Monday, November 29, 2021

Revelation 5

 Good morning and welcome back. I hope you all had a great Thanksgiving and were able to be with family. I so much enjoyed spending time with the kids. It was nice to be together and just have fun! One of the first things Joseph asked for after we got there was coffee! This past summer when they were with us, our morning routine was coffee on the back deck. Mine was hot and black and strong; his was warmed milk with cinnamon and vanilla! I love our little tradition!

Just had to show off the kid!

Now back to Revelation! Thanks for all the commentary and discussion! It is great to see the interaction and thoughts that we all have. It is interesting to read peoples' thoughts and see things from a different perspective!

Remember, we left John at the throne with God. Jack had an interesting question- is God always on the throne? Thoughts??

The focus of chapter 4 was the throne; in this chapter it is the scroll held by God. The first "unusual" point is that the scroll is written on both sides; typically scrolls were only written on the "inside". Ancient scrolls were read horizontally (not vertically) and they were written in columns about 3 inches wide. Typically, scrolls were held in the left hand and unrolled with the right. A scroll for Revelation would be approximately 15 feet long! After a scroll was written, it was tied closed with string and then the knot of the string was sealed with wax; this scroll had seven strings and seven seals (seven churches). We don't know what is written, but whatever is written on this scroll- only Jesus is worthy enough to read it. There are lots of ideas as to what might be written on the scroll: God's "divorce" papers from Israel; the "deed" to the earth for humans; the text of Revelation; God's "sentence" against the enemies of the church. Will we ever know?

John weeps. Does he weep from joy? From sadness? From fear?

An elder (remember there were several near the throne) comes and calms John down. The Lion of the Tribe of Judah (Genesis, Isaiah, Hosea) and the Root of David (Isiah) are references to Jesus. The elder is the one to announce that Jesus is worthy to open the seals. John turns, expecting to see a lion, and instead he sees a Lamb! It is alive and standing, yet has the marks of sacrifice (slit throat). Does this seem like a symbol of power? Now things begin to get strange! The lamb has seven horns and seven eyes. The seven horns representing omnipotence (unlimited power) and the seven eyes representing omniscience (all seeing and all knowing). Remember- seven is a "perfect" number. The Lamb reaches up and takes the scroll from God. The only One worthy enough to do that. 
"Lamb of God" (NM Rosario, Deviant Art)

Immediately, worship and praise. All the creatures gathered bow down in worship with harps (how many times have we seen images of angles with harps- this is where it comes from!). The incense is burned as a pleasing odor and intimately tied with prayer and spirituality (Psalm 141:2). Incense burning is traditional in the Catholic church; I have been burning incense for several months at Little Meadows; several people have noticed it!

The song the elders sing emphasizes God's acts of redemption and forgiveness. The angels then join in. Thousands and thousands of voices joined together in singing! There is power in that. One of the great joys I have had in my ministry is processing in to the ordination service at conference with all the clergy. We are all robed in our vestments and we all sing in unison (usually "O For a Thousand Tongues"); it is such a God moment to hear all the voices combined! I can't imagine what John experienced here! Every creature- EVERY creature- worshipped God and the Lamb. 

What a powerful worship experience John had!

This was a great chapter and I hope you all like it! In the next chapter, the seals are broken and the words are "read". It isn't so nice and pretty! Be ready!

Have a great rest of the day!

Shalom+
Pastor Paul



10 comments:

  1. More of John's vision tell of the one sitting on the throne with the scroll in his right hand. I think it was in his right hand as he wanted someone else to open and read it I think john wept because no one seemed worthy of the earth sea etc to open the scroll. Then of course, the One and Only One worthy to open and read it was Jesus the
    Lion and Lamb of God. Because Jesus is worthy all sing and praise Him and fall down and worship Him. I am also noticing the number seven now showing up a lot in this Book, whereas we saw number three previously in other books we have read. This vision was so magnificent and beautiful but I am afraid what is written on this scroll will not be so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good catch- the number 7 (and variations of it like 49 or 7 times 7) will come up often. Seven is symbolic of perfection. And, you are right, the number 3 came up, especially in the Gospels for the trinity!
      Good thoughts

      Delete
  2. PS love the picture of Grandpa and Joseph You look so very happy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am really trying to pay attention as I do these readings. I feel the rest of you seem to have more knowledge and understanding than I do. I can't help but notice the number seven appears often. I know that it has significance but never really knew why.
    What a great picture of you and Joseph. They bring such joy. We had a really nice Thanksgiving. I hope everyone did as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is hard to pay attention to details. Revelation is usually best read as a sci-fi novel almost with no or little discussion. Some of the meaning of the book is lost in discussion!
      The number seven is symbolic of perfection and completeness which comes from 7 days of creation. We will see 7 and variations of 7 often!
      We are all in this together. I taught a bible study on Revelation many years ago, but it is all new to me now too!
      Good thoughts

      Delete
  4. Sweet pic!

    As we are "guessing" as to what is written in the scrolls, I am going to guess that it is the judgment - for us as individuals and for us collectively.

    My translation makes a note on the scrolls written on both sides - the tablets that Moses brought down from the mountain were written on both sides and in Ezekiel - chapter 2 v. 10 says that God spreads a book before Ezekiel and it is written on both sides - the commentary says that it is because there are so many words and "there was written therein lamentations, and mourning, and woe." Is this what is written on these scrolls as well? I kindof think so because there is a lot of bad things to follow. My translation also says that John weeps because "no man was found worthy to open and to read the book, neither to look thereon." That makes me think - sadness? Since the lamb bears marks of being sacrificed but still living, and able to break the seal and read the book - is that Jesus?

    I love the incense!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is so much written that "they" had to use both sides- but it wasn't common to do that! My guess is the material written is bad and end times material!! Ugh!
      The lamb does represent Jesus.
      So much in this book that we are uncovering!
      Thanks!

      Delete
  5. So far, this book reminds me of a Stanley Kubrick film. Very strange! In addition, this is the only book that has garnered my attention. I have reread many chapters, including this one.

    As I have said before, I have trouble understanding symbolism. This is no different. After reading the chapter, Rhea said that the Lamb of God is Jesus. I never thought of that, but now it is obvious. From the Episcopal Book of Common Prayer: “O Lamb of God, who taketh away the sins of the earth, grant us thy peace.” (This may appear in the Methodist hymnal, but I haven’t seen it yet. I’m sure it is a Biblical passage, or it is contained in a psalm.)

    I never have thought of 7 as a perfect number. In the mathematical world, per Google, a “perfect number is a positive integer that is equal to the sum of its proper divisors. [For example,] The smallest perfect number is 6, which is the sum of 1, 2, and 3. … The first 5 perfect numbers are 6, 28, 496, 8128, and 33550336.” 28 is the sum of 2,3,4,7,14. However, this isn't the mathematical world! I’m sure everybody enjoyed this math nonsense!!!

    I loved the picture of the lamb with 7 eyes and 7 horns. It looks so strange to me. I don’t see any trumpets mentioned, although the supporting articles in my NIV translation do mention them. I’m still not sure that I see the symbolism of the lion, however. I imagine that the significance of the scroll being written on both sides is that whatever they used for paper at that time could not be written on both sides. Please tell me if this is not correct.

    I wish we could know what was written on the scroll. However, I am a firm believer that there are some things that we are not supposed to know. This is one of them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think Revelation is best read as a book, straight through, end to end with little or no discussion. Some of the meaning and thoughts get lost when we dissect it. I will definitely read this through again!
    Yes Lamb= Jesus, sometimes Jesus is called the "Paschal lamb" (Paschal = passover)
    I love math! (But not that much!) Seven is perfect because that is how many days God took for creation!
    You are correct with the scrolls- the paper was not able to support that writing, plus the "ink" would bleed through the page.
    Maybe we will find out what is on the scroll!
    Thanks JAck

    ReplyDelete

A Final Post

 Good morning. We did it! The entire New Testament in a year. that is quite a feat! Thank you all for your dedication and work. It wasn'...