Thursday, May 20, 2021

2 Thessalonians 1

 Good morning! I hope you all had a great day yesterday! My day was spent in the Catskills doing a bit of walking. My hike ended up being almost 7.5 miles with an elevation gain of 2243'. I hit four of the mountains in the "Black Head Range": Caudal (3320') [Caudal means "tail" and this mountain is the last in the specific range I was hiking], Camel's Hump (3546'), Thomas Cole (3943'), and Black Dome (3980')-- I couldn't get the last one in Blackhead- way too tired! Thomas Cole is capped with a balsam forest (as are many of the high peaks in the Cats)...it smelled like Christmas! Through much of the hike, there was a black swallowtail butterfly that stayed by me; my mom would always say that a butterfly was my dad checking in on me; now the butterfly is both mom and dad, and they did the walk with me!

Now, it is back to work!!

I didn't post an introduction for 2 Thessalonians last night...there isn't much to add from 1 Thessalonians! This second epistle was written soon after (within months) of Paul's writing the first letter; still in Corinth. The Thessalonians must have had a question, as this letter is brief (3 chapters) and focuses on one thing: the "day of the Lord" had not yet happened and the people need to keep growing in faith and "prepare" for the day of salvation- even in the face of persecution.

Paul begins his letter with his typical greeting: who the letter is from, who it is written to, and the prayer if peace and grace to the church. We know that Paul traveled with Timothy and Silas often, so it isn't surprising to see their name here. It is interesting to note that Paul mentions God, and then adds Father and Lord Jesus Christ- symbolizing the unity of these two deities. The Holy Spirit hasn't yet been incorporated into Paul's theology in that sense!

Paul seems to be obligated to praise the church (v 3) by saying "We must always give thanks..." (NCV); there is some thought that locals were spreading rumors that Paul wasn't in favor of the church in Thessalonica, so he felt as if he needed to remind them they are loved. He emphasized that their faith and love for others has increased- even in the face of persecution. When we are persecuted by others (or at least "not liked") does our faith and love grow? The church is used as an example to others and Paul seems to be boasting about them (v 4).

Even with the suffering and persecution they are undergoing, Paul reminds them that God is present (v 5-6). I think we forget that God is present when we struggle. Paul is saying that their struggles are evidence of the presence of God, God's righteous judgement. Paul sees the persecution and troubles like the fires of a refiner...it burns away all the impurities and what is left is pure and precious. The troubles that the Thessalonians are facing leave them pure and holy. Paul assures them that God will take care of those that persecute (vv 6b-7); leave the judging to God and God will judge appropriately. The fires of tribulation will destroy those that persecute and purify those that are sanctified. 

Paul begins to give us an indication of "hell" and what that will look like: lack of knowledge and love for God (vv 8-9). I am troubled by the words "...God will punish those that don't know God..." (v 8a). I struggle with the fact that people that don't know God will be punished; is it their fault they don't know? I guess that points to us for edification! It isn't the fire that makes hell what it is; remember the story from Daniel 3 and the fiery furnace. It is the lack of God and and no presence of Jesus that makes hell what it is! Paul reminds them that they will be blessed and will find comfort in God on the day of Christ's return- because of their belief (v 10). Faith brings salvation.

The Thessalonians were in the midst of persecution; Paul reminds them that they are being prayed for constantly (v 11). We have talked about the power of prayer before, so we know how the Thessalonians feel upon hearing this. God calls and has high expectation for a good and faithful and upstanding life (v 11); God will help you with that calling too!

This first chapter really has an uplifting sense to it. The Thessalonians are being persecuted because of their faith and Paul knows what that is all about. He is trying to tell them that they are strong in faith and that  faith will help them get through this and be ready for judgement day. 

Tomorrow's reading continues with the evil things coming from the "Man of Evil" (NCV). There is a reminder at the end of the chapter that the Thessalonians were chosen for salvation though!

I have a meeting at 9AM, so will respond to comments from the last two days later this morning. Sorry for the delay.

Enjoy the day and know that we are blessed.

Shalom+
Pastor Paul


9 comments:

  1. No one starts a letter like Paul does! Just reading the first few verses make you feel better!

    When Paul says in vs. 3 "We are bound to thank God always for you, brethren,..." it does remind me that I don't often thank God for the people He puts in my live. I ask for blessings for them, but I don't often thank God specifically for a person. When I am abused by someone (verbally), I don't think my faith grows. I do talk to God more, I lean on Him more, but I am not sure it grows. Unfortunately, my love for that person does not grow. I do have a difficult time with that.

    I like the image you portray when you say that trials and tribulations burn away the impurities and leave the pure! I will try to remember that the next time things do not go well! It does remind me of what Paul said in Romans 5 - that tribulations lead to patience, patience to experience and experience to hope and hope strengthens our faith.

    In the commentary in my Bible (KJV) - it says for vs. 8 that when Paul says those that do not know God he is not referring to those who have never heard of the true God but to those who refuse to recognize Him - that the gospel invites acceptance and rejection is disobedience to a royal invitation. Which makes sense because Paul says in Romans that those that know of God will be punished if they do not follow God and the more they know the more harsh the punishment. But those that have never heard will be punished according to their disobedience of the natural laws (like the pagans) - am I remembering this correctly? So I am thinking the sin does not belong to those that have never heard but on us who have heard but do not tell the Good News! That sin is mine.

    Hell - a separation from God - which, I think, means forever without love, kindness, God's Grace. What a punishment for sin. However, I think Methodists should start reminding us that there is a punishment for sin - I know - not the current thought - but.....

    Whenever Paul says things like vs. 2 "God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ" - I don't think he is making them one - I always feel he is listing them individually - like - Grace unto you, and peace, from our Pastor Paul and congregant Donna.

    Kudos to you Paul on your hike!! And thank you for the info. on Paul's timeline a few days ago. I hope to read it this weekend!

    Enjoy another beautiful day everyone

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with your first comment- I love reading the introductions to Paul's letters- so full of grace and love!
      The concept of the refiner's fire is common in the texts. It was something that people were familiar with, so it was a good analogy to the fires of life that we go through!
      Yes, you remember the Romans passage correctly. Thanks for that reminder! I have mentioned several times- being a disciple and then in turn making disciples- has to do with our edification. If we don't teach, then it is on us!
      Oh those Methodists! John Wesley was all about grace and forgiveness and justification through faith- so our company line is we don't preach about sin and the punishments for sin! I guess a good pastor would weave that in to a message at times! ;)
      Ahh...ok...I see what you say with God our Father and Jesus our Lord...
      Good points to talk about and think about Donna. Thanks

      Delete
  2. Sounds like you had a wonderful day yesterday and what a great way to take advantage of the great weather!
    Yes we do need to remember that God is present during our struggles. I have the poem Footprints on my wall in my bedroom as a reminder. I also find it hard to believe that the living God that a pray to would give eternal destruction to those who do not know him.
    Pastor Paul I for one think it would be okay to miss responding to our comments sometimes. Go out and enjoy those animals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My day was great. I enjoy the time in the mountains- quiet, peaceful, and my thoughts. Really gives me time to connect with God on a different level!
      I am becoming more open and understanding that God is present, even in the struggles. It is hard because we are thinking of our selves or whatever the situation is...but God is there. The Footprints poem is a great reminder! My slide background for this series I am doing (being and making disciples) is of footprints in the sand. I am sure few people made that connection, but that's what I thought of when I came up with the idea for the background.
      My God loves all people and I find it hard to think God will condemn people too.
      Great thoughts and comments Cindy!

      Delete
  3. Cindy That poem Footprints does say it all We may not realize it when we are suffering or may not think it but Yes that is exactly when God carries us Through the storms.
    This Chapter would scare a non believer if they read it and understood it that their life had better change or they will suffer with Eternal Destruction. For believers it is glorious with the second coming, so we need to stay strong in our faith.
    at times when we are going through "stuff" that is hard to do . I know i have had times when I wonder why is this happening , where is God and why is he punishing me? Probably for my sins and it's a wake up call.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you think people get scared if they realize that they are condemned by God unless they straighten out or become believers? I see the point you are making- but I think contemporary people really don't see God or heaven or hell as a future...does that make sense? We do need to try and spread the message of love and grace and God to all though!
      Punishment for sin?! I don't think God uses bad things to punish us. I think bad things happen and God is there to help us through those times- if we are open to God. I see and understand your thoughts though!
      Thanks Clara!

      Delete
  4. Rhea and I both have struggled with the concept of those who don't know God will be punished. The case in point is our grandchildren. Our son, Dan, is an avowed atheist. He was brought up in the church but a friend of his was in a "way-out" church which had ideas that were outside of the normal. This turned him right off with God and, as a result, our granddaughters are not being brought up in a church. I don't know what his wife, Kristin, believes in, but neither of us want to ask. We are not making any gestures of disapproval as we take a strict hands off policy. This is their business, not ours. If we are asked, that is different. We will not but in. I am a believer, but I don't feel that I have the right to impose my religion on someone else. Enough said.

    We have the poem Footprints displayed in our home also. When I was going through the depths of my depression, I often looked at that poem on the wall. I'm not sure of the strength of my faith was then, but now I realize that God and Jesus were carrying me through what was the worst time of my life. The poem will always be in a prominent place in our home. We also have the Serenity Prayer framed and in a prominent place. This is the AA's prayer, but I believe that it applies to all of us.

    While you are basking in the sunshine, we have 1-2 inches of new snow on the ground and it continues to snow hard. We had a lot of rain before it changed to snow this afternoon and everybody here is happy to see it. I know the snow will probably be gone tomorrow night, but we do need the precipitation as we are in a drought situation here. Believe me, the weather is much nicer here that in New York.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmm...thanks for sharing, Jack. I feel your pain and understand your frustration. As long as you continue to show love to the kids (and the whole family), you are doing what you can. You can probably talk about the importance of Christmas and Easter? It has to be tough being so strong in faith, but having to struggle through this.
    The Serenity Prayer is a great reminder for all of us!
    SNOW?! What?! It was so hot and humid yesterday here! High in the high 80s! Ground is really dry- and we could use some rain too!
    Thanks for sharing Jack!

    ReplyDelete

A Final Post

 Good morning. We did it! The entire New Testament in a year. that is quite a feat! Thank you all for your dedication and work. It wasn'...