Friday, August 27, 2021

2 Corinthians 1

 What a busy day already- and its only 1030AM!! Kids are beginning to pack things up. They will be leaving Sunday for the entire week- Lauren has on-site in-service the whole week, so they will be staying with friends. The house will be quite then! They make their final move to Balston Spa on Tuesday, Sept 7. I am going to miss them- and the kid especially. We have a morning routine now. I always have coffee when I get up. Now Joseph sits with me and has "coffee" (whole milk with some vanilla and cinnamon added and then heated slightly), We sit at the table and look outside at all the birds and squirrels. We have so much fun!

Paul begins this letter with a typical greeting- but adds "by God's will" I am an apostle (v 1). Paul was held in low regard with the Corinthians, and he needed to remind them of his calling! Note he is also with Timothy here. Remember- the church in Corinth was planted in early 50AD; 1 Corinthians was written maybe 54- 56 AD; 2 Corinthians was written a few years after (56-58AD).

Paul opens the letter by praising God who has shown mercy and grace to Paul. We get the feeling through these words that Paul has truly experienced the love and grace of God. Paul uses the word "comfort"; in the original Greek, the word was "paraklesis" which has the idea of strengthening, helping, or making string. It is more than "soothing" One "purpose" of God is to comfort (strengthen) us so that we can in turn comfort (strengthen) others (vv 4-6). How do we "comfort" people in the Greek meaning? Paul mentions the suffering he has endured and seen at the expense of other Christians and that these sufferings strengthen him in his mission (vv 6-7). Are we strengthened when we see suffering of others?

Paul then begins to talk about the troubles he experienced in Asia. We don't know the exact troubles he had, but obviously (?) some type of persecution. There are some indications through other historical accounts of severe beatings he may have encountered, an encounter with "wild beasts", or a flare-up of some physical issue he had. Whatever it was, it seems like Paul was ready for death at any moment (vv 8- 9). Paul put his entire trust and hope in God (vv 9- 10) and seems to have been saved form whatever was troubling him. He asks the Corinthians (even the Corinthians!) for intercessory prayer (we have mentioned many times about the power of prayer from others).

Paul then seems to begin boasting about his mission and ministry. The Corinthians had become cynical in their dealings with "ministers" and they didn't really trust any of the travelling missionaries- they had been burned too many times. Paul deals with this cynicism by telling them exactly who he is and what he stands for and the good work that he has done. How cynical are we in religious circles? Paul essentially says he is honest and there are no hidden meanings in his words, there is no ulterior motive in his ministry other than teaching about God. 

One point that upset and caused mistrust in the Corinthians is that Paul was supposed to visit them earlier in his ministry. To "please" them, Paul made changes to his trip and stopped both before going to Macedonia and then on his way back; they were to get two visits when they were only to get one (vv 15- 16). However, we see this will change later; apparently his first visit was too awful and he decided not to visit the second time!

God is faithful though (v 18); and so was Paul- for him yes means yes and no means no (v 18). God is tat way; Jesus is that way. When God says yes- God means yes; when God says no- God means no! Simple as that (I really don't get what Paul is saying in vv 18-20, help me if you can!)

Paul insists that he didn't come for a second trip so that they could be spared persecution (vv 23-24). My guess is that the no-Christians (Romans et al.) were having issues with the church and the Christians, so they were beginning to beat and persecute the Christians (just a guess?).

Tough chapter to begin with. Easy to understand the first half, but the second half I struggled! Sorry!

Maybe with a second reading this weekend I can figure out more!

Have a good weekend and find peace!

Shalom+
Pastor Paul


12 comments:

  1. Paul begins this letter in his usual way. May God give peace and grace, and who the letter is from. He says God gives comfort to those that rely on Him. Paul does say that he had some trouble but was able to endure by relying on God. I'm wondering if Paul was feeling some of the distress he brought to others when he was persecuting the Christians? Paul seems to be defending himself when he said he was going to visit the church but changed his mind When he says that when God says yes He means yes etc. and that Paul is like God the when he says yes he means yes also. This part is hard for me to understand.. there are times in our lives when we tell someone that we are going to do something but we never do it. That is our human failings, whether we mean to do it or not why do we say we will and not do it. I know I have been guilty of this at times and do strive to do better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great question- I wonder if Paul did "remember" how he persecuted the Christians and now knows how they felt?
      The yes- no part is hard for me too- I still haven't figured it out!
      Maybe it is for us to mean yes when we say yes and doo it!
      Thanks Clara!

      Delete
  2. I loved the first part of this chapter - reminding us that as we have suffered so should we help those that are suffering. A good reminder! Poor Paul, everywhere he goes he faces conflict, cruel treatment, and slander. I can't imagine how defeated he must be feeling at this point. Even the Christians in Corinth are beginning to wonder - as shown in 1 Corinthians. Every move he makes is now interpreted as being different then what Paul says he is - sort of talking the talk but not walking the walk - and he has to defend himself all the time. Now Paul's opponents are saying that because he did not return to Corinth after Macedonia he was a liar - saying yes and no at the same time - and not to be trusted. I think in vs. 18-20 Paul is saying that when he (and others with him) said that God was true (18) and that all promises by God was yes (20) they were not saying yes and no then either. He was not saying yes and no about returning to them and he was not saying yes and no when he preached about God. His opponents were saying (in my words) - "See, Paul said he was returning but didn't, so everything he said about God and Jesus was also a lie." - the yes and no part - or speaking out of both sides of his mouth. Paul wanted them to know that he wasn't lying about returning to Corinth OR about God and his promises. In First Corinthians, the Corinthians were having a problem believing that the dead would be resurrected. They seemed to be having a problem with their Faith. Does this make sense? HA - in my head it does. I wonder if what Paul was thinking (vs. 23) was that since he was treated so badly in Asia he would be bringing it upon all Christians, not just him, if he returned to Corinth at that time. I think it was not just Romans that were having a problem with the church and Christians in Corinth - I think it was the Christians themselves that were having a problem with Paul and what he said. After all, the letter was written to the Christians in response to THEIR actions and what THEY had said -yes? Like you, Clara, I sometimes struggle to always do what I say I am going to - a definite human failing - I want to at the time I say it - but life gets in the way! Enjoy your weekend, Paul.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has to be tough for Paul to face all the tough treatment- I am surer there were many good times too though!
      Ahhh good point about Paul "telling the truth"! Thanks! I get the "speaking out of both sides of you mouth" thing now. That does make sense...thanks!
      Rome was not the only group persecuting the new Christians, I am sure they were the largest group, but the faithful Jews were involved, the non-Christian gentiles I'm sure where there too. After all- the new Christians were different- and we know how we feel about people that are different!
      Good points and good work! Thanks!

      Delete
  3. Paul has encountered some event which may have gone badly for him and he has feared for his life. We have just received the NIV Quest Study Bible which has sidebars with questions, possible answers and explanations. One sidebar suggests that Paul may be referring to the mob violence which he experienced in Ephesus. It goes on to say that Paul comes back to this subject in 2 Corinthians Chapter 11 vs. 23 to 29. We will have to look for some explanation there.

    As for his change of plans for not visiting the Corinthian Church, in another sidebar, it explains that Paul's first visit to Corinth was painful for both him and the Church. He, thus, wrote a critical letter which, I guess, wasn't very well received so his approval was down and some of his opponents in the Church decided that he (Paul) could not be trusted. A visit to Corinth would probably spark more tension in the church

    The sidebars do not address vs 18-20 per se, but it does mention taking all God's promises as our own. It concludes by stating that what Paul was saying was that "Jesus is the reason for and the conclusion of all God's promises." I hope this helps, but it didn't do much for me.

    It must hurt for you to see your family leave. I know it does for me when we all get together. I know you will miss Joseph. He is at a precious age now, and, as I have seen with my oldest grandchild, Madeline, is that they change as they get older and start school. I would like to have the younger Madeline back, but I knew this would happen and she is forever changed and this is only the beginning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jack, thanks so much for your "sidebars" - they helped a LOT!

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the info Jack- it helps! Sometimes Paul's writing is so confusing!
      It was tough seeing them go- they will be back for the weekend before their permanent move. I am going to miss the kid!
      Thanks JAck

      Delete
  4. So it seems that the church in Corinth didn’t heed Paul’s words after his visit so he decided not to go back. Instead he writes this letter. My Bible commentary says the Paul stayed away from Corinth because he was concerned that another visit would make things worse in their church.
    I like vs 21: Now it is God who makes both us and you stand firm in Christ. I think often when we have difficult time with someone God wants us to stand firm in Christ and act the way Christ wants to act. And we can pray in the moment (if we are quick enough lol) that both people will stand firm in Christ.
    I have kind of a difficult time with my mother. We just aren’t on the same page. I visited her today (she’s 87 and at Ideal) and things went well until right at the end of the visit. When I was driving home I felt like God orJesus or the Holy Spirit was telling me not to be upset. That I had done my best and done the right thing by going. Then I let it go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathy good for you for listening to God and letting it go. Not and easy thing to do at times.

      Delete
    2. Corinth was a tough city! And we are seeing its resistance to Christianity!
      It is tough to stand firm all the time though!
      "Let it go..." hard to do but also wise to do at times. Keep listening to the Spirit for guidance. One thing I have always told my kids (both school and personal), "Do the best you can do, I don't expect perfection, but do as best as you can for now." Be at peace that you did your best at the moment.
      Thanks for sharing Cathy

      Delete
  5. What wonderful memories you are making for your grandson.
    I so agree we need to help those who are suffering. No one gets through life without some challenges. Some definitely get more than seems fair of suffering. I am always in awe of those who keep their faith after such trying times.
    I know I have been disappointed by promises not kept. I have also disappointed others through I try to be conscious of this and try not to.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We should help as much as we can- but we get tired sometimes too! Life is tough and people do struggle with faith, but those that have issues in life sometimes have such great faith.
    Breaking a promise is tough for both sides- but we just need to try and do as best as we can at the moment.
    Thanks Cindy

    ReplyDelete

A Final Post

 Good morning. We did it! The entire New Testament in a year. that is quite a feat! Thank you all for your dedication and work. It wasn'...