Saturday, December 5, 2020

Luke 5

 Luke 5 is string with indications of Jesus' power over nature, sin, and disease. I think we all know these stories that we read in Luke 5, but studying them may give us different perspective on things!

For those of us that are visual/sensory people, Luke writes in such a detailed fashion that it is easy to see/hear/smell what the scene is he is describing. Verse 1 through 5 are a great example of this...imagine being where Luke is describing! We have Jesus calling his first disciples; they (Simon/Peter, James, and John) have probably known Jesus for a year or so. Jesus comments to Simon to throw the net over the side of the boat again. Simon questions the request, calling Jesus "Master" (v 5). I think it was an interesting commentary on Simon (and maybe the author of Luke) that Simon addressed Jesus as Master, rather than friend. Do we see Jesus as Master? As Simon pulls up the net from the sea, it is filled with fish. What a confidence booster from Jesus! How does Jesus boost your confidence? Do you ever feel unworthy (possibly like Simon after failing at fishing) and then something good comes out of what you' re doing? Getting back to Simon addressing Jesus as Master (v 5) and Lord (v 8)-- remember, the Gospels were written well after Jesus' death and resurrection. The author of Luke probably wasn't present at this very scene, but knowing what he did about Jesus, might have added the words Master and Lord in. Regardless, do we address Jesus using these terms? How do we address Jesus? How do we view Jesus?

Some interesting points in verse 12, the man with leprosy asks Jesus "heal me if you will" The man with leprosy questions Jesus willingness not ability! Do we question Jesus' willingness at times, or do we questions Jesus' ability? Jesus then goes on to touch the leper (v 13) to heal him. What?! This would make Jesus ceremonially unclean. The point Jesus is addressing is that people are more important that laws. The man becomes cleaned but Jesus warns/commands the man to not say anything (v 14). Why? I think it is to keep people from thinking Jesus was "just a healer" Your thoughts on this?

Jesus then goes to a quiet place to pray (v 16). Many times, especially in Luke, we see Jesus going away to quiet places or lonely places to pray. What does this tell you about Jesus prayer life? How does that fit with what your prayer life is like?  I know with this reading challenge, I have taken time to sit in my "office", in the quiet, reading and thinking and writing. It has definitely helped!

The next story is about the paralyzed man. One surprising piece I noticed was that "the Lord gave Jesus the power to heal people" (v 17b) Didn't Jesus already have the power to heal? Jesus addresses the man as "friend" (v 20). How would Jesus address you? We aren't sure why the man was paralyzed, but there are may things in our world that may paralyze us. What are some things in your life that paralyze you? Do you have faith enough in Jesus (v 20) to be healed? The man's friends carried him to see Jesus. What great friends! This also speaks to their faith in Jesus! Who would you carry to Jesus to be healed from their paralysis?

The Pharisees had had enough from Jesus and then begin to question His authority! They ask the rhetorical question (v21) "Who is this man speaking as if he were God? Only God can forgive sins." Ummm...yah! That's the point Jesus is making! At the end of this story (v 26), "all the people were amazed and begin to praise God." Do we?

I really like vv 31-32. Jesus' comment "I am not here to heal the well, I am here for the sick!" I have said many times, the church is full of sinners...and that's good!

I struggle with the meaning of the final comments from Jesus (vv 36-39). I think what he is saying is that the old way (Levitical laws, Mosaic laws) are out and the new way (the new covenant) is in. Comments?

Thanks so much for reading and I invite comments and discussion!

Shalom+
Pastor Paul


8 comments:

  1. It was good to read again about the healings of Jesus but I think as I read this again that along with the healing that Jesus was teaching with His healing. Also i think that possibly Jesus didn't want to be known for His healing but for His teachings as once the people heard of His healings they flocked to Him, I think Jesus needed to have time to pray after His teaching to restore His strength and time to pray and thank His Father for the ability to do His work Remembering that Jesus was human His strength needed renewing as we need to rest each day to renew our strength to go on to the next day
    I especially liked Jesus answer to the reason He ate with the sinners as those were the ones would needed helping and saving. Sometimes I think we forget that the sinners (not that we are not all sinners) are the people we need to friend and bring the Light of God to them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great thoughts Clara. It is good to reread things we have read before. We see them differently each time! I like your idea of needing rest. Many of us seem to go and go and go and forget to take some down time and some quiet time! Glad you were able to comment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Again great word pictures in this chapter. It must have been awesome yet terrifying to see so many miracles and not to understand how it’s all happening. I never understand verse 15. Jesus healed many people- publicly. He must have known that many people would hear and come to be healed yet didn’t heal them all. And what about today? How many people are praying to recover from disease? Some will recover and many will not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is confusing...but my take is that even Jesus needed rest! And, to put it in to today's context, maybe healing isn't the "plan" God has? I know I prayed long and hard for my dad to be healed, and was so mad when he died, but then I realized that Dad's life wasn't going to get better and that death was ok...does that make some sense? The goal is for us to learn what we can from what happens and grow stronger in faith. Tough question!

      Delete
  4. Yes I do see Jesus as master,but fall short many times. But if I do good things, and study his word I feel much better. Yes for his the many blessings. V 14 Love these lessons, makes me understand life and Gods way better. Yes as a friend, l hope some times I dought. I think I would carry anyone that ask for help.Hopefully we all praise God at all times,not only in a time of need. The point is that the new teaching of the grace of Christ cannot be contained within the old forms of the law. (JOHN 1:17)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very good commentary! And we all fall short RoseMarie!

      Delete
  5. I know that Master is used a lot in the New Testament, but I am wondering, the abbreviation for Master is Mr. - something we use today to show respect, or address someone we do not know well. Is it possible it comes from that? A term of respect to someone who seems to have authority. I mean, Jesus steps into the boat owned by Simone and yet commands him to launch and let down his nets. I don’t think of Jesus as Master as the meaning is used in our world today - but as Master out of respect. I address Jesus by the name, as well as God by the name God. But I think of Jesus,
    /God as a friend, as a parent, a guardian - someone whose example I should be trying to emulate. Jesus asks the man with leprosy to keep the secret because he had not yet seen the priest and according to Moses commandment he was to do that for their cleansing as a testimony to them. I don’t think it was His time yet to have a confrontation with the Pharisees and the Jewish laws. He was just beginning his ministry. I have always thought that if Jesus took the time to pray, which he did often, so should I. But I do not pray well. I do talk to God - in short conversations, but not in long prayer. My bible says “the power of the Lord was present to heal them.” So here Luke is again forming the trinity - as Jesus was led into the wilderness by the Holy Spirit, here he is given the power to heal by the Lord. I also like the part where the man with leprosy asks - are you willing? Not are you able? Fear paralyzes me - fear to spread the Good News verbally to strangers or those I know who are unbelievers. I don’t get the garment part of the parable at the end of Chapter 5, but the wine I think means - you can’t change part of you (pouring new wine into old bottles) because the part of you that wants change will “fight” against the old part of you and no one wins. But if you change all of you (new wine into new bottles) all of you will be saved. A person says old wine is better because it is easier to live our old sinful life then to try and change every day! I do not praise God enough. I am curious though, since Andrew was a disciple and a brother to Simon, that he is not mentioned here as being there or being a partner to John and James. Is it because he became a disciple to Jesus first? Right after John baptized Jesus/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like your idea of Luke keeping in mind the Trinity! And we all have that fear of talking about Jesus and God...but why?! The garment comment again refers to the old law v the new covenant. When you're patching something, you wouldn't use new cloth for an old garment because they would shrink at different rates...the idea of the old Levitcal laws are now superseded by the new covenant in Jesus...does that help? We hear about Andrew in Luke 6 in the list of apostles...maybe Andrew wasn't there at the time?

    ReplyDelete

A Final Post

 Good morning. We did it! The entire New Testament in a year. that is quite a feat! Thank you all for your dedication and work. It wasn'...