Wednesday, September 15, 2021

2 Corinthians 9

 Good morning. What a great day yesterday. I was helping a neighbor (all day) plant fields of rye grass and brassicas for our deer food plots. I started about 9:30 getting 1200 pounds of fertilizer and 150 pounds of rye grass seed. Then fixing tractors that had broken parts and moving equipment between tractors. Lots done...probably close to 15 acres are ready for the rains! Needless to say- that many hours on a tractor does wonders for someone's back!

Today is lectionary day and errand day. Wednesdays are now my run and do errands all day- day. 

Reminder- tomorrow (Thursday) we are having two events at Little Meadows. Lunch with me, noon until 1:30PM. A chance to sit and chat about anything...almost nothing is off the table! Then later (6:30 until 8PM) is our last free ice cream social. Everyone is invited to either/both events.

This chapter is a continuation of the last one- Paul's request for a collection for the people of Jerusalem. He starts by mentioning "the saints" (v 1)- a reference to the people in Jerusalem that will be the benefactors of the offering. Again- not sure if Paul is honest or sarcastic here when he says, "I know of your eagerness..." (v 2), because from my interpretation of these writings- they weren't too eager! Again- Paul mentions the Macedonian church- but is this sarcasm too? Or is this Paul's way of encouraging them to give? "I have already told the Macedonians that you gave $XX to Jerusalem, so you might as well just do it!" Again- using the word "zeal" seems almost sarcastic- if they had that much zeal- then Paul wouldn't have needed to write what he did.

Paul continues with his sarcasm (or slams) against Corinth. I have already sent people to get your offering so my boasting can be backed up (v 3) and you certainly don't want the Macedonians to see yo didn't do the collection (v 4). Did the people recognize these statements as being cuts on them (or am I reading too much into these words)?

He was sending people (probably Titus and another- like we mentioned yesterday), to gather the collection, so there could be no interpretation of manipulation while he was there (v 5). He also reminds them (again) that this is a voluntary offering, not a required one. My translation uses the word "extortion" (v 5)- strong word! When people give at church, do they see it as a voluntary offering or as a "grudging obligation" (in some translations)?

Paul then makes a bold statement- the more you sow (give) the more you reap (benefit). Is that true? I know there are spiritual and material "benefits" to giving- but are they really directly related to the amount we give? I would argue that point! Interesting that Paul says, "Let each give..." (v 7). Each Christian should be giving- not just the ones coming to church! Give what you can based on what yo have- and be happy about it. Are we happy when we give to the church? The English poet Thomas Carlyle (early 1800s) said that when he was a young boy, a beggar came to his house. The parents were gone, so he ran to his room, broke open his piggy bank, and gave the beggar all that was in there. He said that he had never before felt sheer happiness as when he did that. 

Paul does add the God factor in this. He comments that God is able to provide in abundance, so then we should provide for others from that abundance. Does God "reward" our blessing by providing more for us? I struggle with that concept. Does that mean that people that "don't have" have never given? Paul prays that God will richly "reward" and provide abundantly to the Corinthians sop they can give to the Jerusalem church.

Paul then outlines four "benefits" from the giving:

  • the Jerusalem saints will be cared for (v 12)
  • God will be recognized and thanked (v 12)
  • giving is evidence of commitment and obedience to God (v 13)
  • the Jerusalem contingency will pray for Corinth- and we know the value of prayer (v 14)
Paul ends with "Thanks be to God for God's indescribable gift." (v 15). My interpretation- salvation through Jesus Christ is that gift. Thoughts?

How do you think the Corinthians received this message? Did they notice the sarcasm (or was it just me)? Did this prompt them to give more? Was there any feelings of guilt? Lots of interesting and carefully chosen words here!

Have a great day!

Shalom+
Pastor Paul

8 comments:

  1. When I read this chapter, I thought of my Mom - if I went to her and complained about a sibling, she always pointed out the sibling's point of view. It wasn't until we were all teen-agers that we realized that she also "stuck up" for us when one of our siblings complained about us. To me, that is what Paul is doing here. I think he is telling the Corinthians that - hey, I may be bragging about the Macedonians to you, but I also brag about you to them. In my translation it says that Paul is talking about the "zeal" that Corinthians had a year ago - which they did when they first made their pledge! In fact, it say "that Achaia was ready a year ago" and telling the Corinthians that their initial zeal was an inspiration to many. So I am thinking that Paul was not being sarcastic here. I do question Paul's wording about sending someone to get the offering that he already bragged about and Paul didn't want to be put in an awkward position - but maybe Paul really doesn't want the Christians in Corinthians to be seen in a bad light - more like saying - I don't want others to think you are not honoring your word about the pledge. Paul does love them. My translation does not say extortion it says exhort - which means strongly encourage or urge someone to do something. That is quite a difference I think. And I do like that Paul gives the opposite - that each man gives according to his purpose and vs. 6 and vs. 9 and 10 Paul is quoting something that has already been written so I am thinking that would be very familiar wording to the Corinthians.????? And he does repeatedly say give freely. I think that Paul is saying what he thinks to be true. That this is something that God wants them (and us) to do. It is written for us in Matthew 25, as well as tithing. I don't think God rewards us more if we give nor do I think God rewards us according to the amount we give (remember the story of the poor woman who gave what she had vs. Kings who gave lots but had lots more), but I do think we are JUDGED on how we live and that is part of it, yes? I also think that Paul is telling them to remember God's sacrifice and gift to them - which I also think is Jesus Christ! I honestly think that people do give freely to the church - after all, they don't have to give anything.

    Looking forward to ice cream!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like your reference back to childhood...I didn't look at Paul's commentary this way!
      Paul chooses his words quite wisely. He is such a good writer- confusing at times- but there is lots to read from him!
      I don't believe we are judged by the amounts we give, but by the attitude with which we give...do we show joy or is it out of obligation?
      Paul is trying to remind us and the Corinthians that God/Jesus gave all they could for us...we can do something in return.
      Thanks DOnna!

      Delete
  2. I cannot believe it is already Wednesday and I am behind again. I also thought once I retired I would have all kinds of time but I seem to fill it. Pastor Paul I grew up in the middle of farms I know a farmer's work is never done.
    Donna it sounds like you had a wonderful mother by the way she handled yo you and your siblings complaining about each other.
    Asking for money is so hard. I know I really don't like fundraising but have been on several committees.
    Church's not only have to keep their staff and building going but help fund many great causes.
    While reading these least few chapters I thought of my brother in law who is plummer. I'm sure he could have made a lot more money in his career but he was always bartering. I was just at their house and he came home with a pie. I said I hope you received some money as well. It has been an ongoing joke.
    It do believe those with less are often more generous than those with means.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been retired over a year and my days are more full now then when I was working. I have no idea how I did what I did when I was working!
      Life does require money, but there is more to it than that. I like how your brother deals with his job!
      Thanks Cindy!

      Delete
  3. it seems as if Paul is praising the Macedonian church for their gifts no matter how small and asking that the Corinth church give more as they can afford to, they had promised a gift earlier. Maybe Paul was afraid that they wouldn't give due to Paul's criticism of them?? Why was Paul not going himself to collect the donation instead of sending Titus?? It seems he was now happy with the church??
    I believe i mentioned previously about the priest embarrassing my husbands parents when he was a child that they didn't give enough to the church They gave what the could afford as both his parents worked and had 5 children and a mother in law at home to support. they were active on committees etc at church and gave of their time.
    Due to this happening my husband lost faith and never fully got it back. So sad but true.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Paul was being cautious and reminding them of their commitment. He probably was nervous they would hold back because of their criticism of him. Clergy are like that- we are cautious as to what we say, knowing that income may change based on what we say!
      The church can be quite focused on money rather than other aspects!
      Thanks Clara!

      Delete
  4. Being a library director is a rather low paying job, like so many others. From time to time when people have found out what I make for what I do, they ask me why I don't get a more lucrative job. After all, if you can run a business, you can run a business that would make money.
    To me, a lot of nonprofit businesses do very important work even though funding is often scarce. Maybe success shouldn't be judged by how much money you make but what kind of difference you can make. I admire your brother in law, Cindy. I hope he makes lots of money too but being willing to help someone for a pie is commendable.
    Money is always a touchy subject. It can cause jealousy and envy among families and friends. It's certainly true in my family.
    It looks we're going back to summer again for a while. Personally, I'll be glad when I've had my last mosquito bite for this year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Life isn't always about money- but we do need some to survive! I get your statement about being more lucrative!
    I like the idea of making a difference rather than making a huge income- but that isn't what we focus on is it!
    Thanks Cathy

    ReplyDelete

A Final Post

 Good morning. We did it! The entire New Testament in a year. that is quite a feat! Thank you all for your dedication and work. It wasn'...