Monday, June 7, 2021

2 Timothy 4

 Good afternoon. So much for a schedule!! Anyway, great weekend. Morgan and Bobbi-Jo came home for the weekend. It was nice to have the entire family together! Saturday I officiated a wedding of one of our young people and had so much fun! Sunday was worship at LM followed later by worship at Good Shepherd Endwell- my first time there. There were 8 residents that came. I used the same scripture from worship at LM and gave a brief message of accepting all people and doing what we can to break down walls and barriers. After my short message we had a great chat about life and how respect and acceptance has changed over their life time. I t was great to talk with them! I hope you all had as great a weekend!

This is our last chapter in Timothy and this final chapter contains some of my favorite pieces of scripture. Paul gives some very sentimental and heartfelt words to Timothy and we will sense his anxiety of his upcoming execution. 

Paul "commands" Timothy (some translations say "I charger you...") - very strong words and then adds in this command is made in the presence of God and Christ- wow! As Paul sits in his cold, dark, wet prison cell- he is still cognizant of God and the power of God! What power in the next statement- to preach the Good News! Paul's following words- be ready at all times- got me wondering...are we ready at all times to preach the Good News? Are we able to preach the good news at a moments notice? Are we able to tell people what we are all about? Are we ready to tell people what they need to know? Many people think that the pastor is the one to "preach" the Good News- but is it just their job? How do you feel about "preaching" The Word? At the wedding reception this past weekend, one of the people that attended the wedding came up to me. She asked, "Do you have a minuet?" Sure, I said, as I was trying to compose a wedding prayer in my head, also while thinking- oh no- what did I say that she didn't like! Her question was about the rainbow stole I wear around my cincture (the rope like belt I wear around my waist when I wear a robe; as a local licensed pastor, I am not allowed to wear a stole around my neck that is reserved for ordained clergy- don't even get me started on that!) and the rainbow colored material I have draping the table (altar). I mentioned that it was in support of LGBTQ+ and equality and acceptance for all. This question resulted in a 45 minute talk/discussion of texts and thoughts. Be ready at all times to preach the Good News!

Paul warns Timothy that there will be a time when people won't want to listen to the Good News- and will find something they want to hear (vv 3-4). I sometimes wonder of we are at that time now. People will stick with people that say what they want to hear and will fight with you if you disagree! There is no room for discussion, there is no room for conversation- I am right and you are wrong! Are there people that you know that follow "false teachers" that Paul talks about? How can we know those false teachers? The Bible is often used to "prove" both sides of an argument (look at slavery- the Bible "justified" slavery!). Anyone can find Scripture that supports almost any "cause" so how do we know what is right and what is wrong?

Paul brings in the words, "But you..." (v 5) putting Timothy in opposition to those that are looking for "false teachers". Timothy looks for the truth while "those people" look for fables and tales. Paul encourages Timothy to keep going and stay strong. In some translations, Paul calls Timothy an "evangelist" (mine says "do the work of telling the Good News"). Do you ever get tired or work down from being good? Teaching the Good News? Ministering? Do you think Timothy was getting tired? What about Paul- did he get tired of it and need to be reminded to keep doing the good work?

The next set of verses (vv 6-8) I really love. I found them and used them when I officiated my dad's funeral (12 years ago).  Paul knows his life is close to ending; he knows that he will no longer be able  to spread the Gospel message.  Some translations say "poured out as a drink offering" which goes back to Genesis 35; the pouring out of wine was an acceptable sacrifice for some ceremonies; there is also a Roman idea here too- at the end the evening meal a small cup of wine was poured out to please the gods. Paul is saying, essentially, it is done and I am ready for the day to draw to a close- God I am your sacrifice. Paul is realizing that his "race" is almost over and that he will win that race. Paul often symbolizes Christianity as an athletic competition. The winners of those competitions received a crown of laurel- a symbol of their victory. Paul is ready to receive his crown. The victor's crown (stepahnos) is symbolic that you followed the rules and did your best- you won! Although the word stephanos has been around quite a while- remember the name of the first Christian martyr- Stephen! That same crown of  righteousness is available to us also!

Paul was lonely- he was human- he was locked in a prison and knew life was coming to an end. He beckons Timothy to come to visit (v 9). Could you imagine being locked in death row- few visitors, with some of the friends abandoning you? Demas (v 10) was mentioned before as a faithful worker, but has left because he "loved this world" (i.e. he loved the world more than God). The pain that Paul must feel when a "good" worker leaves! Do you have people that were committed to God/church, but left because they "loved the world"? The others Paul mentioned leave for other reasons, but seem to still be faithful. Luke is the only one left (v 11). If you remember, Paul's first imprisonment in Rome he had many visitors (Acts 28:30+). Paul is truly alone- and probably afraid. An interesting note- Paul calls for Mark- a sign of reconciliation. They left each other (Acts 15:36+) with some disagreement. Paul asks Timothy to go to Troas to get his cloak- probably a result of an arrest. Soldiers were allowed to take any "extra" garments (i.e. not clothing but extra "luggage") from prisoners. He also asks for his books and "Parchments". Even on death row- Paul was looking to read and study (what an inspiration to me when I have a 16 month old running around the house!). The parchments may have been parts of the Hebrew Bible. Paul then warns about Alexander; he seems like a government informer or something like that because of the "harm" he did to Paul. He may have been a "spy" for the Romans to befriend Paul and other Christians and then throw them to the lions!

The next verse (v 16) almost makes me cry. Paul's message- don't ever give up! And don't hold grudges! Paul knew that God was with him and that same God is with us! Even in his final days- Paul is thinking of his friends: Priscilia and Aquila, Onesiphorus' family and others. Can you imagine that- about to die- and thinking of others! Paul's final words (v 22) reflect his love for God and Christ and that it be given to Timothy.

I really loved this last chapter. Such emotion and feelings for Timothy. You can really feel Paul's anxiety= yet calmness. May we all know that!

Tomorrow we begin Titus- another personal letter from Paul- primarily with instructions about being a bishop/elder in the church.

Have a great rest if the day! Thanks fro your hard work and commitment!

Peace+
Pastor Paul



10 comments:

  1. Paul continues to encourage Timothy to teach and preach of the Lord. Keep a clear mind and don't be afraid of suffering for the lord as there will be times that you will suffer for Him. Paul says he has finished the race and is ready to meet the Lord. You can feel Paul's loneliness as he says all have gone except for Luke. He wants Timothy to come soon and bring ahis coat probably because his cell is cold. He wants his papers also and for Timothy to bring Mark so apparently Paul and Mark are friends again and all is forgiven between them Paul also sends his greetings to Priscilla and Aquilla and others.
    Paul seems to feel so alone altho he knows Christ is with him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is quite a bit of emotion tied up in these final words from Paul. You can feel his loneliness as he was deserted by everyone. Can yo imagine how he must feel?
      Thanks for the thoughts Clara!

      Delete
  2. This chapter is so very sad. And so strong. Am I ready for every instant to preach the Good News? Sad to say, I don't think I am! But reading this and reading Paul's instructions to stay ready "in season, out of season" I hope that I am more diligent! I think it is not JUST the "preachers" job to spread the Good News but all of ours - especially since we are all given that command. I think vs. 6 and 7 are so very very sad!! I can't imagine writing a letter like this to my "child". But it seems like in vs. 6 and 7 Paul feels that his death is imminent but in later vs. it seems like Paul might still be holding out some hope - asking for his cloak (as I am sure he was very very cold) and his books, parchments and even friends to visit. He must have felt very alone an deserted by those that he once thought loved him and God.

    Is Mark the child in the garden of Gethsemane? I think it was????

    it is so sad that at this time Paul is thinking about those that left him - or, I guess, rather left God and those that brought false witness against him at the "trial". I hope that Paul also remembered all the wonderful things he did during those 30 years!! Sometimes we do seem to remember the sad parts of our lives or those times we wish we had done something different/better!

    I liked vs. 16 - after those men who spoke against Paul at his first court hearing he is asking God to not hold it against them. I am not sure I would feel the same!!!

    Did Timothy ever see Paul again?

    I hope so!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This final chapter is gut wrenching. I do feel for Paul!
      Great comment/thought about having to write something like this to your own child- I can't even imagine!
      One thing about Paul- he always had hope. He knew his time was close- but that hope was there. And like he said several times- I am ready to die, for to die I know I will be with the Lord. He was able to accept this death as best as he could.
      Good question about Mark. I will have to do some work on this. He may have been the author of Mark's Gospel; he was on the first missionary journey with Paul and Barnabs, but left them (deserted them) when he was in Pamphylia- we aren't sure whyhe left, but there were some hard feelings.
      Good point- we do remember the things we have done wrong more than what we have done right. Did Paul know the good he did..much of what he accomplished I don't really know if he knew about.
      I don't think Timothy ever got to see Paul- but I will work on that one. Good question.
      Thanks Donna!

      Delete
  3. Yes, a very sad chapter. Paul has given his whole life in service to God. This reminds me that every day another small part if our lives is going by. I’m writing at night time and I often ask myself at night if I feel I spent the day in a good way. I think about things that have gone on in the day and I wonder if I was patient enough, listened well enough, was kind enough. What could I have done better. Some of these things I pray about. These readings, the thinking time, and the writing time are an important thing to do I think. I wish more people took the opportunity to do what we are doing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure Paul had time to reflect while in prison. Do we reflect often? I know I sometimes will sit after worship and wonder what just happened- but I focus on the negatives. We do need to look at the positives and find the good in what we do. Make each day count!
      Good thoughts Cathy!

      Delete
  4. I am happy that you had a fun filled weekend with your family and the wedding.

    The clock just struck 11 here and I can't believe it is that late. For you folks in the East, it is 1 AM!

    Paul must have felt depression, loneliness, and other ills as he knew his execution was nearing. I am wondering how they executed folks in that day. I don't think they had guns, so the firing squad was out. There probably was no way to do it quickly and humanely, so it was most likely painful and inhumane. Nothing to look forward to.

    It is a small wonder that he wanted people to come and visit and bring him some of the things he held dear. If it were me, I would want to see as many people as I could both to take my mind off of what was coming as well as to say good by.

    I don't think that I am a good person to go out and preach the Good News. There is too much about it that I don't know that somebody could certainly trip me up. Also, I don't believe in imposing my religion on somebody else, especially if I don't know the person. I realize that this is a cop out, but it is how I feel. To me, it is just like when the Jehovah's Witnesses come to the door. How I worship is none of their business. Is this the right attitude? Probably not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am very comfortable talking about my faith. I don't know if that is spreading the good word. I am very quick to say this is my belief because I think we have the freedom to choose what we believe. I will speak up though if your opinion is unkind.
      I so admire Paul on his passion and how he lived his life. To keep his faith when he knew it would cost him his life is hard to imagine. I watched the movie Milk last night that is about Harvey Milk who was the first openly gay person to hold public office. He was so passionate about his cause that ultimately cost him his life.
      Cathy it is a good idea to do a check of ourselves at the end of the day.

      Delete
    2. I can;t even begin to imagine the emotional pain Paul is in. Depression and sadness- true. But he also was full of joy knowing that his death would bring him closer to Jesus! Imagine that!
      Eusebius, an early church historian, details that Paul's execution was by beheading. He was probably not crucified (as many Christians and other criminals were) because he was a Roman citizen and Roman citizens were exempted from crucifixion! (Yahoo!) We don't have any Biblical accounts.
      It is hard to "preach" and evangelize. Some have the gift, some not so much...but if the opportunity comes- we all can do it!
      Good points Jack! Thanks for sharing!

      Delete
  5. Cindy- talking about your faith is a way to spread the Good News! Keep doing it!! Good for you to be able to speak up when needed!
    I do so admire Paul's passion and drive. I wish I had that!
    I have to watch Milk...I have heard about it. Thanks for the suggestion!
    Good comments and thoughts Cindy- Thanks

    ReplyDelete

A Final Post

 Good morning. We did it! The entire New Testament in a year. that is quite a feat! Thank you all for your dedication and work. It wasn'...