Friday, February 12, 2021

Philippians 2

 I'm not sure how your Bible has it written, but the first verse in mine (New Century Version) is: "Does your life in Christ give you strength? Does his love comfort you? Do we share together in the spirit? Do you have mercy and kindness?" Ask yourself these questions! How do you relate to them? Paul's big push here is do things out of love and respect- not for selfish gain. All too often we see people looking out for themselves and what can they do to be better than everyone else. Does this happen in the church too? Paul ends these first verses with the idea of humbleness; country music artist Tim McGraw wrote a song in 2015 "Always Be Humble and Kind" (Always Be Humble and Kind). If you have time, click the YouTube link and listen to it. Why is it hard to be humble and kind?

There is some thought that the next set of verses (vv 5-11) were actually a hymn used in the ancient church; there is some evidence that Paul was also very poetic and he may have just written this as is- without borrowing from the hymn. Either way, the idea is that Jesus was the symbol of humbleness and kindness and that we should strive to be like him as much as we can. There are more qualities in Christ- but these are the ones Paul needed for the Philippians to hear. When I think about these qualities- I think about how I fit in them and how others may see me fit into them. Do I act like Jesus? Do I give up things so others can have? Am I a servant? Am I obedient to God?am I humble? How do you respond to these thoughts? We say we need to be more like Jesus, but it is hard in this world to be that way and survive! Why do people take advantage of the humble and kind?

Paul calls the Philippians to task and reminds them to obey God as Jesus obeyed God (v 8). He encourages them to live out their lives and show that they are saved people. TO continue to live the life that Paul expects and that Jesus expects- even when Paul isn't around. It is interesting how some people act one way when someone (of authority or maybe a pastor!) is present, but then are different when that person (of authority or the pastor) is gone!Why are people like that?

I like v 14 (NCV translation): "Do everything without complaining or arguing" How many times do we go through life complaining, grumbling, and moaning about how bad something is?! I bring this up often in my messages! Why do we do that? Paul says something that we all know- we are living in a world with mean people (v 15b), but we shine like stars in the night. Stars that light up the dark sky- that's one of our jobs- to light up the darkness! Are you a shining star? Paul reminds them to keep teaching and keep doing the work of God- and do it happily! How can we attract people to God if we whine and complain about the work?!

Our lives will be like a sacrifice to God (v 17). Some translations say (NASB): "I am being poured out as a drink offering upon the sacrifice and service of your faith..." remembering that both Jews and pagans poured wine either on or near their animal sacrifice. The idea was when the sacrifice was burned the wine added a sweet smell to the smoke- pleasing to God. Our lives are like that wine- a sweet smelling sacrifice to God-- pleasing to God. Do you feel your life is a sacrifice to God? Is it always sweet smelling?

In the closing verses (vv 19- 30) of this chapter, Paul talks of Timothy (someone we hear lots about with Paul) and Epaphroditus (someone who may be new to us). Timothy traveled many places with Paul and is often seen as his second hand man...filling in when Paul can't be someplace (like now) Remember, Paul is in prison (probably in Rome) and likely to be executed soon for telling the people about Christ. When he knows what his fate will be, then he will send Timothy out on a mission. Epaphroditus  is probably from Philippi and was sent from them as a messenger to Paul (probably bringing him the collection they had gathered). Apparently, Epaphroditus got quite sick and almost died while he was with Paul (vv 26- 27). Paul, in the brief time together with Epaphroditus  built a strong relationship; Paul calls him brother (v 25a), hard worker (v 25a) and soldier of Christ (v 25b). He reminds the Philippians to greet him well as he is a worker for Christ (v 29). If someone were to talk about you- what words would they use?

Great beginning to this letter. I love the positivity and the love Paul exudes for his people in Philippi. Remember, we have the weekend off. We will read chapter 3 on Monday.

Have a good weekend. We are off to see Lauren and Chris and Joseph until Sunday morning. I will respond to your chapter 1 comments sometime this weekend...sorry I cant get to them this moring. Stay warm!

Shalom+
Pastor Paul


10 comments:

  1. Paul reminds the Philippians to love one another and work for the unity of the church, to be humble and kind, to live life without complaining, to live your lives as much like Jesus as you can. I think for the most part i am kind to people that was one thing that was necessary for me especially with my line of work. I was always quite shy around people specially meeting new people i tended to stay with in my own group of friends when I was at any function but I'm not sure that is the same as being humble although it could seem similar. The only time I didn't feel that way was when I was working and caring for others as I felt very confident in what I did. As far as grumbling and complaining that was quite often what I did when I was a teen as I thought that I had to do a lot of work on the farm and in the home but as i got older I was so thankful that I had to help with the family things (cooking washing ironing caring for my younger siblings etc) I was all set to take care of my own home from those lessons.
    So at times I feel I did what Paul was telling the Philippians to do.
    There seems to be a lot of I's in this comment so that is certainly not being very humble.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is hard to be humble at times! Confidence and humbleness are two different aspects...you can be confident at caring for others, and hopefully not too pompous about it!
      Thanks fro sharing Clara!

      Delete
  2. Paul doesn’t want us to be boastful, arrogant, or argumentative. But we all know what it feels like to be unnoticed, aggravated, or jealous. We try to do things for the “right” reasons. Living as Paul teaches doesn’t fit very well in the “me first” society that we live in. We feel foolish if we don’t stand up for our selves or fight for what we think we’re entitled to. To me, the only answer is to pray for balance. To pray to be happy today and not when I accomplish more and more.
    It’s amazing how even a small act of kindness can change someone’s day. It doesn’t take much effort to notice that someone is having a bad day and could use a kind word or a smile. Hopefully we all know someone who we feel better just being around because they really listen to us or always have an encouraging word. I strive to be that person for others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is difficult doing things and not being recognized- it is always hard to want that recognition, yet know we don't need to be boastful! Tough decisions on how far to go!
      Balance is hard at times though- isn't it!
      A small act of kindness goes a long way, doesn't it!
      Thanks Cathy!

      Delete
  3. Every time I hear the Tim McGraw song Humble and Kind I try to really stop and pay attention to the words. Am I living my life this way? Yes Cathy a simple act of kindness can truly change someone’s day! Do everything without complaining...I’m sure I do not. I know that Cathy is someone who makes a difference in many people’s lives with her work at the library and the kindness she shows to all.
    Pastor Paul enjoy your family weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like to complain a lot! Especially to my wife!
      It is hard to be humble and kind all the time- but it is a measure we can strive for!
      Thanks for your thoughts Cindy!
      (And Cathy showed kindness to me by getting me my first library card!)

      Delete
  4. I think of my life today has to do with knowing God as a child. He made me a servant, always enjoyed helping others. I like to be with people of many interest,but have learned to keep the lid on the mouth. Satan can step in and rune your day. Always remember Gods way kindness, humbleness and love at all times. I know in our world today it's hard. Thank you Pastor Paul, am glad for these studies, for it keeps me focused. Will pray for Duane and Petie, please all keep safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much of who we are comes from our childhood knowing God- or at least being influenced by God (I wasn't raised in the church- so didn't really "know" God).
      Thanks for your thoughts and comments Rose Marie-

      Delete
  5. We have been bad. We didn't read Chapters 1 and 2 of Philippians until last night. I am commenting on (probably) both of them here.

    I am still amazed that Paul has written all this (and it has survived!) while he was incarcerated. I cannot fathom what Roman prisons were like in those days, but the continuation of human life could not have been a big priority for them. Incredible!!

    Paul is quite humble toward the Philippians. It is not at all like the anger he displayed toward the Galatians. I do not know why he was so angry then, and so kind in his words toward the Philippians now.

    You mentioned COVID-19 in Chapter 1’s notes. [Start of rant.] I feel sometimes that I am in prison as a result of this pandemic. I do not want to live like this. I want this whole thing to go away. The sooner the better. Tomorrow is not soon enough! [End of rant.] I doubt that I am any different from anybody else. I am one of the fortunate ones who does not have COVID-19. I pray that neither Rhea nor I or anybody in my family gets this awful disease. We both know people who have died of this disease.

    Paul has the correct attitude toward his incarceration and his life when he says that death will bring him closer to Christ. I am not ready to think of death just yet, but I hope and pray that when the time is near, that I will also feel that I will be going to be nearer to God and Jesus. A man I used to work with in the Tuxedo business once told me that he is not afraid of dying. I can’t say that. I am scared stiff of it.

    Neither the New International Version nor the Jerusalem Bible start Chapter 2 with the questions you state above. They both have comforting words, however. Both translations have the word “humility” in their subtitles. I listened to Tim McGraw’s song and it, too was strong on humility, a trait that all of us could practice, especially a few folks in Washington, DC, whose names I will not mention. It is difficult for us to be humble and kind as our egos get in the way.

    I am a complainer. That is who I am. I wish I wasn’t one, but I firmly believe that I picked it up for my mother. (I shouldn’t blame her for my shortcomings.) I wish I knew another way, but I don’t. There are times, however, that I feel like a “shining star.” These times are most often when I am doing God's work, either by food pantry, working around the church or transporting dogs for rescue shelters to name a few. I know that I have to work to make the shining star take the place of the complainer. I hope and pray that the task of reading the New Testament will help me achieve this goal.

    Rhea is way ahead of me here. She has read the New Testament and she is now reading the Old Testament in chronological order.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also am amazed at the tenacity Paul had to be imprisoned and yet continue his writing campaign!
    We will see Paul's anger come out a few times! Some churches needed to hear angry words, some needed to hear happy words; some needed to be corrected, some needed encouragement.
    We all are feeling some sense of "imprisonment" with this pandemic- it is hard, our lives are definitely different, we want normal back!
    Humbleness and egos do not go together do they!
    Jack, we all complain some (except me- you know me- I never complain!) but as long as we can find some positivity in things, we can grow!
    Go Rhea!!
    Thanks for the comments and honesty Jack!

    ReplyDelete

A Final Post

 Good morning. We did it! The entire New Testament in a year. that is quite a feat! Thank you all for your dedication and work. It wasn'...