Monday, September 13, 2021

2 Corinthians 7

 Good morning! I am back! And the week is already filled with things to do! I thought retirement was sit around and watch the grass grow?! I guess if I Watch it grow, that means I will need to cut it though!

Busy weekend for me! Catching up on weeding and harvesting garden produce and reading for my next course of study, "Contemporary Theology" (its going to be interesting!). Worship yesterday using Ezekiel 37 (valley of the dry bones) as my primary text...I think it was a good one. Then back home to load up four sheep and two pigs to be "processed" (both a sad and happy/ fulfilling day). 

Sherri made it back from Ballston Spa last night. She said that when she got there and walked up the stairs to the new apartment- Joseph ran to her, hugged her, then looked down the stairs and yelled, "Grandpa!" Oh how I love that kid!

This week will be adjusting to the new normal and trying to get back to my regular routine. Let's see how that goes!

On to Paul's words for us...

Paul begins with the conclusion from the prior verses. In vv 16-18 Paul was discussing the need for us to separate from worldly influences and live a life dedicated to God. How easy is that? If we separate ourselves from worldly things, we can have a closer, more intimate relationship with God (1:17). So, Paul says, since we have that promise from God, let us do what we can to do our part- cleanse ourselves from "defilement of body and spirit" (words from NRSV, 2:1). How do we do that? How do we get rid of all the "filth and ugh"?

In these next verses, Paul switches to telling how joyful he is at their repentance and growth in accepting him. He begins by saying he has been completely honest with them, and they now need to be honest to him. It seems like Paul is continuing the discussion he started in 6:11-13. The Corinthian Christians had problems with Paul- he wasn't doing God's work, he wasn't chosen by God, he didn't have authority, he had his own mission; Paul suggests that the problem is with their hearts (7:2). Their hearts seem to be open to everything in the world- but Paul! Paul then reminds them that he has done nothing wrong to them, they are listening to bad sources. We don't do that- do we? Paul wasn't doing this to "condemn" them (v 3) but to remind them of what he has done. His goal is to restore bonds that they originally had. Paul has been bold in his criticism of them, but he has also boldly boasted about them; he has been tough but loving (v 4). Those of us with kids know what Paul is talking about- we can be strongly critical but also strongly loving. 

Paul speaks about his trip to Macedonia- which sounds quite bad (v 5): disputes, fears, afflictions. The joy was when God send Titus to him with good news about the Corinthians church- they were beginning to turn back to God (vv 6-7). Paul saw hope for the Corinthians and their church. Do we have that hope? We can see wrong in the world (our churches), but do we also see hope?

Paul essentially apologizes for the letter he sent (probably one of the unpublished letters). He regrets sending it, yet doesn't (v 8). We all have had those feelings- feeling bad that we said something to someone, but knowing it had to be said. Nobody likes to be confrontational, but sometimes we have to! Paul wants them to realize that his calling them out made them aware of their errors and, even though they were upset, they made changes to their life (v 9). We are like that, right. We hate being told we are wrong, yet it helps us in the long run. Their sorrow and grief at being called out brought them to repentance and that repentance allowed them to have a closer relationship with God (v 10). Sorrow doesn't feel good, but it produces good results. The grief that the Corinthians experienced at their sins made them have a greater love and energy for God. Do we feel that when we recognize our sins? It is such a great cleansing feeling to acknowledge your sins and repent, as we build a closer relationship with God. 

The church has been refreshed by the Spirit! Titus must have had a bad feeling about the church and their wrongdoings, but now hearing what Paul has to say, Titus seems quite happy and pleased at the  church (v 13). 

I love the last verse from Paul. "I rejoice because I have complete confidence in you." (NRSV). What an amazing and spirit boosting comment!

Things seem to be coming around for the Corinthians; the relationship between Paul and the Corinthians seems to be improving and they are mending their souls. It will be interesting to see how the story progresses!

Hope yo have a good day. It is good to be back!

 Shalom+
Pastor Paul


9 comments:

  1. Hello! I'm glad to be back. I've missed all of you.
    First I wanted to say that I enjoyed the sermon yesterday. I love Ezekiel's story about the dry bones. I always immediately think of the song "dry bones".
    My week off was very busy too. I was surprised how quickly I got out of the habit of reading a chapter and thinking it through. Good to know that I need to keep God and faith on my mind when I'm not doing a Bible study anymore.
    Paul's words today reminded me of being a parent or even a library director, having to correct someone and wanting to always do it in a way that is respectful. And sometimes being corrected myself and trying to take the criticism in a positive way. It seems important to remember that if something comes out in a not so respectful way, we need to apologize for that. Paul wants to have a good relationship with the Corinthians IF they can live up to his values. Only then will he be proud of them.
    Yesterday I watched a play on Amazon called Inherit the Wind. I'm sure you're all familiar with it. Doing this Bible study made the play all the more pertinent for me. Spencer Tracy was the attorney. At the end of the trial, the Bible expert said that his way of thinking was the right way because God had inspired his thinking. Spencer Tracy asked him how he would feel if Charles Darwin said that he felt that God had spoken to HIM, and for that reason his way is the only right way. By the way the name of the play came from Proverbs 11:29. "He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind" The whole thing had new meaning for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment on the message! I appreciate that!
      I understand about the reading habit. We were talking about that the other day- only with respect to church attendance. Once that habit is broken- it is hard to regain!
      Paul did sound much like a parent in the chapter didn't he! When we are corrected, we (or I) take it negatively rather than looking at the positive of ding something better!
      "Inherit the Wind"! Didn't know it was on Amazon. I was a guest lecturer for an 11th grade English class for a few days at my school after they were done reading the play. The class and I did a text analysis and discussed the biology of evolution and my understanding of God and creation and theology. I had a great time doing that and the kids saw a different side of me.
      Thanks Cathy!

      Delete
  2. I am glad that Paul is happy again - but what a strange letter. When we write a letter, we sit down, write it, and then mail it. at most it might take us a day or two to finish a letter. However, in this same letter, Paul is angry with them and defends himself and his actions, then he tells them that he is very disappointed and sadden that he did not see Titus, and NOW he is saying that he has met up with Titus and is very happy that the Corinthians treated Titus well and seem to be changing their feelings about Paul. AND Paul has done travelling. How long did it take Paul to write this letter? and if he finds out in Chapter 7, about half way through the "letter" that the Corinthians seem to have had a change of heart toward God and toward Paul, does that mean that everything he wrote previous to this is now null and void? After all, they have already seen the error of their ways so what is the need of the letter? Obviously the previous letter (that seems to have been lost) did the trick - so to say. I think Paul did not regret writing the letter that brought the Corinthians sorrow but the situations that caused Paul to have to write the letter in the first place. So why is he writing this one? Why didn't he rip it up since he knows the previous one caused sorrow AND change? Or is it possible that the letter was written in sections and sent in sections? So he and Titus and the change in the Corinthians are in response to the first part of this letter? I totally get what you mean, Cathy - need to get back into the habit of reading first thing in the day, and reflecting.

    Welcome back, Pastor

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paul does seem happy- now! And he takes lots of time and thought in his writings. I will have to find out how long Paul took on this letter. It does seem like a long time to include all the events he described! He just didn't fire off an angry email!
      Good though about him just forgetting this letter- I mean, like you say, if they corrected their ways, why bring up the past- other than to remind them and tell them later to look back at history?
      Hmmm...written and delivered in sections?? More work for me to investigate!! Now I have time to do that!
      It is good to be back!
      Thansk Donna

      Delete
  3. I agree Donna that this letter had to have been written in sections for Paul to criticize the church and then praise them . First Titus was not there then Titus was there. So Paul must have had news between different chapters from the church for him to know that they had repented etc. It really is tood bad that we are missing the 1st and 3rd letter paul wrote or we might have a mush clearer picture of what was happening. The sorrow that Pauls speakes of remind sme of when my daugher was a young child and was very ticklish . Her father loved to tickle her to get her to laugh but he would do it til she was almost short of breath and I loved the answer she gave him once when he tickled her til she cried and then told her he was sorry.. Her answer to him was "Sorry doesn't count anymore, Daddy" I think that was the turning point where he did not do that anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be interesting to have his other letters to the church- and it is interesting that only these survived!? Were they "lost" by someone who felt they weren't important to read?
      Hmmmm..."Sorry doesn't count anymore." How many times can one say sorry until we get the same feeling! Kids are smart!
      Thanks Clara!

      Delete
  4. Well, I'm back, too, Pastor. It is a pleasant surprise when I expected to be behind to find that I am not behind at all. My surgery went well, and the doctor said that the placement of the wire was "perfect." Pat 2 is this Thursday and it is the placement of the battery to run the whole contraption. I should be home Thursday bight, but I will probably not feel like blogging. I imagine that I will be 2 chapters behind by the time the dust settles this weekend.

    This letter seems to be a letter of joy for Paul as it is the first time that Paul has seen the Corinthian Church show any sign of warmth towards him. He mentions a letter in which he spoke harshly of them, but perhaps this harsh letter is what was needed to turn the situation around. It appears that this letter is one of the lost letters as it does not appear here in print. Paul states that he is sorry if he hurt his flock, but only for a little while. I believe he meant that if he hurt them with his criticism, the hurt lasted a brief time. Perhaps they had an "ah-ha" moment and they realized that whatever he said was right and it needed to be said.

    Anyhow, this is an upbeat chapter and, perhaps, it marks the turning around of his relations with the Corinthians.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jack - I am so glad that everything has gone well for you! Praying that the rest goes well for you, too and that each day you feel better and better!!

      Delete
  5. Good news Jack- thanks for update and thanks for the phone call last week! Keep us updated.
    I agree- this does seem like the first time Paul is happy with the Corinthian church!
    We do need to speak harshly at times for people to hear what we are saying.
    I think we all get those epiphany moments and then we realize what we have done!
    Thanks JAck!

    ReplyDelete

A Final Post

 Good morning. We did it! The entire New Testament in a year. that is quite a feat! Thank you all for your dedication and work. It wasn'...