Monday, February 15, 2021

Philippians 3

 Good morning and welcome back! Great weekend visiting our grandson in State College!

Paul's first words (v 1) are "Be full of joy!" This could be the title of the entire letter! It is tough sometimes to be full of joy though, isn't it? But Paul continues with "in the Lord." So, don't be full of joy with the way things are, your circumstances, the situations you face- be full of joy in the Lord! That should be easy to do- correct? 

Paul then switches to some very harsh words in v 2. watch out for those who do evil (a reference to those that are against the followers of Christ and try to derail the cause at all costs), the dogs (a reference to the Gentiles that have not yet converted to following Christ) and those who demand to cut the body (referring to the Jews that still demand circumcision for followers of Christ; for them, the only way to Christ was through the Laws and circumcision). Paul counters these with the words "We are the ones truly circumcised" (v 3). What he means is we are united with the Holy Spirit, Jesus and God, so there is no need for physical cutting (circumcision). Have confidence that you are united with Christ; confidence withe flesh (i.e. humans) is weak. Do we feel that connection with Christ?

Paul then begins to list how he had confidence in the flesh (v 5). First- his birthright (circumcision, a Jew from the tribe of Benjamin; a distinguished tribe because Sal came from that line; good Israel stock- an ancestor of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob)-- all good points- but they still don't match being one with Christ. Second, Paul lists his personal decisions (v 6): a Pharisee (an elitist group devoted to following the Laws); blameless and righteous, persecution of the Christians. The point Paul is trying to make-- if anyone was able to please God, it would have been Paul because of all that he represented. Do you know people that like to list off their accomplishments so they sound "worthy" of God? 

Paul then goes on to say (v 8-10) that all of those things are worth nothing because he never really knew Christ- all his work was for naught once he realized who Christ was and what Christ stood for. All of the "fleshly" works mean nothing without knowledge of Christ. Paul gained so much more with this knowledge of Christ and then therefor God and the Holy Spirit. How does that resonate with you? Paul says that his entire life was a loss because he didn't have knowledge of Christ. Paul has a desire (want, v 10) to know Christ and to know God. 

Sadly, many Christian leaders have the feeling that they have attained maximum "Christian-ship" (v 12), but Paul says he still has lots of work to do! Do you know people that think they have attained completion/complete sanctification? German theologian Johan Heinrich Ludwig Muller once wrote: “Just as a little child is a perfect human being, but still is far from perfect in all his development as man, so the true child of God is also perfect in all parts, although not yet perfect in all the stages of his development in faith.” This is what Paul is saying! Paul says (vv 13-14)  to let the past be the past and press on, continue to strive for excellence, continue to live for God, continue to love like Christ. I can think of a few people that think they are doing "growing" in Christ and would argue these words of Paul! How about you? Paul says that if you are spiritually mature, you know the need for continued progression to life in Christ (v 15) and he calls his friends to do the same. Can you?

The closing of this chapter has Paul suggesting that his friends follow the model that Paul as set forth (vv 17- 21). Paul isn't showing off or being an ego-maniac; what Paul is saying is, "Hey, look at me, I once that I was all that- and I realized I had more growing and learning and loving to do. I definitely am not perfect, but I am continuing to progress in that direction." Do you have a model to follow (other than Christ, of course!)? Paul says we all know people that are going off track, and they may even try to take us with them- but stay string and stay on the right path with God. 

The journey is long, but we know that it will result in a pace in heaven for all of us (v 20). In my translation (New Century Version), Paul uses the word "homeland" while some translations use the phrase "we are citizens" or "our citizenship is in heaven..." How does that make you feel, knowing that your eventual homeland, your true citizenship, is heaven? Keep listening to God.

Enjoy the snow and whatever else is coming our way. Be safe!

Reminder- Ash Wednesday is this week. We will broadcast via FB live beginning at 7PM.

Shalom+
PastorPaul



15 comments:

  1. I guess I never thought about it but the believers of old that thought circumcision was the way to salvation would have only been men They didn't think much of women and slaves it was apparent ,but did they not think that those would have salvation? Paul changed the thought from that to teaching of Jesus and the Good News, that belief and faith in Christ was the way to salvation. Rejoice all women and slaves as well as the uncircumcised. Paul then tells that we should strive to be like him meaning to be more like Jesus and live to become righteous in faith so we can be accepted into heaven with our Heavenly Father. We should strive for perfection as Jesus was perfect, trying hard to become more like Christ. Paul does say that he is not perfect but he is trying. That's what we need to do try for that kind of perfection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point Clara! There was no indication for a woman to be in the covenant; my guess is- if your husband was then you were too (women were essentially the property of their husband).
      Strive for perfection- always- but know we may never get there in our full life!
      Great thoughts Clara!
      And photos will be coming!!

      Delete
  2. Glad to hear you had a great time with family this last weekend Hope to see some photos of that grandson soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Continued progress to life in Christ...am I continuing to grow in my faith? I hope so!
    I have learned so much from our group and pastor Paul. It is exciting to keep on learning be it in my faith or other aspects of my life. I am reading Alexander Hamilton and learning a lot about American History. I definitely was not paying attention in High School! I actually have several friends that I met through church many years ago that I do admire their faith and how they live their lives. I think it is very comforting to think of heaven as my homeland.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is good to always be learning! Hamilton is a good author-- I have used a few of his books as Bible study. I am taking enrolled in a course of study (part of my requirements as a licensed pastor for continuing education). The class is on the Reformation in Europe and England- and it is quite interesting. Like you said, Cindy, I never paid attention in high school, but it isn't too bad right now! Writing the papers is a different story though!
      I admire faithful people too...and I hope to be there some day!
      Great comments Cindy- thanks!

      Delete
  4. Now, Jack, it is my turn to confess! I read Chapter 2 but I have been at my daughter's in Philly all weekend and just didn't have a moment to comment. So both Chapter 2 and 3 are here! I loved in Chapter 2 how Paul said that Jesus could have come to us as anything - including a God. How easy it would have been for Jesus if he had come as a God! But, instead, he came to us as a lowly servant. And not only a lowly servant but also a person who was going to suffer a horrific death. But Jesus lived that life in total obedience to God, including suffering the death for us. I think Paul is trying to tell the Philippians, and us, that we should also be dedicating our lives to the glory of God and in total obedience. I think Paul was very sad to see Epaphroditus leave him - but glad that he was well enough to go. I have mentioned several times that there have been incidents in my past that I am not too proud of so I was very happy to read vs. 13 in Chapter 3 "Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind and reaching forth unto those things which are before. " I can almost imagine Paul speaking to me! Although Paul immediately changed when he became acquainted with Jesus, I knew Jesus all my life and although I was just a child when I first learned, at some point in my adult life I should have rededicated myself to living my life to God and living as God (and Paul) told us we should. That's why I cannot say I am done learning and growing and thank heavens I'm not!! I am glad, Pastor Paul, that you shed some light on Paul's comments in vs. 3 when Paul says "...we are the circumcision." I wasn't quite sure what he meant. Thanks. Now that I am at the point in my life where I am downsizing, I often wonder why I thought they were important to "own" in the first place. Although I understand our "nesting" nature, I totally get what Paul is referring to - what is really important? God and how we live!! Paul in both this letter and the one to the Ephesians is Very clear how we are to live! And how great God is. Paul is also pretty clear about how he feels about that - letter to Ephesians is on the angry side, letter to Philippians full of joy! PS - Pastor, I notice you did not comment on my thoughts on Thursday. Am I way off track - or do we need a conversation :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of Paul's biggest themes, in all his letters, is total obedience- regardless of the effects it may have. He comments often that he is in prison for the work of God and will continue to do that work!
      Christ does cause changes in people- maybe not as radical as in Paul, but there are changes. (That's a message coming up in a few weeks)
      Thanks for the comments, Donna
      And PS- I didn't comment on anyone from Thursday- I am behind from our trip to State College and trying to get caught up! Will get to them today!!

      Delete
  5. Does anyone but me feel sorry for Paul? He gave up being Jewish and probably his family. He spent his life trying to spread Christianity throughout a large region. He tries to convince people to live the most godly lives they can. For all this he ends up in prison. It seems he is sad because he never met Jesus and even wished his life would end so that he could be in heaven with Jesus. I don't see the joy in this letter. I see a very obsessed person willing to give up his life for a cause. What would happen if this was happening today? Is it happening today? Many people are turned off by anyone who is stridently talking about a cause.
    These are just my thoughts. I hope this doesn't offend anyone. Please let me know if I'm not understanding things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When you think about it, Paul suffered nothing more then the 11 apostles. I don’t think Paul was married but I think with his experience with Jesus (coming to him in a vision and talking to him) he was more determined - especially considering what Paul did to Christians prior to this. I am thinking Paul was still Jewish and according to Acts Paul still considered himself as a Roman - which gave him a better status as a prisoner. I think better then the apostles suffered. It is sad he never met Jesus in the flesh. It is an interesting thought - what about Paul’s family.

      Delete
    2. Interesting thoughts Cathy! I see your point- there could be lack of joy because he never had an opportunity to be with Christ (keep in mind his Damascus road experience with the risen Christ though! Acts 9:1-19, Acts 22:6-21, Acts 26:12-18). I think his conversion really impacted him though and he does find joy and happiness- even in prison,because he can continue to minister to the guards.
      Paul was not married-- in fact he had some quite negative feelings about women! But Paul was a Jew and he did probably alienate his family- unless they converted too? We don't have evidence of that. (I don't think!)
      Great thoughts Cathy- and you are not off base for thinking what you did! Good observations!

      Delete
  6. Paul wants us to have joy, no matter what, and watch out for those dogs, men and their evil deeds. Boast about what Christ has done for us and trust in him to save us. Live your life like mine, for there are many enemies of the Cross of Christ. Paul makes it sound simple, why do I make it hard? Don't look to the past, but make plans for the future, he will change us into glorious bodies like his own. There is a saying why worry when you can pray.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paul does make things sound so simple doesn't he!
      I like the comment- why worry when you can pray. That will preach!!
      Good comments Rose Marie!

      Delete
  7. It is interesting in this chapter to see Paul confess, and I believe that the is confessing from the heart, that he is waiting to become closer to Jesus. In other words, he is waiting for his death so he can truly be with Jesus. He believes that his whole life has been a waste since he hasn't given himself over to God. I am not making excuses for my behavior, but I think that in order to do good with God, you may first have to be one of those "dogs", or whatever whom he despises. Does this sound reasonable? I like Rose's comment above. She says there are many enemies of the Cross of Christ. There are truly many enemies of those who do good. If there is one thing I have learned in recent years is that there is soooo much hatred in this world. I am sure that this was true in Jesus time. His crucifixion is testimony to this statement, unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree that Paul really wants to meet Jesus...so do I. It would be a great conversation and meeting!
    Hmmm...interesting thought about being a dog, Jack! Never thought of it that way!
    Great comments Jack! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

A Final Post

 Good morning. We did it! The entire New Testament in a year. that is quite a feat! Thank you all for your dedication and work. It wasn'...