Tuesday, August 31, 2021

2 Corinthians 2

 Good morning. Sorry for ditching you all yesterday. It was a long and hard day!

Sherri has been sick (again) for the last several days- really bad and aggressive head cold and probably bronchitis at this point. The kids left Sunday after lunch. My morning "coffee buddy" is gone for the week (insert sad face here). 

I slept in until almost 8 AM yesterday! No grandson to wake me up! Then had to make a salad for my lectionary group picnic; followed by chores. As I was getting ready to leave for the picnic, the boy from the farm next door flew in on his 4-wheeler, in tears. "There's an emergency at the barn. Can you check my goat? I think she is dead." He is going to 5th grade this fall and was a wreck. I drove up to their house; Dingus was dead. I moved her to a clothes basket that was in the barn, covered her with a blanket that I found; the boy was there, so I asked him if I could pray for Dingus and him. We prayed, he cried, we hugged. We put her into the tack room until I could get back from the picnic. When I got home from picnic, I went up and we dug a hole and buried Dingus after a memorial service. It was so hard seeing him and his twin brother so sad. 

Picnic was good. Petonia Lake in Greene. Quiet, peaceful, no noise, good food! Sherri stayed home and rested and recovered. Seems to be doing much better!

But it was a long day and I had no energy when I got home! So, sorry to disappoint you all and miss posting! Thank you for the grace.

Back to Paul and his troubles with Corinth.

He opens this chapter with another thought on why he didn't visit Corinth. The "yes and no" statements may be clearer now. Donna mentioned it was as if the Corinthians were thinking Paul was "speaking out of both sides of his mouth." Paul changed his plans (for whatever reason) and the Corinthians used it as a criticism for Paul saying that he is unreliable and untrustworthy, If we can't trust him to visit like he said he would, how can we trust him with bigger issues- like God and Jesus! Paul's most recent visit was full of unpleasantness and controversy, so he wanted to spare (himself and) the Corinthians more trouble (v 1). If he brought sorrow and pain every time he visited, then who would they look to for happiness and joy (v 2)? Paul wasn't willing to risk losing the church to some outside agency (Satan?). 

Paul decided that a personal letter would be better than a visit (v 3). Paul could say what he needed to say without the "risk" of aggression or conflict. Paul was hoping that this current letter would get all the hardships on the table; that the Corinthians would change their hearts, and that when Paul did visit, they would all be happy and have joy. I'm sure that Paul, like us, didn't like confronting the Corinthians and telling them they were doing wrong. Do we like starting conflict? Paul (and we) was looked at as the enemy when he offered correction and guidance. We can really feel Paul's compassion for the Corinthians in these words he is writing!

Paul uses some brilliant pastoral wisdom (v 5). Paul is referring to someone specifically that caused grief and sadness to Paul and the community, but he doesn't mention the person's name. It is good to not call out the person directly, but also, others now begin to look at what they have done and wonder if they were the reason for these words from Paul. He may be referring to the man from 1 Corinthians 5 (the one having an incestuous relationship with his step-mother), maybe it is someone different. Paul asks the church to stop punishing the man (v 6). It seems as though the man may have repented, but the church is still excluding him! That never happens in our churches, does it?! Paul's words of wisdom- forgive him, comfort him, love him (vv 7-8). We need more of that in our world! Continued harsh treatment of fellow Christians is a way for Satan to get into our lives (v 11). The more anger and hate we harbor, the easier it is for evil to take control. Theologian John Trapp said (about Satan), "That wily merchant, that greedy blood-sucker, that devoureth not widows' houses, but most men's souls." The failure to show love to a repentant man is the avenue Satan is using. 

Paul mentions a brief visit to Troas (v 12, "a door was opened" in some translations), but Paul wasn't a one-man show and his companion Titus was missing, so he didn't stay. Paul mentioned this to partially explain his lack of visiting Corinth.

Paul comments that he is being led by Jesus (v 14). It seems as though Paul is referring to Jesus/God in almost military terms (victory). Do we look at Jesus/God that way- as generals in an army? The sweet fragrance Paul refers to is also a Roman tradition. As the Romans returned from successful battles, they would burn lots of sweet smelling incense. In Paul's mind, this incense was like the wisdom of God. The "sweet smell" may also be a reference to the sacrifices that were made at the altars to God. The sweet smelling incense that was burned at the Roman victory parades were joyful for the victors, but not so much for the people that lost (vv 15-16). In the same way, the Gospel message is sweet smelling and victorious for some, but a message of condemnation for others!

Paul ends this chapter by saying they are not in this job for profit or to make a quick buck! They (Paul and his companions) are in the field of ministry to make a change in the world not to make money quickly!

It is good to be back! Possibly date day in Ithaca!

Enjoy the beauty of the day!

Shalom+
Pastor Paul


8 comments:

  1. I am so sorry that Sherri is not feeling well hoping she is better today.
    The story about the boy and his goat is so sad. How wonderful that you were able to bring him and his brother some comfort.
    At the beginning of this chapter it tells of how Paul didn't visit because he didn't want to make them feel bad or bring them down. I do get this. We all have people that are hard to be around because they are so negative all the time. I'm not talking about someone going through a rough time that needs some compation. When I am at a gathering I want to sit next to the person who is fun or interesting.
    Forgiveness is so important because it usually hurts you if you don't forgive. I am pretty good at this but I can instantly think of several people that are no longer in my life but we're so unkind. I don't think I have really forgiven them because I feel anxious just thinking about them. Hoping I have forgiven but I haven't forgotten.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point- I don't want to spend all my time at a gathering listening to someone complain!
      Forgiveness is hard- and it hurts both parties- like you say!
      Good thoughts Cindy!

      Delete
  2. So sorry to hear that Sherri is stillnot feeling her best , hopefully she is better soon.. I never had my kids or grandkids stay for any length of time but even after one day i misses them so much after they left so I understand what you are feeling. This is a time you will always remember and cherish (time spent with Joseph)
    How wonderful you were able to help you Neighbor boy with his goat and bet there for him and his brother. I'm sure you helped them a great deal what with the burial. prayers etc. Just someone to be there for support etall.

    Paul seems to continue to esplain to the Corinth church why he was not there. I wish we had the 2 missing letters he wrote it may help to explain a lot to us of what was happening at the time.
    Paul then goes on the tell the church that they must find forgives for on in their nidst who did something wrong. Hr was punished but now it was time to forgive him so he didn't feel like he had no hope. as the longer he felt their punishment and unforgiveness the more he could despair and they could possibly lose him to Satan Reminds me of some one holding a grudge against a friend and possibly losing that person as a friend forever. We need to able to forgive others as we would want others to forgive us for wrongs we have committed . None of us are perfect so forgiveness is vital in all our lives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do wonder what the other letters to the Corinthians were like!
      Grudges are tough! We all have them and they do ruin relationships! Forgiveness is hard too!
      Good points Clara!

      Delete
  3. Pastor, I think that you certainly needed yesterday off! It sounds like it was a draining day. We all need a day off once in awhile. Rest is a wonderful healer.
    I guess I don’t know about too many cases where the church punishes people, unless I’m not thinking of this correctly. I was thinking about shunning in the Amish Church. That sounds like a terrible thing. The guilty person is just treated like they don’t exist anymore. So sad.
    Forgiveness is such a big topic in the Bible as it is in everyday life. As Clara said, we need to forgive others as we want to be forgiven. Sometimes you do something that upsets another person very innocently. Sometimes it’s on purpose.
    I have a very small but difficult extended family. (Not my children or husband). Even though there are only about 15 people most of them don’t speak to each other or don’t like each other. Families that do get along just just be good at forgiving. They must see the value of being in a good relationship with other family members rather than not seeing or speaking with them. It’s sad.
    Oh well, it’s a beautiful day! Finally not so humid

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The church does not "punish" people like it used to- I don't think. Maybe some of the sects like Amish/Mennonite do but I think mainline denominations have stopped that aspect of "ministry".
      Forgiveness is so hard- but why? We all desire it too.
      It is hard when family doesn't get along. Family is important and having those gatherings brings strength.
      Thanks for sharing Cathy.

      Delete
  4. I hope you and Sherri got to take that drive to Ithaca - such a perfect day for it. And I hope that Sherri is feeling much better!!!

    Well, all our speculation as to why Paul was not returning to Corinth was not correct - thinking Paul was afraid that he was going to bring the persecution that Paul rec'd in Asia to them. But it was all due to the relationship between Paul and the Corinthians. Paul must be very down - I can't imagine all the sacrifice he has endured and the love he has for them and yet be treated so badly by them. And still he doesn't want to hurt them more by visiting. I do NOT like starting conflict. But I do like how Paul gave his advice on forgiving people. And I agree with all the comments above - it is very difficult sometimes for me to forgive people. I know I should, but...... And I agree with Paul, the more we dwell in the negative, the easier for Satan to keep us there. It is too bad that Paul did not meet up with Titus. When I go through a difficult time in my life, I like to be able to talk to friends that can understand what I am going through - because they have gone through it!

    God gave us a great day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It has to be tough for Paul- I am sure he doesn't like conflict and I am sure he is hurt by the way the Corinthians were treating him- especially after all he did for them.
    Like you- I don't like starting conflict- but I do sometimes...it happens!
    We do need to stay positive and look at the bright side of things- Satan loves darkness!
    Good points Donna. Thanks

    ReplyDelete

A Final Post

 Good morning. We did it! The entire New Testament in a year. that is quite a feat! Thank you all for your dedication and work. It wasn'...