Monday, November 30, 2020

Daily Bread-- November 30

 The focus scripture for today is Malachi 1:8-14, but I am going to back up and begin at verse 6...and these are some very hard to hear words from God through the prophet Malachi (around 450-ish BC). In the passage, God comes down hard on the Israelites for not giving their best offerings to God. 

"You are presenting defiled food upon My altar. But you say, ‘How have we defiled You?’ In that you say, ‘The table of the Lord is to be despised.’ And when you present a blind animal for sacrifice, is it not evil? Or when you present a lame or sick animal, is it not evil? So offer it to your governor! Would he be pleased with you, or would he receive you kindly?” (Malachi 1:7-8, NASB)

God continues with the following, "Don't I deserve better from you?" (my interpretation!)

These words from God stung me as I read them! I thought about my "offerings" to God; some days I am on point and I am sure that God is pleased; but other days I am sure I miss the mark-- far! God does deserve better. 

I remember a course of study class I took a few years ago; the instructor would ask us as we turned in our projects and papers, "Did you do the best you could?" I would say similar to my kids at school (and probably my own kids), "Do as best as you can."

I think many people have become complacent and we settle for mediocrity. There is a comment heard throughout many college campus, "C's get degrees!" And in high school, kids will comment, "As long as I pass!"

God deserves better than that! God deserves the best we can offer God! 

The author of the devotional leaves us with the questions: "Why are you sometimes tempted to give God your leftovers or damaged goods? In what ways will you give God your best today?"

I need to examine those questions!

Shalom+
Pastor Paul

Reminder- we start the gospel of Luke tomorrow (Tuesday). One chapter a day! Prizes for those who complete the task!


2 comments:

  1. I LOVE the name Malachi! It has caused me to think - isn’t it the same as my giving my thoughts, actions and readings to and of God only when I have a minute from other things? I do need to think about that. Looking forward to the reading of Luke.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear you...days are full and busy and we try to squeak in some time to read some devotional or some pastor's "words"! but God deserves more than that! I need to remember that!

    ReplyDelete

A Final Post

 Good morning. We did it! The entire New Testament in a year. that is quite a feat! Thank you all for your dedication and work. It wasn'...