Tuesday, December 1, 2020

The Challenge Begins! Luke 1

 Good morning and welcome to the December reading challenge of reading the Gospel of Luke, one chapter a day, until Christmas Eve. By Christmas morning, you will have a full account of Jesus' life and may have a better understanding of Jesus and what He represented! I invite comments and dialogue...and don't forget...there may be a prize if you finish all the reading as assigned!!

First, some basic background. There are four gospels in the New Testament: Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John; Matthew, Mark, and Luke are called the "synoptic gospels" as they tell essentially the same story ("syn-") through slightly different lenses or eyes ("-optic"). John is often called the "Messianic Gospel" as all of John's writings unashamedly point to Jesus as the Messiah; it is also very philosophical and more difficult to understand. Mark was probably written first (65-70 AD) with Matthew and Luke following around 75- 80AD); John was likely written 90- 100AD.  The author of Luke is anonymous, but believed to be a physician companion of Paul. His writing is very detailed and precise. All of the gospels are considered "ancient biography" and have the following characteristics in common: they are compilations of stories including hymns, prayers, biographical information, genealogies, parables, and miracles (among other  styles); they are highly influenced by Jewish writings and literature; they are ancient biographies-- not modern, they do not offer "references" or reveal their sources, they don't really discuss Jesus' personality or early childhood, or describe Jesus' physical appearance; they employ a "fiction-like" style of writing, the authors used storytelling, symbolism, and foreshadowing to tell what needed to be said; and finally, they are overtly evangelistic, telling the stories of Jesus  to inspire and attract people to Jesus' following. (Introducing the New Testament, Mark Allen Powell, 2009).

Now, Luke 1!

In the introduction (vv 1-4), Luke tells exactly why he wrote this account...to cast away doubt! This statement was encouraging for me, because I think we all doubt and wonder. I liked the words "to help you know that what you have been taught is true. " (v 4, New Century Version). We all like that reinforcement, to know what we've been told is true!

This first chapter deals with John as much as (if not more than Jesus). Why do you think Luke thought it was important to discuss John this much? 

The angel Gabriel was present with both Zechariah and Mary. and said essentially the same words to them both, "Do not be afraid, you are with child" Zechariah was a highly regarded priest of the Temple, Mary was a "common" girl. These are two very important contrasts for us to remember throughout the gospel. Why do you think it was noted that Zechariah was a priest and Mary was a commoner?

In v 29 we read "Mary was startled by what the angel said and wondered what the greeting might mean." Then, in v 34 we hear Mary say, "How will this happen since I am still a virgin." Followed in v 38 with Mary saying, "I am the servant of the Lord. Let this happen to me as you say!" This progression of Mary's responses, from shock to full acceptance, might be the way we respond to God's calling! I like his similarity and the idea that we may be like Mary, God may be giving us something very important to do, we need to move to full acceptance and say  "I am the Lord's servant!"

I am always filled with joy when I read John's response while he is in Elizabeth's womb (v 41) "When Elizabeth heard Mary's greeting, the unborn baby inside her jumped, and Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Spirit." Do we jump for joy and are we filled with the Holy Spirit when we are in the presence of Jesus?

I love the poetry and prayerful words both Mary (vv 46-55) and Zechariah (vv 68-79) use in their praises to God. I have read them several times and each time I hear something new and exciting for me. The words are very "psalm-like" providing comfort and hope when we are trying to survive in our daily routines!

Mary is sometimes (especially in the Catholic church) called "the Mother of God." What does this mean? What does this not mean?

May you be graced as you read and study Luke 1. Comments and discussion are very welcomed!

Shalom+
Pastor Paul



10 comments:

  1. I think I identify with Mary more this year than ever before because of the pandemic. I better understand her fears, confusion, wonder at the information she was receiving and her trepidation about the future. Her faith was strong and my faith wavers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is easy for faith to waiver! Trust me on that one! I wish we could all have the trust and confidence and faith in God that Luke says Mary had! Fears are good as long as they help us trust God and have in God more! Thanks for the comments!

      Delete
  2. JOHN , THE NAME MEANS ,GOD IS GRACIOUS. Later became John the Baptis, His mother got the HOLLY Spirit while he was in the WOMB. He was the beginning of the gospel story. Zechariah was a priest and doubted, Mary was pure and excerpted Gabriel word.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we all doubt some like Zechariah did! If we only could have the confidence and trust that Mary had! Thanks for the comments!

      Delete
  3. Good Morning, I loved this reading. I always forget about the timing of John’s birth at this time of year because we are centered on the birth of Jesus - which we should be. I think it’s interesting that Zechariah could not understand how he could have a child and was struck deaf and dumb, but Mary could not understand how she could have a child and got a further explanation. Maybe it’s because she was so quick to believe where it isn’t clear if Zechariah every did believe or if he always doubted in his heart. I think that Luke discusses John’s birth (and Elizabeth and Zechariah) because John is an extremely important person in Jesus’ life, and in the life of some of the disciples. This makes the connection between John and Jesus and the family tie. I think Luke mentions both Zechariah as being a priest and Mary as being a commoner is first the obvious, God grants the prayers of all. But I think there is another reason. Luke is telling us a story so that we can believe that what we have been told is true. The more facts, the better. All Jews know the job of a Priest and how lighting the incense works! If anyone knows the lineage of David, they will know that they are shepherds, thus Mary being a commoner would make sense. I know that I am always in the presence of Jesus, but when I really feel it, I must admit, I get goosebumps. Not the jumping for joy 😊. I think it is interesting that people were quick to believe Zechariah and Elizabeth - that it was a miracle (where we today would not be so quick to believe it) because they also believed that all bad things were some sort of punishment from God. Like Elizabeth’s inability to get pregnant. Now it is all because of medicine. Now, I don’t agree that bad things happen to us because God is angry with us, but because we don’t believe that, it’s harder to believe the opposite. Like believing in God and not the devil. I believe people say Mary is the mother of God because of the trinity. If she the mother of Jesus, in some way she is also the mother of God and the Holy Spirit. I feel that what it doesn’t mean is that she, in some way, created God - which, of course, she did not!
    Looking forward to tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm...some interesting commentary! I especially like the goosebumps comment...it is amazing what the Holy Spirit feels like when we feel it. I wish we could all have it more often! We do tend to forget all about John, but he is an important part of the story! It is interesting that a cousin was chosen to begin telling the Good News!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And he accepted the role so willingly - never jealous or feeling bad - even turning disciples away from following him to waiting to follow Jesus!

      Delete
  5. I never really thought of that...turning away the possible following that he could have had! People looked to him as the Messiah, but you're right, he turned them away...takes a strong person to turn away "fame and fortune"

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chapter 1
    I am very happy to be taking part in this exercise. I have learned so much about the Bible in my time at Little Meadows and through the wonders of technology, I am able to continue this journey. I am having surgery on Dec 10, so I will be out of action for a while, but I will either go ahead or catch up.

    1. Why do you think Luke thought it was important to discuss John this much? John baptized Jesus. Luke must have felt it was important to know John’s story as well.
    2. Why do you think it was noted that Zechariah was a priest and Mary was a commoner? God does not play favorites. Elizabeth and Mary shared the same “standing” to God.
    3. Do we jump for joy and are we filled with the Holy Spirit when we are in the presence of Jesus? I’m not sure. I don’t know how to answer this question honestly. Sometimes I feel like I am filled with the Holy Spirit and other times I do not feel that way.
    4. What does this mean? What does this not mean? If Mary is the mother of Jesus, and Jesus is the Son of God, then Mary may be “the Mother of God”. I guess this is true only if you consider Jesus to be God, Himself.



    ReplyDelete
  7. Great to hear from you Jack! I get your feelings in #3 about jumping for joy...sometimes its just hard! I, like you, sometimes feel it and sometimes not. Thanks for the comments!

    ReplyDelete

A Final Post

 Good morning. We did it! The entire New Testament in a year. that is quite a feat! Thank you all for your dedication and work. It wasn'...