Monday, January 18, 2021

Mark 11

 The chapter begins with Palm Sunday.

Although it may seem like it by reading Mark, this is not Jesus' first trip to Jerusalem. As a devout Jew he was there several other times for Passover and other temple festivals. Notice Jesus has the disciples obtain a colt (v 2) rather than an adult horse. A "real king" would have ridden in on a stallion and be ready to fight. But the disciples don't question his request! The colt was symbolic of peace. Either Jesus had made pre-arrangements or Jesus assumed the town people would know Jesus was asking for the colt (v 3) from his comment "Tell them the Master needs it."Jesus seems so calm; there seems to be little anxiety...if only the disciples knew. 

The Palm Sunday procession begins. This all seems so right after the hate and contempt from the Pharisees (and probably others). If Jesus were to ride through your town today, would he get the same reception? Everyone was shouting and praising Jesus, acknowledging that he was the coming king. For much of Jesus' time, he told people not to call him messiah, not to acknowledge his works- today he is accepting of the praise. This is Jesus' triumphant entry to Jerusalem- triumphant- for a king. People were expecting Jesus to throw over the ruling powers. The reception Jesus received was in preparation for the great battle that was to be fought- after all- Jesus was to save them from the Roman empire! Remember this parade and triumphant entry- as you know...it will change in a few days!

Jesus leaves Jerusalem and goes to Bethany- just outside the city, up on a hill. He looks down over Jerusalem. There are a few summits in the Catskills that you can see the near by town when you are at the top. I have been to a few. It is a breathtaking experience and I often think about the town and what's going on there. This is what Jesus was doing, but also knowing that in a few days he will be crucified. Courage, strength, determination. I wonder what the  disciples are thinking at this point in the day- after all, Jesus was to overthrow the empire...he was a king!

The next morning (Monday) they awaken and we get the confusing parable/story of the fig tree! (We had this story in Luke; I will be teaching on it on January 31). Typically, when fig trees are in leaf, they also have fruits- so this tree was essentially saying "Hey, my leaves are out- so I have fruits" (but it didn't- false advertising!) The tree was cursed for saying one thing (advertising it had fruit) but doing something different (not having fruit). We know people like that- all talk, no action! God desires fruits from good and healthy plants- how are your trees?

Jesus enters the Temple and gets angry with all the profiteering going on- selling animals for sacrifice at an elevated price, exchanging money for high rates. It is like us getting mad when we go to a ball game or event and pay $6 for a bottle of water that should cost less than $1! And this was done in the Court of the Gentiles- the only place where Gentiles were welcome to worship and pray (vv 17). How may this be similar to our churches- not welcoming of outsiders?

The next morning (Tuesday), as they are walking past the fig tree, the disciples notice that it is withered and dead (v 20-21)! The response from Jesus (v 22) is confusing, but is essentially saying- pray with faith in God and the disciples should have that kind of faith. The essence of these verses is to remind us to have faith and trust in God. Remember Mary's prayer- anything is possible wit God! 

As Jesus and the disciples get to the Temple, the Pharisees ask about Jesus' authority (v 27- 28)! Oh no! Jesus responds with "I will answer your question if you answer mine!" Jesus has been quite bold and courageous coming in to Jerusalem and disrupting the Temple- kind of stirring the pot (as the Pharisees see it). Ever have a newer person come to your church and start doing some things that "stir up the pot"? How do you respond? How does the church respond? The Pharisees get caught (v 30+). If John's authority for baptizing came from God, then John was right about Jesus being the Messiah! If John didn't have authority from God then they would have the whole area rise up against them! It wasn't a trap by Jesus- just a thought question for the Pharisees to realize Jesus was the Messiah! I love their response (v 33), "Oh, never-mind!" This is the response when people have to face the truth at times- they don't want to accept the facts and do what they can to look away. I cold just imagine their grumbling and commentary as they left Jesus! If you ask Jesus for an answer/response- you had better be ready to hear it! 

Some great stories- that we have probably heard often- but it does us good to see them and think about hem in the context of the story of Jesus!

I hope you enjoyed your weekend! Keep reading! You're all doing a great job!!

Shalom+
Pastor Paul


12 comments:

  1. Jesus must have had a prior agreement with the owners of the colt I can't imagine now in these days someone going to a farm and just taking the colt and saying their master needed it. Anyhow the colt was obtained and Jesus rode it into Jerusalem under wonderful praise from the people. I think they thought that Jesus was going to get rid of the Romans for them.
    the next day Jesus goes to the temple and destroys the vendors' goods that they are selling in the temple telling telling that it is God'd house and is a house of prayer for all nations. I find this very interesting as Jesus didn't label the temple as a place for only Jews but a place for ALL NATIONS to pray.
    The parable of the fig tree at first was a little confusing to me as why would jesus curse a tree something that God had made? Thinking more about it I think that Jesus was saying that the was like the temple it wasn't producing fruit as the temple wasn't being used for prayer That is you have faith and believe truly believe and have faith that you can move mountains but first all sins and grudges must be gone and you must have no doubt that God can do whatever it can be done. Prayer can answer all if it is God's will I know God answers prayers however from personal experience i know that it may not be answered in the way we think it will be.
    The religious leaders continue to try to trap Jesus but they can't answer jesus questions out of fear from the people at this time (its amazing that the people are all for Jesus now but shortly will be against him Oh what fickle traits we humans have. Reminds me of the people who riot and etc also the ones that broke into the Capitol and destroyed things. It only sometimes takes one person to start and insurrection.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like your thought about Jesus wanting all nations to pray! There was a place in the temple for the gentiles (called the court of the gentiles) but the simple fact that Jesus wants all nations is important!
      And you are right about the fig tree- God wants fruits- not just showy leaves! We should be in it for making fruit, mot just looking good to or neighbors!
      Good point- prayer is't answered the way we want or think-- it is how God thinks/ wants!
      Great points CLara!

      Delete
  2. I think that the people heard Jesus was coming to help them,so they only wanted to help an let the colt go. The people hailed, Jesus, but a few days later would desert him. The fig tree means if you don't believe and produce, not doubt my word, you will receive what ever you ask for in prayer. This is the second time that Jesus cleaned out the temple of buying and selling. Jesus said this will be a house of prayer for all nation's. I think Jesus responds was great, it's not man's way but Gods.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you are right= the people of Jerusalem wanted to do whatever they could to help Jesus...but they were looking for a government overthrow! That's probably one reason for the riots and the "Crucify him" screams at the end of the chapter-- Jesus didn't do as they were expecting!
      And right- Jesus is looking for fruits- nit just show!
      Good points RoseMarie!

      Delete
  3. A couple of comments today.
    When reading about the fig tree, vs 23 says “Truly I tell you, if you say to a mountain, “be taken up and thrown into the sea,’ and if you do not doubt in your heart, but believe that what you say will come to pass, it will be done for you. 24- so I tell you, whatever I ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours. Wow- am I just too literal? I just can’t believe that if I wanted a mountain to be thrown into the sea that it would be. What am I missing here?
    I find pastors question about a person “stirring the pot” interesting. I’m afraid I am a pot stirrer lol. I once told someone “if you ask me to do something make sure that you really want it done.” Ha ha. Maybe that’s why I like seeing Jesus as a “pot stirrer”.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good point-- I should have clarified-- the saying "move a mountain" was used to define something that was unattainable or impossible to do. The point of that statement from Jesus is to trust God- completely- in all things. And like Clara said earlier- just because we pray doesn't mean God will answer it the way we want or think!
    Thanks for calling me out too! I am a pot stirrer! And so was Jesus. Jesus was not there to keep that status quo- Jesus was there to shake things up...sometimes things need to be shaken!
    Good points Cathy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am going to back track again...
    First of all I am so enjoying everyone’s comments. I find myself thinking oh I didn’t think of it that way or that’s what I thought. On Friday I agree with Donna I wish there were more stories about what Jesus preached along with the miracles. As far as divorce, I have been very fortunate to have been married for almost 40 years to a very good man. We all go through stuff but we have been able to work together. Not everyone is so lucky and I believe god understands this.
    This week I found the fig tree and the mountain readings confusing but after reading the comments it helps put it into perspective. The welcoming others is so important. I have a very dear friend who struggled with his sexuality as a young man. When he accepted that he was gay his pastor told him he would have to leave his church. He was heart broken. I have another friend of color who joined a church I use to attend and she told me her family felt so welcome there though they were the only family of color there.
    Welcoming outsiders and others is so important.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome back!!
      One positive of Bible study/ discussion is that we get an opportunity to expand our thoughts and see things from a different perspective. It is good to read the Bible, but to hear other people's thoughts adds a different dimension!
      Marriage is hard. We have been together almost 34 years- some days have been great, some not so much! God is understanding and sometimes people just can't make it happen./
      The fig tree is confusing! I am teaching on that parable on Sunday, Jan 31!
      The church does more hurt than good sometimes! I remember an Easter worship many years ago. A former student of mine came. We celebrated communion. She came to me after worship, in tears, saying that is the first time she was "allowed" to take communion- her priest told her she wasn't welcome as she was gay. I knew she was, but people know how to hurt people!
      Thanks for sharing Cindy!

      Delete
  6. I also think that Jesus rode in on a donkey because a donkey symbolized peace and being humble. Jesus also entered (according to tradition) trough the East Gate - sortof the back door.. It has been estimated, according to historical counts, that there were between 80,000 to 100,000 people living in Jerusalem normally - but during Passover, when Jesus entered, there were hundreds of thousands - Jews and Gentiles. So I am thinking, given the limited area covered by Jesus and the disciples during His ministry, that most of these people had not heard of Jesus and did not know who He was. Those that did know, I think, were the ones that greeted Him as He entered. But many more greeted Pontus Pilate as he entered with “pomp and circumstance.” I think the ones that did not know Jesus or who Jesus was, might have been the ones calling for His cruciixion. In any point of our history, you will never find a moment where everyone is in agreement about who was right and who was wrong - not in any of our wars or in any of our political leaders. I think it was the same then. And everyone was looking for something from Jesus - something that some of them did not get because they had it wrong. Honestly, you would almost have to believe that Jesus was exactly who He said He was - or He was a little bit off - claiming to be the Son of God. So if there was a parade today for such a person, I am just not sure how people would react. I am not even sure how I would react. I think Jesus knew the donkey would be where He said it was as He knew all things - that they could feed 5,000 and then 4,000, that He could do miracles, that He was going to be crucified, the He could curse a fig tree and it would die. He just knew. And I also agree with the comments made here - we SAY we are disciples, we SAY we are Christians - then where is our fruit? I have to say, sometimes I am doing well in producing fruit - sometimes, not so well. Churches are not always as welcoming as they think they are - and I think the example that Cindy gives is so very sad! And probably something we all need to work on. I absolutely LOVE Jesus’ response to the Pharisees’ question about His authority!!! Pastor Paul, in response to your comment about Heaven being a gift we do not need to do anything for - then what is Hell for? If we are all going to Heaven no matter what, what does it matter? Many places Jesus says you need to believe - but that’s a verb - an action, right? Or am I way off the track?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good points to bring out about the Palm Sunday entrance Donna.And the number of people would have been overwhelming= at a point, crowd mentality takes over too! Lots of good thoughts here!
      Fruit is sometimes hard to produce isn't it. I agree- sometimes I do well, other tomes,not so much!
      Grace is a gift- we need to accept that gift. Heaven is the result of that acceptance of grace and forgiveness. We can choose not to accept those gifts- that's where Hell comes in- in my mind. Acceptance of grace helps us become more Christ like and do the actions that Christ would do-- believe is a verb, and the actions are doing good. Just my commentary!
      You make some great points Donna!

      Delete
  7. Regarding the fig tree: When I first read it, I wondered if Jesus was mad at the tree for not having figs and he simply destroyed it. This does not sound like the Jesus I have read about for all these years. Jesus was not an angry and vindictive man who would just tell a tree (or any living thing) to "take a hike", which is the nicest thing that comes to mind. No, Jesus was a loving, caring soul and this was very out of character for Him. So I am confused by the episode, especially when, the next morning, it appears that the tree has died. Will Jesus do this to us if we step out of line? This sounds like the "cancel culture" which is getting so much air time on today's news.

    I think that Jesus was totally justified in throwing the money changers out of the temple and reclaiming it for those who pray. His answer to their question on who's authority He did it on takes me back to the fig tree question. Again, the answer is confusing (to me, anyway). It is obvious that the elders give no answer, but, again, Jesus sounds vindictive in His response: If you won't tell me, why should I tell you??? Again, this sounds out of character for Jesus. I am missing something here. What is it? Maybe He sounds like this because He knows what is coming. I don't know. I like Clara's comment on this. She seems to have understood it better than I (please remember my previous comments on symbolism and my lack of understanding).

    Even though the posting time is quite late, it is still before midnight here in the Wild West!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think the fig tree incident is the only place in the gospels that Jesus makes something wither and die...very different from the Jesus we want to know- right?! We do see anger from Jesus though- turning the tables in the Temple, and we do see frustration lots. All human emotions! I will be teaching on the fig tree on Sunday, January 31- be sure to join us!
    Jesus is probably getting very anxious and frustrated with people. I think we are beginning to see a very human side of Jesus with these stories- and for some people- it may be upsetting. Part of Jesus not answering was that the Pharisees knew what the answer was- Jesus gets his authority from God, but they (the Pharisees) didn't/ couldn't acknowledge that- they had to save face in front of the "religious authority" and other temple attendants.
    Ahh...life in the Wild West!
    Thanks for the notes and comments Jack!

    ReplyDelete

A Final Post

 Good morning. We did it! The entire New Testament in a year. that is quite a feat! Thank you all for your dedication and work. It wasn'...