Monday, June 21, 2021

Matthew 5

 Good morning and welcome back....what a great weekend! Dinner with some good friends on Friday followed by a few days of work. Sherri and I are prepping for a week of camping at Chenango Valley State Park (leaving in a few hours) so nit sure how consistent my commentary will be this week. I don't know what internet access is like in the park! I will try my best...but keep reading if I fail!

Father's Day landed me a strawberry- rhubarb pie! My favorite!!


Chapter 5 is quite lengthy with lots of small stories- Matthew's typical method of teaching.

The first story we come to is Matthew's version of the sermon on the mount. For some reason, there were many many people following Jesus (v 1). Did they know about him? He hadn't done anything in the public eye, so it is interesting that he has such a great following now. My text says Jesus went up on a hill, some translations say "mountain". The idea was so that he could be seen by all and his voice would be better carried to the mass of people. He sat, a common posture for teachers of the time. Could you imagine your pastor sitting while teaching?!  The next piece of text says "his followers" (or some translations say "disciples"); we have been introduced only to a few (but it assumed he has selected all 12 by this point) and the message he is teaching is directed at them- rather than the crowd. The crowd was collateral learners! He delivers the "Sermon on the Mount" which is essentially Christianity boiled down to the basic essential parts. It is not political; there are no direct comments against the ruling parties; there is no declaration of war. This is not what was expected- the people expected that the coming Messiah would incite a riot and fight against the rulers of the day! This is probably one of Jesus' most famous sermons and is referenced by most all clergy many times in a year.

The sermon begins with the beatitudes...the "attitudes we should be" if we profess to be Christians. These are marks/goals/ characteristics of all Christians. Poor in spirit" (v 3) is a reference to our sin and rebellious nature; we are rewarded when we recognize that sin and we beg/ask for forgiveness. This is the first beatitude- our first step to obtaining a relationship with God. The "mourning" (v 4) is thought (by several commentaries)  to reference the feelings we have when we acknowledge our sin. When we realize our sinful nature- we feel mournful from it. The Original Greek word used indicated an intense guttural feeling of sadness and mourning. Do we feel that way when we realize of sinful nature? The word "meek" (v 5) is best translated to the feeling of humbleness.  Meek gives the impression of easily pushed over or stepped on; humbleness is a different attitude/emotion; strength under control. The first two beatitudes were more inward directed. This one is an outward directed feeling. Hunger and thirst for righteousness (v 6) implies an intense, passionate search for justice and righteousness. Hunger is not fulfilled with a small snack- it is an intense feeling. Do we have that hunger for righteousness? Seeking mercy and peace (vv 7-8), promoting these qualities are some of the culminating goals of Christians. Once we know that mercy and peace offered by God, we are more able to pass that on to others and promote those feelings. Do we do that? Jesus ends this message with the hard words- you will be persecuted, you will be ridiculed, you will be hurt, you may even die (vv 10-12)! Consider yourself blessed when those happen to you. If those things happen to you, then you are upsetting the apple cart, attempting to change the status quo. Part of Jesus' philosophy was that the world has to change; the powers that are in control are not working for the good of all. In my opinion- I think that is still true today! I don't think we are ridiculed or persecuted or hurt; I don't know of anyone close to me that has died for the Gospel. But it does happen!

Jesus prompts his followers to be like salt and light (vv 13-16). Salt was a precious commodity; Roman soldiers were sometimes paid in salt, giving us the phrase "worth his salt." Salt is a preservative and use as a flavoring. We are to be like that, precious, flavoring the world with goodness and kindness and preserving the qualities of peace and grace. Are we worth our salt? To be light for the world is a great responsibility. We are to turn those dark corners into light, we are to rid the darkness from the world, to get the evil out. It is interesting to read; Jesus said You are the light..." (v 14). He never said we could be, he said we are! We don't have an out here! The world is rotting and decaying- as salt- we need to preserve what is left; the world is covered with darkness- we need to fill it with light!

Jesus begins a long discussion on the law (vv 17- 20). His commentary, Like Paul's that we have talked about before, is that Jesus doesn't destroy the law. They are important and will always be important. Jesus came to make us free from the law (contrary to what the Pharisees and Sadducees were saying). Jesus challenged the interpretation of the law (especially laws of  the Sabbath)- but never broke the laws. The commandments are critical for life to function (v19-20). Those re to be followed and taught to all. When I think of the commandments- no killing, no stealing, no cheating, honor parents, etc...it makes sense. If we follow them, then the rest will fall into place!

Jesus goes on to do some explaining of some of the laws- not in opposition to Moses, but to show where we have fallen short. The common thought of the day was that murder was wrong (vv 21- 22), but anything short of murder was acceptable. Jesus says no! We need to get along is essentially the message he tells us here. Yah, murder is wrong, but so is anger and hate! Don't call people names, don't do harm, just get along! Jesus considers reconciliation more important than religious obligation (vv 23- 24). Partially, if your upset with someone or angry, then your offering to God isn't really an offering that you are "conscious" of...you are just going through the motions. How can you offer something to God with ate or anger on your heart.  Reconcile first, clear you mind, then you will be in a position to seek God. 

Jesus tackles sexual sin now (vv 27-30). The teaching of the day was the action of adultery was bad, but thoughts were "OK" Jesus is correcting the people saying that even the thoughts are wrong. One can commit adultery in the heart as well as in the body. 

Regarding divorce (vv 31-32), Jesus clarifies the common thought that divorce could happen over anything at anytime. Jesus says that the only acceptable grounds for divorce is adultery by the woman (doesn't say anything about the man!). In my opinion- divorce is OK for several reasons (other than adultery). I think one problem we run into is that marriage is so easy to do that people get caught up in marriage before they realize who their partner is! We don't really have any "marriage classes" or mechanisms to have people really now who they are and who their partners are!

Some great words from Jesus (vv 33-37): Yes means yes, no means no. If you swear an oath then you use God's name. If you break that promise, then you break a promise to God! Tell the truth, be honest about your abilities and desires. If you can't or don't want to do something- just say no! Don't promise and then not do it!

Jesus calls into question some of the other thoughts of the time. The "eye for an eye" concept is in Hammurabi's Code (a set of laws discovered in 1900, written late 1700 BC; Exodus was written 1400-ish BC). Jesus is telling us to let God take care of the offender- no retaliation. Can we do that? Don't we like retaliation?! Jesus was a great model for no retaliation! A few finer points of these words too. People would traditionally slap with their right hand; if you you turned your cheek, then they would have to slap with their left hand. Slapping with "the other hand" meant to slap someone with your hand that you would do your "bathroom business" with. That was just a wrong- nobody ever did that! Under Mosaic law, you could never take away someone's cloak- so to give your cloak to someone who sued for your tunic would insult them more than you. And finally, under Roman law, a person could be commanded to haul a guard's pack for one mile- and only one mile. So, again, to walk an extra mile was something that was illegal for the other person. 

The closing words of this chapter (vv 43- 48) are the whole some of the Gospel message and a true characteristic of Christians- love all people. Period! Not sue what else to say about this! CAn we do that- love all people?

That's all I have for today. We are going to start packing and getting things ready. I hope to be back on tomorrow, but, like I said, not sure about internet access at State Park. I will do my best.

Have a great day!

Shalom+
Pastor Paul




8 comments:

  1. I never really thought about this - but when reading this chapter, the comments said - The word blessed means more than happy because happiness is an emotion often dependent on outward circumstances. Blessed in the Beatitudes refers to the ultimate well-being and distinctive spiritual joy of those who share in the salvation of the kingdom of God. I find that rather cool. Divorce is hard on me - since I have been - and honestly reconciling with some people. I can pray for them, try to understand their actions, maybe even forgive in some instances - but reconcile? To enter back into the relationship is only asking for more pain. And I understand the point that is made in vs. 43 - 47 - love your enemy - not just lip service - but can I? Love? That is difficult for me. If Jesus was allowed to speak in the synagogues (which I understand was the custom for rabbis to be invited) and allowed to speak of the kingdom - when did the feelings for what Jesus spoke about change to suspicion and hate? And since he did travel around and speak in the synagogues, I am sure a lot of people knew him by hearing him speak there. And drawing a lot of attention because of what He was talking about!

    Have fun camping!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like your comment and words on "blessed" When I think of blessed- it is much more than happy. It is that gut feeling of satisfaction and life (does that make sense?).
      Reconciliation is hard isn't it! I remember back when the Wyoming conference was still around- we had a reconciliation service (for acts of slavery I think) but it was just actions- reconciliation is really hard- to mend those hurts, to love, to forgive and go on!
      The Pharisees and Sadducees began to not trust Jesus almost immediately! They saw him undermining their authority and their importance in the towns. The common person listened to Jesus and probably didn't understand everything he was saying, but did hear good words from him. Does that make sense??
      Good ideas Donna! Thanks!

      Delete
  2. Jewus teaches of the blessing of God meaning i think joy and hope to be one of His children and why and what we must be to be blessed. Mournful, Humble,seek justice, show mercy etc.
    He tells of being salt of the earth and letting our lights for Jesus shine for all to see. he speaks of anger It was said that we should never go to bed angry at our spouse of even our children altho i have had times that i have found that i have done exactly that anger really doesn't solve anything I have learned over the years but it is a temptation for us nevertheless.
    He also speaks of divorce but I am finding that hard since after 13 years of my marriage I was divorced and after 11 yrs I did marry again I hope that doesn't keep from bring in God's Kingdom.
    Loving your enemies is probably something that most of us need work on and forgiveness right along with the loving part.

    Enjoy your camping vacation Hope the weather is good for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point- anger solves nothing!! But it is an emotion so instinctual to use- as animals- that we resort to it quickly!
      I don't think divorce will prevent anyone from entering God's kingdom. There are "good" reasons for divorce and I support it with counseling. When kids are involved it add a whole new dimension though.
      Thanks for the thoughts Clara!

      Delete
  3. Oh Gosh, I'm having a lot of difficulty with this chapter. I'm not surprised because I have questioned a lot so far. (I tend to question everything). This chapter like every other was written a long time after the fact. I feel that the author or authors of these books were not quoting Jesus. How could they be? 70 yrs after events happened.
    I take away from this that Jesus wants us to live in the best possible way but some of this is virtually impossible.
    We were gifted with minds and the ability to think about things. I think God wants us to think and to make good decisions. But committing adultery by just thinking lustful thoughts? You may be thrown into prison because you do not settle matters with an adversary immediately? Only women commit adultery? and on and on.
    I can't agree with all this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You bring out some really good thoughts Cathy! This was written 70-ish years after Jesus. These cannot be first hand accounts and actual words from Jesus. But the ideas we get are what you say- live as good as we can.
      In ancient times- women were the blame for lots of stuff! I definitely don't agree with that either. Much of those feelings come from Eve and the "apple". Common "theology" is Adam would have been fine in Eden if Eve didn't give him the apple!
      We don't have to agree with everything- we need to look for the message of goodness and drive to do good.
      Thanks for sharing thoughts Cathy!

      Delete
  4. Good grief! After reading this chapter, all I could think of is that there is no good in me at all, and I am 100% sinful. I know that I am a sinner as we all are, but to be that bad! (I had a bad case of the lost cursor just now. Every once in a while, it disappears and it did so a few moments ago. I found it, however.)

    For example: anger. Jesus said not to get angry at anybody. One thing that I have learned over the years is that if I do not express anger, I bottle up my emotions and this leads to increased blood pressure and a whole host of physiatric (sp??) problems - which are best avoided. So I have to take issue with this one.

    The next example: lust. If I was convinced that I was going to h@@@ every time I looked at an attractive woman's forbidden parts, I would already be there. I am certainly on my way and I know that I am not alone.

    For a person to live up to Jesus's "standards" (I know that this is not a good way to express this, but it is the best I could do at the moment), he (or she) would have to live a life that is devoid of all meaning, happiness, anger, lust, and so on. All I can think of is what a dull and boring life this would be. I am not saying to go out and raise h@@@, but a person has to have some means of enjoyment and happiness in life or he/she will end up in a straight jacket. It is human nature, and, try as we may, we are not going to change that.

    Now that I have finished, I have to admit that I feel terrible about what I have just written.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hahahaha Jack! I hear you! We are all wicked and evil- right?!
    As much as Jesus taught against anger- there are a few instances where he used anger! So we are good there- to a point!
    You bring up some good points! Life is strange. We have these pre-programmed animal instincts (hunger, thirst, sexuality, anger, etc...) that are difficult to control at times. The point that Matthew is making through Jesus' words is that we are to strive for goodness. We will slip, we will back slide, but there is forgiveness and grace if we continue to move in a positive forward direction.
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts Jack!

    ReplyDelete

A Final Post

 Good morning. We did it! The entire New Testament in a year. that is quite a feat! Thank you all for your dedication and work. It wasn'...