Thursday, September 30, 2021

1 Peter 2

 Good morning! Nice and sun shining start to the day with a definite smell of autumn in the air!

This chapter is a continuation of the words from the last one. Peter starts with "Therefore..." Given all that Peter said about God and hope and the future and our lives, we need to get rid of all the bad in our hearts and in our life; we need pure and open hearts to receive God's words. We should want to hear and listen to god's words like an infant wants milk. I remember when our kids were babies and they would be so hungry and so upset, but as soon as food came, they were calm and settled and content. I loved hearing their cooing and soft noises when they ate. That's how we are to be when we receive God's word. Are we like that? 

Peter's idea is that God is using us, along with Christ, to build a spiritual temple (vv 4-6). We are the "living" stones, along with Christ in this building. Have you ever thought of yourself as a stone in God's Holy Temple? We are an integral part of the building proposed by God; we are intimately connected to Jesus through the Master Builder. We are all connected; we cannot do it alone. There has been a radio commercial on the last few days for a walk to raise money for lupus research. The tag-line is something like "we can't do it alone, but 'manyone' can" The idea of "manyone" (lots of people together) can do anything is what Peter is talking about here.

Christ is the cornerstone (vv 6-8). As we know, a cornerstone is the first stone laid down in a foundation and sets the orientation and integrity of the foundation of the building. That defines Christ! We also know in many Hebrew scriptures (and some NT ones) that this stone was rejected because He (Christ) became a stumbling block! When we disobey and turn away, that's when the cornerstone becomes a stumbling block. I know I have had that feeling at times!

Peter, like Paul has several times, opens the door and "invites" Christians to Christ (vv 9-10). The idea is that Israel was once the chosen nation, but they rejected the cornerstone; that cornerstone is now available to us. We are invited to the "royal priesthood". The offices of royalty and priesthood were separated, but Christ brings them together- and we are included in that royal priesthood! We were once not even in the sight of God (pre-Jesus), but now we are incorporated into that community of believers. 

As part of that royal priesthood, Peter encourages us to live a life in God's world, not the "carnal" world (vv 11-10); its tough, its like a battle that we need to fight. We are called too be models of the Christian life. People may turn away from us or talk about us (v 12), but they will also notice the good that we do. Do we live our lives as "models" of good living? Part of that modeling the good life is to be good and faithful citizens too (vv 13-14). Peter was writing this letter from Rome and Rome was definitely not a "friend" of the Christians, and even with that, Peter basically says they are your government, and even though you may not agree with them, they are the government. How does that shed light to our current political issues we face? The caveat is that we should follow, as long as they are dong God's will and not contradicting God's commandments. The way we conduct our life is the way we "defend' the gospel; people may not read God's words, but they "read" us. Are we worthy of being read?

Peter then approaches the slave-master concept (as Paul did many times). Peter comments that slaves should obey and respect their masters- both good and bad. If they suffer for doing right, they should consider it commendable to God. When we are punished for doing wrong- that's our doing; when we are punished for doing right- that is respectable before God. Peter then gives the example of Christ (vv 21-24). He did nothing wrong, didn't fight back, didn't accuse, didn't abuse others- yet He was condemned to death- death for us (v 24). If Jesus hadn't endured the persecution and hate of the ungodly, we would still be like lost sheep, just wandering (v 25). Through the love of Jesus, we are returned back to the shepherd and are now part of the flock of the Great Shepherd.

Some great words from Peter in this chapter. I really like the way he writes and the words he says!

Have a good rest of the day.

Shalom+
Pastor Paul


11 comments:

  1. Thank you for the kinds words for my husband's friend I will be sure to pass them on. Jack I am so sorry to hear about your friend and I hope you continue to heal and improve after your surgery.
    Insist does feel like fall. I love this time of year. We actually turned out furnace on this evening to take the chill off.
    I had to laugh pastor Paul when you mentioned our children being calm and settled once they were fed. I am the same way!
    Kidding aside I do feel calm and settled when I receive God's word. I shared with a friend today how I am so grateful for this group and the faith journey that we are on.
    I do believe we are all a part of cornerstones to keep God's message alive in our own way.
    When I was talking to my friend today we were actually talking about some of those in our government who are so unkind but yet have many who support that behavior..
    My text says... God wants you to silence stupid and ignorant people by doing right. This is when I really have to watch my tongue. My son has said to me to think of something positive about my position or opinion. It is great advice but a struggle sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We started the fireplace last night...no furnace yet...hoping we can get by a few more days until it warms some!
      Food is a great comforter- that's why I am in such good physical shape!!
      We are all part of the foundation to keep the gospel flowing- we can all do the best we can to get that message out.
      I know my tongue can be wild at times! I know I have hurt people and said things that are rude- I need to watch that when I am with people!
      Thanks Cindy!

      Delete
  2. Verse 17 struck me- “show proper respect to everyone.” Peter wants us to live as Jesus did when he was persecuted. Respect is so important to being a “good” person. And it’s missing in so many.
    Tonight on the news I heard that school board members are being harangued and harassed by irate parents- people mostly upset about wearing masks in school. These board members want protection from police and even FBI. It’s beyond me how people can an be so upset about such a simple thing as a mask. No one likes masks, for sure, but is it worth threatening others? Making school board members feel unsafe? This goes back to basic respect.
    Just this week I heard my 7 yr old granddaughter speak disrespectfully to my daughter in law. Her mother did nothing about it. Remember, one of my favorite Bible lessons has been “mind your own business”. I try to live by this as much as possible. I’m afraid I’m going to break my own rule. My daughter in law isn’t doing Miranda any favors by letting her become disrespectful. I’m been thinking for days how to approach this with my daughter in law. Wish me luck.
    Peter makes such wonderful tributes to Jesus. His words sound very sincere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is hard to respect people at times. And people may find it tough to respect us at times too!
      I saw the same news piece about the school boards! Yikes- what have we come to?
      There were a few times in school when kids would call their mom/dad from the room phone. Some of them were just so rude- and I called them out for it and made them call their parent back and apologize. Kids didn't like it much- I think the parents were surprised!
      Sometimes it is hard to "mind our own business."
      Good thoughts Cathy

      Delete
  3. Jesus is the cornerstone of the church but I never thought of us as being stones that build up the church. we need to be strong in our faith and be as God like as we can possibly be so the church is strong. Jesus is there to help us do that . He gave us salvation so we need to be thankful and respect his great gift to us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are those strong stones on which the foundation is built!
      Keep the strength!
      Thanks Clara

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. To me ,the high point of this chapter was the spot where Peter pointed to the emperor and admonished us to "Show proper respect to everyone, love the family of believers, fear God, honor the emperor."

    Unfortunately, I fear that we as a nation have forsaken God. I realize that our president is a Roman Catholic, but I believe that, due to is age, he no longer has the mental acuity that he once had. I am afraid that I cannot in good conscience follow Peter's admonishment. To me, it is next to impossible to ignore the thought that we live in a country that no longer obeys the motto "In God we trust." This is evident in the fact that there has been a move to strike the words "under God" from our pledge to the flag. I find this all very troubling.

    As a side note, I deleted my first comment because I must have laid on a key when I was looking something up in my Bible and I ended up with a page and a half of blank space.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is hard when we see things happening, to do the right thing. It is hard to know what the right thing is some times!
      We have strayed away from God and we have turned our backs to religion and the feelings of grace and mercy. How do we get that back?
      If we are the living stones of the foundation- are we doing what we need to be doing?
      Good thoughts JAck

      Delete
  6. I enjoyed the first chapter of Peter, however, in reading this second chapter I am a bit confused. When Peter speaks of honoring, obeying, respecting the King - in both vs. 13 and 17, Nero was King, who was godless and brutal. So I don't quite understand what Peter is saying - honor but don't if the are Godless? But then goes on to tell servants that they should obey their masters, even if they are bad? Doesn't this go against obeying those that are Godless? Jesus did suffer greatly for us, and I absolutely agree our lives should be dedicated to Him. However, even Jesus went against the rulers - as in the temple - and even in some of this teachings, yes? I wonder what would have happened to us, the Gentiles, if the Jews had not rejected Jesus? Would they have turned to us then?

    I am enjoying Peter!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think Peter's thought was they (Nero, et al) command respect because of their position, but we don't have to love them or like them. There have been people in my career that I had to respect because of their position, but I didn't like what they did or what they stood for. Peter's idea continues that if we live a good and wholesome life- we may be able to change the bad.
    Good point- Jesus did not get along too well with the religious authority did he!
    Lots of great ideas Donna.

    ReplyDelete

A Final Post

 Good morning. We did it! The entire New Testament in a year. that is quite a feat! Thank you all for your dedication and work. It wasn'...