Monday, June 28, 2021

Matthew 6

 Good morning and it is good to be back! Busy week, but fun seeing some good friends and spending time away from the busy-ness of the world. 

Lauren and Chris and Joseph will be back from their Myrtle Beach trip (to see his parents) late tomorrow, so life will be getting back to our crazy new normal for a while again! It will be good to have them home again for a while until they eventually move to the Albany area.

We pick up chapter 6 in Matthew this morning. This is a continuation of Matthew's perspective of the Sermon on the Mount. 

Jesus begins this chapter with a "warning" or reminder that when we do good, we don't need to have all people know about it. God sees what our actions are, and God knows if our actions are righteous...are we doing good to do good or are we doing good to be noticed by others and put up on a pedestal? It was a custom to literally blow trumpets (v 2) when someone gave a large offering! We certainly don't do that, but do we notice people that too proudly give their offerings? Or make comments like, "I have given so much to this church..." In our "current" world- people (families) did purchase pews with their own money, and it was noted by the church leaders; the lower class people got to stand in the back and enjoy worship! Jesus uses the word "hypocrite" (v 2); the Greek word "hypocrite" means actor! How many "actors" are there in your church? It is good just to do good.

Public prayer is addressed next. There are a few times when Jews would pray publicly: at the synagogue (if asked to lead communal prayer) or at prayer times (9AM, noon, 3PM) if they were out in public. Jesus cautions, as in giving, to prayer for God not for men. Public prayer is acceptable, but you don't have to stand on a soap box and let everyone know you are praying! Are we praying to God or using God as a tool to impress others? Jesus talks about going in to the "closet" to pray (v 6). The actual word was for a store room here treasures and valuable goods are kept. The concept then is that we talk with God among the valuable things in our life- God is valuable to us. Jesus then goes on and basically says, "Say what you have to say and be done." There is no need for long winded, repetitive words that don't mean anything (v 7). I think we know those people that just go on and on and on and never really say anything! I hope I am not one of them!

Jesus then provides a model for prayer (Matthew's interpretation of the Lord's prayer). We all know the Lord's prayer; we have probably said it a million times! But, do we really know the Lord's prayer. Look at the words that Jesus models, write out the words we say. What do they mean? Do we really mean what we pray or has it become just wrote memorization? Do we really keep God's name holy (v 9)? Do we really want God's will to be done here on earth (v 10)? We do really want daily provisions for life (v 11). Jesus wasn't talking in metaphorical ideas here, I think Jesus was really desiring daily food and provisions. We do want our sins forgiven (or trespasses- depending on your denomination!), but do we really forgive others (v 12)? God does not tempt us, but does allow "tests" to happen in our life (v 13). Look at the story of Job! In our weakness, we do not want temptations to happen! The closing lines give credit to God and God's awesomeness. My translation does not include the familiar ending: "For thine is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever." There is some controversy as to the authenticity of these words. Many scholars believe that these words were added later by some author other than Matthew- so many translations do not have them!

Jesus addresses another aspect of religious life: fasting. He started with giving, then moved on to prayer and ends with fasting. Jesus expected his followers to fast. there were several days in the Jewish year that required fasting as part of the religious observance. The Pharisees would fast twice a week (Thursday and Monday to represent the ascent and descent of Moses from Mount Sinai). As with the giving discussion- Jesus says we don't have to let others know what we are doing. We are fasting for God and our worship experience! We should live our life as usual, and hold the fasting covenant with God- not with men.

We have two options when it comes to treasures (v 19). These are words warning against covetousness- the desire and rive to want and want and want. Earthly treasures aren't inherently bad- but they have no ultimate value either. The issue is when we spend our life trying to obtain more at the expense of helping and assisting others. There is always the joke that you never see a U-Haul truck following a hearse! The ancient Egyptians were buried with their gold and riches, assuming that they would follow them too heaven. However, when we unearth the tombs of the great pharaohs, we find all their gold and riches still there. My mom died about 7 years ago. When we were closing her estate down she had essentially no money. She lived in an apartment in her last years; had her cherished things; she always would do for people- give money, buy food, clothes, etc, and offer what she had to them.  As we looked at the final dollar line and the material things left in her apartment, I made the comment (something like) "Seventy years of life and this is all she has." My nephew, Liam (the one I hiked with a few weeks ago) said, "Yah, this is all she has because she gave everything away." I think God was smiling that day; I didn't know Mom's theology- but she knew money wasn't important if she was happy. 

Jesus moves to the role of biology teacher in the next set of verses, discussing our eyes. We have said things about this concept before. Eyes are the window to the soul. They are able to perceive light (goodness) and dark (evil). We can chose to focus on light or dark...but that focus then determines our fate and role. Our eyes are either directed to heavenly things (light) or evil things (dark). We get to decide- God doesn't push one way of the other.

In closing this chapter, Jesus reminds us- don't worry. We can get tangled up in the tangible things of our life, but they are meaningless when it comes to the big picture. We should be concerned about the right things- the ultimate issues of life. Jesus then gives us the well known examples of "lack of worry" the birds of the air, the lilies of the field. I need to listen to these words more. My worry and anxiety is through the roof many days in my life. I worry about everything. I need to stop and look at the flowers in my gardens and the birds at our feeders- they are content just being themselves. When today is done, today is done. Tomorrow will have its own set of trials and tribulations to deal with!

It is good to be back and thinking again! I have missed the time and reflection this study has offered me!

Thank you for the grace this last week.

Shalom+
Pastor Paul


8 comments:

  1. Welcome Back! I am glad your week was good! And now the children come back into your lives! How exciting.

    I enjoy Matthew! It hits the highlights and I like that.

    In Israel there is a very loud sound on loud speakers that calls Muslims to prayer - it happens 5 times a day - and you can hear it everywhere! I know there is some controversy about that now among the Jews, but, when I was there and heard it I thought it was pretty cool that there was a reminder to pray. Not a demand (except by the Muslim religion) but a reminder. I would love to have a reminder to pray (since I am bad at it) - even during my work day or even during play - to remind us all to bring our thoughts back to God - no matter what denomination or religion. My translation does have the last words to the Lord's prayer in Matthew but does not have them in Luke. And I have noticed that my son's church - which is catholic - now says the last words after a prayer between "deliver us from evil" and "For thine is the kingdom"

    I do have a bit of a concern for versus 25-34. I do believe that God provides, however, to live as vs. 25 indicates, I don't quite think that is a good thing. I think we do need to think about what we eat, drink, what we will wear. I believe that God will provide us the means we will need in order to get what we will eat, drink, wear - but to sit back and have no thought about it and just wait to be provided - not sure I agree with that completely. Or maybe it's just too simply stated. But I do like vs. 34.

    Stay cool

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Matthew is packed with quick action and lots of stories. He really doesn't go into much detail (as Luke does) but there are many stories for us to read!
      We all could use a reminder to pray! Maybe set an alarm on our phones since we are all glued to them all the time!
      It is strange that different denominations have different versions of the Lord's prayer...and some say debts/debtors rather than tresspasses...
      I think what Matthew was saying in v 25 was to not get caught up in dressing/eating to impress. Much of this sermon, although delivered to the common person, was directed at the Pharisees and Sadducees- who were always looking to "one up" someone else.
      I need to remember v 34- today will have enough problems, I don't need to worry about tomorrow!
      Good points Donna. Thanks!

      Delete
  2. so glad we are back . I am enjoying this so much . Glad you had an enjoyable week even though you were back and forth a lot. one thing about yesterday and feeding the multitude . Matthew mentions 5000 men plus the women and children showing once again the women and children seem to be lesser So with the women and children how many were really fed?? of course I know the important part is that they were fed from 5 loaves and 2 fish. (Just a thought from yesterday)

    This chapter is so great as it reminds us of many things. what we should and should not do. Basically I think it's saying to think of God and not to put anything aver him. We don't need to show anyone or brag about giving fasting etc. God sees all and know all what we do He is watching us! Praying in public is okay i thhink it is saying but we don't need to pray to a point where we are showing off or bragging. Jesus also says we shouldn't worry but that is a very hard thing not to do especially if one is in a position where they don't have the dollars for food clothing and shelter and have worries for caring for their loved ones. I know that it says God will provide but when in those kinds of situations it would be hard to keep faith.. Thank God I have never been in that kind of situation.
    I do love the last verse it reminds me so much of the song from "Annie" "The sun will come out tomorrow"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is good to be back...I like routine and the last week there was no routine! My anxiety was through the roof!!
      Good question about the feeding of the multitudes. Like you say- the men were the important ones! Women and children were just there! I was going to talk more about that on Sunday, but I was getting long winded so I decided not to go there! It could be a safe assumption that all (or most all) the men were married and had maybe two children. So, 5000 men + say 3000 women + say 6000 children adds up to lots of people!!
      True- this chapter was about God being our focus and important view. Faith is hard when things are not going well for you and your family is hungry or cold. I am thankful I have never really been in that position as an adult. I am grateful for what I have...I think that is where Jesus was going. be thankful or what you have!
      Good song to bring in for this chapter- The sun will come out tomorrow (and its going to be hot!)
      Great thoughts Clara! Thanks!

      Delete
  3. Well I thought I would keep up while I was on vacation but I did not. We spent a week on a lake in the Blue Ridge mountains with our family. It was so wonderful to all be together.
    I think we can all agree that it is so important to do good deads. It is not only beneficial to you as well as others. It feeds your sole. Boasting about giving praying or really anything diminishes the act. I do think when fundraising if someone sees what another has done it encourages others to act sometimes.
    I agree worrying does solve anything but it is easier said than done. I am definitely a worrier. I try to to remember the words...if you worry about tomorrow you miss the joy of today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Blue Ridge mountains are so beautiful! Glad you had a chance to be there with family! I remember going there for a camping trip when I was younger...have to get back!
      The main theme for this chapter was not being too proud- like you say. People do like to show off and many people are always trying to be just a little bit better than the person next to them. . Not sure why we are like that?!
      So true- it easier said than done...stop worrying! How?! There is so much to worry about! I have learned some to focus on the now (and having Joseph with me helps). And not working definitely helps!
      Great thoughts Cindy! Thanks

      Delete
  4. I'm glad we're back at it too, I think. I really do have a lot of difficulty with some of the things written but I keep telling myself to keep things in context.
    I am a champion worrier and stress and anxiety are with me always. I have found one thing. In a couple of our readings, Paul said "mind your own business". I was really struck by that and have thought about it A LOT. I am really trying to practice it. You see, if you truly mind your own business that takes away a lot of extra stuff that you have not control over. Here is an example: The other day my sister was complaining to me that my granddaughters and her granddaughter (very near in age) haven't seen each other in a long time. Covid started the separation and no one has reached out since. She was very annoyed with both of our children for not getting these little girls together. My response to her was "this isn't our business." We are not the parents of the children and have no control over what these families do. There's no use of "chewing" on this issue. We need to let it go. I'm not sure she liked that answer but the conversation was over and it was a relief to me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When we read the Bible, we do need to remember context! In any reading- context is important. Who wrote it? Why? To whom? As an example, I preached on Jesus feeding the multitudes this past Sunday. Matthew, Mark, and Luke have the beheading of John (Jesus' cousin) in the chapter before- so Jesus was grieving when he did the miracle. John has nothing about that and has Jesus talking about his authority from God and the feeding takes place just prior to Passover (foreshadowing of Passion week).
    Mind your own business- but it is hard sometimes! Especially when family is concerned. We are struggling with some things at our home and I need to remember- it isn't my call! They need to make their own decisions! Its hard to do that though!
    Good thoughts Cathy! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

A Final Post

 Good morning. We did it! The entire New Testament in a year. that is quite a feat! Thank you all for your dedication and work. It wasn'...