Saturday, November 28, 2020

Daily Bread- Nov 28

 Psalm 139 is a wonderful psalm on the presence and intimacy of God in our lives. The focus verses for today are 7 through 16, but the entire psalm speaks of God's omnipresence and omniscience.

God is everywhere- but we need to be an active looker and seeker to see God. We may get lost in our daily grind and we may forget that God is present; I think we sometimes put God on a shelf (or in heaven) and we draw on God when we need God, but the Psalm 139: 7-12 speak of how God is everywhere! To be honest, I know I am not conscious of God's presence all the time. I often get stuck in these places of anxiety and frustration and the daily work load, that I forget about God for a while. It is when I slow down and think (translate- have  conversation with God!) that I become more aware of God's presence. I am closet to God and feel God's presence most when I am in the barn or in the woods, weeding the garden really helps me get lost in thoughts, and those thoughts often move to the presence of God.

Psalm 139:13-16 remind us all that God was intimately involved in our creation. This part reminds me of the story in Genesis 1:26 when God comments: "Let Us make human-kind in our image," and continues in Genesis 2:7 when God creates us with God's hands from the mud of the earth and then breathed God's Spirit into each one of us. (I know, two separate stories, but I am combining them here today for this lesson!). Sherri and I were blessed with our first grandchild in February 2020. When our daughter made the announcement to the family that she was pregnant, one of the first thoughts I had was of this story in Psalm 139 and how God was intimately weaving Joseph together and involved in his life from the start! When we look at children through that lens, we see amazing creations given to us by God (and we were all those children at one time!).

The psalmist continues with the thought that God has ordained the future and knows what we can be. We all have a mission or "task" from God; I do believe that God is intimately involved in our life, but there is human error and the concept of free will that may move us from God's desire to our desire; from where God wants u to be to where we want to be. I truly believe that all people have the ability to be good, but the decisions that they make in life (or the decisions that are made for them) may move them from this path of righteousness and goodness. That is where we can come in and draw them back to the fold. 

What an amazing place this would be in all people recognized the presence and grace that God freely gives each of us!

The devotional writer leaves us with the question, "How does knowing that God is intimately involved in your life give you hope?" My snarky response would be, "How could it not!" I am what I am and I am where I am because of the small tweaks God has provided in my life. When I think back through my life and the circuitous route I took to get into ministry, I see God's hand very actively giving me opportunity to make the decision to serve God in this fashion. Had I noticed these opportunities earlier, or had I had a better knowledge of God when I was younger, I wonder how my life would have been different!

Shalom+
Pastor Paul


No comments:

Post a Comment

A Final Post

 Good morning. We did it! The entire New Testament in a year. that is quite a feat! Thank you all for your dedication and work. It wasn'...