "right" to preach/teach! I never really thought of it that way!
    Paul was not paid by the church- and that was the big issue. They felt he wasn't a real apostle since he didn't rely on the church! That was one of the big reasons why he wrote this section.
    I am definitely not an athlete! And I always have questions. My science mind, like yours, makes some things just so hard to understand and believe!
    Thanks for sharing Jack!

    ReplyDelete

A Final Post

 Good morning. We did it! The entire New Testament in a year. that is quite a feat! Thank you all for your dedication and work. It wasn'...