Tuesday, September 14, 2021

2 Corinthians 8

 It is good to be back and getting to a more regular routine. Good day yesterday getting some things done here and some well needed rest. We went to a friend's home for dinner and picked a bushel of tomatoes- so someone has spaghetti sauce and ketchup to make today! After helping my neighbor fertilize and seed some feed plots for the deer. And keeping up with church work! Back to busy again!

Re: yesterday's chapter. We all seemed to have the same comments- how Paul finally seems happy with the Corinthian church! It is good to see that. There has been a significant change in his feelings toward the church. I think we have all been there too!

This morning we read about him encouraging the church to be "generous" and his thanks to Titus.

Paul begins with an example from the Macedonian churches (think Philippi and Thessalonica). Macedonia was in the northern part of Greece; Achaia was the southern part of Greece (Corinth was in Achaia). Paul comments that even though they had great hardships and were poor (v 2), they gave abundantly to they church (v 2). Their poverty was primarily due to the Romans taking their wealth. Paul was asking for money to tale care of the poor and the widowed in Jerusalem (he talked about this in 1 Corinthians 16). When I read his words (vv 3-4), I am reminded of the widow's mites (I know- that story was from the Gospels and they were written after these Pauline letters!). It seems like Paul didn't have to beg for the money as he used words like freely, abundantly, urgently. Would you like to be compared to another person (or church) in your giving? How would that go if I mentioned to my Little Meadows people that I heard that the Apalachin UMC gave $XX to the ???? fund, we can do better than them!

Titus, the person who brought the letter to Corinth, was the one to encourage the Corinthians in their giving (v 6). Originally, the Corinthians were probably willing to take up the collection, but then things got difficult between Paul and Corinth, and then he sends Titus to them- they may have been reluctant to give Titus the money. I think Paul gets somewhat sarcastic here (v 7) as he describes them "excelling in everything-- faith, speech, knowledge..." Did they understand that or did they really think they were that excellent? His comment basically reads- if you are so good with these things, than you should be good at giving- and it is a grace form God that we are able to give to others. He mentions that it isn't a command (that would be almost like a tax!), but he wants their giving to be from their hearts and to show that you are better than the Macedonian churches (v 8). Again, how would you like your giving being compared to other churches? 

The Corinthian church had expressed a desire to give at one time- now Paul is saying follow through with that (v 10). You said you would do it- now  do it! Theologian John Trapp wrote (300 years ago), "This age aboundeth with mouth-mercy, which is good cheap..." In addition, William Barclay (early 1900s) commented, "The tragedy of life so often is, not that we have no high impulses, but that we fail to turn them into actions." Is that still true today?

Paul was asking for the offering not so the Jerusalem widows and poor would get fat and lazy, but that they could survive (vv 13-14). The goal was not to burden the Corinthians and make life easy for the people of Jerusalem, the goal was to make life more fair for all. Can life ever be fair for all?

Paul now turns to the worthiness of Titus. Titus and "a brother" (v 18) have come to Corinth to deliver the letter on behalf of Paul and to take the collection back to Jerusalem. We do not know who the "brother" is. The list of possible people are: Silas, Luke, Barnabas, Timothy, and several others! Paul is essentially saying that Titus and the other are trustworthy and Corinth should be willing to give their funds to them. Financial aspects of the church should be conducted properly and Paul says that Titus is that guy. How many times have we heard of financial inappropriateness in churches?!

Paul ends with strong words of encouragement to give (v 24). ""Show them proof of your love and our reason for boasting of you!" Is amount of giving equal to proof of love? I struggle with those words and would never preach that!

This chapter sounded like a stewardship sermon! It is hard asking for money for causes. I give to whom I desire and people telling me who I should give to doesn't help me make that decision. I'm not sure about his approach- but I get it.

Have a good day- it is going to be a nice one!

Shalom+
Pastor Paul


4 comments:

  1. This chapter does sound like a Stewardship sermon, but, honestly, once a year - it has to be said. Churches do not run on "air", but do need money to pay bills, heat and light the buildings, run missionary work, donate money to help other people, organizations, etc out - it is difficult to talk about and difficult to remind people it's needed, but it's a necessity. However, asking for money from Corinthians to help the people in Jerusalem - that has got to be a hard pill to swallow - especially since there had to be widows and poor in their own "back yard". I am hoping that Paul is only using Macedonians as an example and not a comparison - you know - saying - I understand that things might not be going your way, but they are not in Macedonia either and yet they are giving. Although we are not told which churches give 100% in their ministry shares, we are told that many do and some do not. When Paul says he does not speak by commandment, does he mean he does not give that commandment or that God/Jesus does not give that commandment. Since tithing is mentioned in the Bible, is it a commandment? I really did not like, in my translation, in vs 8 where Paul ends (after the thoughts on commandment) "to prove the sincerity of your love" Really??? That seems a bit dubious. But I do understand Paul's feeling that he has to mention it - especially since the Corinthians seemed to "pledge" it and were now falling back on that pledge - just as today it is hard to put together a budget on pledges if the congregation does not follow through. You know, I don't think I ever heard of financial inappropriateness in a church that I was affiliated with.

    I also like to give my money to whomever or wherever I please, but I think Paul is addressing the church, yes? So he is saying the church has collected the money and therefore should give what they said they would. Isn't that the same as today with our ministry shares? We give the money but the conference and then the general conference decides where the money could best be used.

    Beautiful day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let's talk about this stewardship sermon...never really done one and it is hard asking for money!
      We can easily find what churches do not give 100% of their ministry shares and for many years, there has been an announcement of the churches that did give 100%- I have never liked that!
      My take was that by "commandment" he was saying it isn't required- but highly suggested! If something is commanded- then I feel it is mandatory, while "highly suggested" makes it less mandatory. Does that make sense? I don't think it was a God/Jesus statement.
      I am not a fan of Paul's word choice either- generosity in finances is proof of your love?!
      Yes- the church is being addressed rather than the individual...so I see your point. Good catch.
      Thanks Donna

      Delete
  2. Quite a few years ago, when I was employed by Central UMC in Endicott, at an ad board meeting, the Sr Pastor told everyone that he was privy to all financial records. He wanted everyone there to know that he had checked it out and found that he was the largest donor. He was trying to shame everyone with this fact. I will never forget that meeting. I was shocked. Should anyone in any church know who the donor that gave the most money was? To me, this pastor was letting everyone know that giving the most money made you the most important, devout, and most holy person in the church.
    I know that churches do not run without money. But is intimidation or humiliation the best way to get people to support your cause? I don’t think so but I don’t have any answers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pastors are privy to financial information- but I have never looked at giving records and I have no idea who gives what amounts. I feel that is none of my business. It keeps us "honest"? Hypothetically, I could give more attention to the people that give more (in hopes of them giving more) and then pay less attention to those that give less. Or I could be accused of it. If there is a large donation given, I may be given the name so I can write a card to them- but I do not know the amount. Or if I do know the amount, then I have someone else write the thank you and I don't know the name. I feel better that way.
    Good points Cathy!

    ReplyDelete

A Final Post

 Good morning. We did it! The entire New Testament in a year. that is quite a feat! Thank you all for your dedication and work. It wasn'...